IGNORED

Jana's Future 4 - Family Ties

choralcrusader8613

Last thread here:

Jana's still doing everything for her parents at the TTH. As far as we know, she's not gone a-courtin' yet, and her excitement about new babies brought discussion of how many cousins we on FJ do (or don't have). Till the newest Jana news...

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@snickers34said:

To me it's become clear that they don't show absolutely everything going on. With the family being so obviously public, it's clear they focus on family related highlights. I've seen some comments here about how people think they don't have outside friends, but that's seems to not be true. I think they just choose to post only family related stuff on social media, since those are the people that chose to make their life public, not their friends. Plus people are way more interested in their family goings on, so it makes sense not to mention, "my friend Shirley who you don't know is getting married, etc." Noone would care!

Bold is mine- The one reason I can't fully get behind this is because they obviously don't care about exploiting their own children. Why wouldn't they exploit other family and friends if it benefited them too?

2 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

To me it's become clear that they don't show absolutely everything going on. With the family being so obviously public, it's clear they focus on family related highlights. I've seen some comments here about how people think they don't have outside friends, but that's seems to not be true. I think they just choose to post only family related stuff on social media, since those are the people that chose to make their life public, not their friends. Plus people are way more interested in their family goings on, so it makes sense not to mention, "my friend Shirley who you don't know is getting married, etc." Noone would care!

Bold is mine- The one reason I can't fully get behind this is because they obviously don't care about exploiting their own children. Why wouldn't they exploit other family and friends if it benefited them too?

He, yeah, I suppose I should have put more emphasis on the sentence after the bolded. They know their family is the brand, not their rando friends.

So, I finally watched the honeymoon episode, and there was the part where they were making all the older kids say "G'day mate" in an australian accent. When they got to Jana, she couldn't do it - and it wasn't because she literally couldn't, it was because she was afraid to be silly. You could tell she was embarrassed. This made me so sad. The ability to let loose and be silly has really been metaphorically beaten out of them. The girls have to sweet and attractive all the time, and they're not allowed the right to really have fun. Sorry, I know this is off topic, but it just made me sad for her and all the the girls. 

Idk @buggers, there could be truth to that but I would mostly disagree. I would say it has mostly to do with personality because if someone asked me to do some silly accent on national TV, I'd probably pee myself. I'd be so embarrassed! I'm someone that HATES being recorded or photographed because I feel so incredibly awkward and uncomfortable.

It's no surprise that Jana has a very reserved and shy personality. It didn't surprise me that she felt awkward doing the accent. I remember seeing that scene and thinking the same thing as you that she was definitely embarrassed. I thought her embarrassed reaction was cute. Her reaction would have definitely been the same as mine! But yeah Jana is the quietest and most private out of all her sisters. Many have called her boring but to me, IMHO, it's just the way she is. Many people are like that

Sorry. Unpopular opinion but Jana had never shown much personality. The other 3 older girls and Joy are much more interesting to discuss good or bad .

57 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Sorry. Unpopular opinion but Jana had never shown much personality. The other 3 older girls and Joy are much more interesting to discuss good or bad .

No not really to the unpopular opinion part. I've seen a lot of fans say how boring and dry Jana is. How she never has anything really funny or interesting to say and how the rest are much more interesting to talk to. I'm not faulting her for it. Like I've said I think that's just the way her personality is. 

On 4/24/2017 at 10:57 AM, front hugs > duggs said:

@snickers34said:

They consider their children under their domain, they can choose what to post. Their friends are not under their domain and are allowed their privacy. 

what do we know about jana? i mean, what do we really know about her? not what she has had forced on her, but what does she really enjoy? she is a mystery to me, at least. she seems very guarded - whether that is her personality, or just how she chooses to present herself through the media... we don't know.

we won't know anything about jana until she gets married, if she chooses to participate in social media.

6 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

what do we know about jana? i mean, what do we really know about her? not what she has had forced on her, but what does she really enjoy? she is a mystery to me, at least. she seems very guarded - whether that is her personality, or just how she chooses to present herself through the media... we don't know.

we won't know anything about jana until she gets married, if she chooses to participate in social media.

I suspect when she does fly the coup she'll do her damnedest to disappear from public view. 

33 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

I suspect when she does fly the coup she'll do her damnedest to disappear from public view. 

I agree. I think that's why she doesn't want to marry the preacher type that her sisters did, she would have to be on display then. 

7 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

Agreed. I don't think we really know her personality because she is so guarded at all times.  I suspect she may hold very different opinions but has learned how to pretend and say what she needs to survive. When the whole Josh thing was about to happen you could see the disdain on her face at that last show during times Michelle and Josh spoke.

Back to the thread drift from earlier, I have one sister but 17 first cousins on my dad's side, so there are 19 of us total. (Irish Catholic family over here!)  My dad has four sisters and one brother, and they're all pretty close, too. My older cousin just turned 30 and the youngest one is a freshman in high school so we had a LOT of babies for awhile. We all live in the same city, go on vacation together, and are all fairly close; I can count a lot of the other older ones as really close friends. I think it's totally possible to have a large extended family be really close, and I'm sure there are some people that think we're weird for hanging out with each other all the time,  but it will be interesting to see what happens if some of us move away or start having kids.

Back to Jana!

3 hours ago, Snarkle Motion said:

Agreed. I don't think we really know her personality because she is so guarded at all times.  I suspect she may hold very different opinions but has learned how to pretend and say what she needs to survive. When the whole Josh thing was about to happen you could see the disdain on her face at that last show during times Michelle and Josh spoke.

Jana has always seemed more guarded to me, of all the sisters. but also for some reason like she's the most emotional/sensitive one, even though we never see it. During the first CO specials, after both Josh debacles, Jana seemed to be the most devastate of all the family members - even Anna had seemed to have made up her mind and truck on through the decisions she made, by the time she was interviewed for the program. Maybe Jana trusted Josh the most beforehand because she wasn't targeted by him as a child, or maybe because he is her *only* older sibling, or maybe because she and JD were the most "equal" to Josh in age and responsibility to lead the younger siblings, or maybe because she and Anna are close....idk, her interviews during the post-Josh CO specials just really surprised me, at how emotional Jana in particular was on camera.  

Realistically, if Jana gets married and goes on social media, we will likely be disappointed by what she and future hubby posts. Jana is the perfect unicorn now because we know so little about how she thinks. We will likely find out she is pretty much like her sisters and parents and be disappointed to find she isn't a unicorn, just a regular Fundy with the same awful beliefs as the rest of the fundy community. I see no reason to believe Jana hold different beliefs her family or will marry someone who doesn't hold the same beliefs. 

32 minutes ago, socalrules said:

Realistically, if Jana gets married and goes on social media, we will likely be disappointed by what she and future hubby posts. Jana is the perfect unicorn now because we know so little about how she thinks. We will likely find out she is pretty much like her sisters and parents and be disappointed to find she isn't a unicorn, just a regular Fundy with the same awful beliefs as the rest of the fundy community. I see no reason to believe Jana hold different beliefs her family or will marry someone who doesn't hold the same beliefs. 

Jana is Schroedingers Fundie. She might or might not be really fundie. Might or might not be sweet. We just don't know.

5 hours ago, socalrules said:

We will likely find out she is pretty much like her sisters and parents and be disappointed to find she isn't a unicorn, just a regular Fundy with the same awful beliefs as the rest of the fundy community. I see no reason to believe Jana hold different beliefs her family or will marry someone who doesn't hold the same beliefs. 

WORD. We all hope it'll be different, but the second her courtship/engagement is announced, we'll all be crazy disappointed.

Well, we know what she's up to at Big Sandy. Jana Marie is playing babysitter. This is from yesterday. 

I disagree with the sentiment that Jana has no personality or is boring. She strikes me as just more reserved, sensitive, and camera-shy. Not everyone likes being the center of attention. I think there is more to Jana than we see on camera.

As a young woman around Jinger's age, I think Jana might be the only one I could tolerate having more than a 15 minute conversation with. Jana at least seems to have developed interests and hobbies that she's interested and could talk about. The others have literally nothing interesting to define themselves with, and I doubt they have anything meaningful to say outside of their babies and/or husbands. 

So yeah she might come across as dry on camera, but at least she doesn't come across as trying WAY to hard to have personality like some of the other girls. 

8 minutes ago, immodest_countenance said:

Jana at least seems to have developed interests and hobbies that she's interested and could talk about.

yeah, that might be true. she's actually much more handy than the others at least. She comes off as, at the very least, more skilled than the others.

13 hours ago, CoveredInBees said:

I hope so. She impresses me as having some common sense -- an uncommon commodity in that family. Don't overshare; get the lay of the land before rushing into the scene; be quiet & be thought a fool rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt, etc.

Of course if she was reprogrammed at Journey she could be an actual shell of her former self. OR...she could have decided to hold back (see above) as a way of self-preservation. 

Hope she's ok.

41 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

I hope so. She impresses me as having some common sense -- an uncommon commodity in that family. Don't overshare; get the lay of the land before rushing into the scene; be quiet & be thought a fool rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt, etc.

Of course if she was reprogrammed at Journey she could be an actual shell of her former self. OR...she could have decided to hold back (see above) as a way of self-preservation. 

Hope she's ok.

She constantly impresses me with her work ethic. The fact that she doesn't want to talk on camera about their beliefs like Jill is a point in her favor. She is constantly tending to her siblings and her sibling's children, she gardens, makes dresses, responds to crises when Josie has a medical emergency. She is willing to go on road trips with Josh's children instead of pushing for her own courtship. I tend to believe Jana questions things and has learned how to fake it for her siblings sake, but if she is steeped in the koolaid she is a saint for all she has put up with. But the duggars seem to indicate that they are ready to marry off daughters so I have to believe Jana does not want to be part of this life or wants to wait until her siblings are older. We've seen with Jessa that when a daughter really wants something they can find a way to wear their parents down. 

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

Well, we know what she's up to at Big Sandy. Jana Marie is playing babysitter. This is from yesterday. 

Why does she have to be Jana Marie Duggar? How many other Jana Duggar's are there? 

*In the real world, not on instagram!*

I'm not really convinced someone could mentally stick with being in Jana's position but secretly doubt everything- for what reason? You would leave because otherwise the cognitive dissonance would be too much! She may be skeptical of certain things, or the extremes they take their beliefs to, but I believe she accepts the general duggar worldview, even if only to rationalize the limitations she lives with.

Jana and John David are Capricorn.  

My very sober-sided, conservative and serious younger brother is a Capricorn.  He was an old man at 7 and is finally about 30 now that's he's in his 50's.  They age the other way around.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived