IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers Engaged

Bazinga

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do they keep preaching? It makes me appreciate the duggar wedding where the pastor talks for like max 10 minutes and that's it! Plus they got to hear about the same stuff yesterday.. if I were there I would be bored af

Carson and Joshua walked back down the aisle with their new brides. At least they didn't make fools of themselves taking back their wives like the Duggars. 

3 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

I had wanted to watch but forgot and now I missed it. Thanks for the screenshots! Did the Duggars and Maxwells attend this wedding too?

It's still up on YouTube for now.

Good grief, that preacherman was a downer.

Weddings that are more about the Godliness of the parental units than they are about the individuals actually getting married always get my goat.

9 minutes ago, VGL said:

I'd call it more of a brisk walk

I would have said they trotted.  But it was a comparatively dignified trot.

So was Hot John Maxwell the usher up front in the vest and tie at the beginning seating everyone? 

It really looked like him. 

I also thought I saw JD Duggar way in the back. It looked like the Duggar hairline.

The video is still up so one of you should go look and see if you think the usher looks like Hot John. 

Overall, other than the extremely long-winded fundie preaching at the beginning and the inclusion of obeying in the bride's vows, I felt this wedding was less snarkable than yesterday's. It seemed much more classy.

Given how fundies don't think any Christians other than their own sort are 'true Christians', I did find it somewhat humorous that they used the traditional wedding vows, which (fun fact of the day) spread from the traditional Anglican wedding liturgy to other denominations. They missed out a line in the second set of vows, though - it should be:

[Name], with this ring I thee wed;

With my body I thee honour, [i.e. by being physically faithful]

And all my worldly goods with thee I share/endow

I happen to think that the traditional vows/liturgy uses beautiful, rich language, and I was thrilled to use it at my own (Anglican) wedding. I left out the 'obey' bit, though - as do the vast majority of brides!

i found it very odd indeed that they didn't have any congregational hymns. Could that be something to do with the ex-Mennonite link?

24 minutes ago, SallyDraper said:

Did anybody recognize anybody in the audience? I didn't 

Yes, Gil and Kelly Bates were quite prominent in the audience on the right-hand side of the aisle looking towards the front. I didn't recognise anyone else, but there was a lot more congregation than was shown most of the time, so the Maxwells could easily have been there and just not shown up on the camera.

29 minutes ago, Triplet3 said:

I did find it somewhat humorous that they used the traditional wedding vows, which (fun fact of the day) spread from the traditional Anglican wedding liturgy to other denominations. They missed out a line in the second set of vows, though - it should be:

[Name], with this ring I thee wed;

With my body I thee honour, [i.e. by being physically faithful]

:penguin-no: That is the new fangled Alternative Service Book published in 1980.

I got married in a CoE church in 1979 with the old Book of Common Prayer version.  It was:

"With my body I thee worship ..."  Mr P practically keeled over at the rehearsal because he thought it sounded so explicitly sexual.  I also did not promise to obey and we asked the vicar to pronounce us husband and wife instead of man and wife, but he forgot.

I agree that the language is beautiful.  I'm afraid the old version of the Book of Common Prayer is firmly imprinted in my memory from childhood.  When I (very rarely) go to Anglican services these days I still go into automatic mode.  During communion when everyone else is using the modern language I'm still muttering stuff like "It is very meet, right, and our bounden duty, that we should at all times and in all places give thanks unto thee. O Lord, holy Father, almighty, everlasting God, through Jesus Christ thine only Son our Lord."

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

"With my body I thee worship ..."  Mr P practically keeled over at the rehearsal because he thought it sounded so explicitly sexua

I mean, the first thing I thought of: :D:D

i miss this show

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Carson and Joshua walked back down the aisle with their new brides. At least they didn't make fools of themselves taking back their wives like the Duggars. 

Actually, the second couple did kind of run. Carson and Not Brittany. 

I'll take "dignified trot." It was definitely more than mere walking. 

6 hours ago, Twinkle said:

I had wanted to watch but forgot and now I missed it. Thanks for the screenshots! Did the Duggars and Maxwells attend this wedding too?

Yes other posters have said members of both families sere in attendance a few pages back. JB and Michelle, front row nonethless

1 hour ago, HurricaneBells said:

Yes other posters have said members of both families sere in attendance a few pages back. JB and Michelle, front row nonethless

Apparently Josiah was there. Probably because he flew the plane? But hey, maybe he's courting Allison Bontrager and that's why they got front row seats.

17 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

:penguin-no: That is the new fangled Alternative Service Book published in 1980.

It's from the Alternative Services Series One (https://churchofengland.org/prayer-worship/worship/texts/1928/series-one-form-of-solemnization-of-matrimony.aspx), virtually identical to the service in the proposed 1928 prayer book, which is a slightly updated Book of Common Prayer that still uses traditional language. What you're thinking of is Common Worship, which uses modern language.

Yay for another appreciator of Book of Common Prayer language! My family's church still uses the 1660s BCP for matins and evensong, while using Common Worship for the family service and for baptisms and weddings (not sure about funerals). For baptisms and weddings you can request the traditional 1928 service, as I did. I think more CofE churches should use both the BCP and Common Worship for weekly worship.

I could really geek out on forms of the wedding service in different denominations, the history etc of the form and language and so on! Did you know that until the 1662 BCP was being drafted, it was 'until death us depart', not 'until death us do part'? The change of meaning of 'depart' forced the change. Sorry, I find that sort of thing interesting!

5 hours ago, pfled said:

Gabrielle's parents had a great sense of humor when naming her.

I think it's a really, really pretty name. It would be pronounced Gabrielle De Bellfoy (Bellefeuille).

6 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Apparently Josiah was there. Probably because he flew the plane? But hey, maybe he's courting Allison Bontrager and that's why they got front row seats.

Poor Josiah, he is the one i always felt sorriest for. Just seemed like there was a lot of creativity stifled and beaten out of him. He could do worse I guess. #bonduggar LOL

14 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

"With my body I thee worship ..."  Mr P practically keeled over at the rehearsal because he thought it sounded so explicitly sexual.  I also did not promise to obey and we asked the vicar to pronounce us husband and wife instead of man and wife, but he forgot.

Our Vicar decided, as there were so many weddings that year, that he would do communal classes for all the prospective couples due to marry that summer.

It involved a video presentation (in the school room) of the vows, complete with bow-chika-bow-wow music and heavy breathing when it got to the "with my body" bit. By happy coincidence, I was sat next to a bloke I went to school with (DH was sat the other side of me) and we spent most of it trying not to laugh. It was delightfully cringe worthy :pb_biggrin:

I also did not "obey" I told the Vicar I planned to keep to my vows and if that was included they would be broken by mid afternoon. ;)    

7 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I thought JD was the pilot who flew everyone around. Is Josiah flying now too? I assumed Josiah went because it was just his birthday. I also thought I saw JD in the back row of the single wedding yesterday. His hairline is so easy to spot and it looked like the Duggar hairline. But Josiah is getting that hairline too. So it could have been him. 

How many fit in the plane? Could JD, JB, Michelle, Si, and Josie all fit in the plane? 

I don't think Allison will be courting soon. She's too busy with the hotel and so on that she wouldn't trade it for a life as a wife.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived