IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers Engaged

Bazinga

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mrs. Bowers is going to be busy. She has six sons and a little girl left. Listened to them singing. They sound alright. The one son has a lovely voice. 

Sorry for going AWOL, folks! I watched the whole thing, but on my iPad I couldn't seem to switch between YouTube and FJ without losing the sound, so I didn't.

That was my first experience of a fundie wedding. My main reaction was :pb_eek:. Fundie men certainly like the sound of their own voices, don't they? The vows - and parts of what I'd call the liturgy, if fundamentalist Protestantism had liturgy - seemed odd in that they used Anglican/mainstream Protestant bits interspersed with fundie bits, and mixed around. It made me feel sad to see/hear what I consider to be a beautiful service (the sort I had) spoiled by fundamentalism. I won't even go into the whole obeying/respect thing...you can probably guess my views on that! Poor brides, they don't deserve to have their grooms vow to respect them, apparently. And it was clear that they will have to obey their new husbands without question. Horrifying.

One of the younger family members seemed to be almost shouting during the rendition of 'Great is Thy Faithfulness'. I expect the older members are better singers. :pb_smile:

As I feel I should say something positive...I admit I did find the father of the brides' speech rather touching when he was clearly overcome with emotion. That was sweet. And the brides and grooms were clearly in love.

When the livestream finished and the video went back to the beginning, I managed to spot the Maxwells (I didn't join the livestream until too late at the beginning). Anyone else find that the video quality was poor? The picture on my screen was blurred much of the time, which was a pity. I couldn't make out the bridesmaids' dresses at all.

Did anyone spot any FJ fundies other than Duggars (who I didn't really recognise, thanks to the video quality - were they the ones on the front left, hanging around after the service?) and the Maxwells?

ETA, is it normal in American Protestant weddings for the service to end so abruptly, straight after the kiss? And then for the happy couple(s) to run out?

On 10 August 2017 at 10:56 AM, Hortense Peyrac said:

Crosby is a girl, and her entire name is Crosby Virginia. She's called Gini, Crosby or Spice by family, it seems.... 

Crosby is a village in Lancashire, England. My Nana's family originate from there!

43 minutes ago, Triplet3 said:

ETA, is it normal in American Protestant weddings for the service to end so abruptly, straight after the kiss? And then for the happy couple(s) to run out?

No. I thought it was rather rushed as well. I hate the fundie trend of the bride and groom running out. I think it's weird. 

I definitely saw Mary, Anna and Sarah sitting with the Maxwells. So maybe only the girls went. ETA: I just saw Jesse And John.

23 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

No. I thought it was rather rushed as well. I hate the fundie trend of the bride and groom running out. I think it's weird. 

I think it's so they can get to the sex as soon as possible. Really.

They don't really have a reception as such, not as we would understand it anyway, so the sooner they can run off to have their photos done, then return to the gathering to cut the cake and make their speeches, then they can leave and start making babies. Literally.

7 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I think it's so they can get to the sex as soon as possible. Really.

They don't really have a reception as such, not as we would understand it anyway, so the sooner they can run off to have their photos done, then return to the gathering to cut the cake and make their speeches, then they can leave and start making babies. Literally.

It's just so tacky in my opinion. This fundies are all such prudes about sex or kissing before marriage but once they are married they are like dogs in heat. It just weirds me out.

18 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I definitely saw Mary, Anna and Sarah sitting with the Maxwells. So maybe only the girls went. ETA: I just saw Jesse And John.

How utterly depressing that the Maxwell girls get to go to weddings. The ultimate rubbing-in-face, especially for poor Sarah.

Fuck you, Steve. Just fuck you.

Ok so continuing the update:

After the Pastor spoke, they did the vows, with "obey and respect" in there for the brides. Then the grooms had long and loud memorized vows, and the brides responded with their personal vows, very quietly. How very submissive of them. Rings were exchanged, license signed, and then DOUBLE KISS!

introduce "mr and mrs carson bontrager" and "mr and mrs joshua bontrager" and out the door they run. 

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 5.27.17 PM.png

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 5.26.36 PM.png

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 5.19.04 PM.png

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 5.20.59 PM.png

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 5.27.23 PM.png

3 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

How utterly depressing that the Maxwell girls get to go to weddings. The ultimate rubbing-in-face, especially for poor Sarah.

Fuck you, Steve. Just fuck you.

I guess she does get to socialize with people outside her family at weddings. So that's a plus. But Steve wouldn't let her talk to any single guys at the wedding. 

I like Carolina's dress much better. The lace on top around the chest and neck is pretty. Cassidy's bores me.

37 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I definitely saw Mary, Anna and Sarah sitting with the Maxwells. So maybe only the girls went. 

All the kidults are there. Here they are with a thrilled looking Poor Sarah. 

IMG_0037.PNG

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

AI wrong, but has all of the music so far been recorded? I was kinda shocked by that-- I know that none of the Bontragers and Bowers would be available to perform beforehand, but I am surprised that there was no one else to play harp or piano.

I was so surprised the music was recorded, too!

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I think we are also seeing the Bontrager's Mennonite background of plainness (and timeliness!!) on display here. And did you see in the Live Chat that someone named "His Way Services Blog" just said Hi to the Maxwells?

I agree, the brides are dressed the way they are because of their Mennonite background for sure. They also served FOOD.

1 hour ago, Triplet3 said:

I had a non-religious wedding and there's not much else after the kiss.  We turned and smiled for a photo, then calmly walked down the aisle haha.

Overall I found it so similar to sitting through church, le boooring.  I HATED how the dress that was bustled looked, just my own preference.  I thought they did it fairly tastefully for a double wedding, though.  I found the father-of-the-brides speech touching, but then one of the dads said they prayed together for at least one of their kids to couple up?  NO PRESSURE YALL.  Did I see correctly that one groom gave a speech and the other didn't? 

I also rolled my eyes when he talked about both sets of parents praying together for at least one marriage between their families. It's really not all that shocking. You people are up each other's butts all the time. Of course the kids will have crushes. You people have such small pools to choose from it was inevitable. 

10 hours ago, Twinkle said:

The brides do look very plain.  Nothing special with the hair or dress either.

Thats what I thought. And I don't get it why, except for Jinger maybe, none of these fundie girls do anything nice with their glorious long hair for their wedding. Just hop over to Pinterest and get some inspiration.

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I bet their Mennonite family members are sitting there thinking they are all being so show-y and prideful. 

I don't know how strict the Mennonite lifestyle really is?!

I was wondering how fundies from different denominations interact at a social event like this. There are Mennonites, Southern Baptists, The Cult of Stevehovah , the Duggar's crazy brand of Christianity. And everybody thinks it is them who have the Lord on speed-dial.

I'd love to know how the Maxwell Great Conversationalists did when mingling with other guests after the ceremony.

23 hours ago, Markie said:

Too bad the Rodriguez's weren't friends. Those kids could use a good meal. 

Haha Jill would be dying to go to these weddings! Sounds like a dream for fundie singles and she has sweet Nurie to pimp out. Wonder if she is going to the Duggar wedding  - werent they only at the TTH a couple of weeks ago? Hmmm

Anyone else feeling bad for Bryn and Mitchell? Bryn especially since she's the only non Boner? Everyone has been focusing on the exciting double wedding where two brothers marry two sisters and now today she just has an ordinary single fundie wedding. Way less exciting. And people are probably super tired from yesterday so that makes the excitement wane as well. Plus Bryn's future husband was super busy yesterday with his brothers' wedding. It just seems Bryn got the raw end of the deal. 

PS: how absolutely awkward would it be to spend the day after you lost your virginity hanging out with everyone you know? They all know you just lost your V card. How do you chat with your grandparents without it being awkward? I'm just glad my grandparents had no clue when I lost mine. 

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

PS: how absolutely awkward would it be to spend the day after you lost your virginity hanging out with everyone you know? They all know you just lost your V card. How do you chat with your grandparents without it being awkward? I'm just glad my grandparents had no clue when I lost mine. 

Very strange to have the three Bot Boys lose their virginity within 24 hours of each other. I agree. I will be super awkward for the two couples who got married last night. 

Anyone know if any of the couple are honeymooning, and if so, where?

11 minutes ago, Markie said:

Very strange to have the three Bot Boys lose their virginity within 24 hours of each other. I agree. I will be super awkward for the two couples who got married last night. 

Anyone know if any of the couple are honeymooning, and if so, where?

I'm sure people would try to argue that back in the olden days couples lost their virginity on their wedding night and everyone knew it. But that's not actually true. I read that in the mid 1800s, around a third of all brides were pregnant at their weddings. And no one really expected men to be virgins when married for a lot of our history. Plus people didn't broadcast their virginity like fundies do. So yeah, fundie couples are pretty unique in he fact that we all know what day they lost their v cards. And it's weird....

Is there any link to watch the videos now? When I click the link on their blog it leads me to a youtube account that hasn't been updated for the last six months. Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, Jaeniduggar said:

Is there any link to watch the videos now? When I click the link on their blog it leads me to a youtube account that hasn't been updated for the last six months. Thanks in advance!

I believe it was only livestreamed.

6 minutes ago, Jaeniduggar said:

You can watch today's single wedding. It starts at 2pm central time. 

I  can't believe the Duggars got prime seats up front when the Bontragers have eleventy billion cousins, uncles, aunts.

I hope these 3 couples like each other, and have the same taste,  for eternity because they are going to be treated as a unit--I sure many guests gave 3 identical gifts, and yeah I predict joint baby showers in the future.

The Bower girls are already being treated as practically twins--and now poor Bryn is an honorary triplet with 2 sisters that she probably only met less than 2 years ago. Talk about being the third wheel.

So do you think the 2 married just went to some nice B&B or inn nearby for the night? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived