IGNORED

Bontragers and Bowers Engaged

Bazinga

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Leppert

Which also sounds Mennonite to me as well so I wouldn't be shocked if her family had so Mennonite roots as well. 

Bryn only has three brothers and they met through church. So I think this wedding will have a smaller wedding party unless they have lots of friends they are including. They did say the wedding party will include family and friends and this wedding will be in church, not outside. 

I only watched the first part but I'm very disappointed in the music.  I thought for professional singers the Bontragers could have done better.  Canned music?

14 hours ago, Triplet3 said:

One of the younger family members seemed to be almost shouting during the rendition of 'Great is Thy Faithfulness'. I expect the older members are better singers. :pb_smile:

That is when I switched off.  They were all as flat as the average pancake during that too.  It hurt my ears.

10 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I  can't believe the Duggars got prime seats up front when the Bontragers have eleventy billion cousins, uncles, aunts.

I doubt there was assigned seating for the ceremony.  I expect the Duggars just marched their way up to the front and plonked down in the prime seats all by themselves.  They are celebrities, you know.

So do you think the 2 married just went to some nice B&B or inn nearby for the night? 

According to tripadvisor reviews about the only option in town is the motel owned by none other than the Bontragers.  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g38033-d645786-Reviews-Dutch_Country_Inn-Kalona_Iowa.html

I know that the "immediate" Maxwell family was there, but did anyone spot Christopher?  He recently photographed a wedding that we eventually deduced to be a Brethren Mennonite union.  In retrospect I wonder that might have been a Bontrager connection.  And, yes, the photos were pretty bad.

Unfortunately there is a University of Iowa football game this morning starting at 11 so they stated that the hotels are pretty packed. I assume a lot of guests were planning on staying at hotels in Iowa City.

I bet Carson and Carolina spent their wedding night at their new home. At least that's probably what I would do and it makes the most sense. 

The part that bothered me the most about the Boner wedding was that Mr. Bower felt that his life was blessed because he followed the Lord, and that if the couples did the same, they would also have happy lives. But what if tragedy strikes one of their families? Is it because the weren't Godly enough? Is it because Mrs. Bontrager didn't submit enough or because Mr. Bontrager didn't lead enough? It's just such an unfair and pompous view of the world. With that logic, people who lost their homes (or worse, family members) in Hurricane Harvey just didn't love God enough....ugh that thought process is so un-loving and so un-Christian. 

Some pictures from instagram - the Boner couples and the program for today's wedding (Bryn)

13 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

All but one groomsman is a brother to the bride and groom. Carson and Joshua will be tired groomsmen today. 

I think two actually because  Taylor Bontrager isn't a brother, according to the family's web page... I think he's their cousin

30 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

I love that order of ceremony. Short and to the point.

Yes. I may have to steal that for my own wedding. :)

27 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

I think two actually because  Taylor Bontrager isn't a brother, according to the family's web page... I think he's their cousin

Taylor is a brother, but Taylor is actually his middle name. He doesn't go by his first name for some reason.

5 minutes ago, Triplet3 said:

Taylor is a brother, but Taylor is actually his middle name. He doesn't go by his first name for some reason.

Ohh yeah I just checked lol... so he's like Lawson and Nathan Bates I guess.

I also really liked the bridesmaids dresses today! The colors are great

Unless someone else wants to, I'll take some more screenshots as the wedding unfolds today. I love watching weddings. Even crazy fundie ones. 

Sorry I don't know how to put pictures in spoilers!!!!!

The prelude music is secular! Familiar first song but didn't know the title, and now Bryn's brother (?) is playing River Flows In You on the piano.

Groom comes out of a door at the front of the church and welcomes the guests...thanks God...greatest day of our lives is not this one but day we got saved...Jesus hasn't come back yet because he wants more people to know him (funny comment about he hopes Christ doesn't return right before he gets to kiss Bryn)...apparently fundie grooms give sermons at their own weddings

The parents of both bride and groom come to the altar and sign the marriage license?? or something. 

Then processional. Then bride and her father.

Now the father of the bride is speaking. He's very emotional but also quiet so I can't hear him. Something about living for God blah blah blah.

Pastor speaks. parents of bride and groom looked beyond by faith when bride/groom were babies to see them get godly married?? basic takeaway. so this is really the culmination of their life. Bible is without error and base all life decisions on literal word of God...

Now father of groom is speaking. Wow as someone said yesterday, fundie men realllllyyyy like to hear themselves talk. Quiver full message. Children are a blessing, you may have 15 kids (groom would like that). Oh my gawddddd it doesn't end.

Vows (with obey for Brynn). They sign the marriage license, then the couple kneels together and prays side by side. It's actually very touching, and members of the bridal party (MEN and women) are visibly dabbing tears. Then first kiss, introducing Mr and Mrs MItchell Bontrager, and off they go!

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 12.14.04 PM.png

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 12.12.11 PM.png

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 12.13.21 PM.png

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 12.41.29 PM.png

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 12.50.42 PM.png

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 12.49.22 PM.png

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 12.51.09 PM.png

I'm guessing the groom.  How old is Mitchell - he looks like a 14 year old.

I love the sound of all the little kids crying as he blabs on and on about being a Christian to a totally Christian congregation... 

5 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I'm guessing the groom.  How old is Mitchell - he looks like a 14 year old.

He's the oldest boy, 25. joshua and Carson (yesterday's grooms) are 20 and 21

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived