IGNORED

Captain Bret Alan Smith Part 4: Now with Bad Poetry!

Destiny

5 hours ago, Jess said:

Someone said that he was denied bail. Apparently, Georgia had a law that doesn't allow bail for his type of crimes.

I must have missed seeing that! I'm not surprised that he was denied bail, considering the range of charges he's facing. However, to my understanding, some people accused of SDS crimes are granted bail. It's just more difficult to obtain a hearing, and the Superior Court is the only entity capable of bestowing it.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, VVV said:

I hope nobody actually follows that crazy advice. That's a good way to end up spending the rest of one's very short life in a North Korean prison.

Perhaps he should try Afghanistan or North Korea. I hear they are both particularly fond of American tourists. 

Getting back to the car seat discussion. While I was looking for a divorce decree/announcement for Katie and Alan (which I didn't find), I found a citation for Wesley from March 2010.

Joseph Wesley Morton was charged with safety belts violation (children). Bond was forfeited.

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/local_news/municipal-court-for-the-march-edition/article_9c699bd9-3271-5518-88ce-44a50dc02341.html

No seatbelts because rednecks and Jesus + family motorcycle sidecar business in Paraguay = a country song just waiting to be written.

I'm new to all this shitfamily and haven't entayerly read the last thread di forbice me if this is a stupide question bit i was wondering is Alan alloweed to have wife visit in prison? I know that the wife (Katie?) Seems to be completly over him bit you never know with this people how they can justify something unjustificable

6 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

i was wondering is Alan alloweed to have wife visit in prison? I know that the wife (Katie?) Seems to be completly over him

They're divorced. From all appearances, Katie & their children have nothing to do with him. 

8 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

They're divorced. From all appearances, Katie & their children have nothing to do with him. 

And it seems to have caused a huge rift between the siblings of the accused and their parents. 

I have a new favorite name (from the Adeline issue) -- Scrap Johnson.

Now there's a county singer wanting to happen. Maybe he can record the "rednecks and Jesus + family motorcycle sidecar business in Paraguay" song

6 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

I know that the wife (Katie?) Seems to be completly over him bit you never know with this people how they can justify something unjustificable

We all think that there was some (horrific) overwhelming evidence against him, because Bret was put in jail while Katie was pregnant with her 8th, and it was pretty clear immediately that she had cut all ties with him, and his sisters were also on Katie's side.  So although the case hasn't come to court, the Mortons are all convinced - which is a big deal in the Fundy world.

The break in relationship between Captain Brett and his kids seems to be because the Captain's approach is "Alan has been forgiven by God, so everyone else should forgive him too" - but in the threads you'll see link to the S'Morton blogs where the sons are quoting the relevant Bible verses for why some things are unforgivable.

Thanks i'm very happy to know that Katie is divorce from that umana garbage and the kids are away from him. I'm not sure about how can He be convicted and in jail without the case come to court? I mean they found so many evidence that a process wasn't request? Or what? And another thing the GFM that i think one of her brother create for her is still on or that have found another way to support all them?  

43 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

I'm not sure about how can He be convicted and in jail without the case come to court?

ETA I'm not from the USA, so forgive and correct me if I'm wrong!

"Jail" means something specific in the USA - a jail is somewhere people stay before they have gone to court (so people are not yet officially innocent or guilty) and "prison" is where they go after they've been found guilty in court.  They're different systems.

Here in the UK, jail/prison mean the same thing, but we say people are "on remand" before they've been to court - so they're in the same buildings, but kept separate and have different rules.

In the UK and USA, people can pay bail so they don't have to stay locked up before they go to court - but of course, some people can't afford bail (it's a lot of money that isn't returned if they doon't turn up to court) but there are some crimes where bail isn't allowed and it seems like in Georgia, the sex crimes against children that Alan has been accused of mean bail is not allowed.

So he hasn't been convicted yet - BUT the S'Morton 2nd generation are convinced already.  It seems like Captain Bret isn't denying that Alan did what he's been accused of, either - Captain Bret's argument seems to be that because Aln has begged God for forgiveness, it should all be wiped out - I THINK!

38 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

I'm not sure about how can He be convicted and in jail without the case come to court?

Youʻll have to search one of the older threads on this but IIRC, Georgia has a law which requires anyone charged with certain major crimes (murder, sexual assault, and so on) to be jailed without bail before they come to trial. 

Also, there were charges laid against him in more than one county (jurisdiction), so coordinating them may be taking more time. 

Hereʻs a general outline of what can happen in a criminal case in Georgia. Alan is under criminal charges for whatever he did.

44 minutes ago, Lurky said:

ETA I'm not from the USA, so forgive and correct me if I'm wrong!

"Jail" means something specific in the USA - a jail is somewhere people stay before they have gone to court (so people are not yet officially innocent or guilty) and "prison" is where they go after they've been found guilty in court.  They're different systems.

Not exactly.  Jail is usually city or county and people who have the more minor violations such as first drunk driving conviction serve sentences of one year or less in jail.  Prisons are run by the state or federal authority and are for convictions with sentences of more than one year.  Some people are sentenced to one year and one day to make sure their time is served in a prison.  There are different security levels in the prisons here also.  

Legally speaking, Alan is still innocent since he hasn't taken a plea deal (a legal process in which he says he did it in exchange for a lighter sentence) or had a trial. It's in our Constitution that everyone has a right to a trial by a jury of their peers. The only time that doesn't happen is if they plead guilty. There are a lot of ins and outs, but that's the basic process. He's currently in jail until his trial because he's been denied bail (or can't afford it). Jail is where they take people after they've been arrested (and as Coconut said, stay for shorter sentences like DUI). Once he's convicted (which can take a really long time, despite his right to a speedy trial) he'll go to prison. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Captain Bret is on a lovely holiday.   His incessant "Hola hola!" is so grating, I love the non-reactions to him.

But it makes me wonder why they only took 1 kid?   Or are there a couple there, and he's just clearly favouring one of them?  Where are all the others?

Every time I see this thread updated I hope it's with news that Alan has been sentenced to life in prison. 

23 hours ago, DaisyD said:

Every time I see this thread updated I hope it's with news that Alan has been sentenced to life in prison. 

Same here. May he rot in prison for the rest of his life and my be Katie and her kids are getting professional help and support and have a chance to heal.

I want Katie to have the closure and safety which will accompany a lengthy prison sentence. I believe that the worry and fear of some sort of technicality freeing the monster weigh upon her and limit her ability to fully prepare for the future. 

2 hours ago, Bassett Lady said:

I want Katie to have the closure and safety which will accompany a lengthy prison sentence. I believe that the worry and fear of some sort of technicality freeing the monster weigh upon her and limit her ability to fully prepare for the future. 

Well, to be fair, Katie's upbringing has limited her ability to fully prepare for the future.

5 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

Well, to be fair, Katie's upbringing has limited her ability to fully prepare for the future.

To be even more fair, she's never been expected to prepare for the future beyond packing a hope chest. Her dad will be making all of her life choices once again until she remarries (maybe?), or he dies, at which point I guess she'll stick with Ma and Forever Auntie Adeline, finish raising her brood, and do whatever retired matriarchs do.

At whatever point the legal situation with Alan is finally resolved, I suspect everyone currently living at the family compound in Moultrie will move to Paraguay. Alan is likely to be in prison for most of the rest of his life. If Katie moves to Paraguay, she will be pretty well away from his reach, even if he is ever freed.

I don’t remember seeing this on here.  If it was already posted I apologize.

this was a comment left on his Captain Bret’s “here comes the son” music video on YouTube 

75A72D31-2C57-4337-A474-BC861E14FF3C.jpeg

54 minutes ago, keepercjr said:

I don’t remember seeing this on here.  If it was already posted I apologize.

this was a comment left on his Captain Bret’s “here comes the son” music video on YouTube 

75A72D31-2C57-4337-A474-BC861E14FF3C.jpeg

Hmm. That might not be THE Rachel Morton. Anyone could make an account with that name. 

• DaisyD locked this topic

Archived