IGNORED

Captain Bret Alan Smith Part 4: Now with Bad Poetry!

Destiny

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am glad to see people calling the great and powerful Bret out from behind the curtain. 

He's been running ripshod for far too long and his son is the result of that. Unchecked arrogance is dangerous and finally, finally, his little world is closing in. 

It's especially pleasing to watch some who were once members of his inner circle be the ones to do the calling out. 

It is, however, disgustingly sad that it took Alan committing crimes against children for the calling out to happen.

@fundiefan I think you are on point with your assessment. Alan has been extremely sheltered and told how smart and special he is, and he believes every word of it. I tell my kids how smart and special they are, and they believe I believe it. They may have some special talents, then they go to school and realize that other kids are smart and talented too. His parents may of taught him basic skills and led him to believe that the world is his oyster. What a bitter pill it must be for him to realize he might not even be good enough to be considered average. 

Does anyone have contact info for Kennedy Kayla? Because I'd like to send her flowers. 

I've said it before. These people, all of them, need to keep this shit off of social media. It's only making things worse.

Kennedy's comment is awesome.

Once again, Brenda Smith Orlans comments make me want to physically hurt her. Idiot.

This must be hard for Kressant and Rachel, too. First, they pretty much lost their brother, and after him their parents - THEIR OWN FUCKING PARENTS who prefer their child raping son to their own daughters and grandkids.

On 6/25/2017 at 7:21 AM, fundiefan said:

Alan was brought up as some fundie prince, but he was failed in every way by his arrogant father. Not that his crimes are anyone's fault but his own, but he was raised to believe in his all powerful specialness.

I'm going to throw up forever and then die. :puke-front:

Alan was always a pretty ain't-shit husband by Morton standards, and I wonder what they thought of his shiftlessness before all of this happened. The Mortons may have some strange religious beliefs and godawful political views, but at least they work hard and don't grift. 

On 6/25/2017 at 6:34 AM, Lurky said:

There's not been the court case, so we don't know the full details (and actually I hope we never do) but from the 2nd generation S'Morton reactions, it seems like there's no he-said-she-said about this case, and the sexual abuse of a child/ren is recognised by pretty much everyone.  Even Captain Brett's line is along the lines of "but he's asked for forgiveness, and the Lord forgives all, so we should too, and hey, we're all sinners, so it's hypocrisy not to forgive him"

It's seriously head-tilt-y. As Ulysses Everett McGill opined in O Brother, Where Art Thou? "Even if it did put you square with the Lord, the state of Mississippi's a little more hardnosed." 

On 6/25/2017 at 5:49 PM, Nikedagain? said:

Does anyone have contact info for Kennedy Kayla? Because I'd like to send her flowers. 

She's read here before, so maybe she'll see this. 

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:51 AM, Lurky said:

And this line:  "No matter how great the sins I have done, his grace is greater, he's our vindicator... his face is smiling, he's reconciling, he's washing sinners clean, he sets the prisoners free" - WTAF???  Is he really saying "well, I sinned, but it's ok because God is great"???

I notice in that part of the song he seems to start distancing himself from actually admitting he is a sinner. He starts out saying, "No matter how great the sins I have done,"  but then mentions what Jesus is doing. (I didn't listen so I'm guessing he refers to Jesus.) The words say, "he's washing sinners clean, he sets the prisoners free" which makes me think Alan is not really including himself-sinners are other people.  The words are just a generic "washing sinners clean." He doesn't say something like, "washing me clean" or "washing clean even those of us who are the worst sinners." And he "sets the prisoners free" which also doesn't include himself; it seems more removed the way he phrased it. It's not "we prisoners will be set free" or "he frees us from the prison of our sin" or anything that shows he's claiming the sin or being a prisoner.

And yes, because God is great He can forgive our sins. But part of that is accepting just punishment, not simply "repenting" and going on with life. Just because God can forgive someone doesn't mean there will be no consequences. I think the Smiths have forgotten that part. Alan seems to think that God has him covered on incest and child rape, so he's good because he is oh so sorry now. And I am sure he truly is sorry-that he got caught.

1 hour ago, Letgo said:

And yes, because God is great He can forgive our sins. But part of that is accepting just punishment, not simply "repenting" and going on with life. Just because God can forgive someone doesn't mean there will be no consequences. I think the Smiths have forgotten that part. Alan seems to think that God has him covered on incest and child rape, so he's good because he is oh so sorry now. And I am sure he truly is sorry-that he got caught.

"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's." I get really tired of so-called Christians ignoring the words of Christ. In this case, what is Ceasar's is the punishment for breaking the law. It doesn't matter if God forgives him, that is what is God's. It's actually one of the clearer things in the bible.

They don't seem to have grasped the concept that although God may have forgiven Alan his "sins" that doesn't seem to be stopping the American Justice system. Hopefully that will not fail those children the way certain members of their family has.

Hopefully he won't be able to plea bargainand will be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

3 hours ago, Mudgie said:

They don't seem to have grasped the concept that although God may have forgiven Alan his "sins" that doesn't seem to be stopping the American Justice system. 

No, the elder Smiths don't seem to understand that forgiveness doesn't mean not suffering consequences of the transgression. Rapists can be forgiven by their victims but still go to prison. Alan still needs to answer for what he did. The Smith parents need to let God take care of the forgiveness part and accept that Alan will have to go through the judicial process. Forgiveness does not make the crime "go away" for the perpetrator. It certainly won't go away for the victim.

6 hours ago, Mudgie said:

They don't seem to have grasped the concept that although God may have forgiven Alan his "sins" that doesn't seem to be stopping the American Justice system. Hopefully that will not fail those children the way certain members of their family has.

Hopefully he won't be able to plea bargainand will be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Also, forgiveness does not absolve one of responsibility  or consequences. Even many of their fellow fundie cohorts clearly understand that. 

Jackie posted this:

You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. Galatians 5.13-15

I have to wonder about the complete disconnect. 

Does anyone have any idea how long a sentence Alan might get for his crimes? I mean, could he face a lifetime behind the bars?

I don't know about their state, but Warren Jeffs got life + 20 for what he did to only 2 of the girls (he did it to many, many more, but that's all they charged him with).

12 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Does anyone have any idea how long a sentence Alan might get for his crimes? I mean, could he face a lifetime behind the bars?

All I hope is that it's long enough that all 8 of his kids are grown before he gets out. I only say that because I don't want him to somehow get visitation with the youngest kids although I imagine Katie would fight that. I just hope the children are grown and old enough to understand what he did and why it's best that he is not in heir lives any longer. 

This is from Google, I know nothing. But, I got curious. From here: http://www.lectlaw.com/files/sex06.htm

16-6-4. Child molestation; aggravated child molestation.
(a) A person commits the offense of child molestation when he or she does any immoral or indecent act to or in the presence of or with any child under the age of 16 years with the intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of either the child or the person.
(b) A person convicted of a first offense of child molestation shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than five nor more than 20 years. Upon such first conviction of the offense of child molestation, the judge may probate the sentence; and such probation may be upon the special condition that the defendant undergo a mandatory period of counseling administered by a licensed psychiatrist or a licensed psychologist. However, if the judge finds that such probation should not be imposed, he or she shall sentence the defendant to imprisonment; provided, further, that upon a defendant's being incarcerated on a conviction for such first offense, the Department of Corrections shall provide counseling to such defendant. Upon a second or subsequent conviction of an offense of child molestation, the defendant shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than ten years nor more than 30 years or by imprisonment for life; provided, however, that prior to trial, a defendant shall be given notice, in writing, that the state intends to seek a punishment of life imprisonment. Adjudication of guilt or imposition of sentence for a conviction of a second or subsequent offense of child molestation, including a plea of nolo contendere, shall not be suspended, probated, deferred, or withheld.
(c) A person commits the offense of aggravated child molestation when such person commits an offense of child molestation which act physically injures the child or involves an act of sodomy.
(d) A person convicted of the offense of aggravated child molestation shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than ten nor more than 30 years. Any person convicted under this Code section of the offense of aggravated child molestation shall, in addition, be subject to the sentencing and punishment provisions of Code Sections 17-10-6.1 and 17- 10-7.

16-6-22. Incest.
(a) A person commits the offense of incest when he engages in sexual intercourse with a person to whom he knows he is related either by blood or by marriage as follows:
1. Father and daughter or stepdaughter;
2. Mother and son or stepson;
3. Brother and sister or the whole blood or of the half blood;
4. Grandparent and grandchild;
5. Aunt and nephew; or
6. Uncle and niece.
(b) A person convicted of the offense of incest shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than 20 years.

Just because I kept reading stuff, I came across this. Clearly a judge has room to move within the statutes.

http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2014-10-09/georgia-man-given-4-life-sentences-child-rape

My son's former math teacher was convicted of molesting his stepdaughter, and he got life. His appeal was denied, too. This was in Texas, though.

Anybody who sexually assaults a child should get life in prison...PERIOD!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2017 at 9:34 AM, Lurky said:

(The really sad part is that Katie didn't even want to marry Alan - she told her dad that she wasn't sure so he should make the decision, which sounds like she was trying to say no even from the start.  These were pretty much arranged marriages between Captain Brett and Michael Morton, and the amazing thing is that the second Morton son (Wes?) was allowed to not marry the Smith daughter he was originally paired with.)

...I've never thought about it from that perspective, and now in the wake of all that Alan has done, this is a particularly tragic thought. I always read that story with an eyeroll like, geez she couldn't even make up her mind bc they raised her without faculty, but to think of it as she didn't really want to marry him, perhaps she even sensed red flags and was hinting to her father to save her from that marriage....yikes. That's almost too upsetting a story to bear. :shakehead:

@picklepizzas Yeah, it's awful isn't it?  I always read it as, in true S'Morton way, Brett and the Captain decided it (whether it was Brett's idea or a true arranged marriage) and then they approached Michael Morton who prayed about it and told Katie.  That's the Courtship model, at least in their circles, and I always worry about it.

Just imagine, you're approached with not just the guy, but your father and his father who say they've prayed about it and God wants it - how do you get out of that? I always so admire Fundy girls who can say no, but I completely understand the pressure they're under - and even moreso the ones railroaded into a Courtship who break it.  I always read Katie saying she didn't know as hoping her father would take the hint, because how could she, always lesser by virtue of being a woman, have told Captain Brett she knew more about God's will than him?

• 3 weeks later...

It appears Katie is selling some watercolour prints through her facebook page for $20 - $30, based on a public post she made. She also  uses the word "more" to describe them suggesting she may have sold some previously. Looks like they're old ones she did based on the signature with dates as far back as 2002. Pretty neat idea to bring in a bit of extra money and given that some of the prints have bible quotes I could imagine them being pretty popular. I hadn't realised how artistic she was, given that most of the focus appeared to be on her child bearing and submissive attributes. 

• DaisyD locked this topic

Archived