IGNORED

Captain Bret Alan Smith Part 4: Now with Bad Poetry!

Destiny

2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Lord almighty this family sound like wankers. It reminds me of when one of Erika Shupe’s leghumpers asked her what she thought of the JoshTurd scandal (first one), and Erika said something like “most 14-year-olds have done similar/worse”.

That's kind of a tell that she grew up with sexual abuse in her family. No one who didn't have a desperate need to believe that kind of behavior is both commonplace and normal would say that.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I really wonder about the Smith's "prison ministry" is how the other inmates deal with them?   I can't see "God forgave our child molester son" as very helpful, as everywhere I've ever heard of, the child abusers are seen as the lowest of the low in prison...   

I wonder what are they saying to the other prisoners?  "Since God has forgiven you, you shouldn't be here"?? Or does that only count for Alan? 

It appears that Bethany is not friends with either her Mother or her Father on FB. Rachel isn't friends with her Father. I didn't look further to see if others are or are not. 

Maybe what Jacqueline doesn't seem to realize is that it isn't self righteous to protect your children from those who would harm them or standby and/or justify the actions of or protect those who would harm them. 

It does make one wonder what role she and her husband played before it all came to light and professionals became involved. 

omg i can't even process this but "my eight brothers" for a memoir about her childhood has got to be the most bullshit patriarchal title i can think of. what about her three sisters?!

There are some definite WTF's in the book preview. 

As long as I can remember they [Michael, Cleve & Wesley] were working in construction, working all day like grown men with our wonderful Daddy. They'd come home at lunch, riding on the tailgate of the truck.

She also discusses "Mor-town" a play town they constructed. Each boy had a pretend wife: Michael & Dorothy, Cleveland & Adeline, and Wesley & Martha. I know that some level of that is normal child development but this reads rather swicky to me, especially with the age differences (6 years, 5 years and 5 years)

Zoo's kids also were big into pairing off into fake husband/wife duos, and it was really damned weird. I think it was John who got distraught and accused Miriam of fornication (she was like, 3 or 4??) because she wanted to play "wife" to one of her other brothers one day instead. 

Kudos to Martha for writing a booklet about her family nonetheless. I have been meaning to do something similar for years, and never have gotten around to it. 

Rufus grant us the blessing that some kind FJer takes one for the team and reads the book, and reports back!

I especially want to know what it was like knowing the Smith daughters were promised to the Morton sons?

2 hours ago, Lurky said:

Rufus grant us the blessing that some kind FJer takes one for the team and reads the book, and reports back!

I especially want to know what it was like knowing the Smith daughters were promised to the Morton sons?

I guarentee that won't be mentioned much in this book. I'm sure it will just be a bunch of folksy stories about the brothers getting into trouble together yet always learning a lesson while the girls just watched. 

27 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I guarentee that won't be mentioned much in this book. I'm sure it will just be a bunch of folksystories about the brothers getting into trouble together yet always learning a lesson while the girls just watched. 

Ugh, I think you're right.  Plus how her older brothers helped her become closer to God, and how it feels watching her younger brothers turn into men.

19 minutes ago, Lurky said:

Ugh, I think you're right.  Plus how her older brothers helped her become closer to God, and how it feels watching her younger brothers turn into men.

I mean SHE is the one writing the book! The menfolk have better things to do than write stories. They are out doing things. While the ladies watch and write stories about them. Barf.

16 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

Zoo's kids also were big into pairing off into fake husband/wife duos, and it was really damned weird. I think it was John who got distraught and accused Miriam of fornication (she was like, 3 or 4??) because she wanted to play "wife" to one of her other brothers one day instead. 

I just checked, she was 3 and he was 5. Which is still weird but at least still on a similar level developmentally. In my opinion that's not nearly as swicky as a 10 or 11 year old Michael being "married" to a 4 or 5 year old Dorothy, etc.

Apparently Alan is becoming an author while in prison. And so strong he can take on three fellow inmates and win...or so he says.

The disconnect is palpable with him; it's clear where he gets it, but damn. 

From Bret's page:

Excerpts from a letter from Alan a couple of weeks ago.

````````````````````````````
I've been doing a lot of praying and meditation yesterday afternoon and this morning, thinking about what God is calling me to do. My attention was called to a Tolkienesque novel I read once, which a couple of guys here have read as well. As we discussed it together, my first, instinctive reaction was to call it a silly flight of fancy. But on further reflection, I cannot. It's a large book, well written. As we began tearing the story apart piece by piece, I found myself trying to figure out two things: what are the true themes of the story, and why does mankind find them so appealing? Why would a story about men who have a deep, telepathic link with a mythical creature, greater and (usually) wiser than themselves, resonate within the hearts of so many? Here are some of my thoughts.

We have a native longing to be a part of something larger than ourselves. To have a True Friend; to know, and be known. To be able to share, effortlessly, the innermost secrets of our Heart of Hearts with someone (or something) at the direct, mental level, and be accepted by that someone. I believe this comes from an innate desire to commune in our souls with the Holy Spirit, and to have Him respond to us. The following elements, which speak to our own inner longings, appear to give a story universal appeal:

The desire for Power: to be considered significant, and taken seriously.
To leave our Mark on the world around us.
To be free from Fear.
To Love, and be Loved.
To have Skill, and be extremely good at something. The story of becoming the Best at something is appealing, because it puts hope in our hearts that, maybe, just maybe, we too can Excel at something.
To have Music, Rhythm and Flow, which in action translates to Balance, Poise, Elegance and Grace.
To have Beauty which is ours to enjoy.
To have – and be known for – Compassion, Duty, Honor and Courage.
To have enough inner resolve and strength to ignore – with 'faces set like flint' – the Taunts, Doubts, Discouragements and Insults of people around us, and to have a Trusted Friend who will NEVER participate in these things.
To gain Mastery Over Self, and be continually growing and improving.
To have a great Mentor, and wise Counselors.
To have a Purpose, a Calling and an important Fight against Evil.
To Lead, and have Students/Followers, even if just a few.
To know the Truths of Eternity, and have the ability to shift our perspective – focusing one moment on the Scope of the Stars and the next on the tiniest, most intricate detail, and placing equal value and importance on both. The Least of These being counted One with the Greatest.

As I have struggled to define these concepts and ideas, I have also been contemplating how to apply them – not just in my writing, but in my life.

Who am I?

What is my Purpose?

What is my Calling? My Fight? My Duty?

The Lord has given me Love, and filled me with Love for Him.

He communes with my spirit, and surrounds me with His Presence.

He has taken away my Fear, and – for the most part – set my face like a flint to ignore the constant taunts of my detractors, especially those that I once thought were my friends. It is truly His grace that enables me to say that they affect me almost none whatsoever, 9 days out of 10.

He had given me one set of Students, but has seen fit to take them away and replace them with others – men like Matthew and others whose lives God is transforming in a huge way.

I feel like I'm slowly growing stronger in the Holy Spirit – the more I acknowledge my weakness.

He gave me Mastery Over Self last year, which is continually improving.

My great lacks are Music, Balance, Rhythm and Beauty. I feel like I have little to none of these, either in me or around me. If I try to sing, it gets shouted down with loud 'Boos' and howling. When I try to quietly make music in my heart to God, more often than not all I draw is a blank. (The lyrics y'all send are a great blessing – there'd be pretty much no Music at all without them.)

There's no Beauty anywhere around. Sometimes I remember the dream God gave me last year of what is to come, which is Gloriously Beautiful, and I'm comforted.

I used to have a Purpose and a Calling, I thought, centered around my children. In them I found most of the above, especially Beauty and Duty. While I expect them to remain an important part of my Purpose, He's given me a new Calling. These pages sing to me at night, crying out to be written. To wage a war against my Greatest Foe, my Pen is the weapon I'm called to know. I am becoming driven to learn everything I can about writing. To draw the hearts and minds of my reader along a journey to eternal Truth – to paint a landscape within the mind, and fill it with nourishment for the souls of my people. This is my Calling. Long now have I felt it. From my youth my heart has yearned to produce works on par with those I loved most, but filled with life, wisdom and power that would draw the hearts of my readers to a better way. But I ruthlessly crushed my imagination in my youth, and never felt that I had the spark needed to become a useful author. Mayhap that was part of the plan. It forces me to be 100% reliant on the Holy Spirit for every inspiration, and that's a good thing.

In other news, Andy was sentenced yesterday. Billy expects to go home tomorrow. Good news all the way around, that. [grin]

A local church came by last night and handed out care packages with an apple, orange, banana and a small bag of cookies.

I've had a mild cold since yesterday. Ran out of coffee today, except for my deep reserve, which I don't want to tap if I can help it.

Charlie grabbed Billy Saturday night and shoved him around the dayroom for talking smack. I prayed about it a lot, and had quiet words with Billy myself early Sunday morning. That, as I anticipated, shifted his focus onto me – squarely, as I threatened his beloved God, the TV. Just to make sure my own hands are squeaky-clean, I've been getting up every morning since and helping clean. [pun intended] I'm now the unified brunt of the cadre-de-cable, namely Billy, Dan and Ephron. I suppose it ought to be annoying, but Yahweh has truly 'set my face like flint,' and I find their chatter silly, inconsequential and lacking penetration. On the bright side, they've been notably less disrespectful to the older men, ever since. [grin] Around here, it doesn't hurt that I could take any 2 of them in a fight – maybe all 3 – and they know it.

I'm filing another request to use the typewriter in the morning.

Overall, Yaweh has stayed with me, and I'm doing fairly well. I'm slowly learning to step out in Faith, but it's not my strong point. I remain steady, methodical and the opposite of impulsive, by nature. These are strengths, but also a weakness. Much that I ought to do, I never bring myself to step out and just do, trusting Christ alone to be my safety line.

In the meantime, much of my focus and energy is being poured into my writing, and trying to consciously become a better author. I find I don't approach books the way I used to. Now I'm constantly critiquing and considering style – what feels effective, and what doesn't. What draws me in, and what's boring.

I've had a blast these past 2 days doing the same to my own work – or at least the batch Nana sent, with the first 44 pages. I realize my goals in the story have shifted. I'm going to redo some of the characters. Part of the story is how each of my characters are being molded and formed by God, through adversity, into something better. What are your thoughts? I don't get much useful feedback here. Andy's the only person who's actually been helpful. He cried after reading it and wants to read the rest – which, of course, I haven't written yet...

Well, it's late, so I'm gonna wrap this up, for now. I love you, and will be praying for you. Give my love to the rest of the family.

Grace and peace be with your spirit from our beloved Lord, Jesus Christ.

Shalom...
Alan

`````````````````````````````
Alan is currently working on 3 book projects. If you would like to help him with these, let me know. He could use someone to help with research, transcribing, etc.

LikeShow more reactions

Comments

Oh lord. For someone who doesn't understand basic capitalization, he sure is in love with his own prose. And the part about his children being part of his calling is sickening.

On the plus side, the thought of Alan trying to start a singalong in prison and getting loudly booed instead is hilarious.

49 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Oh lord. For someone who doesn't understand basic capitalization, he sure is in love with his own prose. And the part about his children being part of his calling is sickening.

On the plus side, the thought of Alan trying to start a singalong in prison and getting loudly booed instead is hilarious.

Agreed. And he sounds absolutely crackers. Like looney tuuuuune! 

His ranting, preaching, sermon whatever, is nuts. I think he’s gone a bit mad in there, as if he wasn’t already. 

And somehow, he has managed to surpress the glaring fact that he is a child rapist? Does he think he appears as some sort of fascinating, intelligent man spouting interesting theological philosophies? Like everyone reading this is gonna be like wow ALAN you are amazing! Your voice spake directly from God  himself! What a martyr you are!!! 

I don’t think we have any reason to doubt, if there is a God who decides these things up there, he’s going straight to Hell. 

I came straight to Freejinger after reading this verbal diarrhea on Bret's FB. I need to pick up my jaw off the ground. Still not an ounce, not a flicker of remorse from Alan, and an ego the size of Russia. He sounds like a narcissistic psychopath, and his parents are his enablers.

The part that got me the most, made me choke up thinking of the child(ren) he has hurt.

"I used to have a Purpose and a Calling, I thought, centered around my children. In them I found most of the above, especially Beauty and Duty. While I expect them to remain an important part of my Purpose, He's given me a new Calling."

This man is in jail for incest, and he is literally telling us he misses the Beauty of his children and his sense of Duty to them. He believes he can still be a part of their lives. He believes God took them away to use him towards a new Calling, which is apparently leading prisoners to God and becoming  a successful author. GOD IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ASS BEING IN JAIL YOU DISGUSTING PIECE OF SHIT!!

Who does he think is going to publish Christian fiction by a pedophile who unironically uses "mayhap" in his sentences?

ETA- Is he talking about Eragon with the inmates?

6 hours ago, Bethella said:

I just checked, she was 3 and he was 5. Which is still weird but at least still on a similar level developmentally. In my opinion that's not nearly as swicky as a 10 or 11 year old Michael being "married" to a 4 or 5 year old Dorothy, etc.

Agreed.  The creep factor on that one was mainly the casual use of the word "fornication" by a 5 year old, particularly since it was directed at his toddler-age sister AND was used "correctly" by their personal standards. But then I noticed that Zoo mentioned that Becky was "off the market" in the same post, since she'd been married to Solomon for several months. 

At the time the post was published, Solomon was 8 1/2... and Becky was 14 months old. 

Someone with the last name Weathers (I assume a relative of the Mortons' friend Amanda?) left a scathing comment asking why Bret  is still supporting Alan, given the charges he's facing. I genuinely hope they answer and don't just delete the comment.

Christ on a bicycle. I've never said or even thought this about another human being (including exes), but I wish someone there would beat that sanctimonious dolt to a pulp - a serious ass whoopin'. Alas and mayhaps.

7 hours ago, waltraute said:

Christ on a bicycle. I've never said or even thought this about another human being (including exes), but I wish someone there would beat that sanctimonious dolt to a pulp - a serious ass whoopin'. Alas and mayhaps.

I think they often keep an extra eye on the child rapists in prison because they know they are targets. It makes sense they would be targets. Even murderers have their standards :-/

I am being a smart ass but it makes sense to me that child rapists are the lowest of the low. 

It's simple: You capitalize anything that you could name puritanical siblings. (or a spreadsheet).  

The sweet sisters Balance, Poise, Elegance and Grace. Their younger siblings Faith, True Friend, Heart of Hearts, Power and Mark. Of course you can't forget Beauty,  Compassion, Duty, Honor and Courage.  Their cousins His Presence, Mastery Over Self, Purpose,  Calling and Lead.   Truths of Eternity,  Scope of the Stars and the Least of These. Somewhat unimaginatively named Music, Balance, Rhythm and Beauty. Finally we've got Love, Skill and Excel

For posterity's sake, before it gets deleted: 

image.png.e6817b5a7e173d18ea01d4513389250b.png

ETA: P.S. love that kressant liked the comment. 

Does anyone other than his parents actually support him? Are any of the people on that page going to give a shit about his well-being or book projects?

9 minutes ago, SoGladIWasCofE said:

Does anyone other than his parents actually support him? Are any of the people on that page going to give a shit about his well-being or book projects?

It seems that some of Jackie and Bret's family are still on their side. So I'm guessing there are a few. However I have a feeling that a lot of the families that know both the Mortons and the Smiths are not going to support Alan although they may not vocally take sides. 

• DaisyD locked this topic

Archived