IGNORED

Dillards 28: A Walk Down Memory Lane

Destiny

10 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Such an interesting thought- how much of these fundies know what's really going on in the world, moreso if they have no TV and very limited internet access. They probably don't get decent history education/exposure due to SOTDRT. But are they also limited in the current news events that are occurring? I can't imagine life without knowing the past and present.

I live in northern NJ and was 11 when 9/11 happened. People in our town went into New York as first responders, and some unfortunately didn't come back to our suburban towns. Most people around here have at least a handful of stories of someone they knew being affected. The absence of the towers in the city skyline felt very tangible. 

My in-laws are all English, and when they came here in October for our wedding, almost all of them visited the 9/11 Museum. While I completely understand why the museum exists (I have visited many Holocaust museums across the world), it's kind of weird to think of that day, and the days following, as being a museum exhibit. I don't think I'll ever go to the museum- not because I don't think it's informative or educational, especially for those who were not alive when it happened. I just feel like I lived it; we prayed, we mourned, and we came back bigger and stronger as a community. I'm not sure if I'm articulating this properly, it just seems kind of weird and surreal maybe sometimes to think of that day as a tourism attraction with a gift shop at the end of it.

I have a friend who lived in N. VA and worked in DC during 9/11 her husband worked in the Pentagon, and was there when the plane crashed into it.  They are from MA and she knew 1 of the plane passengers that crashed into one of the towers. She & her husband had a hard time going to any of the memorials in DC or NYC, they eventually left VA and moved back to MA she was to nervous to stay in VA. 

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FJismyheadship said:

Actually, I think it was Dora Buenrostro who killed her three children in 1994. Two of them were killed at home and that's what I remember, the kids were killed at home.

Could also have been Darlie Routier. That was in 1996. I had forgotten her name but I googled it. I see she's still on death row, still claiming innocence.

Sorry If I haven't been on much lately, I've been going through a rough anxiety spell lately.

News Memory: I vaguely remember Princess Diana's death, 

My first big one was 9/11, I was in 5th grade and they didn't tell us much about it but my friends and I thought it was terrorists. We thought Russia or China was behind it.

Olympics: I was obsessed with Michelle Kwan, I figured If I could get good at rollerblading I could be like her! 

I have always loved Gymnastics, Swimming, Speed skating and Figure skating. 

I remember my mom telling me about Princess Diana dying- I was brushing my teeth. It was the first time I heard the term "paparazzi". My mom cried the entire day of her funeral, she remembered watching the wedding and how beautiful she looked. 

25 minutes ago, Coy Koi said:

Could also have been Darlie Routier. That was in 1996. I had forgotten her name but I googled it. I see she's still on death row, still claiming innocence.

That was local to us. What a messed up situation that was.

2 hours ago, FJismyheadship said:

Maybe. That does sound familiar, and I would have been about six going on seven, so I would be old enough to wonder why a mother would do that to her children... 

what about that Farrah Fawcett movie - not the Burning Bed which was brilliant but that other movie called Small Sacrifices - also brilliant 

I have the book Small Sacrifices somewhere....Diane Downs I believe her name was. Yep, just goggled it. Killed her daughter and attempted to kill the other two kids in 1983.

Did we ever learn why Derek was gag-puking? I vaguely remember that he went to the doctor, and so did Jill, and they discovered a heart issue. Or something. 

Clearly I don't watch the show haha. 

My first really clear memory of a major world event was 9/11. I was 8 and in California. I remember being on the bus with my neighbor and she said her cousin was going to go to war. 

I think I also remember Bush II's election, though being 7 I wasn't terribly interested in politics. 

3 hours ago, IronicallyMaeve said:

Did we ever learn why Derek was gag-puking? I vaguely remember that he went to the doctor, and so did Jill, and they discovered a heart issue. Or something. 

They did go to the doctor. The doctor had no idea what was causing it and I believe he advised Derick to see an allergist. We've heard nothing about it since then. Jill was told by the doctor that he heard a sound in her carotid artery which might indicate narrowing. He said he would send her for a neck ultrasound and if there was indeed narrowing she would have to have her heart checked. But like Derick's mysterious gagging, we've heard nothing about it since. 

My kindergarten class voted during the Reagan/Mondale election. I voted for Reagan because I liked "Bedtime for Bonzo." Haven't voted Republican since.

I actually almost feel sorry for Jill. It's gotta suck to think you're doing everything right, only to end up in a situation you don't really want to be in. Derek is totally turning into Boob Jr.

15 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

They did go to the doctor. The doctor had no idea what was causing it and I believe he advised Derick to see an allergist. We've heard nothing about it since then. Jill was told by the doctor that he heard a sound in her carotid artery which might indicate narrowing. He said he would send her for a neck ultrasound and if there was indeed narrowing she would have to have her heart checked. But like Derick's mysterious gagging, we've heard nothing about it since. 

Gotta save material for the next season - I predict some "drama" for Jill related to a possible heart problem and her pregnancy.

I feel really sorry for their second kid. When Jill was pregnant with Israel both she and Derick were obviously in a much better mental state and seemed to really look forward to the birth of their child (with the weekly pregnant stomach pictures and all) and with this pregnancy we've hardly had any pictures or tweets about the upcoming birth. It's bad enough that that child will be born into ATI/IBLP, but this one will have the added "bonus" of seeing how differently his brother was treated even before birth (The way Jill and Derick went on about it, you'd think Isreal was the second coming of Christ).

I guess it's possible that they do have a lot of pictures that they just haven't shared this time around, but I really doubt that.

Many on here say their first national/world news memory is Princess Diana's death (8/31/97). I remember that as well (I was at my sister's apartment and I was in college. We woke up to the news and were watching in disbelief. Especially over how she died.) but then I remember the news a couple days later, Mother Teresa had passed away (9/5/97). And I remember thinking, what incredible humanitarians in their own right both gone within days of each other. Then another contrast of the 2 women's lives -  the day after Mother Teresa's death was Diana's funeral (9/6/97). Diana's funeral was again far different than that of Mother Teresa's later that month. 

14 hours ago, guitar_villain said:

My earliest memory was the Apollo 11 moon walk.  I remember my parents waking me up and sitting me in front of the TV and telling me to remember it.  I was 3 at the time.

That said, it's depressing to think how many cultural touchstones are past current teenager's memories.  I teach first year college students and 9-11 is fading into the mist- only a few remember it actually happening.  Reagan, the Berlin Wall, etc are all ancient history.

I'm surprised any first year college student would remember 9-11. My kids are a senior and a junior(should be sophomore) in college. The junior has never remembered it. He was in K-4 at the time. The senior was in first grade and her memory is very blurry of it. She remembers the local weather of that day better. She remembers its was cloudy and she was wondering if we would have a tornado. 

Back to Jill & Derrick - heart condition and unknown allergy and the both saw doctors. The good news is they go to see doctors, real MDs. Did Derrick say he is on allergy meds? He could also have blockage or polyps in his nasal cavity. The possibilities are near endless. TLC making this a plot line seems on point for them. It's everyday stuff. Now because these are the duggars, Derrick going back to a real job or going to a real missionary that would be a good plot line. Derrick & Jilly - did you know that you don't have to go to S America to help? You could just go up in Appalachia and help. Or they could go back to NC and help out in Dare county (OBX). The year-round residents of Dare County are a lot like the resort workers in the Caribbean, hidden from the rich vacationers. They seemed to enjoy the ocean on their honeymoon. http://www.obsentinel.com/news/in-resort-setting-some-dare-residents-struggle-with-poverty/article_1fd28c6e-823b-11e5-ac16-cb2a1b402bd2.html 

37 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Back to Jill & Derrick - heart condition and unknown allergy and the both saw doctors. 

Possible heart condition and possible allergy. Neither was anywhere near confirmed. Jill was told she would need a neck ultrasound to rule out narrowing in her carotid artery and then only if narrowing was found would they investigate the possibility of a heart condition. The doctor was mystified as to the cause of Derick's gagging and suggested he see an allergist. 

23 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Possible heart condition and possible allergy. Neither was anywhere near confirmed. Jill was told she would need a neck ultrasound to rule out narrowing in her carotid artery and then only if narrowing was found would they investigate the possibility of a heart condition. The doctor was mystified as to the cause of Derick's gagging and suggested he see an allergist. 

thank you for the correction. Yes, possible heart and possible allergy. Hell the gagging could be acid reflux- bile coming up because he now knows he made a deal with the devil (Jimboob) when marrying Jill. :D

My first memory of news was Desert Storm. I remember seeing the coverage on the news and not understanding why there were civilians/people in the areas being bombed. I didn't understand that they were conducting a war in actual cities where people lived/worked. I guess I thought there was like a designated place where you go to war- like a baseball field but meant for war instead. I think I was 7 at the time.

After that, I remember the Clinton/Bush election and watching the states turn color on the tv. And WACO, Atlanta Olympics, Princess Diana.

The abduction and murder of Jennifer Odom was a pretty local news story and terrified me.

My 7th grade math class was stopped so that we could watch the verdict of the OJ case announced live.

The Clinton/Lewinski drama was endlessly on tv in my mid-teens.

I was a sophomore when Columbine happened. As a result, we were issued school ID cards, started doing bomb drills, and started lockdowns.

ETA: To me, JIll and Derick are the phrase "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" personified.

I have very vivid memories of Monica Lewinsky, Elian Gonzalez, the 2000 election, hanging chads, and the shark crisis!!! the summer before 9/11 (anyone remember that?) - I was old enough to follow the news but young enough that I basically took none of it seriously and thought it was all absolutely hilarious. 9/11 put an end to that. 

2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I have very vivid memories of Monica Lewinsky, Elian Gonzalez, the 2000 election, hanging chads, and the shark crisis!!! the summer before 9/11 (anyone remember that?) - I was old enough to follow the news but young enough that I basically took none of it seriously and thought it was all absolutely hilarious. 9/11 put an end to that. 

summer ahead of 9 11 when Gary Conduit was on Larry King Live endlessly 

31 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

I was a sophomore when Columbine happened. As a result, we were issued school ID cards, started doing bomb drills, and started lockdowns.

I was teaching for the first time when Columbine happened. We had endless prank calls of bomb threats and school evacuations. The district I taught in was much like Columbine- white middle to upper class outside a major city. It was awful. the following school year I moved back to the other side of the state to get married and I haven't taught since. Now it would be different because most protocols for schools have been in in for a long time. However, my local district didn't start doing the buzzer for entry (with video monitoring) until after Sandy Hook. Even the daycares started doing the buzzer system at that time.

2 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Many on here say their first national/world news memory is Princess Diana's death (8/31/97). I remember that as well (I was at my sister's apartment and I was in college. We woke up to the news and were watching in disbelief. Especially over how she died.) but then I remember the news a couple days later, Mother Teresa had passed away (9/5/97). And I remember thinking, what incredible humanitarians in their own right both gone within days of each other. Then another contrast of the 2 women's lives -  the day after Mother Teresa's death was Diana's funeral (9/6/97). Diana's funeral was again far different than that of Mother Teresa's later that month. 

I guess I didn't think of Diana's wedding, I was 10, I think that was before the Reagan assassination attempt, or around the same time.  I remember watching that wedding all day it was amazing, to my young self.  I do remember the day she died.  It was my birthday, here in the US, Hubby and I had gone out to dinner and we stopped at my parents because they bought me something big, I was pregnant with my 1st child (1st grandbaby too) & it was something for the baby,  and we were watching the news and they were talking about the car accident when we left to go home, about a 25 minute drive, and by the time we got home they announced she had died. I remember crying during her funeral watching little William and Harry walk behind her casket and that spray of flowers with the card that said "Mummy", damn I lost it, and I blame the pregnancy hormones for that. 

I was in grade school. john-lennon-sorry-girls-hes-married.pngwhen JFK was shot. I remember watching the funeral with the riderless horse with the riding boots facing backward in the stirrups. They kept calling him the "late" president and I couldn't figure out what the heck he was late for! To this day, whenever someone is referred to as the late so-and-so, I still think of President Kennedy.

Soon after that, the Beatles were on TV and superimposed over John's face, it said "Sorry girls, He's married!"

I was in Switzerland on vacation when JFK Jr died.  I so wanted to be at home so I could watch the news endlessly but alas i was in Switzerland

1 hour ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I was teaching for the first time when Columbine happened. We had endless prank calls of bomb threats and school evacuations. The district I taught in was much like Columbine- white middle to upper class outside a major city. It was awful. the following school year I moved back to the other side of the state to get married and I haven't taught since. Now it would be different because most protocols for schools have been in in for a long time. However, my local district didn't start doing the buzzer for entry (with video monitoring) until after Sandy Hook. Even the daycares started doing the buzzer system at that time.

I was in Whistler for the day when Columbine happened - actually past Whistler - Pemberton - just for the day and then I remember watching the news when I got home

1 minute ago, nst said:

I was in Switzerland on vacation when JFK Jr died.  I so wanted to be at home so I could watch the news endlessly but alas i was in Switzerland

I was in Whistler for the day when Columbine happened - actually past Whistler - Pemberton - just for the day and then I remember watching the news when I got home

My family has a weird thing with celebrity deaths, Elvis died on my dad's birthday, Princess Diana died on my birthday  JFK Jr died on my brothers birthday. JFK Jr and Carolyn got married the same day I DH & I did. We came back from out honeymoon in the Bahamas and saw the news magazines that they married 9-21-96, I thought that was cool (why I have no idea). 

I have vague recollection of Columbine, I had an 18 month old and was about 8 weeks pregnant, totally mommy & pregnancy brain going at that time, the late 90's early 2000's are a completely blur of infants and toddlers. 

Sandy Hook on the other hand, UGH, I still cry thinking about that. So many young kids, adorable, sweet, baby faced little kids, and fucking assholes saying it was a false flag because guns and freedom and some other such bullshit. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived