Destiny

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Georgiana said:

It's high time we had a Quiver Full of Butts anyway:

I think I love you. 

11 hours ago, calimojo said:

She posts a lot of pictures and tends to have current duggar "news" without having to scroll through 20 pages of chatter.  Yes, she blocks people rather freely, but as it is her own FB page,  that seems within her rights. 

I go to her page about once a day, just to see if anything new has happened.  I come here to FJ when I have more time and want to dialogue or speculate about the how and why this cult grew or other related topics. 

I don't have an issue with Pickles.  I know a lot of people on here do.  I never post to her page, but I do stop by and read any new posts.  And, i appreciate her feminism and liberalism as well.  Is she a kook?  Well, I mean come on,  that is like the pot calling the kettle black.  Pretty much anyone on the outside looking in at FJ or Pickles, or the other Duggar snark sites would think we were all a little kooky for spending so much of our time talking about this family or the other fundie fams.  It is a rather odd hobby or interest.  And even though I think there is a part of FJ that has an eye towards activism to disempower the cults and other cults of patriarchy,  the majority of time on here is all of us debating for 20+ pages the significance of a pair of bermuda shorts. 

So to call Pickles nutty is kind of funny to me.  We are all a bit nutty, imo.  I own it.  No big deal.  No different than my husband who knows intimate details of the Cubs players for the past 40 years and beyond.  We are all crazy in our own way.

Yes, but we are the Pot and she is the Kettle!! Mostly, I just cannot believe she is still devoting so much time to Duggar-chronicaling and that she is still getting traffic. But, hey, look at these pages!

I go there to get news or pics faster but then immediately come here for the conversation because you guys are infinitely more fun! 

Going back a few pages to the NI drift - Martin McGuinness died today. He was a leading member of Sinn Fein, and, most believed, of the PIRA.

I have friends staying, and the husband is ex British Army and did 3 tours in NI. He had nothing but hate to express, which I found sad - I did not agree with McGuinness on many things, but in recent years he did seem to at least try with the peace process.

I am first generation English, with Irish parents - mother RC, father nothing in particular.In the 70s, I was close enough to be blown off my feet by the bomb in the Tower of LOndon. I worked for many years as a tour manager in both the Republic and NI, with US passengers. Almost to a T, they supported the PIRA.

I tried explaining to them, in the 70s and 80s, that by donating to the PIRA, they were

a)supporting terrorism

b)supporting terrorism in a fellow NATO country.

c)The funds they were donating were going to a Warsaw Pact country to buy arms and explosives.

Win, win, USSR! Get paid for causing unrest,  disruption and death in a NATO country!

I encouraged donations instead to the Corriemeela Project, partly sponsored by the Peace Project at Coventry Cathedral, which sponsored coreligion schooling, and holidays and interaction between the children of NI. I'm not sure many listened.

For a fascinating look at the Troubles, I highly recommend A Place Apart by Dervla Murphy, who travelled the north in the mid 70s talking with all sides, and reporting with no discernible bias.(God, I envy her capacity for Guinness!)

And as a side note, I was once in Belfast on the 12th of July, and have never felt so scared and vulnerable as watching the triumphalist Orange marches. This was in the mid nineties, so I am willing to believe that things have changed - but then, they were meant to be intimidatory.

ETA Robert Kee's A History of Ireland gives a very good summary of the origins of the Troubles, and the first decade.

I love Pickle's page, and I have never seen her praise the Duggars. It is funny when leghumpers show up on her page and defend Josh though. LOLZ.

On 20/03/2017 at 9:35 AM, MargaretElliott said:

OH MY GOD my friends and I do dramatic readings of his books sometimes when we get together (usually with a good bottle of whiskey or two) and it's the funniest damn thing. Highly recommended for those who love comically bad literature. I'm so glad someone else finds him funny!

I don't know why you guys are having unicorns, they're a pain to clean up after. I have a diamond pony. Her name is Butt Stallion.

Dramatic readings with friends are the best, holy shit. I used to be a voice actor (as a teen, for a few years, not a big deal) so I'm always conned into being the narrator or doing the most annoyingly long-winded parts but my friends do amazing accents (I could never do any voice but my own). I feel weird bringing that up in a thread where DGayle is posting, though. Swear I'm not trying to one-up, it's more of a passive-aggressive complaint that my friends never let me have the fun parts.

On a more serious note, I've always had an interest in Irish history and when I found out my bio-family were refugees from the north it made me read up on the Troubles and Irish politics more studiously. I was subscribed to Sinn Féin's newsletter (on a throwaway email, I'm well aware of the organisation's history) for a long time just to educate myself. I wish people were more educated in general about the Troubles and that people wouldn't glamorise either side. It was a horrifying conflict where countless innocent lives were lost. There's nothing romantic about being a member of a terrorist organisation.

So, shorts.
That's cool, I guess.

5 hours ago, Kailash said:

@nelliebelle1197 Has it been confirmed that DaniLouisiana is really DGayle?

I'm not Nellie, but does that really matter?  DGayle is not the only person to have told lies on the internet. It is not against the rules to tell whoppers on FJ.  It is up to you whether you get suckered by them, although some of us do try to head them off at the pass.  

Yes, I've keeping an eye on DaniLouisiana for ages because of a rather uncanny resemblance to DGayle.   As in giving her enough rope to hang herself.  DaniLouisiana, when challenged, came up with a very DGayle-like obfuscation and hugely improbable story, and if you look back on her posts the inconsistencies, drama, bids for sympathy, and a whole lot of improbabilities are all there.

People should make up their own minds about the truth.  Just know that emotional vampires and bored people in desperate need of attention are out there and proceed with caution.  It is the internet, after all.

On 3/18/2017 at 1:47 PM, Hmmm_idolatry said:

I have been to the republic of Ireland three time (I'm not Irish, I just really like the place) and had always wanted to visit Northern Ireland.  I have a history degree and I've always been fascinated by the so-called "troubles".  I was even more fascinated by the political art that is found in places like Belfast and Derry, and had always wanted to see it in person.  On the last trip to the republic, I talked Mr. Idolatry into getting on the train with me and spending the day in Belfast.  The night before, I cruised around the internet and found a driver to give us the tour of the neighborhoods, both Protestant and Catholic, where the murals could be found.  When we got the in the cab, we went through the Catholic Falls Road area first.  It was exactly as I had imagined it would be-art with Celtic themes, tributes to dead hunger strikers, Sinn Fein offices, pubs, etc.  When we got to the so-called peace lines, I was absolutely horrified.  The peace line is basically a wall that separates the neighborhood.  It's taller than the Berlin Wall ever was-purely because both sides kept throwing bombs over it during the troubles.  The houses that are closest to it on the Catholic side literally have bricked-over windows in the front.  They have done this because the Orange Order marches down their street every year and they got tired of both having to see this and of things getting thrown at their windows by Orange Order supporters.  I cannot imagine living this way.  It amazes me that the Orange Order are still allowed to to march through the Catholic neighborhoods.  Talk about deliberate provocation.  

I knew nothing about the Protestant neighborhoods because we simply don't get coverage of their version of the IRA in the US.  Yes, they have their own paramilitary/terrorist groups, and they are every bit as violent and awful as the Provisional IRA.  The murals on the buildings in the Protestant neighborhoods were also very disturbing.  Their art featured people in ski masks pointing automatic weapons at the viewer.  I was very creeped out by many of their murals.  I understand why the Orange Order exists, and yes, they have the right to hold all the parades they want, but IMO, they have no business marching through the Catholic neighborhoods.  

I'm not anti-Protestant, but let's just say that trip was a huge eye-opener for me.  In the US, our coverage of NI comes from the BBC.  Our movies about this issue are always from the republican point of view, and the "villain" in those films is usually the British military.  I had no idea about the Protestant paramilitary groups, and I was shocked to see what their neighborhoods were like.  

I have a degree in History and I've been to Ireland multiple times- I still have some distant family that lives in Donegal and in Wexford. I did get to go on a five week field study and we specifically studied the Troubles. There's a really great book I read after I got back called Belfast Diary, and it's the work of a Chicago journalist who lived in Belfast during some of the most dangerous times in Northern Ireland. I'm by no means an expert but I do think the conflict is an interesting one to study and going there and seeing the "peace walls" made it so much more real for me. Sorry for the tangent but that book really was a great read.

On 3/20/2017 at 4:31 PM, Georgiana said:

It's high time we had a Quiver Full of Butts anyway:

@Palimpsest I'm inclined to give some people the benefit of the doubt but I trust your opinion. I'd rather not invest my emotions in lying liars who lie. I saw that she was still active which is why I asked. Thank you for responding. 

1 hour ago, Kailash said:

@Palimpsest I'm inclined to give some people the benefit of the doubt but I trust your opinion. I'd rather not invest my emotions in lying liars who lie. I saw that she was still active which is why I asked. Thank you for responding. 

Being a lying liar who lies is not against the rules. Being a sock is, but we would need solid proof. Sometimes trolls get all indignant and flounce dramatically requiring their account beeing deactivated, à la Maltese Baby. DGayle, iirc, never flounced, she preferred to silently ignore allegations and stopped posting with that account. Iirc she was banned for creating a sock, Jingerbread.

Danie might not be DGayle, but there is no way her story happened. Making up a fake life with a child who does quantum mechanics and where the California public school system doesn't behave like it would in real life, isn't against the rules which is why she is still posting like this thread never happened. But people should keep in mind that her stories tend to not add up when looked up too closely. 

I get people change details to maintain privacy, but that doesn't seem to be what is going on with her stories. 

For me a red flag goes off anytime a person starts mentioning their super genius child. IME most people making up lives don't create an average child who does nothing out of the ordinary. Didn't MalteseBaby have a genius child along with her expensive fish? 

@sawasdee your post brought back memories! My cousins were involved with Corrymeela. I did Spirit of Enniskillen Peace and Reconciliation group.

Do you remember when Sinn Fein members were dubbed on tv broadcasts? Northern Ireland was a strange place back in the day.

I feel conflicted about Martin McGuinness. He was involved in violence and death but in the end he helped Northern Ireland on the path to peace and rejected any attempts by his previous comrades to return to the "armed struggle". Perhaps he's up there now with his fellow Chuckle Brother Ian Paisley. The fact they became friends was a sign that reconciliation was possible. Here's hoping the current mess at Stormont will have a positive resolution for the good of the country.

15 hours ago, Kailash said:

@nelliebelle1197 Has it been confirmed that DaniLouisiana is really DGayle?

Nope, because that is actually hard, but there are too many coincidences. And notice she did not come back to the thread to yell at us? Typical for Dani Gayle behavior. If she is not, then she is her twin sister!

6 hours ago, Kailash said:

I'm inclined to give some people the benefit of the doubt but I trust your opinion.

Oh, so am I inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt.  That's why she went unchallenged for so long.  As far as I'm concerned she can post about cats and needlework all she likes, and little harmless lies are fine.  I wouldn't take medical advice from her though. 

Her telling lies about religious persecution in a public school annoyed me, as did her making light of the Troubles.  We also have plenty of lurking Fundies who would see that story as confirmation of the evils of public school.  It really never could have happened the way she said.

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

For me a red flag goes off anytime a person starts mentioning their super genius child. IME most people making up lives don't create an average child who does nothing out of the ordinary. Didn't MalteseBaby have a genius child along with her expensive fish? 

Same. Especially when they frame it as a curse. "Oh, I just don't know what I'm going to do with my GENIUS child who [insert list of developmentally improbable if not impossible accomplishments here]."

I believe MalteseBaby's son was reading the New York Times at the age of two. Something like that. She also had a confused story about getting a PhD in Psychology in an impossibly short period of time. And she loved to talk about the fact that she lived in a gated community and retired at a young age because her husband is rich. And, of course, the million dollar constipated fish.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

Especially when they frame it as a curse. "Oh, I just don't know what I'm going to do with my GENIUS child who [insert list of developmentally improbable if not impossible accomplishments here]."

Well MY kid was programming computers in the womb, and I just don't know what to do with her!!!!!! She is too smart for life. Please help. I'll find flaws in all of your advice, though. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

My other favourite is when they point to something that's normal as proof of their child's genius. "My son is just too gifted for me to handle! He's only five, and he's already asking questions about what he sees on the news!" Yeah, probably because you're making him watch the news. What kid wouldn't ask questions?

One that makes me cringe is when they point to deficits as proof of their child's giftedness. First of all, it's possible to be highly intelligent in one area but highly deficient in another. Second of all, it's great that little Sebastian is three grade levels ahead in reading, but if he can't remember his multiplication tables, or he can never focus in class, or always forgets his homework, or can't get along with the teachers or any of the other kids, it might not be because he's just too gifted to care about mundane things like homework and social skills. There might be something else going on.

Remember Abigail Benjamin who was totally convinced that the reason her kids were struggling with basic math and reading was because they were so gifted?

It is amazing how many people on the internet have genius children. 

I also love it when people are creating fake lives and they can't help but casually mention that they are hanging with brain surgeons, NASA engineers, or best friend and her movie star boyfriend. Dani did this one too. She wasn't just going out to eat she was going out to eat(with doctors). Adding the extra "I'm hanging out with someone I think sounds impressive" makes me roll my eyes. 

I am going out to eat for lunch(with President Obama), though. :wink-kitty:

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

She also had a confused story about getting a PhD in Psychology in an impossibly short period of time. And she loved to talk about the fact that she lived in a gated community and retired at a young age because her husband is rich. And, of course, the million dollar constipated

Ah. Maltese Baby.  She was a registered nurse as well as a psychologist who knew nothing about psychology. And a model.  And had been stalked.  Which rich husband? She had six extravagant weddings.  They were much better weddings than anyone else's.

I think DGayle also got very confused as to the number of children she had and whether they were twins or singletons.  She was a former model too.  No wonder we get them confused.

39 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Well MY kid was programming computers in the womb, and I just don't know what to do with her!!!!!! She is too smart for life. Please help. I'll find flaws in all of your advice, though. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

Pfff. My pet unicorn does that.

My life of eating a sandwich with a coworker on a bench, in this nice spring weather. Just got a lot less interesting. Thank god, I have FJ to tell me what I need to strive for; genius children, gated communities, million dollar fish, and a rich husband or maybe two. 

2 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

My life of eating a sandwich with a coworker on a bench, in this nice spring weather. Just got a lot less interesting. Thank god, I have FJ to tell me what I need to strive for; genius children, gated communities, million dollar fish, and a rich husband or maybe two. 

Is your coworker a doctor? A movie star? Did you discuss your genius child and rich husband? Perhaps that expensive vintage car you have sitting in your garage for your mega rich husband to tinker with in his spare time.

Take lessons on how to add interest to your otherwise normal life. Just think how exciting your life can be! 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived