IGNORED

JinJer: When Shorts Attack!

Destiny

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Fighter said:

I've never heard the term young earth creationists, what or whom does it refer to?

Young earth creationists are a sect of creationists that believe the world was created in 6 literal days and the earth is approximately 6000 years old, using genealogy records from the old testament bible to arrive at the 6000 number. 

1 hour ago, immodest_countenance said:

On that note ... its pretty sad you your instructor to preface a class like that to not offend the young earth creationists. I get prefacing a class that is naturally controversial with a lot of conflicting theories and opinions (Political Science, Sociology, Ethics, Philosophy, etc), but unless you're currently working on a Genetics dissertation, you really have no room to argue or get offended at things like evolution. If your beliefs are seriously tested in (what i'm assuming) is a freshman level biology class; then you need to re-evaluate how valid your beliefs are. 

It was a first year psychology class! I still have no idea why he even brought it up. He spent way too much time giving a confused and rambling speech about not being offended by the material in his lecture than he did on the actual lecture. 

7 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

So you can confidently say that every Orangeman in the orange order is a bad person because of the actions of a few? 

I'm sure there are current KKK and Westboro Baptist Church members who are kind to their parents and such, but I sure as hell wouldn't be defending them.

ETA I'm British, and the Orange Order do deliberately provocative things in Catholic neighbourhoods, even in the UK.  It's along the same lines as the Westboro Baptist Church picketing military funerals, and things like that - designed to raise tensions, and in the worst cases, provoke violence.  Being an Orangeman is not shorthand for being an Irish Protestant, it has a specific meaning and history.

6 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Except that according  Wikipedia

They are still working against peace agreements and pursuing divisive politics.

Wikipedia is known for inaccurate information and anyone can edit it. 

Yes there is still problems in the Orange Order; but it's getting more progressive. One example is the outreach of the new museum to Catholic Schools and youth groups to promote inclusiveness and help the education of the upcoming generations of the mistakes of the past and to combat stereotypes. 

So what they support a united unionist party? Many nationalists support a united nationalist party. It actually makes sense in terms of providing a stable platform for unionist people. 

Furthermore, the 12th July celebrations commemorate the battle of the Boyne - a big event in Irish history. Yes it has been tainted by bigots; but the 100s of orange men I know do not agree with the anti-catholic atmosphere and are trying to combat it by banning bands that cause trouble etc. 

8 minutes ago, Lurky said:

I'm sure there are current KKK and Westboro Baptist Church members who are kind to their parents and such, but I sure as hell wouldn't be defending them.

ETA I'm British, and the Orange Order do deliberately provocative things in Catholic neighbourhoods, even in the UK.  It's along the same lines as the Westboro Baptist Church picketing military funerals, and things like that - designed to raise tensions, and in the worst cases, provoke violence.  Being an Orangeman is not shorthand for being an Irish Protestant, it has a specific meaning and history.

The OO are hardly comparable to the KKK. 

The majority of Orange parades in the north and south pass off peacefully - but that doesn't make the headlines because it isn't good news. 

Theres contention on the Ardoyne shop fronts because post troubles that part of the route has grown in nationalist population. Before that it was just another point of a route that had been used for years. 

Yes there are a significant minority that go out to cause trouble and make the headlines but they are no different to those that go out of their way to be offended by travelling to parade routes to sing IRA songs; through things and harras people who have done nothing to provoke them. Both are a disappointment and disgusting. But that shouldn't deflect from the steps forward that have been taken. 

5 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

The majority of Orange parades in the north and south pass off peacefully - but that doesn't make the headlines because it isn't good news. 

The Westboro Baptist Church picket military funerals and funerals of gay people peacefully, but that doesn't mean their actions aren't hurtful or harmful.  How would you like a march come through your neighbourhood that had a baseline message of hating your community, your religion, and everything you stand for?  How would you like your kids to hear things about them like the Orange Order says/sings about Catholic kids?

12 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Yes there is still problems in the Orange Order; but it's getting more progressive.

Well, please talk some more.  I'm a cynic on the OO but if you are a member and are convinced that they are moving forward I am all ears.

21 minutes ago, Lurky said:

The Westboro Baptist Church picket military funerals and funerals of gay people peacefully, but that doesn't mean their actions aren't hurtful or harmful.  How would you like a march come through your neighbourhood that had a baseline message of hating your community, your religion, and everything you stand for?  How would you like your kids to hear things about them like the Orange Order says/sings about Catholic kids?

The vast majority play hymns if anything at all in contentious areas. Hymns like Abide with me that aren't contentious. They don't go through; they go past shop fronts on the edge of a neighbourhood which is at an interface between nationalist and unionist areas. 

The baseline message is the commemoration of the Battle of the Boyne. They don't parade as an opportunity to mock people. 

The majority of orangemen do no harm to anyone. It's the minority's that are bigoted and ignorant that make the news for breaking rules and doing things that don't represent the majority of the community. What those minority do is awful. But so is what is said and sung to young kids on the otherside by members of the nationalist community. 

You seem to be of the impression that it's all one sided persecution. It's not. 

How would you like to be afraid to wear anything with Northern Ireland writtten on it in your own city centre because you'll get heckled or worse? Or to have your car covered in paint because of a small poppy sticker on the window when it was parked in a shopping centre car park after dark? 

Plenty of innocent orange men and ABOD are photographed during parades and targeted later on for doing nothing except taking part in a parade. 

For heavens sake I'm Derry the ABOD weren't allowed to take part in the St Patrick's day parade even though they're as Irish as the AOH that were allowed to take part. 

Theres two sides to everything and a minority on both sides who can't move forward and are hurting us all. 

13 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Well, please talk some more.  I'm a cynic on the OO but if you are a member and are convinced that they are moving forward I am all ears.

I'm not a member. 

Ive already mentioned the museum point. 

Many lodges have banned the taking out of bands who play contentious songs to provoke people. 

Many lodges provide community services and the orange halls are used for many things in many communities often for no charge. 

They have started doing educational outreach to schools of all sections of the community. Also partnering with youth groups in nationalist areas to provide cross community connections and experiences for Catholic and Protestant kids. 

Funding cross community fun days for children

8 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

The vast majority play hymns if anything at all in contentious areas. Hymns like Abide with me that aren't contentious. They don't go through; they go past shop fronts on the edge of a neighbourhood which is at an interface between nationalist and unionist areas. 

The baseline message is the commemoration of the Battle of the Boyne. They don't parade as an opportunity to mock people. 

The majority of orangemen do no harm to anyone. It's the minority's that are bigoted and ignorant that make the news for breaking rules and doing things that don't represent the majority of the community. What those majority do is awful. But so is what is said and sung to young kids on the otherside by members of the nationalist community. 

You seem to be of the impression that it's all one sided persecution. It's not. 

How would you like to be afraid to wear anything with Northern Ireland writtten on it in your own city centre because you'll get heckled or worse? Or to have your car covered in paint because of a small poppy sticker on the window when it was parked in a shopping centre car park after dark? 

Plenty of innocent orange men and ABOD are photographed during parades and targeted later on for doing nothing except taking part in a parade. 

For heavens sake I'm Derry the ABOD weren't allowed to take part in the St Patrick's day parade even though they're as Irish as the AOH that were allowed to take part. 

Theres two sides to everything and a minority on both sides who can't move forward and are hurting us all. 

I'm not a member. 

Ive already mentioned the museum point. 

Many lodges have banned the taking out of bands who play contentious songs to provoke people. 

Many lodges provide community services and the orange halls are used for many things in many communities often for no charge. 

They have started doing educational outreach to schools of all sections of the community. Also partnering with youth groups in nationalist areas to provide cross community connections and experiences for Catholic and Protestant kids. 

Funding cross community fun days for children

I'm sorry but both the orange order and the catholic equivalents are still part of the problem. In both Ireland and Scotland these marches cause trouble. They should be disbanded. 

40 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I'm sorry but both the orange order and the catholic equivalents are still part of the problem. In both Ireland and Scotland these marches cause trouble. They should be disbanded. 

This, and this again.  I am going to take a lot of convincing that the OO is for the good.  Sorry.

OK.  I am in a very bad mood.  I'm going to go out on a limb and just say it.

@DaniLouisiana,  I think you are full of shit.  Major bullshit.  Your story makes no sense for CA public schools. 

I can't be bothered to research all your old posts to prove it but the contradictions are all there.  And you sound so very, very, familiar.  Twisting and turning.

My gut says - believe in this poster's over the top stories at your own risk.  

I have had enough of the bullshit.  Let the chips fall where they may.  

That is all.

7 hours ago, DaniLouisiana said:

@formergothardite, unfortunately my inlaws were both employed by the same district at the time so I was convinced by them not to go the media. The school suspended my son for 3 days which was fine with me. We had had problems with this issue before with this particular teacher planning "mandatory"  events that interfered with religionous classes-I believe that what started the "war". Bigfoot didn't want to miss religion class for school related activities that were after school hours. Much like I did and still do, he found our church to be a peaceful refuge from the pressures of school/home.

I don't want to offend anyone else so I'm going to explain a little of my realtionship with the SBC and my childhood.

My biomom was SBC. My dad and stepmama are Catholic but attended Lutheren(?) church when we moved to the Midwest. I attended all three depending on whose house I was at on Sunday and if it was summer until biomom moved us to Nevada. I found the SBC church to be accusatory and hateful and hypocritical throughout my childhood as in the preacher would say to be kind to kids like me from the pulpit but tell his kids and others not to play with me at the social.  Both of my dad's churchs were more "restful" to me. I didn't feel attacked there. In the summer, until my biomom put a stop to it, my dad took me to LA and Catholic church. I throughly enjoyed it. I loved religion class. When my Bigfoot was born, I put my foot down and said he will be christened in my church! The next one can be your church. My husband has Catholic friends who are Bigfoot's godparents.  For awhile, Bigfoot and I went to church together every Sunday-then he became disenchanted with all religion.

fFor the record, I have attended SBC with my husband and his family. He has only attended my church with me for Bigfoot's christening.

Now I have to fix the damage tears do to makeup. ...

Dear lord, DGayle. We know it is you. Just. Stop. Making. Things. Up.

On 3/16/2017 at 10:18 AM, ViolaSebastian said:

A general rant (not directed to anyone in particular...) but I hate it that women who aren't 100% nice and easy going are automatically labeled "bitchy."  Men get to be frustrated, commanding, difficult, domineering, sarcastic, gruff, grumpy, etc. But women are just bitches. Frankly, I think it's fine when Duggar daughters don't "keep sweet."  To me, the shows that they're throwing off some of their programming and being real people. 

I may need to borrow some of this. I have been trying to express this lately. We have a local election and a candidate keeps being labeled as a bitch and a bully. She is blunt and asks hard questions and does not back down. I never thought of her as a bitch. The remarks are mostly from other women too. It's difficult to watch.

This discussion reminds me of Gerry Adams. Sometimes he tweets the weirdest things, like stuff about creme egg desires and his teddy bears being gay. A bizarre man.

5 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Dear lord, DGayle. We know it is you. Just. Stop. Making. Things. Up.

Who is DGayle, please?  I've heard the name mentioned here before.

A troll, I assume, but what is the purpose of his/her posts?  Is it just someone who wants attention by having the saddest of the sad stories?  Political or religious motivations?  Emotional manipulation so she/he can sit back and laugh at starting an argument or keeping an existing one going? 

31 minutes ago, Flossie said:

Who is DGayle, please?  I've heard the name mentioned here before.

A troll, I assume, but what is the purpose of his/her posts?  Is it just someone who wants attention by having the saddest of the sad stories?  Political or religious motivations?  Emotional manipulation so she/he can sit back and laugh at starting an argument or keeping an existing one going? 

I think DGayle was the one with the Million dollar constipated fish. She could always one up everyone's stories

1 minute ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I think DGayle was the one with the Million dollar constipated fish. She could always one up everyone's stories

Wait....they actually said they had a constipated fish? :my_huh: how would that even work 

1 hour ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Wasn't that Maltese Baby? Or were Maltese Baby and DGayle one and the same?

Trolls, socks, and a constipated fish? WTH kind alternative universe am I in?

8 minutes ago, EmainMacha said:

Wasn't that Maltese Baby? Or were Maltese Baby and DGayle one and the same?

Maybe. I think I was on a break from FJ when that happened. I get totally lost :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Maltese baby had the constipated fish. DGayle had life stories for ever single occasion that didn't add up and @nelliebelle1197 eventually called her out on it. She then came back as Jinger something and started it all over again with more stories including a close friend who was marrying a major movie star. 

I kind of remember the constipated fish, but I definitely remember the movie star thing.

Well, damn.  I often have a life story that I tell, either mine or someone else's.  But I'm not Dgayle.  I'll dial back on the life stories, but I just posted one on another thread!  Sometimes it's kind of theraputic, sometimes I'm just adding to the conversation, and sometimes it's theraputic for me.

But for the record, I used to keep freshwater fish.  I had a number of small tanks and ended up with a 75 gallon tank.  I never had a constipated fish, but I did have a betta that exploded, for lack of a better term.  We used to have a wonderful fish store in town and the owner told me what happened, but I can't remember what he said was the cause.  At least none of the other fish died.

Well, cutting back on the life stories didn't last long.

59 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

Trolls, socks, and a constipated fish? WTH kind alternative universe am I in?

The Twilight Zone.

7 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

I may need to borrow some of this. I have been trying to express this lately. We have a local election and a candidate keeps being labeled as a bitch and a bully. She is blunt and asks hard questions and does not back down. I never thought of her as a bitch. The remarks are mostly from other women too. It's difficult to watch.

It's so infuriating to witness and experience things like that. I'm really trying to undo the damage those attitudes do within myself at work; I'm being given more and more responsibilities that involve telling people to do things and give me things (like signatures and data), and I'm always agonizing over how to phrase emails so that I don't sound "bitchy" or "bossy". But I'm trying to stop doing that; if telling someone bluntly that they should have signed something I needed from them a week ago and they need to send it to me now makes me a naggy bitch, so be it.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived