IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy: Life with the Soccer Preacher Man

choralcrusader8613

9 hours ago, calimojo said:

exactly.  That is how I would imagine it.  Just like people who are racist often have friends of different races, but they see them as the 'exceptions' rather than the rule. 

I mean, I don't envision Jinger being mean to anyone.  So if she was standing in line at the grocery store and there was an obviously gay couple standing in front of her, I think she would be pleasant if they engaged her in small talk about the weather. 

She wouldn't be overtly mean, but you'd be able to feel her contempt. I've met people who acted outwardly pleasant to me, but that was a veneer over their contempt for me after they found out I was bisexual/Jewish/a democrat. You can tell.

Though I'm guilty of it too, I readily admit. I know a few Trump supporters I lost a whole lot of respect for after their stances became clear to me, but I remain cordial because they're my co-workers, though they know full well that I vehemently disagree with them and hold many of their views in contempt.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/25/2017 at 6:26 AM, singsingsing said:

I hate it when people working at the register comment on your purchases. One time the guy grabbed this pack of chicken breakfast sausages and said in a disdainful tone, "They're making chicken sausages now?" I was like, "No. They're not." Really? Another time I was buying Weight Watchers brand hamburger buns (I liked them because they were smaller). The lady working cash grabbed them, stared at me, and said, "These are [whatever price] - did you know that? Because they're Weight Watchers." What the actual eff, lady? Yes, I have eyes. I put them on the conveyor. Please just scan them and let me pay so I can go home. Another time my mum and I were buying Pepto Bismal and Tums, because we were restocking the medicine chest. The girl working cash was like, "Wow, everyone's got this stomach bug right now!"

I don't know. I used to work retail and I never would've commented on someone's purchases, unless it was to compliment them or try to sell them something to go with it, lol.

I don't get it either. Buying pregnancy tests is the worst. Seriously, teenaged cashier? None of your damn business. 

I agree about commenting on purchases.  It's non of your business.  My dad takes it to a whole other level though.  He gets so ticked when people look in his buggy. I have to laugh because the man never gets pissed about anything but anytime my mom would send him to the store he'd come back in a huff because people looked in his cart. Hahaha.  I guess we all have that one thing that irks us.

2 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

I don't get it either. Buying pregnancy tests is the worst. Seriously, teenaged cashier? None of your damn business. 

The only memorable time a cashier commented was almost 18 years ago now, I was buying the 2 things my husband forgot to get for dinner, pickles because I like the Duggars LOVE me some pickles & the ice cream for dh. cashier laughed and said oh your pregnant, I looked at her in shock (we hadn't told anyone yet I'd just found out that morning) and said "how did you know?" She then looked at me in shock and said 'you are?" I'm like yeah I just found out today she pointed to what I was buying, pickles and ice cream, and said I was just making a joke, but congratulations. I didn't even think about what I was doing we just forgot those two things in our earlier trip to the store. 

Cashiers should never comment on purchases. I made that mistake when I worked in retail. This lady bought this adorable toddler's dress, and I said "This is gorgeous, is it for Easter?" (Because that was right around the corner) And she replied that it was for her daughter's funeral and burst into tears. I've never felt so awful in my life. 

7 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Cashiers should never comment on purchases. I made that mistake when I worked in retail. This lady bought this adorable toddler's dress, and I said "This is gorgeous, is it for Easter?" (Because that was right around the corner) And she replied that it was for her daughter's funeral and burst into tears. I've never felt so awful in my life. 

Oh God, that is horrible! I would have burst into tears with her. 

My husband will purposely buy weird combinations of stuff in an attempt to make the cashier feel awkward. I recently sent him to Walgreens for some miralax for one child and some milk for the other child. He decided to add the worlds largest container of astroglide and rubber gloves to the mix and was sad when the cashier didn't look twice. 

15 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Oh, please don't feel badly about that. How could you have known??  Some of my happiest times have been cashiering -- love interacting with people on a brief, friendly basis and helping them feel good about having parted with their money for my employer's goods. The lady was in a tragic situation. Your pleasant question, asked in complete innocence, was just one of the infinite things that would bring the poor soul to tears. She needed to cry far more than she needed to "hold it together."  You did nothing wrong, dove.

30 minutes ago, Pukingpearl said:

My husband will purposely buy weird combinations of stuff in an attempt to make the cashier feel awkward. I recently sent him to Walgreens for some miralax for one child and some milk for the other child. He decided to add the worlds largest container of astroglide and rubber gloves to the mix and was sad when the cashier didn't look twice. 

I think it's inappropriate when the cashier comments about the purchases, but I like making the odd comment myself as the customer.  My favorite is when I'm buying just a few items that don't go together, something like, say, cat food and parmesan cheese, and I'll say to the cashier "Do you think this will make an ok supper?" :my_tongue:

2 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I think it's inappropriate when the cashier comments about the purchases, but I like making the odd comment myself as the customer.  My favorite is when I'm buying just a few items that don't go together, something like, say, cat food and parmesan cheese, and I'll say to the cashier "Do you think this will make an ok supper?" :my_tongue:

I always laugh to myself when I see someone buying funny combinations of things, like twelve frozen lasagnas and a 48 pack of toilet paper. 

Interesting. I worked in a convenience store for 2 years, and I saw a lot of interesting combinations. Cough drops, and then ask for cigarettes. Tampons bought by a man.(well, I have since learned to appreciate that; knowing he's being supportive of a wife/girlfriend/daughter) Kids buying more and more candy. And I'll think of more. I never comment on anything for reasons mentioned. I had some trouble with being told by employers not to "air my dirty laundry", so if I was to go back to that, I'd be scared even if someone asks how I am. Thinking on that, could THAT be why fundies want to go back to all-family businesses?

One of my personal bests was at Target. a 4 pack of mini champagne bottles and a shower curtain. Fun times ahead!

I always go to female cashiers when I buy female hygiene products (pads, tampons, ect.). I also choose to younger ones over the older women. I talk about stuff like that so openly online and with my friends, but buying it in a store is awkward. 

17 minutes ago, Gobbles said:

I always go to female cashiers when I buy female hygiene products (pads, tampons, ect.). I also choose to younger ones over the older women. I talk about stuff like that so openly online and with my friends, but buying it in a store is awkward. 

I find it makes teenaged male cashiers very uncomfortable. One guy, kept staring at me like I was about to lose my mind and start screaming at him any minute. It's easier to just deal with female cashiers in that case.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that tries to go to female cashiers when I buy lady products. :pb_lol: Like, I doubt they care, but still. 

10 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I find it makes teenaged male cashiers very uncomfortable. One guy, kept staring at me like I was about to lose my mind and start screaming at him any minute. It's easier to just deal with female cashiers in that case.

I definitely buy feminine products from teenage male cashiers, haha. Maybe I'm mean, but I don't care at all. I figure if they're working at a drug store they can't be that uncomfortable seeing people's purchases. They see people buying condoms, lube, pregnancy tests, fungal cream, yeast infection kits, adult diapers, etc. all day, if they can't deal with seeing a pack of pads in front of them, they've got an issue!

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

I definitely buy feminine products from teenage male cashiers, haha. Maybe I'm mean, but I don't care at all. I figure if they're working at a drug store they can't be that uncomfortable seeing people's purchases. They see people buying condoms, lube, pregnancy tests, fungal cream, yeast infection kits, adult diapers, etc. all day, if they can't deal with seeing a pack of pads in front of them, they've got an issue!

Exactly. They'll likely see it at some point, so they might as well get over it then.

The other day I bought a pregnancy test and tampons.  I was kind of expecting a comment from the cashier but she remained quiet.  

When I was younger my boyfriend came back mortified from buying condoms.  Apparently he bought those and breath mints and the guy goes "I see you have mints for after." and old dude saying that to a young guy is a little creepy.

So I've only brought feminine products a handful of times because my mom is a pharmacist and I would just call her to buy them at work. But the few times I did in college, it's been usually a male cashier but he never made comments.

I work in a small drug store. I don't even bat an eye on things people buy. In fact the "Stop and Go" section gets a lot of play lol I call it stop and go cuz we have stuff to make it stop and stuff to make it finally come out :pb_lol: as I like to say it's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits! We have stuff for that too :pb_lol:

I remember a woman asking me for help finding breast pads her daughter sent her for as I had a baby at the time. She didn't want to ask 'that man at the counter'. I assured her that as 'that man at the counter' was my husband he was very familiar with many pregnancy and post pregnancy products!:happy:

58 minutes ago, Gobbles said:

I always go to female cashiers when I buy female hygiene products (pads, tampons, ect.). I also choose to younger ones over the older women. 

I always go to women also. More then a few times I have let people go in front of me just so I don't get a male cashier when buying female products. 

I remember trying to hide the feminine products in my shopping basket & being embarrassed at checkout. Now I'm older and don't give a d**n. One of the blessings of aging!

33 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I always go to women also. More then a few times I have let people go in front of me just so I don't get a male cashier when buying female products. 

Yes, I'm funny about this too. I tend to just stock up a few times a year, and prefer the self check lane, whenever possible. I typically do self check at any store that offers it.

In high school, my son got a job at a grocery store. One of the "fire-able offenses" was discussing what he saw people buying. He signed a form that said he would not discuss with his friends or family what he saw people buying.

Once, he came home ready to burst. I asked what the deal was, and he said that he saw a classmate of his buying a pregnancy test. I reminded him of his promise at work, and he said he remembered, but he had to tell someone and he thought I was safe...lol.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived