IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy: Life with the Soccer Preacher Man

choralcrusader8613

I agree.

He may actually be worse than some fundies because, he has, presumably, met/ encountered real people of the world, but is CHOOSING to discount and demonize them because they don't fit into his very narrow view.

I don't like him. I don't trust him.

And aside from thinking he's not outright horrible looking, I don't see him as particularly attractive, either.

Ohh, and Jinger Duggar. I'd be stunned, but delighted if she breaks any of the usual molds, but I doubt she has the courage needed to do so.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will admit, that after watching a few of the most recent episodes on TLC I don't dislike Jeremy as much as I thought I would based on conversation here. He comes across as immature, but like he genuinely cares a lot for Jinger. I expected him to be more overtly controlling / game playing, which doesn't mean he isn't... but he appears genuine, the key word being appears.

That said, I agree with you Lizzybet and I wonder what he is up to exactly. He could have returned(?) to Christianity without such a hard 180-turn. One explanation I can think of is he is a narcissist and the TV charm, preacher job and a very young 'meek' wife like Jinger fit that theory. I would feel bad for Jinger in that case, but she is trained to deal with narcissists (ahem, JB) so it may feel ok and normal to her. In that case, perhaps alls well ends well. I do hope they have only a reasonable number of children.

1 hour ago, Lizzybet said:

And aside from thinking he's not outright horrible looking, I don't see him as particularly attractive, either.

I agree. To me he's just okay-looking. But I swear, when I initially saw a picture of him, my very first thought was, "Well, we're going to be in for a lotttttt of talk about how hot he is on FJ." :pb_lol: I know what you guys like!

Not my type at all, but I thought he was hot by fundie standards, definitely compared to duggar boys or the other SILs. But as soon as he opened his mouth on TV it was a turn off. He just sounds programmed lol.

8 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

The only people who drink more than the Irish are the German's, my moms family drinks to celebrate everything, births, deaths, weddings, Tuesdays, anything really.  Funerals are huge drinking events in our family.  

That makes sense. I grew up in Wisconsin in a German family (on both sides).  It's the norm to go out to lunch - often in the hall of a bar or a church - and drink after the funeral. 

10 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

The only people who drink more than the Irish are the German's, my moms family drinks to celebrate everything, births, deaths, weddings, Tuesdays, anything really.  Funerals are huge drinking events in our family.  

I'm Irish and German too. My Irish side don't drink much at all. With the German side, it depends on how religious someone is. My Great-Grandparents and Grandpa were Methodist. They kept liquor in the house for guests, but didn't drink themselves.

My Dad and uncle, on the other hand, made sure they had a fully stocked bar for the reception following their father's funeral - despite both of them being confirmed Methodists and signing some sort of pledge not to drink. :pb_lol:

5 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

Ohh, and Jinger Duggar. I'd be stunned, but delighted if she breaks any of the usual molds, but I doubt she has the courage needed to do so.

She does seem to adopt more of the average modesty rules applied by less extreme fundies/fundie lites such as showing shoulders is ok and wearing skirts/dresses above the knee is ok, too, as long as they are lower than the tip of the middle finger when standing up straight. The only thing missing is wearing jeans or shorts. But in Jinger's case I'm sure that will follow soon enough. Alyssa Bates did the same thing.

I am very sure that any change in her life will be brought about by Jeremy and not Jinger herself, she seems to passive for that. So I think Jeremy actually gave her fashion advice.

I'm basically going to assume that Jeremy's going to be another Derick. Oh, look how cute and charming and worldly he is! He's totally going to broaden her horizons and help her escape her narrow life! Oh...OK, I guess he's going to tweet bizarre shit about Santa Claus and completely not give a shit about his wife's well-being and social needs. OK, that's happening.

If he turns out to be a Ben -- still a bit of a dickhead, but at least caring towards his family and his zany schemes don't actively traumatize his wife -- I'll be pleasantly surprised.

6 hours ago, jqlgoblue said:

That said, I agree with you Lizzybet and I wonder what he is up to exactly. He could have returned(?) to Christianity without such a hard 180-turn. One explanation I can think of is he is a narcissist and the TV charm, preacher job and a very young 'meek' wife like Jinger fit that theory. I would feel bad for Jinger in that case, but she is trained to deal with narcissists (ahem, JB) so it may feel ok and normal to her. In that case, perhaps alls well ends well. I do hope they have only a reasonable number of children.

I think that is the case. He has said before that when he played soccer he felt like it was about the praise and when he realized that he quit. Then he probably moved to Laredo to humble himself. Now being on TLC is less humbling but since he's sharing his ministry it's totally fine.

2 hours ago, faraway said:

He has said before that when he played soccer he felt like it was about the praise and when he realized that he quit.

I could have sworn his contract was dropped.  Nice spin from Jeremy though.

I'd agree that Jeremy appears genuine when talking directly to Jinger, or in normal convo (in the honeymoon episode, asking the boat captain to try to get straight to the destination and trying to distract Jinger from her seasickness). However, in the ministry videos and in the THs, I think he sounds very programmed ans scripted. I think he has an "on" button, and I think he is very intentional with when he pushes that button. But I do think there are glimpses in the show where you can see him act more natural, and I hope that's what their daily life is like.

17 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I'd agree that Jeremy appears genuine when talking directly to Jinger, or in normal convo (in the honeymoon episode, asking the boat captain to try to get straight to the destination and trying to distract Jinger from her seasickness). However, in the ministry videos and in the THs, I think he sounds very programmed ans scripted. I think he has an "on" button, and I think he is very intentional with when he pushes that button. But I do think there are glimpses in the show where you can see him act more natural, and I hope that's what their daily life is like.

Really though, if any of us had to do talking heads recapping something that happened weeks ago I don't think we'd come across as very genuine. It's a TV show-- they obviously plan out what they say beforehand and none of them are professional actors. 

I just don't know how anyone could form any opinion about Jeremy- we just haven't seen much of him.

Isn't it weird how most of us just want these folks to go away and live their lives free of the camera, yet when Jinjer go silent, it leaves many of us concerned if Jinger is ok. I hope she is ok and happy, and that the silence was a joint decision made by both Jin and Jer.

I can see Jinger just wanting to live her life...in a city...wearing fashionable clothing...having a small family...and practicing faith more akin to Jeremy's family.

TL;DR: Jinger has wanted to blow the Duggar popsicle stand for a good, long time.

Ok i know we kind of left the drift of personal items at the store/customs. But i have to share mine. I was going on a sexy vacation and so was bringing some of my vibrator collection. Not wanting to pay for checked bags, I had them in my carry on but completely forgot about them as i took out my laptop, etc for security screening at the Edinburgh airport. This man pulled my bag aside to search and the started pulling out items. Then, he stopped pulling items out and was just rummaging red faced at the bottom of my bag. It was then that i remembered what was still in there. He confirmed that it had been my vibes as he returned my bag to me in that awkward British way. He was definitely more embarrassed than I was. Lol.

On 3/3/2017 at 4:05 PM, Pukingpearl said:

I always laugh to myself when I see someone buying funny combinations of things, like twelve frozen lasagnas and a 48 pack of toilet paper. 

I stood in a queue in Aldi in December behind a man who was buying three things: a stepladder,  a big bottle of vodka and a box of Christmas lights. That looked like an accident waiting to happen!

Without knowing for sure Jeremy does fit a pattern I have seen both with Christians and Muslims who have grown up in conservative or semi-conservative homes and strayed from their parents' way for a while when they were young and then came back. All of them have gone very conservative, sometimes much more than their parents. Then, after a couple of years they have started drifting back and at the most they are as conservative as their parents but mostly they are much less conservative than their parents or close to mainstream. I think it is possible that Jeremy is still in his conservative phase and went for an even more conservative wife as part of that process. It is possible that Jeremy if he is like the people I know will have an awakening and go less and less conservative in a couple of years. Married to Jinger it will probably not be a fast process but little by little. My prediction is that unless they move closer to JB and Michelle that they will be less conservative in 5-10 years than they are now. I really don't see him or Jinger happy in a Duggar situation so I hope that he doesn't go down the route of being more like them.

21 minutes ago, elliha said:

I think it is possible that Jeremy is still in his conservative phase and went for an even more conservative wife as part of that process.

God I hope so. But him being a fundie preacher isn't a good sign. Or maybe he doesn't believe in any if this and is just a complete narcissist and attention whore? I don't think a "true" conservative Christian would be cracking jokes about aphrodisiacs and such. Not even Jim Bob has said anything that explicit. But maybe he's trying to be seen as a "fun" and "cool"  pastor. I think this cult is a magnet for narcissists that want to be a big fish in a small pond. 

1 minute ago, VeganCupcake said:

God I hope so. But him being a fundie preacher isn't a good sign. Or maybe he doesn't believe in any if this and is just a complete narcissist and attention whore? I don't think a "true" conservative Christian would be cracking jokes about aphrodisiacs and such. Not even Jim Bob has said anything that explicit. But maybe he's trying to be seen as a "fun" and "cool"  pastor. I think this cult is a magnet for narcissists that want to be a big fish in a small pond. 

Well one of the people I know was a preacher so that does not rule it out for me. He gladly didn't post stuff on youtube so he could go on and change more easily by just slowing preach about other stuff in a new church. I do think that narcissists are attracted to this movement but Jeremy to me is more vain than narcissist but JB is spot on.

If Jinger wears pants (trousers for our friends across the pond), that would be one small step for a fundie. I don't see any giant leaps for fundiekind with the older Duggars. I have some small hopes for the howlers and lost girls, but I think we're going to have to wait for the grand Duggars to see real change.

1 hour ago, VeganCupcake said:

I don't think a "true" conservative Christian would be cracking jokes about aphrodisiacs and such. 

Plenty of them do, actually. Especially the ones trying to appeal to the younger, hipper crowd and spread their hateful doctrine to a broader audience. Evangelical calvinist / creeptastic misogynist Mark Driscoll is a great example. And I'm pretty sure Jim Bob has made sex jokes at least as bad or worse than 'aphrodisiac'. 

9 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Evangelical calvinist / creeptastic misogynist Mark Driscoll is a great example. And I'm pretty sure Jim Bob has made sex jokes at least as bad or worse than 'aphrodisiac'. 

Great, now I'm thinking about Mark "God commands wives to give blowjobs" Driscoll and Jim Bob "I'm like a tiger" Duggar.

:brainbleach:

1 minute ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Great, now I'm thinking about Mark "God commands wives to give blowjobs" Driscoll and Jim Bob "I'm like a tiger" Duggar.

:brainbleach:

Don't forget Jim Bob's "Hey, hey, hey" and the humping on the mini golf course. :output_eeMbjt:

Just now, Carm_88 said:

Don't forget Jim Bob's "Hey, hey, hey" and the humping on the mini golf course. :output_eeMbjt:

Or Anna being asked (by the producer, I think) how Josh lets her know he's in the mood. For a "Christian" and "family-values-oriented" family, they talk about sex more than I do.

Just now, choralcrusader8613 said:

Or Anna being asked (by the producer, I think) how Josh lets her know he's in the mood. For a "Christian" and "family-values-oriented" family, they talk about sex more than I do.

Or Derick and Jill's not so hidden hints before Jinger's wedding about enjoying the honeymoon. :puke-front:

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

Or Derick and Jill's not so hidden hints before Jinger's wedding about enjoying the honeymoon. :puke-front:

That's a typical Duggar thing, but I'm suddenly glad I can't have cable right now.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived