IGNORED

Bates the 20th

choralcrusader8613

10 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

Do tell.... we are in Australia and only up the Nashley courtship eps. Sigh.

You can watch the clip on the UPTV website. It's basically 1 million people in there and one of the boys says it took them 45 minutes to get the gear for everyone. Like when a school class clutters up the whole space, except there's everything from pre-schoolers to adults.

They should have all worn helmets btw, only the little kids did.

Oh and Campbell looks about 12.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see what "special friends" and courting couples show up at Big Sandy Family Conference in Texas  (April 25-29).

That is too late for spring break, and according to PCC's calendar, classes don't end until May 1. So Bobby shouldn't be ditching classes to go to Big Sandy.

And final exams at Crown College of the Bible begin May 1--so Carlin, Tori and Josie really shouldn't go to Big Sandy either (unless Crown thinks their being filmed for UP is more important than attending class--and Crown very well may think that)..

And if the oldest single girls don't attend Big Sandy, how will Kelli manage her little ones?  I'm sure Brandon and Michael will have to attend, and Michael will be acting Mom.

11 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

Do tell.... we are in Australia and only up the Nashley courtship eps. Sigh.

where are you viewing?!

I wonder if we will get more pictures this time of the family conference. Last year pictures were scarce and the Bates official social media feeds made it look like they were somewhere else. 

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

It will be interesting to see what "special friends" and courting couples show up at Big Sandy Family Conference in Texas  (April 25-29).

That is too late for spring break, and according to PCC's calendar, classes don't end until May 1. So Bobby shouldn't be ditching classes to go to Big Sandy.

And final exams at Crown College of the Bible begin May 1--so Carlin, Tori and Josie really shouldn't go to Big Sandy either (unless Crown thinks their being filmed for UP is more important than attending class--and Crown very well may think that)..

And if the oldest single girls don't attend Big Sandy, how will Kelli manage her little ones?  I'm sure Brandon and Michael will have to attend, and Michael will be acting Mom.

I have seen PCC students and crown students attend family camp in the past. Maybe they are like other colleges, that realize your old enough to realize if you need to attend this class for the final or not! Or they may get special permission from the school because it's religious affiliated.

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I wonder if we will get more pictures this time of the family conference. Last year pictures were scarce and the Bates official social media feeds made it look like they were somewhere else. 

good. that means they aren't advertising the cult to the wider audience.

I am eating my words. I just posted a little while ago about how the Batesssesss had stalled in the marriage department while the Duggars were marrying the kids off one by one. Now we've got what? 2 or 3 possible courtships on the Bates front? Also I agree Tori engagement will likely come shortly after Bobby graduates.

I think T&B will get engaged before he graduates. Non-fundies would probably wait until he has a real job but fundies don't care.

i start to know the Bates around Michaels marriage, and ihave understand that her case was an exception, do the bates courthisp/engagement follow the 3 months path as Duggar or is more flexible for each couple?

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Sounds like Katie will have her hands full. ;)

1 hour ago, Italiangirl said:

i start to know the Bates around Michaels marriage, and ihave understand that her case was an exception, do the bates courthisp/engagement follow the 3 months path as Duggar or is more flexible for each couple?

According to the Bates' blog (I've got nothing better to do it seems):

Erin: courtship December 2012, engagement August 2013, marriage November 2013

Zach: courtship June 2013, engagement September 2013, marriage December 2013

Alyssa: "special friends" February 2013,  courtship November 2013, engagement January 2014, marriage May 2014

Michael: courtship December 2013, engagement February 2015, marriage August 2015

So it seems that the courtship/special friendship varies between the couples, but all except for Michael had basically 3 months of engagement. 

46 minutes ago, IzzyM said:

According to the Bates' blog (I've got nothing better to do it seems):

Erin: courtship December 2012, engagement August 2013, marriage November 2013

Zach: courtship June 2013, engagement September 2013, marriage December 2013

Alyssa: "special friends" February 2013,  courtship November 2013, engagement January 2014, marriage May 2014

Michael: courtship December 2013, engagement February 2015, marriage August 2015

So it seems that the courtship/special friendship varies between the couples, but all except for Michael had basically 3 months of engagement. 

Michael was engaged in April. Brandon timed it so he could propose to her in DC when the cherry trees are in bloom. The engagement happened right after Alyssa gave birth to Allie Jane.

So all of them had engagements around three or four months long.

2 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

We can't know for sure about length of courtship because the Duggars are pretty tight lipped about it. However, from what I remember:

- Josh and Anna courted about two years and were engaged three months.

- Jill and Derick started courting sometime around November of 2013. They were engaged late March 2014 and married that June. So around four months courting and three months engaged. 

- Jessa and Ben's courtship was announced in September 2013 after someone blabbed about it publicly. They were engaged mid-August 2014 and married early that November. Eleven months officially courting and about three months engaged.

- Jinger and Jeremy appear to have begun courting mid to late May of 2016, were engaged late that July, and married in early November. Close to two months courting and just over three months engaged.

- Joy and Austin announced their courtship in November, but may have started courting in October. They got engaged earlier this month. Smart money is betting on June for their wedding. Likely five months courting.

- Joe and Kendra just announced their courtship this month.

- We also have the failed courtship of Josiah and Marjorie. I think that was around three months before it was over.

So while the courtship lengths vary, they do seem to stick with the three month engagement length that the Bates kids have gone by.

(And keep in mind, these are just the lengths that the public knows about. We have no clue when any of the Duggar couples really started getting to know each other - except for maybe Josh and Anna. They seem to have been pretty open about that.)

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Michael was engaged in April. Brandon timed it so he could propose to her in DC when the cherry trees are in bloom. The engagement happened right after Alyssa gave birth to Allie Jane.

So all of them had engagements around three or four months long.

We can't know for sure about length of courtship because the Duggars are pretty tight lipped about it. However, from what I remember:

- Josh and Anna courted about two years and were engaged three months.

- Jill and Derick started courting sometime around November of 2013. They were engaged late March 2014 and married that June. So around four months courting and three months engaged. 

- Jessa and Ben's courtship was announced in September 2013 after someone blabbed about it publicly. They were engaged mid-August 2014 and married early that November. Eleven months officially courting and about three months engaged.

- Jinger and Jeremy appear to have begun courting mid to late May of 2016, were engaged late that July, and married in early November. Close to two months courting and just over three months engaged.

- Joy and Austin announced their courtship in November, but may have started courting in October. They got engaged earlier this month. Smart money is betting on June for their wedding. Likely five months courting.

- Joe and Kendra just announced their courtship this month.

- We also have the failed courtship of Josiah and Marjorie. I think that was around three months before it was over.

So while the courtship lengths vary, they do seem to stick with the three month engagement length that the Bates kids have gone by.

(And keep in mind, these are just the lengths that the public knows about. We have no clue when any of the Duggar couples really started getting to know each other - except for maybe Josh and Anna. They seem to have been pretty open about that.)

I had no clue Josh and Anna courted for two years. You would have thought he would have shown some major signs during then!

39 minutes ago, Fighter said:

I had no clue Josh and Anna courted for two years. You would have thought he would have shown some major signs during then!

I'm pretty sure they courted that long. I believe they met at a conference of some sort in 2006 and they started courting not long after that. From what I've read, Anna wanted to wait for marriage until she was 20. Josh proposed on her 20th birthday (June 2008) and they were married three months later.

I don't find it surprising he showed no signs and that Anna didn't notice anything odd. His "punishment" was likely still fresh in his mind when the courtship began. Not only that, but 2006 is around the time that a second investigation was opened into the molestations. Meaning Josh may have been on his best behavior at that time in order to stay out of trouble and prevent TLC from pulling the plug on the specials (a few had aired at that point.) 

Plus, Anna lived in Florida - so even if there were signs he probably could have hidden them from her well enough. I doubt his family would have really gone out of their way to warn her about anything she didn't know about already. His parents seem to have really wanted him married off because they thought it would help curb his actions... which it did for a bit. Then he discovered Ashley Madison.

http://www.etonline.com/news/165063_josh_duggar_molestation_allegations_a_timeline_of_events/

Actually, per Josh and Anna's "story", they didn't start courting till December 2007.

Josh: After returning back to Arkansas, I started working full time with my business and preparing my heart & finances for whatever the Lord had for me next. Then in December of 2007, Anna’s brother called me and asked if I would be able to help him with an Anger Resolution Seminar in a Florida State Prison. I told him that I would have to pray about it…and I immediately felt God say, ‘YES!’ The next month I found myself again driving the nearly 1,000 mile trip to North Florida.

Anna: I really felt I had given Joshua to the Lord and was content either way about the whole thing until Joshua called – He was on his way!  Time and time again during Joshua’s visit I had to give it to the Lord.  I still did not know if Joshua had any interest, but I knew God was more concerned with bringing the right one into my life more than I could ever be and if it was His will He would bring it to pass.  I didn’t know it would be a lot sooner than I expected!

Josh: After finishing my first week of seminars with Anna’s brother in a Central Florida maximum security State Prison, we returned to the Keller’s home. I could not wait any longer, I knew that the ball was in my court! After dinner and sharing the evening with the family, I asked to talk with Mr. Keller, alone! Everyone else quickly hurried off to bed, and I fumbled to put my thoughts into words… finally I got it out …’I feel like God is leading me into a relationship with your daughter Anna, could I have your permission to court her?’ After asking this, Mr. Keller gave me some encouraging words ending our discussion by saying that he would ‘need a month to pray about it!’ I went to bed, and I guess sleep came sometime that night because I remember waking up. Mr. Keller pulled me aside after breakfast and told me that he had prayed about it. Though he wouldn’t quite say “YES!” he gave me a thumbs up and said, ‘all the lights are green!’

1 hour ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Actually, per Josh and Anna's "story", they didn't start courting till December 2007.

Thanks for the correction! 

So, to amend the count earlier -

Josh and Anna: Courting December 2007. Engaged June 2008. Married September 2008. So they courted six months and were engaged for three.

On 3/21/2017 at 10:47 AM, Kelsey said:

I agree. At first glance, Campbell looks like Whitney. Glad to see Campbell didn't feel the need to wear a skirt over her ski pants. Also, Campbell is really clunky as a first name.

I like longer first names, but they need nicknames. It's funny because I have a short name, but I gave all of my children very long names ha 

I would like to know the secret to organising such big weddings in under 3 months.

Like here, ordering a wedding dress they tell you it has to be done 6-8 months in advance!

Some churches and venues book out a year in advance too!

I mean, I'm actually really all for the idea of a short engagement rather than some year and a half long planning expedition. (But I'm also for dating and knowing someone for several years before getting married!)

2 hours ago, Fighter said:

Remember they're not allowed to be alone together either. In fact Josh and Anna are a perfect example of my biggest problem with their relationship model. People are different alone vs. with other people. People change after they've been together awhile and they're no long trying to impress each other.  I always think back to my first relationship. He seemed so sweet to me for the first few months but it went downhill quickly. Looking back I can now see the he acted and treated me even during the times I thought he was sweet were not right. But at the time it was my first relationship. I didn't know what to look for

19 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

I would like to know the secret to organising such big weddings in under 3 months.

Like here, ordering a wedding dress they tell you it has to be done 6-8 months in advance!

Some churches and venues book out a year in advance too!

I mean, I'm actually really all for the idea of a short engagement rather than some year and a half long planning expedition. (But I'm also for dating and knowing someone for several years before getting married!)

Simple, you have your sister-moms do all the work while you spend time mooning on your phone with your "best friend" (AKA fiance). If you buy a dress off the rack and have one of your sisters add the "modesty panel", you can do it quickly. As far as a venue, they seem to have a network of megachurches that will let them use their space. As far as receptions, gee, I guess the parking lot wasn't busy for Jessa's reception (sorry, that one always annoyed me).

I agree with you about actually knowing the person you are going to marry.

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Simple, you have your sister-moms do all the work while you spend time mooning on your phone with your "best friend" (AKA fiance). If you buy a dress off the rack and have one of your sisters add the "modesty panel", you can do it quickly. As far as a venue, they seem to have a network of megachurches that will let them use their space. As far as receptions, gee, I guess the parking lot wasn't busy for Jessa's reception (sorry, that one always annoyed me).

I agree with you about actually knowing the person you are going to marry.

Having a TV network's $$ and exposure probably helps to expedite things a little bit...

Thank you all for the answer so Tory's engagement to Bobby should be announce easily around next couple of month...and around that period also another courship announce right?

Have the Bates ever attended VF events? When did they become friends of th Roberts who are VF?

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived