1 minute ago, Fighter said:

I'm sorry but what does VF stand for?

Vision Forum.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Vision Forum.

I had another question about vision forum but I found more information during another google search.

Oh gag. The Bateseseseses ski trip was to Massanutten, VA. I lived a few miles from there for many years. It's a nice place. Too bad it was infiltrated by the cult.  Kelly said that Jeb was her youngest, and "just a little bit spoiled." Um, that's the understatement of the century. I think pretty much every Bates family member has said that Jeb gets away with everything.

Oh, and Carlin and Evan have known each other for "like" five years, but have been "getting to know" each other for "a few months". I don't know if the Bateseseses play calendar games like the Duggars, but this looked like it was taped a month or so ago.

Carlin just introduced her "friend" Evan briefly on BUB. She said they met a few months ago at a "ladies banquet" (she clarified that he was serving). She said they like each other and are getting to know each other, but don't have a label yet.

ETA - Apparently I missed the part where she actually said she met his family 5 years ago, but reconnected a few months ago when he served at the banquet.

Good grief, Kelly Jo made Gil get the folks running the ski lift to stop it so she could get off.

Trace and Campbell had a short head shot where she said Trace did great! Then she fell on him in an action shot when he stopped in front of her. 

I dated a (much) older guy my senior year in high school- I thought he was perfect, until I found out he was lying about something fairly major. I broke up with him and he had a full on break with reality a month later. I have MUCH sympathy for mental illness, but that doesn't mean it was my responsibility to take care of him/get him help at 18, kwim? Whenever I see a 16-20yr old dating a guy 6-10 years older, little warning bells start going off... if girls his own age are running the opposite direction, there just might be a reason! 

There are other sides too.

When I was 16? I started hanging out with the college kids I worked with. They didn't ask my age, I didn't offer. One decided to hook me up with her brother - he was 29. He assumed I was about the same age as his sister (22/23) and working on my masters degree.

I liked the free beer and the excitement. So I just mentioned "classes" much the same as they did, and kept the charade going for almost 3 years. (My parents had zero clue. I had an ID that was legit, but not acquired legally, and a whole lot of fun was had.)

I was fairly quiet - and when you're drunk every weekend? There's not always a huge difference between 17 and 23. Not when there's one quiet 17 year old with a DD cup bra ;)

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Oh, and Carlin and Evan have known each other for "like" five years, but have been "getting to know" each other for "a few months". I don't know if the Bateseseses play calendar games like the Duggars, but this looked like it was taped a month or so ago.

This was taped in early January. They facetimed Alyssa who they said was due in a few weeks.  She had the baby 1/26.  It's typical for a show like this to run a few months behind.

Next week I think they'e showing Carlin's wisdom teeth removal which she had a picture of on her Instagram in late December so that's a little out of order.

8 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

This was taped in early January. They facetimed Alyssa who they said was due in a few weeks.  She had the baby 1/26.  It's typical for a show like this to run a few months behind.

Next week I think they'e showing Carlin's wisdom teeth removal which she had a picture of on her Instagram in late December so that's a little out of order.

Thank you, I kind of zoned out for a bit during the episode because I thought they were being so dull.

29 minutes ago, Scribber said:

There are other sides too.

When I was 16? I started hanging out with the college kids I worked with. They didn't ask my age, I didn't offer. One decided to hook me up with her brother - he was 29. He assumed I was about the same age as his sister (22/23) and working on my masters degree.

I liked the free beer and the excitement. So I just mentioned "classes" much the same as they did, and kept the charade going for almost 3 years. (My parents had zero clue. I had an ID that was legit, but not acquired legally, and a whole lot of fun was had.)

I was fairly quiet - and when you're drunk every weekend? There's not always a huge difference between 17 and 23. Not when there's one quiet 17 year old with a DD cup bra ;)

I'd argue that a relationship where one person doesn't know the others real age is probably not really the healthiest long term :P 

I'd argue that a relationship where one person doesn't know the others real age is probably not really the healthiest long term [emoji14] 

No, it most definitely is not. But wasn't entirely his fault.

(20 years later? We're friends - and both happily married to other people [emoji38] )

9 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

No no, just goes to show how good so many FJ members are at sleuthing. The CIA should hire us.

Yep! And I was one of the first to nag everyone about the instagram of their feet over on the, Keeping up With Fundies page.

On 3/22/2017 at 6:19 PM, VelociRapture said:

I'm pretty sure they courted that long. I believe they met at a conference of some sort in 2006 and they started courting not long after that. From what I've read, Anna wanted to wait for marriage until she was 20. Josh proposed on her 20th birthday (June 2008) and they were married three months later.

I don't find it surprising he showed no signs and that Anna didn't notice anything odd. His "punishment" was likely still fresh in his mind when the courtship began. Not only that, but 2006 is around the time that a second investigation was opened into the molestations. Meaning Josh may have been on his best behavior at that time in order to stay out of trouble and prevent TLC from pulling the plug on the specials (a few had aired at that point.) 

Plus, Anna lived in Florida - so even if there were signs he probably could have hidden them from her well enough. I doubt his family would have really gone out of their way to warn her about anything she didn't know about already. His parents seem to have really wanted him married off because they thought it would help curb his actions... which it did for a bit. Then he discovered Ashley Madison.

http://www.etonline.com/news/165063_josh_duggar_molestation_allegations_a_timeline_of_events/

Actually, Josh and Anna started courting in January 2008. They just MET two years prior at Big Sandy. So in reality, not that much different than most fundie courtships.

3 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Good grief, Kelly Jo made Gil get the folks running the ski lift to stop it so she could get off.

Eh, I know the feeling. If I thought they would stop if I asked I would. I am horrible at getting off the chair and am freaked out every single time. I am also not good at getting on either. It's a good thing I rarely go skiing. 

On 23.3.2017 at 3:56 AM, Kangaroo said:

I would like to know the secret to organising such big weddings in under 3 months.

Like here, ordering a wedding dress they tell you it has to be done 6-8 months in advance!

Some churches and venues book out a year in advance too!

I mean, I'm actually really all for the idea of a short engagement rather than some year and a half long planning expedition. (But I'm also for dating and knowing someone for several years before getting married!)

Like others have said, it can certainly be done.

Husband and I were engaged for all of 4 1/2 months (we'd been dating almost six years by the time we got engaged). Now I'll freely admit that planning the wedding in such a short time was pretty stressfull, and I wouldn't have done it if we hadn't been in a bit of a time crunch (he was moving abroad for work for a year shortly after). But we still did it, and it turned out beautifully. Now of course we were planning a wedding with 65 guests, not a thousand, but on the other hand, I was working a full-time job and Mr. O was working a part-time job and writing his Master's thesis. It's not like the Duggars or the Bateses have anything much to do other than wedding plan throughout their engagement.

I actually ordered my wedding dress online. It, amazingly, fit perfectly so I didn't even need to have it altered (just ironed), but I would have had plenty of time (about three months) for it. Obviously, not every single venue was still available, but we had no trouble finding one that we loved. Food was no problem at all (our venue didn't have a full kitchen, so we had the event catered from an outside vendor), nor were flowers/decorations (we made/bought a lot of those ourselves). Finding an affordable photographer at short notice was a bit of an issue, but we found someone who had just started her photography business through a mutual friend (and are very happy with the results). Probably the hardest part was finding a stylist to do my hair. But the problem here was not the length of the engagement/wedding planning phase, but the fact that I needed to be ready by 9 am (so the stylist had to come at 6:30). Yikes!

All in all, definitely doable. Our wedding turned out beautifully, a great time was had by all, and we stayed within our budget too. :)

We planned our wedding in about six weeks and while it wasn't exactly what I wanted, it was perfectly nice. Sit down dinner for about 60 guests at a country club. 

The Duggars were all involved with VF too. There is a crossover between the groups, especially now that VF has collasped and IBLP is trying to be more appealing to the masses.

I wonder what ladies banquet they met at. IBLP holds those sorts of banquets, but it could also be another fundie one. 

3 hours ago, JillyO said:

Like others have said, it can certainly be done.

Husband and I were engaged for all of 4 1/2 months (we'd been dating almost six years by the time we got engaged). Now I'll freely admit that planning the wedding in such a short time was pretty stressfull, and I wouldn't have done it if we hadn't been in a bit of a time crunch (he was moving abroad for work for a year shortly after). But we still did it, and it turned out beautifully. Now of course we were planning a wedding with 65 guests, not a thousand, but on the other hand, I was working a full-time job and Mr. O was working a part-time job and writing his Master's thesis. It's not like the Duggars or the Bateses have anything much to do other than wedding plan throughout their engagement.

I actually ordered my wedding dress online. It, amazingly, fit perfectly so I didn't even need to have it altered (just ironed), but I would have had plenty of time (about three months) for it. Obviously, not every single venue was still available, but we had no trouble finding one that we loved. Food was no problem at all (our venue didn't have a full kitchen, so we had the event catered from an outside vendor), nor were flowers/decorations (we made/bought a lot of those ourselves). Finding an affordable photographer at short notice was a bit of an issue, but we found someone who had just started her photography business through a mutual friend (and are very happy with the results). Probably the hardest part was finding a stylist to do my hair. But the problem here was not the length of the engagement/wedding planning phase, but the fact that I needed to be ready by 9 am (so the stylist had to come at 6:30). Yikes!

All in all, definitely doable. Our wedding turned out beautifully, a great time was had by all, and we stayed within our budget too. :)

This right here is exactly why I only had two Bridesmaids (and one Bridesguy) - I didn't want to get up ridiculously early to get ready. Our wedding ceremony was at 4, so we started getting ready at noon. Hubs and my Bridesguy (my brother) hung out together and dropped lunch off for us while we were getting ready.

I really like to sleep. And eat. And planning that way gave us the chance to have coffee and bagels for breakfast - just the two of us in our kitchen. Nice and relaxing. 

(I mentioned I like food, right? :pb_lol:)

@marmaladeThanks. Someone else pointed out that they started courting later than I stated too. I believe that Josh asked Pa Keller in December 2007 - so I'm assuming now that he just waited a few weeks to ask Anna in-person during another visit or something. 

So, altogether, they probably courted somewhere around six or seven months before getting engaged.

43 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

This right here is exactly why I only had two Bridesmaids (and one Bridesguy) - I didn't want to get up ridiculously early to get ready. Our wedding ceremony was at 4, so we started getting ready at noon. Hubs and my Bridesguy (my brother) hung out together and dropped lunch off for us while we were getting ready.

I really like to sleep. And eat. And planning that way gave us the chance to have coffee and bagels for breakfast - just the two of us in our kitchen. Nice and relaxing. 

(I mentioned I like food, right? :pb_lol:)

Trust me, I would have prefered that too. I like sleeping and eating just as much as the next gal. :pb_lol: Unfortunately, I didn't have to start getting ready at 6:30 because I had a ridiculously large wedding party (nope, just me, my maid of honor and one other close friend were there), but because our ceremony was at 10 am. In Germany, you HAVE to have your legal wedding at the civil registration office (the equivalent to a courthouse wedding), and these ceremonies are always in the morning / very early afternoon. I think the lates times slots are at 1 pm. Those weren't available any more when we registered for our wedding four months before , though. So I guess that's one thing to consider when you're planning on a short engagement... in Germany, anyway. ;)

Luckily, my maid of honor pre-made a delicious french toast casserole the night before the wedding, which we enjoyed with some maple syrup, fresh strawberries and, yes, a Bellini at 7 am. By the time husband and I got home after the reception/party, I'd been awake almost 24 hours. Good times! :)

4 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Trust me, I would have prefered that too. I like sleeping and eating just as much as the next gal. :pb_lol: Unfortunately, I didn't have to start getting ready at 6:30 because I had a ridiculously large wedding party (nope, just me, my maid of honor and one other close friend were there), but because our ceremony was at 10 am. In Germany, you HAVE to have your legal wedding at the civil registration office (the equivalent to a courthouse wedding), and these ceremonies are always in the morning / very early afternoon. I think the lates times slots are at 1 pm. Those weren't available any more when we registered for our wedding four months before , though. So I guess that's one thing to consider when you're planning on a short engagement... in Germany, anyway. ;)

Luckily, my maid of honor pre-made a delicious french toast casserole the night before the wedding, which we enjoyed with some maple syrup, fresh strawberries and, yes, a Bellini at 7 am. By the time husband and I got home after the reception/party, I'd been awake almost 24 hours. Good times! :)

... I'm legit drooling right now... I need this in my life... :pb_lol:

I got to watch the first half this morning.  Funnily enough I was struck by things that all related to skiing.

1) I'm actually impressed all 20ish of them got processed by the rental equipment guys in under 45 mins.  There have been times that it took 30 mins for just myself and one or two others.  Then again, they were given a couple of people to work with just them.  But I'm sure more than one had to change out boot sizes and then there is the actually processing of paperwork and adjusting the bindings.  45 mins is great.  

2) I'm surprised that the mountain didn't split them up into even more lesson groups.  Then again, the lessons were no doubt for free, as were the lift tickets, rentals, etc.  I don't blame them for trying to keep it to 3 instructors being used.  

3) I'm betting the only reason so many friends got to tag along is that they were also comped by the mountain.  20+ people to spend the night, get lift tickets, rentals and lodging?  I don't know what it cost for this mountain but even with a group deal it's easily $300-400/head.  If they had gone to a big resort in CO/Utah/VT you can double that. 

4) This makes me want to ski so badly. I was an avid skier until my son was born.  I haven't gone in 6 yrs and had convinced myself I didn't really miss it, that I was getting too old, etc.  Nope.  I can't wait to plop my kid in ski school next winter and drop the baby at the nursery and hit the hills. 

I watched their facebook live before, because I thought I saw Carlin may introduce her special friend there, and was curious. I noticed a few things from this:

Josie looked a ton like Alyssa, especially with the shorter hair. She was also rocking an above the knee (at least when sitting) dress.

Kelly said that Josie was just in Florida visiting Alyssa. Josie said no, she wasn't, and Kelly remembered she was about to go. This just baffles my mind. 

Tori and Bobby were there. She was all over him- touching his inner leg and knee. Someone in the questions asked if she was engaged, and Gil said no, but she acts like she is and wants it. But he said she has a lot of school to do.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived