IGNORED

President Cheeto 8: Our Long National Nightmare Begins

Destiny

1 hour ago, CrazyLurkerLady said:

If ONE MORE PERSON on Facebook bitches that people are just complaining about what he MIGHT do and he has doesn't anything against them yet and we should just give him a chance, I'M GOING TO LOSE MY SHIT. I don't think it's a coincidence that every single one of these people is a white cis male Trumpster. At this point, all they have to go on is, "Well, he probably won't be THAT horrible. I mean, he hasn't done anything YET." Because apparently constant lying, racism, and sexual assault are not anything in their world.

When people tell me that I should give Trump a chance, I tell them, "I did. I heard what he said during the primaries and general election cycle. That is why I did not vote for him. He had nearly 18 bloody months to show us who he is, and the only thing Trump showed me was he is a mean man with a huge ego." 

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bethella said:

@Terrie @HarryPotterFan https://disabilitymarch.com/ allows you to participate online.

I was able to stop at the local march for a few minutes on my way to work. For a small town in a state that went red, we had an estimated 1000 people.

Thanks. Just booked marked it. 

5 minutes ago, Mecca said:

When people tell me that I should give Trump a chance, I tell them, "I did. I heard what he said during the primaries and general election cycle. That is why I did not vote for him. He had nearly 18 bloody months to show us who he is, and the only thing Trump showed me was he is a mean man with a huge ego." 

Yea, we should just give fascism a chance. Why should we give him a chance to do the horrible things he says he is going to do?

47 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

I saw a lot of great signs today but this one, from a friend of a friend, marching in LA, might be my favorite

fallopians.jpg

"And if thou art a Trump supporter, thou can go and fornicate thyself in the name of thy Lord Jesus Christ.  As well is in the name of the Dark Lord Satan.  47of74 1:1"

10 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

@GreyhoundFan, you always come up with wonderful articles.  Thank you!

Thank you for reading -- I love that here on  FJ, people like to read intelligent reports. Too many people I know IRL just don't care enough, or tell me to just keep it to myself. Well, I'm not so good with that...

8 hours ago, AlwaysExcited said:

It was not the worst outfit, though. 

kellyannenut.jpg

That nutcracker looks way, way more lifelike than Kellyanne.

3 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

:my_heart: Will do. And now that I have a good job I plan on donating to planned parenthood, ACLU, etc

Yes, that's what I've been doing. I couldn't physically handle the march, so I donated to a few causes. Also, I've already made my list of calls to make this coming week. I have been calling my Representative's and Senators' offices frequently since the election. I've also signed up for each person's telephone town halls. I figure I need to make my voice heard. I'm lucky that my reps are all proudly Democrat, but I want them to know the priorities of the people they represent AND that we're watching.

1 hour ago, CrazyLurkerLady said:

I was just watching that. Did you notice that he literally never looks at his wife? He kept looking out at everybody and waving and preening like a peacock.

He has to make sure everyone is watching him. Ms QVC is just a prop. It is sad to go from the Obamas, who obviously love and respect each other, to a caricature and his catatonic arm candy.

1 hour ago, ShepherdontheRock said:

Y'all. I was in DC today. It was lit af. So overcrowded that basically there ended up being no "march" and people just took things into their own hands. We were lucky enough to manage to get an Uber a good amount of the way there when it looked impossible to get on the metro.

I was on Independence Avenue for the rally bit. Unfortunately there were some Westboro-style assholes trolling with signs/a megaphone. They thankfully ended up getting drowned out by people chanting "Love Trumps Hate" and "Black Lives Matter" etc. 

Kamala Harris, Tammy Duckworth, etc were fabulous but who really took the prize was Sophie Cruz. Homegirl is only 6 and she's already the best speech giver out there. 

We left Independence Avenue and managed to squeeze onto the mall at around 2 o'clock, and it was still lit. Basically there wasn't an official march bc too many people showed up, so people were taking it into their own hands. We managed to take a break in this locally owned cafe supporting the march, then went down Pennsylvania Avenue towards Trump Hotel, where it was even better. 

So many great signs too, wish I could remember them all. 

The best part was the most violent thing I observed were cussing and middle fingers. Everyone was really pleasant and nice, despite the fact that we were resisting and banding together over our anger. 

I was also in DC, on Independence Ave near the National Museum of the American Indian. It was PACKED. Like, I couldn't really move my arms at times packed. We were told we'd be marching on Constitution, but most people ended up over on Pennsylvania (we couldn't get really close to the White House, though). I didn't see any confrontations with police, and people were quick to move for ambulances as needed. I'll try and post a few pictures tomorrow once I get them off my phone.

It was loud, chaotic, and at times overwhelming. My back, legs, and feet are incredibly sore. My Metro train broke down on the way out of the city (of course). I am exhausted. But even more than all of that, my heart is full and happy with the knowledge that this movement has so much support from around the world. 

Nice recap of the marches across the globe: "Women’s marches: More than one million protesters vow to resist President Trump". I won't quote the whole article, but this part about the DC march is interesting:

Demonstrators came to Washington from around the country, sometimes sleeping on the couches of people they had never met. As of 4 p.m. Saturday, Metro had recorded more than 597,000 trips, a weekend ridership record. By comparison, as of 4 p.m. on Inauguration Day, there were 368,000 trips. The city issued about 1,800 bus parking permits for the march, and Amtrak added extra trains in and out of Union Station.

And, part of the new order: "Trump wages war against the media as demonstrators protest his presidency". Again, I won't quote the whole article, but this is so freaking Cheeto:

Trump claimed that the crowd for his swearing-in stretched down the Mall to the Washington Monument. It did not. Trump accused television networks of showing “an empty field” and reporting that he drew just 250,000 people to witness Friday’s ceremony.

“It looked like a million, a million and a half people,” Trump said. “It’s a lie. We caught [the media]. We caught them in a beauty.”

No, honey, you are the liar. You must have been looking in the mirror, as usual.

Finally, because he's so fabulous, check out some of George Takei's tweets. One of my favorite:

george_takei_drump_spelling.JPG

This is what our train looked like this morning going to the march. I wish I took a picture yesterday morning going into the city. There were seven people on the train. Yes. Seven. I guess I need to send this picture to Cheeto as well to remind him of what a liar he is. 

IMG_1171.JPG

I am really proud of my FJ cohorts for marching where they could :)  Those of us who could not were with you in spirit!

Gotta love it, more plagiarism from the Cheeto camp: "Trump’s inaugural cake was commissioned to look exactly like Obama’s, baker says"

Spoiler

Amid the glitz of President Trump’s inaugural festivities, one item stood out in particular late Friday night: a spectacular nine-tier cake that the new president and Vice President Pence cut into with a sword.

To pastry chef Duff Goldman, the cake seemed a little too familiar — because it looked almost exactly like one he had made years earlier for Barack Obama’s second inauguration as president.

Just after midnight, the Food Network personality posted a side-by-side comparison of two cakes on his Twitter account.

On the left, Goldman wrote in the caption, was the cake he had created for the “Commander-in-Chief” inaugural ball in 2013. The one on the right was the cake that had just appeared at Trump’s “Salute to Our Armed Services” ball.

It appeared nearly identical to Goldman’s cake from four years ago, right down to the colors, the patriotic bunting, and the placement of several small silver stars and seals.

“I didn’t make it,” Goldman wrote about Trump’s cake, adding a suspicious thinking-face emoji at the end.

Neither Goldman nor representatives from Trump’s transition and inauguration teams responded to requests for comment Saturday morning, but Tiffany MacIsaac, owner of Washington’s Buttercream Bakeshop, stepped forward to say she had been the one to create the much-talked-about cake.

She said that the order came in while she was out of town, and that the client had brought in a photo of the cake from Obama’s inauguration asking her to re-create it.

“They came to us a couple of weeks ago, which is pretty last minute, and said ‘We have a photo that we would like to replicate,’ ” MacIsaac told The Washington Post by phone. Her bakery tried to encourage the client to use the photo as “inspiration,” as they do with many others, she said.

“They said, ‘Nope, they want this exact cake. It’s perfect.’ And we said, great,” MacIsaac said. Neither she nor her spokeswoman revealed who placed the order. The “Salute to Our Troops” ball was one of three official presidential inaugural balls held Friday and open by invitation only to members of the military, veterans, first responders and their families.

MacIsaac did not want to state her political affiliation, but said her bakery began planning how it would donate its proceeds from the Trump inaugural cake to charity. The baker and her staff chose the Human Rights Campaign, a nonprofit group that advocates for equal treatment of the LGBT community — and that has declared Trump “unfit for the presidency.”

“I’m a small-business owner and one of the things I’m very, very proud about is that I don’t discriminate,” MacIsaac said. “I would never turn someone away based on their age, their sex, their sexual orientation, their political views. It’s just not the way we operate.”

MacIsaac said the attention caught her by surprise partly because, per the order, the Trump cake was intended to be more of a prop: All but a three-inch slice at the bottom was inedible.

“It’s just a Stryofoam cake. It’s not for eating,” she said. “I wasn’t expecting it to be seen on TV.”

As is customary with many of her creations, MacIsaac posted a photo of the re-created cake on Instagram the day after the event. By then, Goldman’s tweet — and controversy over the cake — had found its way to her.

“Obviously, my intention was definitely not to upset him in any way,” MacIsaac said of Goldman, whom she does not know personally. “I just wish that it had not been presented the way that it was.”

Goldman, who founded Charm City Cakes in Baltimore and Los Angeles, is known for his showstopping cake creations. From 2006 to 2011, the Food Network reality show “Ace of Cakes” followed Goldman as he ran his bakery and pulled out all the stops to construct elaborate cakes. These days, the celebrity pastry chef is better known to pint-size bakers as “Chef Duff” as one of the judges on the network’s “Kids Baking Championship.”

Later Saturday, Goldman posted to Twitter again, with an apparent change of heart.

“Remembering a fantastic cake I made is awesome and the chef that re-created it for @POTUS Trump did a fantastic job,” he tweeted. “Group hug, y’all.”

In 2013, Goldman told The Post’s Tim Carman he wanted Obama’s inaugural cake to be perfect.

“When you’re doing a cake like this, you know that everybody is going to be looking at it,” Goldman said. “It’s a lot of pressure. The more recognition you get for something that you do, the greater the pressure becomes, because more people are looking for a mistake. So you really gotta make sure your work is top-notch.”

Goldman described his cake for Obama to The Post in great detail then: The 5-foot-tall, 50-pound cake was meant to pay special homage to the nation’s armed forces, with seals of the five branches military. The different tiers would each be of different flavors, from red velvet to pumpkin-chocolate chip.

Though he expressed some anxiety about pulling off the cake in 2013, Goldman ultimately delivered on his vision.

“It was our honor to create this cake for last night’s Commander-in-Chief Ball — an experience we will never forget,” the Charm City Cakes Facebook page noted with a picture of the cake the day after Obama’s 2013 inauguration. (For the record, Obama has said he is more of a pie person.)

Allegations of plagiarism are not new in Trump’s nascent administration. During his transition, Trump aide Monica Crowley said she would not take a national security communications post after charges she had plagiarized several passages in her 2012 book.

And the president’s spouse, Melania Trump, was accused of lifting a portion of her speech at the 2016 Republican National Convention from one Michelle Obama gave at the 2008 Democratic National Convention.

And shortly after Donald Trump gave his inaugural address on Friday, some thought that a small part of his speech sounded quite similar to words uttered by the Batman villain Bane in “The Dark Knight Rises.”

It was not even the first time a celebratory cake for Trump had made headlines. On Election Day, a large bust of his head — in cake form — was carted into Trump Tower for his victory party. The jarring image set Twitter afire.

Too bad Agent Orange didn't plagiarize Obama's class and concern for the 99%. If you get a chance, take a look at the article, they have a picture of the completely creepy cake that is made into a bust of Cheeto's head. Be forewarned, it will cause nightmares.

I went to the march in NYC. A lot of friends I know made the trip to DC, but I decided to show my support here. Like several of you, I have some limitations on what I can do. I'm glad I stayed, because I was able to sleep in, go on my own time in only medium-crowded trains, and follow the march from the edges. I got overwhelmed and anxious at the beginning when I realized how big the crowd really was, but it helped a lot that I knew I could escape if necessary. And that I'm very familiar with the city and could have gotten home easily. We joined the march itself for a few blocks, but I never could have done the whole route with how slow everyone was walking and how crowded it was.

My point is that you should always know your limits and just do what you can. I can say I was one of the 500,000+ people marching in NYC. @Mecca, I'm so glad you were able to make it to the march in DC, and that you were able to get out when you needed to. And for others who chose not to march or weren't able to, the work that we all do moving forward matters too, perhaps more. There is always a way to help.

Today was very healing for me. I hope this supportive energy lasts, and that we are all able to harness it into further action.

IMG_2881.JPG

Great job y'all! There is hope!
...altough Cheetos reaction to all this scares me. War with the media? People, I'm pretty sure he will do everything to limit free speech in the next few years [emoji20]

Please forgive me if this has been posted before, this thread just moves too fast to keep up with. I saw this today on Facebook. 

This is the most childish insane ranting I have ever seen in support of Trump. It basically boils down to, "You made us feel bad for being dicks to people and treated people we thought should be inferior as equals, so if we elected someone who is a dick to everybody and gets those inferior people back in their proper place, well that's just your fault then!" Seriously, how hard can I roll my eyes?

This was posted by a friend of mine whom I love dearly but who is woefully ignorant when it comes to any kind of social justice issues. I told him about going to the march yesterday and then spent an hour trying to explain to him the purpose of protest. He kept saying things like, "So what are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to get an apology from the president? What exactly do you think you can make happen?" By the end of it, he was still completely clueless as to why anybody ever protests since it doesn't accomplish anything concrete like passing a law at the end of the day, so I gave up.

67w2dn99szay.png

Thank you to all who marched in the US yesterday. 

Thank you to everyone in other countries who marched in support of us here. It's so good to know we're not alone.

:my_heart:

My aunt, who voted for Trump, has been largely silent on FB about what's been happening. However, this morning, she posted a bit about "Whoever you voted for, you live in the greatest country in the world and should be grateful. Be kind, blah, blah, blah." I had to shut the browser window to avoid responding "Trump doesn't think we're the greatest. His entire campaign was about how we're no longer great."

She lives in a bubble of white privilege. She's not malicious, but frankly, is not a critical thinker and has no ability to grasp concepts she has not directly experienced. She's a republican sheep. I'm resigned to fact that she's bought into the lies wholesale, but I still cringe every time she tries to justify it.

Some thoughts since I'm up early.  Trump is at war with the press -- well, at war with anyone who doesn't glorify him.  This will continue to be a Twitter presidency; Trump has said he will bypass mainstream media and take his message directly to "the people", thus spinning and controlling the narrative and turning truth on it's head.  This is a brilliant piece of political theater -- Twitter as agitprop, and then I'm thinking, well of course, Steve Bannon, now chief strategist at the White House, which is now, by the way,  the White House/Brietbart News. Trump's ego demands an attendance of a million at his inauguration?  Then we'll all pretend that there were one million people at his inauguration, because the evil media is lying.  How cynical do you have to be to do this?

And @CrazyLurkerLady, Brendan O'Neille is a straight-up product of Breitbart News. 

This will not be getting better, and I'm wondering exactly how low Trump's ratings will go before this is all over.  I honestly think it could fall into the 20s. 

The comparison between Trump's and Obama's inauguration. Guess which is whose.

rps20170122_132600.jpg

19 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

There's been a lot of positive feedback on my facebook page for the women's department today, then there was one (now former) friend who said that she's not marching because she'd rather be a proverbs 31 woman.

What is it with women thinking they need to be 2nd class citizens for men? I don't get it. :angry-banghead:

My friend that I was with at the march was checking out her Facebook last night. A co-worker of her's went on an epic rant about not wanting to be equal, and she is raising her young daughter to understand she is not equal to her brother. She then went on to say she likes wearing makeup and wearing dresses and jewelry and carrying purses. The hell? What does that have anything to do with equality? I like to wear dresses, makeup and have enough handbags to open up a small store. I also like equality. It is not either or. What she also fails to understand is we were marching for everyone as well as issues such as healthcare and immigration. 

Yo, I saw someone else's rant on my FB feed. Apparently marchers were "narcissistic" for wanting to have the march the day after the Inauguration, and the reason Inauguration turnout sucked was because protesters booked all the hotel rooms.

They ended up talking about the anti-abortion march that happens every year next week, and how conservatism will "always have the moral high ground."

Lol, bye.

Edit: Apparently another reason people didn't come to the Inauguration was that people were scared of "violent" protestors and apparently this is "exclusively a tactic of the Left." ?????

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:45 AM, laPapessaGiovanna said:

The world is with you... Trump must be the bottom of the barrel after which America as a whole will come back to its senses and embrace the respect for the dignity and the rights of women, children, minorities, lgbtq people, the disabled and the elders, value education, respect for the environment and attention to a clever use and distribution of resources.

Thank you for this post.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:46 AM, 47of74 said:

Go get him, Rep. Raskin!

dailykos.com/story/2017/1/19/1622436/-MD-08-Freshman-congressman-with-guts-is-ready-to-file-articles-of-impeachment-against-Trump

Yeah I realize impeachment wouldn't fly until the GOP turns on the Toxic Orange Megacolon and Giant Tapeworm.  But it's good to see someone doing something to stand up to the shit head.

It's too soon (I don't mean my personal opinion - I mean in it being taken seriously). Not good at this time.

3 hours ago, Terrie said:

... She's not malicious, but frankly, is not a critical thinker and has no ability to grasp concepts she has not directly experienced. She's a republican sheep. I'm resigned to fact that she's bought into the lies wholesale, but I still cringe every time she tries to justify it.

My FB feed (and my "friends" list is actually quite small, but much of it is extended family/ relatives) is full of this. :-(

Anyone catch the interview with Kellyanne today on "Meet The Press?" Wow. She told journalists to watch out and said Spicer is allowed to give alternative facts. The crap? Alternative facts are lies, ya nutter.

Wake the fuck up Trump supporters! Look at what he is doing to the First Amendment. Trump is targeting Muslims, unhappy with citizens assembling, and threatening the press and giving out alternative facts. Sorry, but you cannot call yourself a Constitutional Conservative is you think this is OK. It is not OK.

Yep. Making phone calls tomorrow and sending out more letters. 

Check out the hashtag #alternativefacts currently trending on Twitter, guys!

Just about the funniest thing I've read since the start of this whole election debacle :my_biggrin::my_biggrin::my_biggrin:

I can't help but notice that my cousins and mother, who were so excited and gleeful in November, were silent on Inauguration day. Buyers' remorse already...?

I don't understand the "give him a chance" people. He's been in the news/tabloids since, what, the 1970s? 1980s? What makes them think he's changed and cares about the American people? The time to show his care and concern was before running for the highest elected office -- it would be a lot easier to take him seriously now, at least. As it is, all I heard from him was a lot of faux-anger and bluster, and no real policies. Just talk about how he would make things better. By magic, apparently.

So far, he's overturned the FHA mortgage cut, and signed an executive order against the ACA. I'm not looking forward to what else he'll do.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived