IGNORED

President Cheeto 8: Our Long National Nightmare Begins

Destiny

Go get him, Rep. Raskin!

dailykos.com/story/2017/1/19/1622436/-MD-08-Freshman-congressman-with-guts-is-ready-to-file-articles-of-impeachment-against-Trump

If Congressman Jamie Raskin hadn’t already established himself as a freshman to watch, he definitely did when word got out about one bill that he thinks he will introduce very soon—articles of impeachment against soon-to-be President Trump.

Raskin says that he already has grounds for impeachment—the fact that Trump hasn’t even begun to unwind “tens or hundreds of millions of dollars” worth of foreign business interests. He has come to the same conclusion as a number of ethics experts and constitutional law experts from both parties—it would be a flagrant violation of the Emoluments Clause, which bars federal officials from taking gifts from foreign governments.

As we all know, Trump refuses to understand that simply turning over control of his business empire isn’t enough. He has to divest it altogether. Since there’s no chance he’s going to do so, Raskin thinks that “the moment the first conflict comes up, that’s going to look like an impeachable offense.” The odds are pretty good that conflict won’t be long in coming.

Raskin knows what he’s talking about. He’s a constitutional scholar himself; he teaches constitutional law at American University, across the Potomac from his district.

Yeah I realize impeachment wouldn't fly until the GOP turns on the Toxic Orange Megacolon and Giant Tapeworm.  But it's good to see someone doing something to stand up to the shit head.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Palimpsest, thank you for the advice of vaseline on the face and carrying a damp wash cloth in a ziploc bag-I just gave your advice to DD(after she stopped yelling at me-see venting thread).

What a day. I also cannot sleep. So much of this just screams parody alter ate universe.

Hope this hasn't been posted yet. This made my mom cry:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/01/20/trump-s-whitehouse-gov-disappears-civil-rights-climate-change-lgbt-rights.html?via=twitter_page

And, because short of attending my local sister women's March tomorrow, there was one thing I did today...

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/immediately-release-donald-trumps-full-tax-returns-all-information-needed-verify-emoluments-clause-compliance

I *HATE* that my unborn baby will be born under Dictator Drumph. Also, not sure who started the *Putinflufer* but that is just the effing best!

The problem with dressing as an homage to Jackie O isn’t that other First Ladies like Michelle Obama did it first and perhaps better. The problem is that Jackie O cared deeply about the responsibilities of being First Lady. Jackie O understood the value of art and history rather than shutting down the NEA.

Full article here: http://www.politicususa.com/2017/01/20/melania-trump-jackie-o-jackie-cared-responsibilities-lady.html

I am tired of everyone going on and on about how she looks like Jackie O. Jackie O has always been someone I admired, for her grace, intelligence, wit and education. I am sorry, but just because you dressed all matchy-matchy does not make you Jackie O. She took her job as first lady seriously, all while being a wife and a mom to two small children. She did all that and then some in her role as first lady. / rant

13 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I certainly agree in principle but not all of Trump's supporters or his opponents are violent, ugly and hating.  Remember some opponents are trying to have non-violent protests right now and that is their right.  Certainly not every protester is rioting.

Latest reports are they have been using stun grenades and tear gas in Washington to break up crowds of protesters and 95 arrests have been made so far.  Things can get out of hand very fast.

Please hope that any rioting ends soon and that everyone stays as safe as possible..

My comment was about small minority of anti-Trump movement. They may not be great in numbers, but they can poison a lot. 

Of course, non-violent protests are necessary and great. I hope everyone marching today have a good time and stay safe. And careful. 
I'm also afraid about Trump's reaction. One word, and it won't be only a tear gas anymore.

The world is with you, this is a rally of protest in Melbournerps20170121_102823.jpg

Anyway according to the prophecy of Matt Groening after the Trump presidency there will be a Lisa Simpson presidency to bring back some sense and justice. Trump must be the bottom of the barrel after which America as a whole will come back to its senses and embrace the respect for the dignity and the rights of women, children, minorities, lgbtq people, the disabled and the elders, value education, respect for the environment and attention to a clever use and distribution of resources.

51 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Anyway according to the prophecy of Matt Groening after the Trump presidency there will be a Lisa Simpson presidency to bring back some sense and justice. Trump must be the bottom of the barrel after which America as a whole will come back to its senses and embrace the respect for the dignity and the rights of women, children, minorities, lgbtq people, the disabled and the elders, value education, respect for the environment and attention to a clever use and distribution of resources.

I truly hope for this. However, I am not holding my breath. 

Ah yes, dumptruck the Pussy Grabber, the Perfect Family Values man and Godly president. Can totally see him sitting with the Duggars in the SOTDRT, where he might actually listen to a fucking per-pen-dic-u-lar briefing with first lady Ivanka (oh and also Melania...), after a 5 minute cowbell hymn from Jill-o and some "please don't send us to hell" circle prayers for allowing a pig into their holy tinker toy house. Maybe they'll get him a crown to go with his golden sharpie crayons he'll require, since he IS their new Plexus God king endorsed by Jesus himself! I mean... the president, or something. (Just kidding. We have no president. It's too bad that's actually not funny...)  

This must make total sense to the little Duggars and Rodriguii children & other fundy victims. TOTAL sense. :pb_rollseyes: Great job, "family values" America! Round of fucking applause! Really taught those kids some values here, huh?? Who cares if he's a "grab em by the pussy," 12-women-have-come-forward-about-me rapist? Just elect the abusive con artist bully who will give you half-assed "pro-life" soundbites and ~stick it to the Dems~ with catchy asshole phrases (because OMG OBAMA THE BLACK PRESIDENT, HILLARY THE PRO CHOICE WOMAN?!11)!!! Morons... they make me want there to be a Hell, just so they can go to it. 

8 hours ago, CrazyLurkerLady said:

First time posting in the political forum. I was planning on going to a women's march tomorrow, but my 5yo asked to come home from her grandma's and I don't know if it's a good idea to take her. My ex husband and his wife are going with their four (including my 12yo son) but when I hear about things like pepper spray and water cannons I get REALLY nervous (guess that whole free speech thing only counts if you agree with the government, huh?). The protest is in a medium-sized Midwestern city. As far as I know, there has never been any action against protesters here before, but I haven't been to a protest since I picketed Scientology centers with Anonymous years ago, so I really don't know know what to expect. Anybody have any thoughts?

OK.  I think and hope that the vast majority of women's marches today will be fine.  Although we are now up to 200+ arrests in Washington it looks like the vandalism was limited to one group.  I would still be a bit tense though. If you go, keep very alert and stay or get far away from any signs of trouble. 

I'll be very honest though - I don't think I'd take a 5 year old on this particular march.  Others may not agree with me, and you know the maturity level of your child.  Five is old enough to pick up on anxiety (and I think people will be anxious after yesterday) but too young to understand exactly why you are marching.  Your 12 year old should be fine, especially if he is interested in politics, but I'd use your judgement and talk to ex if you are worried.   I hope that helps.

On another note, some news coverage seems to be labeling all protests, however peaceful, as "riots." FFS.

1 hour ago, mizandry said:

Maybe they'll get him a crown to go with his golden sharpie crayons he'll require, since he IS their new Plexus God king endorsed by Jesus himself!

I feel similar anger and exasperation.  This is what we have to expect from the "God is my Easy Button" group that got Trump (who stands in for God) elected.   I'm glad I found FJ to give me ideas on how to take action in the next four years.  And I'll be interested to see how the Trump enthusiasts spin it when they realize those are horns emerging from his hairline.

:angry-devil:

On Melania's dress, I thought this was quite funny. It had the caption "Let the hunger games begin!"

let the hunger games begin.jpg

Although, she could also be entering the Triwizard tournament.... :crying-pink:

triwizard.jpg

@fraurosena, awesome find!  M. did go full slink strapless thigh slit for the inaugural ball, though. 

I've been thinking about Melania lately, and based on my limited interactions with women from Eastern European countries, some tend to be, let's say, much more reserved in how they present themselves to the world; there's not a lot of gratuitous smiling going on.  

Other than a few things said early on in the campaign (like Melania moments from SNL), she has been strictly OFF LIMITS to an amazing extent, both in commentary and from the press.  I think she'll stay low key to no key as things go on and never engage with being a First Lady, although she's said her signature topic will be bullying.   The irony of this is simply beyond rich, considering that bullying is the outstanding characteristic of her husband. 

Brave new world or what?

9 hours ago, CrazyLurkerLady said:

First time posting in the political forum. I was planning on going to a women's march tomorrow, but my 5yo asked to come home from her grandma's and I don't know if it's a good idea to take her. My ex husband and his wife are going with their four (including my 12yo son) but when I hear about things like pepper spray and water cannons I get REALLY nervous (guess that whole free speech thing only counts if you agree with the government, huh?). The protest is in a medium-sized Midwestern city. As far as I know, there has never been any action against protesters here before, but I haven't been to a protest since I picketed Scientology centers with Anonymous years ago, so I really don't know know what to expect. Anybody have any thoughts?

I'm taking my 6 year old and 2 year old to the rally in my state.  It's important for my kids (especially the 6 year old) to know that he isn't helpless when he sees injustice.  There are things he can do.  He also needs to know that what Trump and the GOP has planned is wrong.  He is this country's future.  He needs to be involved.

My 5yo has apparently changed her mind and decided to stay at Grandma's, so it looks like it's just me after all. I'm very pleased that my 12yo wants to go (he's wearing his No Hate shirt) because he is at an age where standing up to bullies and the rights of others are starting to hit home. He's a very timid kid and I hope this will help him understand that there is always something he can do to make things better. He is also totally aghast that Trump won and wants to be able to speak out against him.

The crowds in DC are crazy big. The parking lots at multiple Metro stations are completely full. The latest guesstimate is almost 500K people -- the permit is only for 250K. It's a sea of people. If you are in the DC area, Newschannel 8 is broadcasting from the rally. Live updates on WTOP.

@CrazyLurkerLadyI think it depends. I live in Connecticut. From what I've seen in the news here, our protests about stuff like this don't often turn violent. If my daughter were older (she's a newborn) then I'd consider attending with her - but I don't feel comfortable bringing her when she's this tiny.

Your daughter is on the young side. However, if she's already aware of what's happening politically it could be a good idea to bring her and expose her to the idea of peacefully protesting - only if you feel it's safe though. If the March would be in a politically tumultuous area or you're concerned at all then you may want to stay home and see about watching coverage instead.

Spoiler

IMG_6511.JPG

My little love bug yesterday. She struck the pose and I thought it was too funny not to caption. She gonna break the Patriarchy one day. :) 

I so wish I was at the march in DC. It's a sea of people I've snipped some photos from the local media. The speeches thus far have been good.

womensmarch1.JPG

womensmarch2.JPG

womensmarch4.JPG

womensmarch6.JPG

womensmarch5.JPG

Hey, my friends. I am here. OH. MY. GAWD. I CANNOT BEGIN TO TELL YOU HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE HERE. I am stuck in a little corner trying not to have an anxiety attack due to the massive amount of people that are here. Wish me luck. 

I will check in when I can with pictures when the network will allow it. 

12 minutes ago, Mecca said:

Hey, my friends. I am here. OH. MY. GAWD. I CANNOT BEGIN TO TELL YOU HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE HERE. I am stuck in a little corner trying not to have an anxiety attack due to the massive amount of people that are here. Wish me luck. 

I will check in when I can with pictures when the network will allow it. 

Be safe! It looks like massive amounts of people have shown up.

Trump said that the power was going back to the people, he might have been right. Except it isn't the people he was expecting. Looks like a rebellion has started, and unlike the one our resident troll kept talking about, this one is built on reality instead of false hope. 

ARGH: "White House website touts Melania Trump’s modeling and jewelry line"

Visitors to the newly revamped White House website get more than a simple rundown of first lady Melania Trump’s charitable works and interests — they also get a list of her magazine cover appearances and details on her jewelry line at QVC.

Her biography starts with traditional details, such as her date of birth in her native country of Slovenia and information about her background as a model. That’s when the brief backgrounder takes a promotional turn. The website includes a lengthy list of brands that hired her as a model and several of the magazines in which she appeared, including the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.

It is not uncommon for the White House to note the accomplishments of the first lady in her official biography, but Trump’s decision to include a detailed list of her media appearances and branded retail goods is unusual.

Early on Friday, the website listed the brand names of Trump’s jewelry lines sold on QVC. But the website was updated after the publication of this story to remove any mention of QVC.

The original passage read: “Melania is also a successful entrepreneur. In April 2010, Melania Trump launched her own jewelry collection, ‘Melania™ Timepieces & Jewelry,’ on QVC,” the site read.

The updated version of the site now says: “Melania is also a successful entrepreneur. In April 2010, Melania Trump launched her own jewelry collection.”

The televised sales company does not currently sell Trump’s jewelry, according to a statement from a QVC spokeswoman.

“At QVC, we pride ourselves on curating an ever-changing mix of products from thousands of brands for our customers to discover,” a spokeswoman said in an email. “As part of this, QVC has offered items from Melania Trump’s brand. At this time, QVC does not have an active relationship with the brand.”

The changes come at a time when questions have been raised by critics about the ethical implications of the family’s business entanglements. A spokesperson for the First Lady said the reference to her jewelry line was intended as a factual statement, not an endorsement and the website was updated out of an abundance of caution.

President Trump has been criticized for failing to fully sever ties with his famous business empire. He announced this month that he would turn over control of his businesses to his two adult sons, but critics say he has not gone far enough. The watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington tweeted Friday that Trump is in violation of the emoluments clause in the Constitution, which bars elected officials from profiting from the office they hold.

The site also touches on the previously controversial subject of Melania Trump’s university background.

“She would pursue a degree at the University of Ljubljana in Slovenia, but pause her studies to advance her modeling career in Milan and Paris before moving to New York in 1996,” the site reads.

Melania Trump’s college education was a sensitive point during the campaign. A biography of Trump distributed in a program at the Republican National Convention, which mimicked her biography posted on the Trump Organization, had indicated she had begun modeling “after obtaining a degree in design and architecture at university in Slovenia.” Reporters then learned that she had attended the university but did not graduate, prompting the Trump Organization to remove her biography from the company website altogether.

So, we go from a website of policies to help our citizens to shilling Melania's stuff. Just lovely.

Michael Moore and Ashley Judd just spoke at the DC march. Interesting content.

13 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I said on my Facebook that I did not like Melania's baby blue ensemble today. My GOP friends are losing their shit. Totally losing their shit. Because we are so partisan now that 80s pastel has to be admired if someone affiliated with our party is wearing it. My cousin (a sane one who worked on Hillary's campaign) made mention of President Douchebag's blowing tie and slightly too short pants and they lost their shit even more. One woman made various proclamations that some people like their pants too short and we should not judge their choices if we believe in tolerance and equality (because pant length is totally like race, gender and sexuality--you totally can't change the length of your pants!) . Another suggested that his suits are too loose because the "weight of the presidency" has caused him to lose weight. My cousin pointed out that someone in his position can likely afford a tailor, even at the last minute. No response. 

And here's the thing...the clothing thing, totally not partisan on my part. I actually really like the gown she is wearing tonight. 

*My husband named him President Douchebag earlier this evening and we shall call him that in this house for the duration. 

That's a good name for him.  Of course I'm refusing to call him President and instead will call him something else.  Maybe Occupant Trump in polite company.  And around here the old standbys of Orange Fornicate Face, the Giant Orange Tapeworm, Donald J. Putinfluffer, Putin's Personal Fluffer, and so on.

And yeah the Branch Trumpvidians will excuse any thing the tapeworm or his wife say, do, or wear.  They're all rather cult like in their admiration of him.  Even if he had suddenly lost or gained some weight someone in his position with his money can afford the money to have a tailor make adjustments at the last minute.  And I bet cash money these are the same people who bitch endlessly about what others wear.

Will she be referred to as the  QVCFlotus?!  I just cannot imagine this woman having much to do with a traditional Flotus role, anyway...

@GreyhoundFan, you always come up with wonderful articles.  Thank you!

And I hope all the marches are peaceful and everyone stays safe. 

Here's The Guardian with an article on protests in solidarity around the world today.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/21/protests-around-world-show-solidarity-with-womens-march-on-washington

And another article:  Remember these marches in protest are only the beginning.  

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/19/womens-march-washington-occupy-protest

The conclusion, my bolding:

The number one challenge standing in the way of an effective protest in America today is the inability of our social movements to actually govern. There might be a slight chance our protests could oust Trump, but there is no chance that our present-day movements could govern at all, let alone effectively.

That is because leaderless protesters don’t know how to make complex decisions together as movement. Occupy couldn’t even come up with its one demand.

Now we are seeing this capacity slowly develop among protest movements in Europe. However, until we can replicate their successes in America, the people will never be able to take back sovereignty and our protests remain an exercise in infantile futility.

And that is the great gift that the Women’s March on Washington could give us. May the angry women return home the day after the march to lead us toward a women-led hybrid movement-party in every state that is disciplined enough to govern, militantly local and single-mindedly devoted to actualizing a force capable of seizing control of city councils and mayorships during midterm elections across America in preparation for an electoral coup against the presidency in 2020.

Now that would be a goal worth marching toward.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived