IGNORED

Girl Defined

onlysaneperson

On 10/11/2019 at 7:06 AM, freethemall said:

Screenshot_20191011-070413_Instagram.jpg

Just saw this picture, thanks for posting it here. I know it's old news by now, but in case anyone is curious, the sign they're smiling under says (approximately) , 

"Bunker Grounds Entrance" 

And below, 

"With the prisons and crenels of the Reichssicherheitsdienst" which literally means "service for the security of the Reich" but refers to a division of the SS who served as personal bodyguards for Hitler and other high-ranking nazis. 

Yikes. Bethy, if it's so sobering, why the fuck are you grinning ear-to-ear and slathering it on social media? Also, I'm sure Davey Jr. is enjoying this so much and he'll remember it forever. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 9

4 hours ago, The Mother Dust said:

"The ability of women to say no, to live without being paired up was the single greatest step made in women’s rights all over the world." - Beatrice Louis.       More women need to read this quote.  I love it.

I can’t love this post enough! This sums up my love of singleness perfectly. 

For sometime I struggled with my love of singleness and yet also feeling I “should” get married, in spite of hating dating and not having a desire to be in a relationship.  

One day I was talking with my 90-something grandmother who’d been married for well over 60 years. I’d never in my life heard her say anything disparaging towards my grandfather and that day she unloaded on me.  I learned how very different her life would’ve been if she were in my shoes in this “era.” 

She made it clear that if she were young now, she would’ve remained single and enjoyed every minute of not feeling obligated to marry. It was a different time then and as much as people outside her life would look up to her long marriage, if she had married my abusive grandfather a generation or two later she would’ve divorced him about 10 years into their marriage! 

That conversation ended all my internal struggle!

• Upvote 12
  • Love 14

11 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I can’t love this post enough! This sums up my love of singleness perfectly. 

For sometime I struggled with my love of singleness and yet also feeling I “should” get married, in spite of hating dating and not having a desire to be in a relationship.  

One day I was talking with my 90-something grandmother who’d been married for well over 60 years. I’d never in my life heard her say anything disparaging towards my grandfather and that day she unloaded on me.  I learned how very different her life would’ve been if she were in my shoes in this “era.” 

She made it clear that if she were young now, she would’ve remained single and enjoyed every minute of not feeling obligated to marry. It was a different time then and as much as people outside her life would look up to her long marriage, if she had married my abusive grandfather a generation or two later she would’ve divorced him about 10 years into their marriage! 

That conversation ended all my internal struggle!

Aren't epiphanies like that wonderful?  Especially when a respected family friend or relative makes you realize "it's not just you." Although I am sorry yours came by way of your grandma's bad experience. I'll give the full article I took that quote from (I was hate-Googling Jordan Peterson and found it.)    https://conatusnews.com/jordan-peterson-enforced-monogamy/
I call the act of dating or attempting to date "being romantically employed." I freakin hate it too.  I was widowed in my 20s, and loved my husband, but I have had no desire to pursue getting married again, and i'm almost 40.  I have witnessed SO. MANY. friends and family members put up with BS from spouses. I don't think I'd be that lucky a second time, and  I'm not doing it.

I have posted this elsewhere on FJ, but I used to work at a catholic college.  One of the nuns that lived there was in her late 90s and was still teaching, sharp, and walking around the large campus with no problem.  One of my other coworkers asked her what her secret was, and she said "I never got married."  It wasn't a one-liner for laughs, she was serious.  I will never forget that.  (She wanted to be a scholar when she was young, and becoming a nun was one of the only ways a girl in her day could devote her life to scholarship.)

Edited by The Mother Dust
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 12

My nana told me to never marry a jealous man. Or, your life will suck, basically.  She told me about her bf who married such a man and she couldn't just say she's going to the store and take off. He'd pester her with questions.  What store, where, how long, who are you going with.  This was the sweetest woman and into their old age he was still a controlling jerk like that.  Nana mentioned this a lot. Also, to marry for love, someone kind who loves you a little more than you love him and be able to take care of myself on my own throughout my life.  

I listened!  Worked out quite well that advice.  

I hate to hear of my sisters having to endure a terrible marriage.  To suffer abuse at the hands of a husband is a deep betrayal.  Back in their day, they had little choice.  I'm so thankful we do. I wish every country would drop the patriarchy and make arrainged marriage illegal.  These fundie wannabes are nuts. They know not of what they speak.  

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

5 hours ago, The Mother Dust said:

Aren't epiphanies like that wonderful?  Especially when a respected family friend or relative makes you realize "it's not just you." Although I am sorry yours came by way of your grandma's bad experience. I'll give the full article I took that quote from (I was hate-Googling Jordan Peterson and found it.)    https://conatusnews.com/jordan-peterson-enforced-monogamy/
I call the act of dating or attempting to date "being romantically employed." I freakin hate it too.  I was widowed in my 20s, and loved my husband, but I have had no desire to pursue getting married again, and i'm almost 40.  I have witnessed SO. MANY. friends and family members put up with BS from spouses. I don't think I'd be that lucky a second time, and  I'm not doing it.

I have posted this elsewhere on FJ, but I used to work at a catholic college.  One of the nuns that lived there was in her late 90s and was still teaching, sharp, and walking around the large campus with no problem.  One of my other coworkers asked her what her secret was, and she said "I never got married."  It wasn't a one-liner for laughs, she was serious.  I will never forget that.  (She wanted to be a scholar when she was young, and becoming a nun was one of the only ways a girl in her day could devote her life to scholarship.)

I have always said that if my husband and I ever divorce or I’m widowed, I will never marry again. I love my alone time and independence too much. I love my husband and I don’t want to divorce him because he does respect my alone time and independence. But I can’t imagine finding another person like that to marry. And frankly I don’t want to. My mom never remarried after she divorced my dad and I totally get it. She’s crazy independent just like me.

• Upvote 15
  • Love 4

Can I just +1 everything that @TheMotherDust said?  I was widowed in 2005(at 38), and although I am in no way saying I’m glad he’s gone, Iappreciate that I can watch/listen to/do what I want, when I want, and I don’t have to worry about “Did he take his medicine? Is he going to have a seizure today?  If I have to call 911 and he has to go to the hospital, how are we going to pay for it?”(for a sizable chunk of our marriage, we had no health insurance).  Add to that his irresponsibility with money—at the end, we had to have separate accounts at separate banks, and while my SSDI/paychecks paid most of the bills, he would blow his on video games and CDs(his justification was “But I put them on layaway!”).

(Rant over, sorry. ?)

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 11

Bethy and Dav are the very model of marrying unwisely and in haste.  Marriage is not all happy days.  It is two people with all the baggage being together.  And being happy takes work.  A lot of work.  ? I love my husband and married the man not a Knot fanfic.  That knowledge makes a difference.  ❤️

Edited by Soulhuntress
  • Upvote 9

I get the feeling Bethy really gets on Kristen's nerves. I was watching bits of their videos (the 30 seconds at a time I can stomach, anyway) and especially recently, the vibe is more tense and nearly as awkward as it is between Dave and Bethy. Kristen doesn't get as much snark because frankly, she's incredibly bland. But she strikes me as far more intelligent and mature, which isn't saying a whole lot but it's something. Her marriage also seems solid from the outside. It must be a major pain in the ass to have an overgrown hyperactive 13-year-old as a sister AND a business partner. 

The only thing I really hate about Kristen, besides 96% of what she believes, is how preachy she sounds all the time. Like bitch, I get that you think ministry is your calling, but stop trying to sound like Billy Graham. Your lack of education is showing. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Sonic the Whoredgehog said:

I get the feeling Bethy really gets on Kristen's nerves. I was watching bits of their videos (the 30 seconds at a time I can stomach, anyway) and especially recently, the vibe is more tense and nearly as awkward as it is between Dave and Bethy. Kristen doesn't get as much snark because frankly, she's incredibly bland. But she strikes me as far more intelligent and mature, which isn't saying a whole lot but it's something. Her marriage also seems solid from the outside. It must be a major pain in the ass to have an overgrown hyperactive 13-year-old as a sister AND a business partner. 

The only thing I really hate about Kristen, besides 96% of what she believes, is how preachy she sounds all the time. Like bitch, I get that you think ministry is your calling, but stop trying to sound like Billy Graham. Your lack of education is showing. 

I really think this is the beginning of the end of Kristin and Bethany. Bethany is pregnant so it’s going to majorly change their dynamic. Kristin is the wise oldest sister who always did everything first. Now Bethany is the first one to have a baby and things will change between them. Especially since Kristin really wants a baby. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Speaking of problematic marriages,  I've noticed Paul and Morgan Olliges discussed in this thread but don't have their own. Is it time? I mean, this is the girl who puked in the middle of her husband's wedding vows when he said he can't support her (without God). Mr. Atheist and the r/FundieSnark have recently focused a lot on them.

• Upvote 8

On 10/13/2019 at 8:49 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I really think this is the beginning of the end of Kristin and Bethany.

God, one can only hope... 

14 hours ago, freethemall said:

Speaking of problematic marriages,  I've noticed Paul and Morgan Olliges discussed in this thread but don't have their own. Is it time? I mean, this is the girl who puked in the middle of her husband's wedding vows when he said he can't support her (without God). Mr. Atheist and the r/FundieSnark have recently focused a lot on them.

Good idea! I was thinking of starting one myself but I'm relatively new and haven't built up the cajones, lol. 

This thread is pretty old too. Maybe a combined New Wave YouTube Fundies thread? I'm sure there's others in the same vein that I'd love to snark on, and they all seem to overlap a lot. 

Thread title suggestion: "Young, White, and #Blessed: The Fundies of YouTube" 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 4

19 minutes ago, Sonic the Whoredgehog said:

God, one can only hope... 

Good idea! I was thinking of starting one myself but I'm relatively new and haven't built up the cajones, lol. 

This thread is pretty old too. Maybe a combined New Wave YouTube Fundies thread? I'm sure there's others in the same vein that I'd love to snark on, and they all seem to overlap a lot. 

Thread title suggestion: "Young, White, and #Blessed: The Fundies of YouTube" 

Kirstin and Bethany definitely have a lot of content and controversy to warrant their own thread,  and I think Paul and Morgan do too.

The only misgiving I have is one Mr Atheist has pointed out - is hate following these people actually helping them? When we watch these trainwreck videos it still adds to their number of views and thus $$$. Some have argued both YouTube stars were on the down low until they gained their hate followings.

Anyway, if I don't get around to it and someone else makes it, please include the wedding ceremony puking video in the background!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

3 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Kirstin and Bethany definitely have a lot of content and controversy to warrant their own thread,  and I think Paul and Morgan do too.

The only misgiving I have is one Mr Atheist has pointed out - is hate following these people actually helping them? When we watch these trainwreck videos it still adds to their number of views and thus $$$. Some have argued both YouTube stars were on the down low until they gained their hate followings.

Anyway, if I don't get around to it and someone else makes it, please include the wedding ceremony puking video in the background!

I think FJ folks are pretty good at keeping the views down to a minimum. I never watch their videos on their channel. I just watch other youtubers who review their content. Although I think there’s a ton of hate watching going on, I’m not sure it’s a lot of FJ folks. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think FJ folks are pretty good at keeping the views down to a minimum. I never watch their videos on their channel. I just watch other youtubers who review their content. Although I think there’s a ton of hate watching going on, I’m not sure it’s a lot of FJ folks. 

There are also some FJers who will pretty regularly recap videos here for us (not just GD, but PP videos, etc) "take one for the team" as it were. I think the recaps go pretty far in satisfying curiosity, so I am sure they have minimized the # of views a lot. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

19 minutes ago, The Mother Dust said:

There are also some FJers who will pretty regularly recap videos here for us (not just GD, but PP videos, etc) "take one for the team" as it were. I think the recaps go pretty far in satisfying curiosity, so I am sure they have minimized the # of views a lot. 

I think the recaps are infinitely more entertaining than the original source videos. PP's voice sets me on edge, Zoo always seems to be unpacking boxes of stuff, and I can't even with GD and Mrs Midwest. Give me the SparkNotes any day.

The recappers do a great job. :text-thankyouyellow:

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 11

Recapping GD/P&M actually sounds kinda fun, if other people would enjoy it. I've got a busy couple days but I'll try and sit down and do some compiling when I have a chance. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 6

2 hours ago, Sonic the Whoredgehog said:

Recapping GD/P&M actually sounds kinda fun, if other people would enjoy it. I've got a busy couple days but I'll try and sit down and do some compiling when I have a chance. 

I don't consider it "fun" to be slogging through a lot of misinformation, lies, and pseudo Bible speak... but hey, if you like it, I'll read the recap, because watching these people makes me want to puke~

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I don't consider it "fun" to be slogging through a lot of misinformation, lies, and pseudo Bible speak... but hey, if you like it, I'll read the recap, because watching these people makes me want to puke~

It's why I consider them "taking one for the team." Not all heroes wear capes ?I do think it's important to stay aware of what these people are spewing to the general public.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, The Mother Dust said:

It's why I consider them "taking one for the team." Not all heroes wear capes ?I do think it's important to stay aware of what these people are spewing to the general public.  

I’d read them. I can’t stand watching them and love reading people’s recaps.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 10/14/2019 at 7:41 AM, freethemall said:

I mean, this is the girl who puked in the middle of her husband's wedding vows when he said he can't support her (without God). 

Spoiler

2E4DD9B5-89A4-40A6-9B1C-CC7BB28A904E.gif

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Haha 12

Wrong thread.  Thought I was replying to the Mrs. Midwest thread.

Edited by raspberrymint
Wrong thread
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, raspberrymint said:

Wrong thread.  Thought I was replying to the Mrs. Midwest thread.

Girl Defined, Mrs. Midwest, they are almost interchangeable, I can see where you got them mixed up! 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

On 10/15/2019 at 5:36 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

Reveal hidden contents

2E4DD9B5-89A4-40A6-9B1C-CC7BB28A904E.gif

I feel like if there's one video I'm okay giving view #s to it's this one.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 2

So, Paul, your wife panics and runs away from the altar literally vomiting, and all you do is stand there listening to Travis the Preacher pontificate.  Not a good look for you. Oh, and your vows were absolute $#!+.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic