IGNORED

Girl Defined

onlysaneperson

I guess the charitable reading of her statement would be something like "I'm sick of people always assuming that my sister and I are engaged in a bitter rivalry over life milestones, whether about this or my own past singleness." But then, nothing about their established public personas gives us reason to interpret them particularly charitably.

• Upvote 6

Girl Defined put up a new video of the Josh Harris situation.  I don't know if I can get through watching all of it though...I think I just want to watch for any passive aggressive sisterly moments and eat some popcorn while doing so.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 1

I watched it.  I don't know how they can be (or act) so happy while thinking of themselves as broken and inherently bad. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Back to bethany freaking out about laundry. It's one of the many things I dont get about fundieland. These girls including duggars and bates always preach about a woman's role as homemaker but then they cant do basic homemaker shit. 

Also I cant wait for bethany and kristen to explode. Bethany definitely looks at this pregnancy like a "hahaha kristen you made me feel like shit for not getting married sooner but here I am pregnant before you!"  I was never convinced there is no animosity in these families. I mean come on you are just expected to smile all of the time? Kristen is just supposed to feel like she doesnt deserve kids because that's the lords plan meanwhile her sister is being extremely insensitive  towards her about her pregnancy? 

• Upvote 6

The sisters were shit talking “God is Grey,” who is a youtube Christian personality, at a recent conference. They are so childish. I swear they haven’t grown past junior high. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

They are pretty blonde bullies hiding behind their faith, simple as that. Mean girls of fundieland. I cannot believe how anyone can act so superficial, childish and ignorant at their age.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

I'm watching Mr. Atheist's latest response to Girl Defined and I love this quote of his:

"God: 'What if I create a universe that's only good for people with penises?  Yes, that's the universe everyone will be crazy about!' "

• Haha 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

On 8/22/2019 at 4:11 AM, Timetraveler said:

They are pretty blonde bullies hiding behind their faith, simple as that. Mean girls of fundieland. I cannot believe how anyone can act so superficial, childish and ignorant at their age.

Which is why I feel less bad about this BEC post: 

What the hell is Bethany wearing in that conference video that God Is Grey shared? A safari jumpsuit? And why did she look through her closet and say to herself, "ooh...this olive green safari jumpsuit that is kind of ill fitting is perfect for speaking in public! And I'll tie half my hair up with a really dumb looking scarf, too!". 

And they give fashion, hair and makeup advice on top of their other schlock...

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

23 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Which is why I feel less bad about this BEC post: 

What the hell is Bethany wearing in that conference video that God Is Grey shared? A safari jumpsuit? And why did she look through her closet and say to herself, "ooh...this olive green safari jumpsuit that is kind of ill fitting is perfect for speaking in public! And I'll tie half my hair up with a really dumb looking scarf, too!". 

And they give fashion, hair and makeup advice on top of their other schlock...

I’m no fashionista myself, however I must say that I don’t like Bethany’s style at all. I’ve seen so many outfits that I think are just plain ugly. I like Kristin’s style better.

• Upvote 5

On 8/22/2019 at 4:11 AM, Timetraveler said:

God is Grey is a prettier blonde with a more genuine smile and a healthy tan. They're jealous. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m no fashionista myself, however I must say that I don’t like Bethany’s style at all. I’ve seen so many outfits that I think are just plain ugly. I like Kristin’s style better.

It's as if Bethany has no concept of how overwhelmingly unflattering her fashion choices are.  She's not a natural beauty like Kristen, but she's not naturally hideous either. 

But then she cakes on tons of chalky foundation, encircles her eyes so they look the size of pinholes, chooses bright lip products that make her mouth look tiny, and chooses clothing that make her look like a toddler boy who's just had a growth spurt.  So many overalls, jumpsuits and pants that pull and hang in all the wrong places because she bought "average" instead of tall size,

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

56 minutes ago, raspberrymint said:

God is Grey is a prettier blonde with a more genuine smile and a healthy tan. They're jealous. 

I would guess they aren’t jealous. I would guess they are threatened. Fundies seem to have incredibly thin skins. And when a beautiful, genuinely caring, Christian woman says they are wrong, it flips them the fuck out. They can easily write off atheists who cuss them out and insult them online. GiG reaches out to them as a fellow Christian with empathy and caring. She said she would love to talk. Kristin and Bethany could never handle that. They would basically have a meltdown because GiG would bring up some really amazing points challenging their Christian beliefs. They cannot handle anyone challenging them in a thoughtful and intelligent way. So they went after her at a conference. Probably hoping it would make GiG upset and not want to talk To them anymore or would lash back. I’m sure they would love for her to lash back. It’s easier to attack someone if they lash out in anger at you. But nope. GiG didn’t lash out or call anyone names. Now they likely won’t communicate with GiG anymore. They are afraid of her. They are afraid they’ve been completely wrong for years. They are afraid they’ve made money off of wrong beliefs. So they will stick to their little bubble and won’t have anymore contact.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 5

So they're basically a Christian version of mean girls, talking shit about their competition at "conferences".

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

1 minute ago, squiddysquid said:

So they're basically a Christian version of mean girls, talking shit about their competition at "conferences".

I’m so curious about who is actually attending these conferences. Do the attendees wear their makeup a la Girl Defined, eg in a godly way? Are they modestly attired? Did they choose to attend the conference, or did their parents sign them up? So many questions.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, apandaaries said:

I’m so curious about who is actually attending these conferences. Do the attendees wear their makeup a la Girl Defined, eg in a godly way? Are they modestly attired? Did they choose to attend the conference, or did their parents sign them up? So many questions.

It has to be a lot of teen Christian girls. I honestly can’t imagine many women over 25 giving them an ounce of thought. Unless they went with their teen daughter as chaperone.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

Well I should say that Hannah Millsap just fan girled Girl Defined on Instagram. I think she’s around 25. I want that girl to get out of fundie land so bad but I have little hope. Her oldest sister married and divorced the oldest Holt son. Then her younger sister has a baby outside of marriage. But Hannah is still deep in fundieland it seems. Sad. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

GiG promotes a Christian doctrine where everyone is welcome at Gods table, where everyone is love, and most importantly where everyone is accepted just as they are. It's the exact opposite of Girl Defined. In Girl Defined land, Gods love is conditional. You have to walk a narrow path. You may even have to change who you are if you want God to love you. Their philosophy's are in direct competition. Girl Defined could loose money if their viewers knew that God loves them just as they are.

Edited by DarkAnts
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

Girl Defined posted a new YouTube video about "Do We Always Get Along as Sisters?"  The short answer is no.  There was no b-slapping or choking or sister vs. sister fist fights, so it wasn't too exciting. (JK!)?

• Thank You 3

On 8/24/2019 at 2:29 PM, squiddysquid said:

I was introduced to these two by Mr Athiest. Girl defined came up as a suggestion after watching him roast Lori Alexander. I'm wondering what I'm missing here? I didn't find anything they said to be particularly compelling or original and I agree with Squiddy, they come across as fundy mean girls. Seriously, it was like listening to two 80's mat rat valley girls. There was also a clip of the ladies and their husbands (????) that was incredibly awkward. Can anyone give me a quick summary of what they're about?

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

1 minute ago, SuperNova said:

I was introduced to these two by Mr Athiest. Girl defined came up as a suggestion after watching him roast Lori Alexander. I'm wondering what I'm missing here? I didn't find anything they said to be particularly compelling or original and I agree with Squiddy, they come across as fundy mean girls. Seriously, it was like listening to two 80's mat rat valley girls. There was also a clip of the ladies and their husbands (????) that was incredibly awkward. Can anyone give me a quick summary of what they're about?

Kristin has been married for 8 years and has dealt with infertility and multiple miscarriages. Bethany got married last year to a man who “prayed the gay away” and now they are expecting a baby. They also have three younger sisters. I wonder if they will get the younger girls in on Girl Defined in the future.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wonder if they will get the younger girls in on Girl Defined in the future.

I think at least one of them already works with GD in some capacity. Elissa has the site linked in her Instagram bio and IIRC has written a guest post? It seems inevitable that they pass the torch to their younger sisters who are more "relatable" to their target audience, and may not have many other viable career options. But then again, they're tone-deaf enough to be in their 30s and referring to referring to themselves as "girls" (I know some people do it casually or as a figure of speech and that's fine, but Bethy especially seems really reluctant to accept that she's an adult) so who knows. 

While I'm here, their latest IG post really pushes my buttons. I'm new here and not sure how to properly add it the screenshot, but it's an R. C. Sproul qoute that says "We have to determine our theology from the word of God, not from how we feel". 

I am SO. sick. and tired. of the "Christian" mentality that feelings and emotions are a lie or a trap, that they don't matter, and that they will lead you away from God. We have emotions for a reason. They're an evolved survival mechanism, or a consequence of having a soul, whichever way you want to look at it. They're instincts, after a fashion. It's not a good idea to always act solely on emotion, but it's also not a good idea to act solely on "rationality". Why would Satan act only on someone's heart, and not their brain? Do these people think reason is objective just because it's emotionless? They do realize that what they think they hear from God is a "feeling", right? 

This ideology of "feelings bad reason good" is partially responsible for abhorrent treatment of mentally ill people by the church and society at large. It has directly contributed to patriarchy through the corollary that women's "tendency" towards being "emotional" is a weakness. It combats social movements towards finally acknowledging the validity of the impact emotions have on people, especially men. From a Christian perspective, it derides and devalues a central, God - given part of a human being. And most of all, it's bullshit. "Go with your gut, except when it comes to interpreting translated versions of ancient texts and understanding an intangible God that surpasses human intellect". Yeah, right. 

Also, it was 100% a dig at GiG for having empathy and consideration for human beings that make Bethy and Kristen "cringe". What shady bitches. 

Anyway, nice to meet you all, I totally don't rant like this on a regular basis and am definitely very meek and don't have strong feelings at all. 

Edited by Sonic the Whoredgehog
typoed a letter oops
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 5

On 8/24/2019 at 4:48 PM, raspberrymint said:

I don’t know if they’re jealous over looks, but I can definitely see Kristen being jealous (and maybe a little angry at God) because GiG is pregnant and unmarried.   After Kristen has done everything better than the rest of us, the “false” Christian is blessed.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

“Girls” Defined can go on and on with their “sola scriptura” Biblical views, but I get the very strong impression that the stuff they’re spouting doesn’t come from their own interpretations of the Bible but from what’s been hammered into their heads since childhood. 

Sola scriptura ticks me off: it involves just as much cherrypicking as more liberal Biblical interpretation does, but dresses itself up in righteousness.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Hane said:

the stuff they’re spouting doesn’t come from their own interpretations of the Bible but from what’s been hammered into their heads since childhood. 

This is exactly it. These people have never had an original thought in their lives. Original thoughts come with nuance, humility, and a little bit of doubt. They show none of that. It's kind of sad, honestly. They haven't been taught any sort of critical thinking or analysis skills, or been encouraged to think for themselves because why would a woman ever need to do that? Just spend 30 years pining after a husband to do that for you instead and you'll be totally happy and satisfied when that happens! 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic