IGNORED

Seewalds 13 - Baby Still Baking

choralcrusader8613

13 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Charlotte is one of the more popular names in the U.S. right now, I think.

I like traditional names. I would consider names like George, Henry, Charlotte, Eleanor, etc. to be traditional. They are older put they stand the test of time (in my opinion.) And they don't necessarily scream a certain decade in the way a trendy name does (like the Heathers and Tiffanys of the 70's and 80's or the Jaydens and Haydens of the early 2000's.)

My husband suggested Charlotte when we were brainstorming names for our daughter. I liked it but vetoed it because it's like the 9th or 10th most popular girl name in the US (Isabella and Sophia got the boot for the same reason. I had three Isabellas in my class that year). Also, I really dislike the nickname Charlie on a girl and at least one person would have inevitably tried to call her that. I like all the names that you listed though.

Right now my favorite girl name, besides my daughter's name, is Genevieve. I'm not sure if it's considered old fashioned but I think it's beautiful.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, eveandadam said:

I just saw a baby in the local newspaper this morning (in the birth section) named Otto and a few weeks ago Karl-Otto, it's on the rise...

I feel your pain: old-fashioned names are becoming so popular, my favorite one was Martha, which is now THE new thing.

Otto is a family name for us. I *almost* gave it to my newest four-legged child and didn't because I'd probably be disowned for disrespecting my uncle, grandfather, great, and great-great grandfathers. I'd use it as a middle name *maybe* for a child I guess. 

I'll be annoyed if it gets trendy, though. 

15 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

My husband suggested Charlotte when we were brainstorming names for our daughter. I liked it but vetoed it because it's like the 9th or 10th most popular girl name in the US (Isabella and Sophia got the boot for the same reason. I had three Isabellas in my class that year). Also, I really dislike the nickname Charlie on a girl and at least one person would have inevitably tried to call her that. I like all the names that you listed though.

Right now my favorite girl name, besides my daughter's name, is Genevieve. I'm not sure if it's considered old fashioned but I think it's beautiful.

I consider Genevieve to be a classic. We have a youngin' in our family with that name. It was also my great grandma's name.

We named our son a classic name that happens to be pretty popular right now. We considered taking it off of our list because of the current popularity but we both loved it way too much to do that. I'm glad we kept it because it really suits him.

I just tried searching the social security name site to see where it has ranked the last few years but I keep getting an error. Boo.

My husband likes the nickname Chuck for Charlotte. Mainly because of the show Pushing Daisies, I think. Ha! I think Charlie is cute but not Chuck.

3 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Although George, Martha, and Charlotte are a bit old-fashioned, I don't think it would be strange to find a young child with any of those names. To me, some really old-fashioned names that would seem odd would be names like Mildred, Orville, or Wilbur, or Gladys. YMMV, though. I'm reminded of the crack in "Designing Women" from the early 1990s about how odd it will be when everyone's grandmother is named something like Heather or Tiffany, which were the trendy names at the time. 

Mildred is soooo cute :-)

Can you imagine two little twin girls named Martha and Mildred?!

OMG! Now I'm giving Josh and Anna ideas on how to name their 5th child (if there is one and if it is a girl). Oh God, please don't take Martha or Mildred!

I'm really interested in seeing what they come up with to name this one. I've always been interested in names.

The ONE thing that disappoints me about not having kids is not being able to use any of the cool names we have in the family - True, Zella, Valentine, Maris, Frances, Marybelle, Hazel, Sally, Pearl, Sidney, Rosette, Polly... I've been tempted to use them for my dolls/characters, but haven't yet because it feels odd. Valentine is a middle name and I did use the associated first name for one, however. And a few other names that I didn't realize were in the family!

1 hour ago, ClaraOswin said:

I consider Genevieve to be a classic. We have a youngin' in our family with that name. It was also my great grandma's name.

We named our son a classic name that happens to be pretty popular right now. We considered taking it off of our list because of the current popularity but we both loved it way too much to do that. I'm glad we kept it because it really suits him.

I just tried searching the social security name site to see where it has ranked the last few years but I keep getting an error. Boo.

My husband likes the nickname Chuck for Charlotte. Mainly because of the show Pushing Daisies, I think. Ha! I think Charlie is cute but not Chuck.

Future whoomp will be named Charlotte, nicknamed Lottie. My great aunt was named Lottie, and I've always loved the name.

1 hour ago, eveandadam said:

Mildred is soooo cute :-)

Can you imagine two little twin girls named Martha and Mildred?!

OMG! Now I'm giving Josh and Anna ideas on how to name their 5th child (if there is one and if it is a girl). Oh God, please don't take Martha or Mildred!

Mildred and Martha don't seem to be Anna's style. I think they are a little too old fashioned for her. I think she would go with something like Makayla, Mariah, or maybe even Mya. For boys, they seem traditional Bible names. So my guess for another boy would be Matthew. 

2 hours ago, Babsi said:

Aww <3

I like to name my possessions too. Car has no name as of now but my computer is named Betsy :D

My computer is called Dolly 

1 hour ago, VineHeart137 said:

Also, I really dislike the nickname Charlie on a girl and at least one person would have inevitably tried to call her that.

I on the other hand would consider naming a potential sprog Charlotte or Charlotta just to call them Charlie :) (I like Chuck, too but that might be too out there here) but Charles is not a common name here, it would be Karl, so I do not associate it with the male equivalent (There was however a TV series about a chimpanzee named Charly in the 90s so....hm :D )

I love classic names. My favorite girl names are Nora, Audrey & Lydia. I find picking out boy names boring and as hard as I try I can't come up with any favorites. I also love perusing names that are classics for my family heritage. 

As for old German names, I'm American but my maternal grandparents were both from very German families. Their names were Laverne & Hildegard.

My sons both have traditional boys' names, but my daughter's name is very uncommon; not odd,  just uncommon. I was bound and determined because I hated having such a common first name, and I remember one year in school there were 3 of us with the same name, so the teacher wanted us to use our middles names. Well, that didn't fly because I happen to have a boyish name as a middle name (although now I love it), so I lied and said I didn't have one.

So, I was set on her likely being the only damn kid in school with her name. As far as I know, only one other person on this whole island has that name. Oddly, last year she asked me to change her name to Emma, which is about as common as a name gets. 

Growing up in the 80s, at least where I lived, you got bullied hardcore for anything that was "different". My first name was very uncommon when I was growing up, though it's kind of trendy now. So your post reminds me of myself when I was a kid--I renamed myself all kinds of common names and begged my mom to change it! She responded by saying "wouldn't you rather be unique and not be one of 3 or 4 Jennifers in your class?" I answered "NO, I would LOVE that!!" :pb_lol:

As for the Seewald baby, poor Spurgeon. His name bothers me so much as a "uniquely" named kid myself. At least he likely won't have to deal with public school. For Seewald2.0, I'm thinking girl, named Prudynce. Value name + fancy spelling for Jessa's sake. 

Sorry, tried to quote but it didn't work, I was referring to Denim Jumper's post above. Newbie here! 

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

I'm really interested in seeing what they come up with to name this one. I've always been interested in names.

The ONE thing that disappoints me about not having kids is not being able to use any of the cool names we have in the family - True, Zella, Valentine, Maris, Frances, Marybelle, Hazel, Sally, Pearl, Sidney, Rosette, Polly... I've been tempted to use them for my dolls/characters, but haven't yet because it feels odd. Valentine is a middle name and I did use the associated first name for one, however. And a few other names that I didn't realize were in the family!

Maris was used a lot in my family...it is a last name used as a first and middle for males...do you know if you're related to the Maris family? 

16 minutes ago, Denim Jumper said:

My sons both have traditional boys' names, but my daughter's name is very uncommon; not odd,  just uncommon. I was bound and determined because I hated having such a common first name, and I remember one year in school there were 3 of us with the same name, so the teacher wanted us to use our middles names. Well, that didn't fly because I happen to have a boyish name as a middle name (although now I love it).

So, I was set on my likely being the only damn kid in school with her name. Oddly, last year she asked me to change her name to Emma, which is about as common as a name gets. 

My sons both have traditional boys' names, but my daughter's name is very uncommon; not odd,  just uncommon. I was bound and determined because I hated having such a common first name, and I remember one year in school there were 3 of us with the same name, so the teacher wanted us to use our middles names. Well, that didn't fly because I happen to have a boyish name as a middle name (although now I love it).

So, I was set on my likely being the only damn kid in school with her name. Oddly, last year she asked me to change her name to Emma, which is about as common as a name gets. 

u ok

I, personally, dislike my own name (it's the #1 most common name of my birth year). It's VERY characteristic of my generation (and no, it's not Margaret :P). For girls, I'm in love with Myra and Dorothea for my own children, should I have any. Dot and Thea are solid nicknames, and Myra has personal significance to me. For boys, I was pissed when I saw Sebastian and Nathaniel rising in popularity... because of my own name, I wanted relatively uncommon ones for my kids, and now they're popular again.

I loved my grandmother, she was the most amazing woman I had ever met... her name was Florida Albertine. Maybe Albertine will be the requisite embarrassing middle name for a kid.

I think old-fashioned girl names might be in the picture for Ben and Jessa. I mean, I think we all agree that Spurgeon is a terrible name, but Spurgeon and Martha sounds a little less ridiculous than Spurgeon and Brylee. I know some people have guessed Jessa will want ~*tReNdY*~ names, but I don't think she will... well, it's more of a hope.

Balthazar reminds me of Charmed, specifically Cole Turner's demonic half. Wonder if he'll end up randomly appearing in the reboot. 

My three favorite baby names were Reuben, Rui, and Ruby. I could have had a Duggar-like theme going on. However, that was before I happened to marry a dude with the last name starting with Ru.

On the topic of names, I currently really like the name Mila/Milena for a girl. Nice meaning (grace/gracious), pretty without being too trendy-sounding (though I know it's trendy as fuck right now because of Mila Kunis and Jenna Bush's daughter), and easy to write and pronounce. I'm also a fan of Elise, Sylvia, and Amelie for girls. For boys, I'm kinda boring (James, Joseph, Aaron, Daniel, Karl), though I do like the name Miles, which is a bit old-fashioned.

3 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I love Hazel! My boyfriend already vetoed it though because it is his grandma's name and he thinks it is "too old". I also know a Maris. I like the name but the girl is kind of a bitch so it has bad connotation in my head. My cousin has Genevieve as a middle name and I think it is beautiful! 

When I think of how many little old ladies I cared for in my early career named Pansy, Fay, Goldie, Rose, Gladys, Gilda, Miriam, just about any flower you could name!  At the same time, the babies were being named Caitlin, Ashley, Jennifer, Tiffany, Crystal, and all sorts of bling!

1 minute ago, Bugaboo said:

I love Hazel! My boyfriend already vetoed it though because it is his grandma's name and he thinks it is "too old". I also know a Maris. I like the name but the girl is kind of a bitch so it has bad connotation in my head. My cousin has Genevieve as a middle name and I think it is beautiful! 

My grandmother's name was Hazel, my step grandmother's name was Helen, and a dear friend of my mother's was named Rose. I wanted to name a daughter Rose Helen... but Hazel was in the running.

I am a fan of a mix of 'types' of names. Being from a Caribbean island I'm used to lots of different names that other countries wouldn't consider the norm. Names like Shelly-Ann, Trishanne (or any Anne attached) are popular as well as Peta-Gaye, Tanisha, Shanique, Kimoi for girls. Plus many variations. 

More standard names like Christina, Gabrielle, Megan, Hannah,  Audrey, Lauren, Marjorie, Mavis, Sharon etc. are also quite common.

I try not to be judgy of people's names because often it's classist (unless it's something to the effect of Spurgeon) 

For myself I like Iman, Genevieve, Rosalie, Najwa, Naima, Anya, Zara, Tatiana, Charlize, Anastasia, Yasmin, Saman, Rima, Tanya and Verity. 

I'd only have like one kid though so...looks like poor Jinder Jr. will have a ridiculously long name. 

Lord knows what I'd name a boy. 

27 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

I am a fan of a mix of 'types' of names. Being from a Caribbean island I'm used to lots of different names that other countries wouldn't consider the norm. Names like Shelly-Ann, Trishanne (or any Anne attached) are popular as well as Peta-Gaye, Tanisha, Shanique, Kimoi for girls. Plus many variations. 

More standard names like Christina, Gabrielle, Megan, Hannah,  Audrey, Lauren, Marjorie, Mavis, Sharon etc. are also quite common.

I try not to be judgy of people's names because often it's classist (unless it's something to the effect of Spurgeon) 

For myself I like Iman, Genevieve, Rosalie, Najwa, Naima, Anya, Zara, Tatiana, Charlize, Anastasia, Yasmin, Saman, Rima, Tanya and Verity. 

I'd only have like one kid though so...looks like poor Jinder Jr. will have a ridiculously long name. 

Lord knows what I'd name a boy. 

Genevieve is a cool name 'cause there are so many ways to pronounce it:

Jen e vive

John/Jean ve ev

Jen ve ev

I know two people with that name, and one is Jean ve ev and one is Jen ve ev.

I've been working on a list...please add and correct... please. I'm exhausted from this and have only done the ones predicted in this thread (not the ooh-I-like-this-name-in-general, but the predictions). I tried my best but my brain is dead right now... and my fingers lol.

Seemonkey Birthpool 

Date:
Jan 16 - TeamDefraudinSquad
Jan 26 - GotCaughtDancing/VixenToast
Jan 27 - nst/Mizandry/
Jan 28 - actuallyjessica/Four is Enough
Jan 29 - SorenaJ/Kira
Jan 30 - Bugaboo
Feb 1 - ScorpiousMalfoy/Justmy2cents/Kira/Joyleaf/19kittens/Jatalie1996
Feb 2 - Pasta/ViolaSebastian/
Feb 3 - 3arrowsandnotcounting/Fundie Bunny/
Feb 4 - Carm_88/SassyPants/
Feb 5 - frugalitymom/Bad Wolf/
Feb 6 - Incognito22
Feb 7 - HRM1216/Nicole Jinger Duggar
Feb 9 - CatchThatCow/VixenToast/
Feb 10 - Screamapillar/Stormy
Feb 11 - sndral 
Feb 12 - TeamDefraudinSquad
Feb 13 - NakedKnees
Feb 14 - eveandadam/Buzzard/sansan
Feb 16 - habert 

Names:
Boy:
Balthazar - Coffeebean7
Baxter Wyatt - habert 
Benjamin Robert - 19kittens
Bodhi-Bob Tozer Elias - GotCaughtDancing
Calvin Emanuel - SassyPants
Calvin Knox - Four is Enough
Carmichael Saint - Screamapillar
Cotton Mather - Denim Jumper
Elijah - elliha
Flame Calvin - sndral 
Hart - sansan 
Hudson Beckett/Wycliffe - adidas
Increase Mather - FloraKitty35
Knox Luther Calvin Jesus - VixenToast
Kumbaya - MoonFace
Luther Charles - eveandadam
Mordecai Westley - Wenny 
Peregrine Moses James - Gobsmacke
Rodicul Vincent - Pasta
Rosh Benjamin - Kira
Stud Benjamin - epic fail
Tebow Tozer - CatchThatCow
Tozer - Babsi/3arrowsandnotcounting/nst/wikinggirl/Dandruff/Jessalyn/
Tozer Arthur - MargaretElliott
Tozer Benjamin - Actuallyjessica/Mizandry/Jatalie1996
Tozer Benjamin Jesus - WhyNotJulie
Tozer Calvin - SorenaJ/Stormy
Tozer Martin - Incognito22
Ulysses Tozer - Stormy
Ulysses Wyatt - habert 
Wilberforce - jqlgoblue
Wilberforce Josiah - Nicole Jinger Duggar
Wilberforce Knox - MargaretElliott

Girls:
Allison - fluffernutter
Benoni Grace - Kira
Blessed Faith - MoonFace
Bodhi-Bob Tozer Elias - GotCaughtDancing
Charlotte Hope - HRM1216
Dorcas - Dubiousclaire
Ephratah - habert 
Galilee - JermajestyDuggar
Heart - sansan 
Hope Michelle - Carm_88
Katherine - fluffernutter
Kumbaya - Moonface
Mariah Nicole - Wenny 
Nature theme - epic fail
Nevaeh Grace - Bad Wolf
Novalee-Grace Carmichael - MargaretElliott
Obscure Religious - 
Old-fashioned - MargaretElliott
Olivia Grace - Kira
Penelope Guinn (PenGuinn) - Dandruff/who else said this last thread???
Pink - jqlgoblue
Prudence - Fundie Bunny
Selah - SportsGalAnnie
Selah Michelle - QuiverFullofBooks
Slessor Carmichael - Mizandry
Slessor Haseltine - Joyleaf
Virtue Name - ScorpiusMalfoy/Jiraffe/Carm_88/
Zipporah/Tsipporah - Wenny 

Weight/Length:
4 kilos - elliha (what is that in pounds? Lol)
6lbs - Pasta
7lbs 6oz - ViolaSebastian
7lbs 11oz - HRM1216
8lbs - nst/habert/
8lbs 6oz - Wenny 
8lbs 7oz - Nicole Jinger Duggar/Incognito22
8lbs 8oz - Bad Wolf/
8lbs 10oz - Bugaboo
8lbs 13oz - Screamapillar
8lbs 14oz - VixenToast
8lbs 15oz - GotCaughtDancing
9lbs 4oz - 3arrowsandnotcounting