IGNORED

Seewalds 13 - Baby Still Baking

choralcrusader8613

I read an article a few months ago that claimed that names popular during your great grandparents' generation tend to become popular again when you go to have your own children.

I've noticed names like Ruby, Ruth, Violet, Cora, Elsie, Daisy, Lillian, etc. seem to be rising in popularity. These names were popular for flapper-era ladies (babies born in the early 1900s who were adults in the 1920s). So, at least in America right now, this theory seems somewhat true for girls. It's harder for me to see the trend in boy names since so many seem to remain popular through all generations.

As for Jessa, I've got no ideas on names but I do think her baby will be born on February 5th just like Spurgeon was born on the 5th of the month. Having kids on the 5th will be Jessa's trend. :my_biggrin:

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our top girl names were Eleanor and Violet. I also love Isabel but my husband wasn't as keen on it. Other ones I would have considered were Charlotte and Amelia.

We could only come up with 2 boy names when I was pregnant - Owen and Henry.  Afterwards I did find a 3rd one I liked - Isaac.

But we're done having kids now. Maybe my next dog will be named Eleanor. Ha!

I don't have a problem with using shortened versions of names in some cases. I'm Debbie, not Deborah, my dad chose my name as he liked Debbie Harry but my parents hated Deborah. If the shortened version makes an ok name go for it but some shortened versions of names sound stupid and should be avoided. Tom is ok but Jim Bob no.

I hate the fundy trend for changing letters in names to y. Mackyzie, Edyn and Elyn look horrible. 

As for Jessa I hope she uses Aidan but I expect Tozer for boy. For girl Grace or hope.

The Y thing isn't limited to just fundies. It's been pretty popular all over for a while now.

5 hours ago, eveandadam said:

Mildred is soooo cute :-)

Can you imagine two little twin girls named Martha and Mildred?!

OMG! Now I'm giving Josh and Anna ideas on how to name their 5th child (if there is one and if it is a girl). Oh God, please don't take Martha or Mildred!

I don't love Mildred as a name for a baby - probably because my maternal grandmother was called Mildred, and it will always remind me of a 4'10" powerhouse of a Yiddisher Bubbe nagging at me to eat my vegetables. *g* 

It's funny, actually, speaking of names and nicknames that don't follow as one would expect... she died in January (that's not the funny part). My mother was sorting out all the paperwork, and we found out that the name on my grandmother's birth certificate was actually 'Minnie'. She just always went by Mildred -- even my mother and uncle didn't know! 

9 hours ago, princessmahina said:

Ugh, I hope not. I'm not a fan of tryndy names or a fan of nicknames as full names (which has already been argued to death over in the Bates forum, so I'm not trying to start anything with that comment). 

Somehow I don't think they'd choose "Obedience." It seems to me that they're still trying to appear a little bit normal and Obedience just screams patriarchal fundie family.

if they wanted to appear normal they would not act like taking a walk is the next thing since sliced bread. 

Obedience Seewald is the norm

@GoddessOfVictory, reading your list of girls' names I was struck by how many of those names are names of women characters from Downton Abbey:

Violet Crawley, the Dowager Countess

Cora Crawley, the Countess of Grantham

Elsie Hughes

Daisy Mason

I have no children but 15 children names with three names each. I love names. They make me happy. My favorites are  Deigan, Declan, Kylie, Allison, Gideon, and Grayson.. 

1 hour ago, VixenToast said:

I've been working on a list...please add and correct... please. I'm exhausted from this and have only done the ones predicted in this thread (not the ooh-I-like-this-name-in-general, but the predictions). I tried my best but my brain is dead right now... and my fingers lol.

Seemonkey Birthpool 

Date:
Jan 16 - TeamDefraudinSquad
Jan 26 - GotCaughtDancing/VixenToast
Jan 27 - nst/Mizandry/
Jan 28 - actuallyjessica/Four is Enough
Jan 29 - SorenaJ/Kira
Jan 30 - Bugaboo
Feb 1 - ScorpiousMalfoy/Justmy2cents/Kira/Joyleaf/19kittens/Jatalie1996
Feb 2 - Pasta/ViolaSebastian/
Feb 3 - 3arrowsandnotcounting/Fundie Bunny/
Feb 4 - Carm_88/SassyPants/
Feb 5 - frugalitymom/Bad Wolf/
Feb 6 - Incognito22
Feb 7 - HRM1216/Nicole Jinger Duggar
Feb 9 - CatchThatCow/VixenToast/
Feb 10 - Screamapillar/Stormy
Feb 11 - sndral 
Feb 12 - TeamDefraudinSquad
Feb 13 - NakedKnees
Feb 14 - eveandadam/Buzzard/sansan
Feb 16 - habert 

Names:
Boy:
Balthazar - Coffeebean7
Baxter Wyatt - habert 
Benjamin Robert - 19kittens
Bodhi-Bob Tozer Elias - GotCaughtDancing
Calvin Emanuel - SassyPants
Calvin Knox - Four is Enough
Carmichael Saint - Screamapillar
Cotton Mather - Denim Jumper
Elijah - elliha
Flame Calvin - sndral 
Hart - sansan 
Hudson Beckett/Wycliffe - adidas
Increase Mather - FloraKitty35
Knox Luther Calvin Jesus - VixenToast
Kumbaya - MoonFace
Luther Charles - eveandadam
Mordecai Westley - Wenny 
Peregrine Moses James - Gobsmacke
Rodicul Vincent - Pasta
Rosh Benjamin - Kira
Stud Benjamin - epic fail
Tebow Tozer - CatchThatCow
Tozer - Babsi/3arrowsandnotcounting/nst/wikinggirl/Dandruff/Jessalyn/
Tozer Arthur - MargaretElliott
Tozer Benjamin - Actuallyjessica/Mizandry/Jatalie1996
Tozer Benjamin Jesus - WhyNotJulie
Tozer Calvin - SorenaJ/Stormy
Tozer Martin - Incognito22
Ulysses Tozer - Stormy
Ulysses Wyatt - habert 
Wilberforce - jqlgoblue
Wilberforce Josiah - Nicole Jinger Duggar
Wilberforce Knox - MargaretElliott

Girls:
Allison - fluffernutter
Benoni Grace - Kira
Blessed Faith - MoonFace
Bodhi-Bob Tozer Elias - GotCaughtDancing
Charlotte Hope - HRM1216
Dorcas - Dubiousclaire
Ephratah - habert 
Galilee - JermajestyDuggar
Heart - sansan 
Hope Michelle - Carm_88
Katherine - fluffernutter
Kumbaya - Moonface
Mariah Nicole - Wenny 
Nature theme - epic fail
Nevaeh Grace - Bad Wolf
Novalee-Grace Carmichael - MargaretElliott
Obscure Religious - 
Old-fashioned - MargaretElliott
Olivia Grace - Kira
Penelope Guinn (PenGuinn) - Dandruff/who else said this last thread???
Pink - jqlgoblue
Prudence - Fundie Bunny
Selah - SportsGalAnnie
Selah Michelle - QuiverFullofBooks
Slessor Carmichael - Mizandry
Slessor Haseltine - Joyleaf
Virtue Name - ScorpiusMalfoy/Jiraffe/Carm_88/
Zipporah/Tsipporah - Wenny 

Weight/Length:
4 kilos - elliha (what is that in pounds? Lol)
6lbs - Pasta
7lbs 6oz - ViolaSebastian
7lbs 11oz - HRM1216
8lbs - nst/habert/
8lbs 6oz - Wenny 
8lbs 7oz - Nicole Jinger Duggar/Incognito22
8lbs 8oz - Bad Wolf/
8lbs 10oz - Bugaboo
8lbs 13oz - Screamapillar
8lbs 14oz - VixenToast
8lbs 15oz - GotCaughtDancing
9lbs 4oz - 3arrowsandnotcounting
9lbs 7oz - actuallyjessica
9lbs 8oz - SassyPants
9lbs 12oz - Stormy
10lbs - eveandadam/19kittens
10lbs 3oz - sndral 

Length:
19.5 in - HRM1216
20in - Bugaboo/Wenny 
21in - VixenToast/actuallyjessica
22in - Incognito22

Some of those names, lol. .. I just hope she doesn't choose Sarah..I couldn't even...

4 hours ago, Denim Jumper said:

LOL, I don't know WTF happened with my post! 

Self report and ask the admins to delete the repeats.

My daughter has an old fashioned name (Inspired by a Jane Austen character) but it's not one that's popular now. I put it into the Social Security database to make sure she wouldn't have the same name as every other girl in her school.

Based on all of the pictures of recently born babies in the hallway of my OBGYN office, every baby these days is either named something really old fashioned, like Hazel, or something really fantastical, like Rainbow.

I'm not going to continue the Jane Austen name theme for my kids. If we have a boy he'll be named after my husband's favorite soccer player. If we have another girl or we have a third child that's a second boy we have a gender neutral name we like for either one. My husband has only conceded that I can name one of our kids after Dolly Parton if we have a third girl!

Anyway, I keep thinking that Jessa and Ben are going to abandon this Heroes of the Christian faith name theme either when they have to many kids to continue or when they mature enough to realize that the themed naming of children is goofy. 

It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't using last names. If they went with first name of heroes, the names would be very normal. The Lord forbids them to be normal though. Or is it convicts them to be abnormal? 

My new gr dgt will be Adeline Blum *last name*. Had she been a boy she would have been Max.....just Max. Not short for anything.

Rainbow... idk if I could choose that. Maybe Meadow. I like traditional names, but if I were to go for "crazy" it would be Meadow for a girl and Templar for a boy.

i have met an Espn before, and he was wearing a football jersey. I had such secondhand embarrassment that I half heartedly hoped his mom had died in childbirth because that is such a Dad name idea, one that Moms would, hopefully, instantly veto. JMHO.

sorry to anyone named Espn. I have an old lady name, if it makes anyone feel better. :):D:) 

So, it turns out that Balthazar is the name of the villain in the new despicable me movie. He steals things and has a dance fight in the preview.  If Jessa and Ben choose that name I am going to have a good chuckle.

My mom was an original in the 'y' for girl names - she did it innocently though. She thought it would help with the pronunciation of my name. Just for the record, it didn't help and confuses people more I think. 

25 minutes ago, VixenToast said:

<snip>

sorry to anyone named Espn. I have an old lady name, if it make she anyone feel better. :):D:) 

I legally have an old lady name as well, given to me by my adoptive parents, who clearly were expecting someone else ^_^ I hate it with a purple passion...my friends call me the name I was given at birth

I'm not going to seriously guess names, no telling what Jessa will choose (I have the feeling she wasn't totally thrilled with Ben's choice, and will remedy that this time).

Feb. 3, 8 lbs. 21"

I want to do a theme with my kids names. *hides*

Nothing too terribly obvious-- English monarchs or Catholic saints. I think there's enough variety in there to not make it ridiculous. 

For Benessa's baby though, I'm going to guess Tozer or Calvin for a boy (and I think it will be another boy) or something like Charlotte for a girl. I don't think they'll do anything really weird or trendy for a girl's name. 

If they named a girl Charlotte, would they be accused of "stealing" the name from Prince William and Kate since they named their little girl Charlotte?

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@GoddessOfVictory, reading your list of girls' names I was struck by how many of those names are names of women characters from Downton Abbey:

Violet Crawley, the Dowager Countess

Cora Crawley, the Countess of Grantham

Elsie Hughes

Daisy Mason

Haha! Maybe Downton Abbey is the real reason some of those names have shot up in popularity.

1 hour ago, Screamapillar said:

My husband has only conceded that I can name one of our kids after Dolly Parton if we have a third girl!

I wanted to name my daughter Jolene, but the husband said no. I couldn't even convince him to use it as a middle name. 

1 hour ago, VixenToast said:

Wigglesworth. I may pray to God to lay it on their hearts to name the baby Wigglesworth. Lil Iggy.

Spurge, wiggy and cousin Issy.

Yep. Better than Jim Bob!

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived