IGNORED

Seewalds 13 - Baby Still Baking

choralcrusader8613

9 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

But right now a new trend is coming up where parents name their babies really old fashioned / old sounding names like: Martha, Ruth, Charlotte, George, Oscar...

This seems to be the same in America. I love writing stories, so I've been all over baby name websites for the past 7 years, and it's kind of cool how 7 years ago someone would be like "Hattie? Thats a grandma name!" but now I've seen it mentioned as people's favorite name so many times. 

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@eveandadam, using last names as first names has been done here in the US for some time, e.g. Taylor Swift and Harrison Ford.  (Harrison Ford's maternal grandfather was Harry Nidelman.  I imagine "Harry" was the inspiration to name the child Harry.  I don't know whether Mr Nidekman was deceased or not at the time that Harrison was born, but he was Jewish and you don't name babies after living relatives if you're Jewish.)  The practice has become more common since Harrison Ford was born though.

I thought Elsa was already something of a free-standing name, but maybe I'm confused by Joy Adamson naming the orphaned lion cub Elsa after a friend of hers in Vienna.  It's been used as a name of its own in the US for decades.

21 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

I really don't like nicknames as full names, either. It's also a trend here in Germany. Currently you hear a lot of baby names like: Mia as a short form for Maria, or Leo/Leon for Leonard, or Lisa/Elisa/Ella/Elsa (frozen) for Elisabeth, Anni for Anna, and so on. But right now a new trend is coming up where parents name their babies really old fashioned / old sounding names like: Martha, Ruth, Charlotte, George, Oscar...

what will come next? nicknames, then old fashioned names, what is next? maybe Jessa and Ben have something going on there: taking last names as first names for babies. This could be new thing.

Although George, Martha, and Charlotte are a bit old-fashioned, I don't think it would be strange to find a young child with any of those names. To me, some really old-fashioned names that would seem odd would be names like Mildred, Orville, or Wilbur, or Gladys. YMMV, though. I'm reminded of the crack in "Designing Women" from the early 1990s about how odd it will be when everyone's grandmother is named something like Heather or Tiffany, which were the trendy names at the time. 

3 hours ago, nst said:

Obedience I totally love it 

for a girl or a boy

almost as bad as heistheway

I think Persistence might fit better, she is Jessa's kid ^_^

7 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@eveandadam, using last names as first names has been done here in the US for some time, e.g. Taylor Swift and Harrison Ford.  (Harrison Ford's maternal grandfather was Harry Nidelman.  I imagine "Harry" was the inspiration to name the child Harry.  I don't know whether Mr Nidekman was deceased or not at the time that Harrison was born, but he was Jewish and you don't name babies after living relatives if you're Jewish.)  The practice has become more common since Harrison Ford was born though.

I thought Elsa was already something of a free-standing name, but maybe I'm confused by Joy Adamson naming the orphaned lion cub Elsa after a friend of hers in Vienna.  It's been used as a name of its own in the US for decades.

I didn't know it has been going on in the U.S. for so long, since Harrison Ford was born? That's a really long time (hehe, shady :-P ).

I thought the name Taylor is more a result of naming girls by using originally boy's names: Taylor, Ryan, Ruby,...

Using last names as first names wouldn't go so well in German. Only a few last names would be appropriate, and could then only be used as boy's names, like: Rainer or Luther or something. Man, I'm again realizing how gendered (and sexist) the German language is.

4 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I'm reminded of the crack in "Designing Women" from the early 1990s about how odd it will be when everyone's grandmother is named something like Heather or Tiffany, which were the trendy names at the time. 

It's strange how tendy names age with time and their carriers. I picture a Heather or a Tiffany today as a young woman in her early to mid twenties.

36 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

I really don't like nicknames as full names, either. It's also a trend here in Germany. Currently you hear a lot of baby names like: Mia as a short form for Maria, or Leo/Leon for Leonard, or Lisa/Elisa/Ella/Elsa (frozen) for Elisabeth, Anni for Anna, and so on. But right now a new trend is coming up where parents name their babies really old fashioned / old sounding names like: Martha, Ruth, Charlotte, George, Oscar...

Hi, fellow german here (probably obvious  from my username :D ). I personally do not like the nicknamey names (except having an inexplicabe soft spot for "Liv" as opposed to Olivia...*hides*) but I have loved many "old-fashioned" names since I was little and am now a bit upset because in the last 5 years it has become so popular and my favorite names are now sadly very common (Anton, Emil, Mathilda.... :(  )

Otto is so far the last one standing....aaargh :my_confused:

But at least the english names have receded a bit. I love a good english name (not the ones that were used by fellow germans...) but it just doesn't fit and to have someone called Tyler Maier....sorry but no. Although if I ever move to an english speaking country I will have all the fun with baby names :D

19 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Last names as first names are not really a thing here....imagine someone called Zimmermann Müller....not really working, but it can sound good with some english surnames. I also like the tradition of using maiden names as middle names sometimes...but again, not working in Germany (plus we have rules on naming....our "Standesamt" would most likely not allow it)

Edit: haha ok, you beat me to it :D:D:D

2 minutes ago, Babsi said:

Otto is so far the last one standing....aaargh :my_confused:

I just saw a baby in the local newspaper this morning (in the birth section) named Otto and a few weeks ago Karl-Otto, it's on the rise...

I feel your pain: old-fashioned names are becoming so popular, my favorite one was Martha, which is now THE new thing.

Just now, eveandadam said:

I just saw a baby in the local newspaper this morning (in the birth section) named Otto and a few weeks ago Karl-Otto, it's on the rise...

I feel your pain: old-fashioned names are becoming so popular, my favorite one was Martha, which is now THE new thing.

nooooooo :( (if I am ever so lucky to have a child...hopefully...I guess God doesn't have a special delivery service to send hot husbands to atheists? :D ) he or she will have to stay nameless and wear a shirt: all the good names were stolen.

Man why do trends always have to pop up at the wrong times...

Martha is also beautiful <3 mine was Mathilda but that one is probably too far gone by now :(

17 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Although George, Martha, and Charlotte are a bit old-fashioned, I don't think it would be strange to find a young child with any of those names. To me, some really old-fashioned names that would seem odd would be names like Mildred, Orville, or Wilbur, or Gladys

Well Martha does sound rather old in Germany. Georg (without the e here, it is also pronounced a bit differend, our g is not gee) and Charlotte are rather normal, something like Manfred, Wilhelm (our William) or for girls Mechthild or Hedwig would sound old. I myself have a name that is associated with women 30 years older than me (although I have met a 3 year old with it and was very surprised :)

11 minutes ago, Babsi said:

I myself have a name that is associated with women 30 years older than me (although I have met a 3 year old with it and was very surprised :)

I know a 24 year old woman with your first name. We graduated together last summer.

2 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

I know a 24 year old woman with your first name. We graduated together last summer.

Yes, I also know a few in that range (am 27 myself :) ) but in general it is a more old-fashioned name (and don't get me started on possible nicknames :D spent ages back in school trying to convince parents of classmates not to call me "Bärbel" :my_confused:) Now I like it, as a child, not all the time

24 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

Well, after Batman v Superman, it might not be anymore. :pb_lol: 

11 minutes ago, Babsi said:

nooooooo :( (if I am ever so lucky to have a child...hopefully...I guess God doesn't have a special delivery service to send hot husbands to atheists? :D ) he or she will have to stay nameless and wear a shirt: all the good names were stolen.

Man why do trends always have to pop up at the wrong times...

Martha is also beautiful <3 mine was Mathilda but that one is probably too far gone by now :(

Well Martha does sound rather old in Germany. Georg (without the e here, it is also pronounced a bit differend, our g is not gee) and Charlotte are rather normal, something like Manfred, Wilhelm (our William) or for girls Mechthild or Hedwig would sound old. I myself have a name that is associated with women 30 years older than me (although I have met a 3 year old with it and was very surprised :)

That's interesting. George isn't a super common name in the US as far as I know, but it's not considered particularly old-fashioned. My own name, which is from a character in the Hebrew Bible, was not common at all when I was growing up and I only met another person with that name when I was in college. Now it's in the top 50 in terms of popularity. However, a lot of people I meet for the first time still seem to think that I'm Jewish becaues of my name, so maybe it's mostly popular in the Jewish community?

My guess for a girl is something biblical but out there. Like Galilee. And then nick name her Lilee. 

And for a boy, I'm really hoping it's not Tozer. Ugh. 

1 hour ago, eveandadam said:

what will come next? nicknames, then old fashioned names, what is next? maybe Jessa and Ben have something going on there: taking last names as first names for babies. This could be new thing.

This comes up a lot, but Leo is a good example actually of a standalone name that people THINK is a nickname. Leo actually came first, and Leonard is a variation. Just shows how subjective names and naming can be.

See here and elsewhere: https://books.google.com/books?id=uSAlLaV6JIEC&pg=PA110&lpg=PA110&dq=leo+not+short+for+leonard&source=bl&ots=9xYiZsurX3&sig=UrseBETzmNYtiuIjRmPjKIFwqHk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9l4O73LDRAhXqy4MKHSHtCpQQ6AEIZTAP#v=onepage&q=leo not short for leonard&f=false

I like people naming their children whatever they want to name them. I'm not going to LIKE all of the names, but that's okay. In fact, I prefer when people use a name I wouldn't; that leaves the "good" name for me to use! 

But I don't like when people assume they know a name is a nickname, when actually just because something is shorter doesn't mean it didn't come first. That isn't how words/languages work. 

Last names as first name is already very popular (and always has been) where I'm from (southern United States). 

27 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

Huh?

Sorry, Basically the entire reason Batman decides to help Superman in that movie is because...*drumroll*...both of their mother's are named Martha. Easily one of the dumbest plot points ever which has now completely tainted the Martha name because that's all I think of.

And Batman gets all dramatic at one point and says "Martha's not going to die tonight!"

@eveandadam and @Babsi and all other German FJites.  my daughter named her beloved light green VW Otto.  She eventually wants to get another VW.  I don't know that it will be Otto II though.

6 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@eveandadam and @Babsi and all other German FJites.  my daughter named her beloved light green VW Otto.  She eventually wants to get another VW.  I don't know that it will be Otto II though.

Aww <3

I like to name my possessions too. Car has no name as of now but my computer is named Betsy :D

14 hours ago, coffeebean7 said:

I'm going to predict Balthazar if I t's a boy. I think they will go slightly more normal for girl names though. They are the type to go for cutesy girl names and save the 'serious' (albeit crazy) names for boys. 

Lol Balthazar reminds of an old polish cartoon. Balthazar Sponge (Baltazar Gąbka) was professor of "flying frogs". There was also a dragon in a Sherlock Holmes hat. Old good times...

I also knew 2 cats called Balthazar...she just can't name that baby this way! :pb_rollseyes:

2 hours ago, eveandadam said:

Depending on where you are, a lot of these are interpreted as full names. I had no idea that any of these aside from Leo and Annie were short for anything.

That said,  I've got an family member whose legal name is Sammy. Not Samuel. Sammy. We've also got a Bobby Joe who's not also Robert Joseph.

23 hours ago, Bugaboo said:

I definitely didn't mean it that way. I can see how it would be creepy though. But that wasn't my intention. Now I'm embarrassed.

I'm sorry people piled on...IMO 1 admonition is sufficient.

I don't think that a girl would be given a weird name. I think Jessa would put her foot down, and that Ben would acquiesce. 

I hope this kid is 10xs the spitfire that Jessa was.

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I know at least of a 55 year-old Elsa, at least it did exist here

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Although George, Martha, and Charlotte are a bit old-fashioned, I don't think it would be strange to find a young child with any of those names. To me, some really old-fashioned names that would seem odd would be names like Mildred, Orville, or Wilbur, or Gladys. YMMV, though. I'm reminded of the crack in "Designing Women" from the early 1990s about how odd it will be when everyone's grandmother is named something like Heather or Tiffany, which were the trendy names at the time. 

Charlotte is one of the more popular names in the U.S. right now, I think.

I like traditional names. I would consider names like George, Henry, Charlotte, Eleanor, etc. to be traditional. They are older put they stand the test of time (in my opinion.) And they don't necessarily scream a certain decade in the way a trendy name does (like the Heathers and Tiffanys of the 70's and 80's or the Jaydens and Haydens of the early 2000's.)

17 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Balthazar is one of the traditional names assigned to one of the Magi.  Caspar (Gaspar, Kaspar) and Melchior are the other two.  This seems appropriate to mention on the Feast of Epiphany.  Balthazar traditionally was said to have brought myrrh to the Christ Child.

The reason we named the cat Balthazar is because my husband found him, a teeny tiny kitten, on the street on Christmas Eve. If I ever have a white cat I'd want to name it Caspar the friendly ghost cat

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived