IGNORED

Jill, Derick, Israel and the latest Dillard- Part 23

samurai_sarah

20 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm no Bible scholar, but I never understand how fundies like Derick could take a description of a very self-sufficient woman who makes wise real estate/viticulture investments, helps the poor and needy, manages a household, and runs her own business, and interpret that to hold up subservient, uneducated, childlike women who never leave the house as the ideal woman.

Yes--- In the Duggar family the men are nothing without the women. Boobie gained political power and fame because his wife could breed like a champ. Anna made Smuggar more appealing with the cute kiddos and family "values" appearance, not to mention that the marriage itself may have delayed some of his story being told. The men that married into the family would not be known if it weren't for their Duggar wives. The women have the power, yet the men are the headships.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Trynn said:

Derek looks like he is totally about to stab some with that.

"It puts the lotion on its skin..."

On 12/24/2016 at 6:27 PM, socalrules said:

I doubt she has, or will be, screened for anything.

It seems many fundies, who so strongly advocate for the sanctity of the unborn, don't seem to actually do what is necessary to take care of their own unborn. They use unlicensed midwives with no real medical background to get them through their pregnancies. They do ultrasounds for the sole purpose of finding out if they need to buy huge flowered headbands. It seems like they are now trying to one up each other by not even having unlicensed midwives at their deliveries. I don't understand not wanting a real doctor or real nurse midwife monitoring your pregnancy. I worry I need to see a doctor every time I have the flu. I am always debating about if I am overreacting. If I was pregnant I would be the best patient a doctor could have. I would want them telling me what to do next doing every test they think is necessary. 

I know fundies leave it up to God but I don't see how they don't think about how God gave us great doctors for a reason. Maybe they should be utilizing the resources God has given them. Kind of like how they keep their children uneducated when those kids might have otherwise changed the world for the better. 

In my opinion the fundies have somehow perverted the 'crunchy' and organic naturalists on somethings, but of course do it without a lick of good sense. 

Even though I am a nurse and worked labor and delivery for several years, I honestly have no problem with home births, when done correctly.  Part of that includes ongoing, competent prenatal care that will be able to detect many potential issues that could result in high risk pregnancies, or predict a complicated labor.  Even with the absolute best prenatal care,  there is always the element of the unpredictable when it comes to childbirth, but it at least reduces that to a much lower risk of being unprepared.   

So, if there is good prenatal care, all signs point to things being a normal pregnancy, and the midwife is competent, then home delivery is fine with careful planning and well organized contingency plans.   

But the fundies put the whole religious spin on things and use that 'trusting in God" thing.  Now, I am not dissing religion or faith here, but the point is,  when you get signals that things aren't going well, that is your 'sign from God' to get your ass to the hospital.  God, has provided us with intelligence and critical thinking ability, and to refuse to use that, is a direct insult to God, imo.    People like the Duggars who pull that whole "God's plan" bullshit make me crazy.  God's Plan was to provide us with the basics.  Intelligence, Compassion, Empathy, Logic, etc.  I don't think God's plan was to micromanage our daily life.  It was to say, "My children, I have provided to you many gifts,  use them wisely to live and care for the earth, for all living things, for yourself and for others, even those you may not understand"  God never said 'My plan for you is for you to ignore your intelligence, to forget you have free will, and to only care for those live like and look like you do".

38 minutes ago, pooplexed said:

Yes--- In the Duggar family the men are nothing without the women. Boobie gained political power and fame because his wife could breed like a champ. Anna made Smuggar more appealing with the cute kiddos and family "values" appearance, not to mention that the marriage itself may have delayed some of his story being told. The men that married into the family would not be known if it weren't for their Duggar wives. The women have the power, yet the men are the headships.

Josh had zero appeal before Anna. He was never very attractive and always seemed smarmy and cocky. She humanized him and made him seem like, if nothing else, a devoted husband and father. I never could stand him and obviously his views were always repugnant but I really did think they were pretty happy together. He always seemed interested in her and the kids. He did a dumb thing on more than one level, and not just a moral one, when he screwed her over. 

Upthread someone posted that in several states it is illegal to attempt a VBAC at home and that Arkansas was one of those states. 

I am curious to know if that means that someone can be prosecuted for child endangerment if they attempt a VBAC at home?  Likely the midwife could be, but I wonder if the mother could be?

I want nothing but healthy babies for anyone who is pregnant, including Jill, but honestly, if she is dumb enough to try to VBAC at home, and ends up with a complication, I would hope that she and Derick would face some sort of charges for child endangerment because that is what it is. 

Unlike Jessa,  Jill has an unproven pelvis.  Yes, Izzy was huge, but there is no reason to suspect her next kid won't also be a big baby.  There is no evidence to support that Jill can deliver vaginally.  Izzy was transverse which likely means that he was never going to fit through her pelvis.  Often times malpresentations are a result of CPD, particularly transverse lie. 

With Jessa,  she birthed a large baby vaginally.  The labor itself seemed long, but fairly typical of a first time mom.  Her complication was after delivery, and only put herself at risk.  She should deliver in a hospital or a Birthing center connected to a hospital if she has that available to her, but I would be less worried about potential damage or birth trauma to the infant with Jessa than I am with Jill.     Izzy was at risk if the labor/birth details they shared are even close to the truth.  .

One more thing,  IN that video screen cap of the birth announcement, Jill looks sad.  I feel for her.  I think she must be experiencing a great deal of cognitive dissonance and because of her terrible upbringing she has limited skills for how to cope with that.    In the course of 2+ years she had a rushed marriage to a man she barely knew, whose mom was very sick and whose dad had died suddenly a few years before.  Then she had a honeymoon pregnancy and her delivery was long and complex and very different from what she probably believed would happen.  She then had her husband have a major surgery, and was probably put in the role of caretaker to him, while still recovering from her c/s and dealing with a newborn.  Then the molestation scandal broke, and who knows how that may have impacted her.  In fact, because these kids were never raised with a shred of insight, she probably doesn't even know how that impacted her.  Then she is forced by her parents to go public with the molestations, and somehow become a poster child for surviving molestation with that ridiculous first special.  She is whisked off to CA being woefully unprepared for life in a developing nation.  Her perception that it would be sunshine, beaches and rainbows from her previous missioncations, is not matching up to the reality of actually living there, not speaking the language, etc.  Then Derick seems to change.  He leaves her alone a lot,  he struggles with some sort of physical or mental ailment, that seems to have exacerbated his emerging radicalized fundie views.  Who knows how he is with her off screen.  I doubt he is abusive, but he may just be very odd.  Not a good support.  To me, it is obvious that he didn't appreciate just how unprepared his wife was for real life.   ( I hope Jeremy doesn't make that same mistake).    Then more scandals hit, then show is cancelled, sort of,  so the gravy train is less certain. 

Then ongoing decompensation with Derick as he gets thinner and odder.  And more isolation felt by Jill as she seems to become afraid of her own shadow. 

I just think that is a lot.  Yes,  Jill is mostly a dolt, but I think we have to think about just how poorly she was prepared for life by her own parents.  Their whole strategy of protecting and raising their children is a mess and a failure.  None (except Jinger because we don't know yet) are able to support themselves.  Michele's two daughters seem overwhelmed with caring for just a single child and seem to require lots of outside help.  ( Anna seems the most successful second generation parent and she is an inlaw).  While we see pictures of the boys doing odd jobs, none of them are supporting themselves.  By my count, that means that JB is supporting in some fashion, The following adult kids:  Josh, John-David, Jana, Jill (housing and perhaps in other ways), Jessa (at least with housing and probably through employing Ben), Joe, Josiah, Joy, Jed and Jer.  So,  Because of terrible parenting Jimbob and Michelle have 10 adult children who rely on JB for housing, income or both.  How is that considered a success by any means?  Soon Jason, and James will be joining the ranks of unemployed fully-abled young men.                                        

5 minutes ago, calimojo said:

Upthread someone posted that in several states it is illegal to attempt a VBAC at home and that Arkansas was one of those states. 

I am curious to know if that means that someone can be prosecuted for child endangerment if they attempt a VBAC at home?  Likely the midwife could be, but I wonder if the mother could be?

I want nothing but healthy babies for anyone who is pregnant, including Jill, but honestly, if she is dumb enough to try to VBAC at home, and ends up with a complication, I would hope that she and Derick would face some sort of charges for child endangerment because that is what it is. 

Unlike Jessa,  Jill has an unproven pelvis.  Yes, Izzy was huge, but there is no reason to suspect her next kid won't also be a big baby.  There is no evidence to support that Jill can deliver vaginally.  Izzy was transverse which likely means that he was never going to fit through her pelvis.  Often times malpresentations are a result of CPD, particularly transverse lie. 

With Jessa,  she birthed a large baby vaginally.  The labor itself seemed long, but fairly typical of a first time mom.  Her complication was after delivery, and only put herself at risk.  She should deliver in a hospital or a Birthing center connected to a hospital if she has that available to her, but I would be less worried about potential damage or birth trauma to the infant with Jessa than I am with Jill.     Izzy was at risk if the labor/birth details they shared are even close to the truth.  .

One more thing,  IN that video screen cap of the birth announcement, Jill looks sad.  I feel for her.  I think she must be experiencing a great deal of cognitive dissonance and because of her terrible upbringing she has limited skills for how to cope with that.    In the course of 2+ years she had a rushed marriage to a man she barely knew, whose mom was very sick and whose dad had died suddenly a few years before.  Then she had a honeymoon pregnancy and her delivery was long and complex and very different from what she probably believed would happen.  She then had her husband have a major surgery, and was probably put in the role of caretaker to him, while still recovering from her c/s and dealing with a newborn.  Then the molestation scandal broke, and who knows how that may have impacted her.  In fact, because these kids were never raised with a shred of insight, she probably doesn't even know how that impacted her.  Then she is forced by her parents to go public with the molestations, and somehow become a poster child for surviving molestation with that ridiculous first special.  She is whisked off to CA being woefully unprepared for life in a developing nation.  Her perception that it would be sunshine, beaches and rainbows from her previous missioncations, is not matching up to the reality of actually living there, not speaking the language, etc.  Then Derick seems to change.  He leaves her alone a lot,  he struggles with some sort of physical or mental ailment, that seems to have exacerbated his emerging radicalized fundie views.  Who knows how he is with her off screen.  I doubt he is abusive, but he may just be very odd.  Not a good support.  To me, it is obvious that he didn't appreciate just how unprepared his wife was for real life.   ( I hope Jeremy doesn't make that same mistake).    Then more scandals hit, then show is cancelled, sort of,  so the gravy train is less certain. 

Then ongoing decompensation with Derick as he gets thinner and odder.  And more isolation felt by Jill as she seems to become afraid of her own shadow. 

I just think that is a lot.  Yes,  Jill is mostly a dolt, but I think we have to think about just how poorly she was prepared for life by her own parents.  Their whole strategy of protecting and raising their children is a mess and a failure.  None (except Jinger because we don't know yet) are able to support themselves.  Michele's two daughters seem overwhelmed with caring for just a single child and seem to require lots of outside help.  ( Anna seems the most successful second generation parent and she is an inlaw).  While we see pictures of the boys doing odd jobs, none of them are supporting themselves.  By my count, that means that JB is supporting in some fashion, The following adult kids:  Josh, John-David, Jana, Jill (housing and perhaps in other ways), Jessa (at least with housing and probably through employing Ben), Joe, Josiah, Joy, Jed and Jer.  So,  Because of terrible parenting Jimbob and Michelle have 10 adult children who rely on JB for housing, income or both.  How is that considered a success by any means?  Soon Jason, and James will be joining the ranks of unemployed fully-abled young men.                                        

I'm oddly glad that you said Derick seems "radicalized". That's pretty much the word I was looking for about his beliefs, but I couldn't put my finger on it. He's a far cry now from the kind of dorky-but-cute accounting professional who bummed around Nepal for a bit and loved to snuggle with Jill. Damn, Central America, what happened?

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

"It puts the lotion on its skin..."

exactly it is just an IT not a person 

1 hour ago, calimojo said:

and that goes with my thought again 

they never prepared for the future that way - they only saw having the babies and the Jslaves raising the babies 

those babies are now adults - and those adults need to leave but because they created this tribe and cult 

they can't leave so it's an round about sort of mess which will never go away 

it's a circle of distraction that they will never admit to. 

It can't be easy to live in that house... the only reason Jessa goes back is because what is she going to do all day by herself - clean her own house - so she needs the chaos that goes with everything... again Ben is interchangeable and now Derick is as well... they are extensions new Duggars. 

58 minutes ago, calimojo said:

The rest of your post is really insightful but I'm just laughing so hard about "unproven pelvis." It sounds like a fake medical condition you could use to get out of having sex.

41 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm oddly glad that you said Derick seems "radicalized". That's pretty much the word I was looking for about his beliefs, but I couldn't put my finger on it. He's a far cry now from the kind of dorky-but-cute accounting professional who bummed around Nepal for a bit and loved to snuggle with Jill. Damn, Central America, what happened?

I have been using Radicalized to describe Derick since about the time he posted the Santa Clause tweet.  It is possibly he has always been radicalized, but he seems to have let the facade of normalcy drop off lately.  I suspect  he is experiencing some mental instability relative to his declining health or at least maintaining his body at an unhealthy weight. Being chronically malnourished or significantly underweight, changes a persons cognitive functioning.  They become more black and white with their thinking,  lack insight and filters, and that is what we have seen with Derick.  He probably has had extremist ideas for a long time, but he was able to maintain a patina of being a 'go with the flow, easy going Christian dude, who wanted to help people find Jesus".  But cracks in that patina are showing, and we are seeing Derick without filters at times.  Now that we have also seen the nasty side of Cathy, we can see that the beliefs that Derick has and supports have probably been with him for awhile. 

I think it is possible we may see more trouble with Derick.  I fear that he is not very stable.  And, I have little faith that jill or the Duggars would be smart enough to see that.  THeir shared delusion of religious fundamentalism actually disguises mental issues with religious fervor.  JB will only get concerned if it threatens the brand.  I don't think Derick is dangerous, just that I don't think he is in the best of mental health and he has sadly chosen to surround himself by people who are unlikely to help  him.  Jill has lost her spark and it doesn't seem as if anyone in the family is reaching out to help her either.  I hope that isn't the case, but it probably is.

12 minutes ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

The rest of your post is really insightful but I'm just laughing so hard about "unproven pelvis." It sounds like a fake medical condition you could use to get out of having sex.

LOL,  actually unproven pelvis is an OB term.  Not sure it is a true technical term, but it loosely means that a baby has never passed through the pelvis before.  Any woman having her first baby has an unproven pelvis.  How that could impact medical decisions for a first time mom, for example could be if the baby was breech.  In a woman that has delivered at least 1 good sized baby vaginally, an Obstetrician might be willing to attempt a breech delivery vaginally, but in a woman with an 'unproven' pelvis, they are more likely to recommend a c/s because you have to have a very favorable pelvis in order to fit a breech through it. 

For a VBAC,  if the woman delivered a baby vaginally, and then had a second child via C/S for some reason,  the OB might be more open to a VBAC because the pelvis is proven to accommodate a baby.  Also, even if the woman has an unproven pelvis,  OBs are less likely to recommend VBAC if the C/S was done because the baby wouldn't fit down the pelvis.  If the C/S was done because of concern for Fetal Distress, they might consider doing a VBAC because there is no proof that the pelvis is inadequate.

Guys, GUYS my mom is doing missionary work in Mexico. I don’t know the specifics, but she mentioned teaching Mexican women to sew and bible themed games with children. and how yummy the food is... that is prepared for her by the local house cook.

She moved back to her home state where my very religious Aunts (her two sisters and sister in law) live after my dad dank himself to death last year. She hadn’t been a regular church goer for 25 years. 

she is non to bright nor enlightened. She is Lutheran, her mother was Catholic so she dosn't have anything against them. She thinks it is the same-ish religion.  I doubt that she will ever drift far in to fundamentalism but I’m sorry to the people of Mexico just the same. 

The Dullard/Duggar missionaries really piss me off. The churches here locally, even the fundie ones, when they do mission trips, they go for a purpose. Those purposes include building houses, bringing in potable water and sewer lines (or digging for septic), building/refurbishing orphanages, medical missions (vaccinations, etc). ONE of the requirements for the people who go to Mexico or CA is that they have to speak at least SOME Spanish (not that unusual around here). Most of the mission trips to Mexico also involve renting trucks to bring in building supplies, school supplies, clothing, food, etc. 

I know I've mentioned before that we have friends who are MDs who gave up fairly lucrative practices here in the US to work at a hospital/clinic in Cambodia. They're still there. They learned the language, their kids have learned the language and they are bringing medical care to people who would have otherwise had to travel for days to get any medical care at all. 

THOSE are the missionaries I can respect. The Dullard/Duggar sort...not so much. 

But, but, the Duggars bring cheap toys and candy. You mean that's not enough? And they sing and put on skits in English so no one can understand them.

Agreed. They are pathetic.

ETA I forgot about the nail polish.

One of the churches that was quite dominant in the Christian school I worked in sponsored youth mission trips to CA/SA. One of their main activities was doing elaborate pantomimes to Christian pop songs (always English language ones) on street corners. They referred to the productions as "human videos". 

They would do chapel services at the school where they would "world premiere" their latest "human video" done by the college age students who were part of their cultic ministry training program. It is apparently a thing in the Assembly of God and some other similar denominations. They even have national competitions. You can find the weirdness on youtube if you want to laugh or be traumatized. Or some combination thereof. 

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

The Dullard/Duggar missionaries really piss me off. The churches here locally, even the fundie ones, when they do mission trips, they go for a purpose. Those purposes include building houses, bringing in potable water and sewer lines (or digging for septic), building/refurbishing orphanages, medical missions (vaccinations, etc). ONE of the requirements for the people who go to Mexico or CA is that they have to speak at least SOME Spanish (not that unusual around here). Most of the mission trips to Mexico also involve renting trucks to bring in building supplies, school supplies, clothing, food, etc. 

I know I've mentioned before that we have friends who are MDs who gave up fairly lucrative practices here in the US to work at a hospital/clinic in Cambodia. They're still there. They learned the language, their kids have learned the language and they are bringing medical care to people who would have otherwise had to travel for days to get any medical care at all. 

THOSE are the missionaries I can respect. The Dullard/Duggar sort...not so much. 

The thing about not knowing the language really irritates me. Immersion courses are easy to find. It just reminds me how ridiculous Jil is. She has been putting up signs in Spanish for years and even supposedly took lessons from a friend and still can't speak the language. Lazy! I mean c'mon there are learning aids that won't lead to the ebil sedular world. lol

9 hours ago, Trynn said:

Derek looks like he is totally about to stab some with that.

Really he looks like he's gonna try to stab someone with it, but is way too high to hit a target and will just fall over and sleep for 48 hours.

On 12/30/2016 at 1:23 PM, Adrienne83 said:

My husband is a nurse, and when he had to do that clinical he was weirded out too. The reason was because of how patients treated him. So many women would NOT let a male nurse/nursing student even look at them on the maternity floor. One of the nurses even had him check a teen girl so the he could "show her what I real man is like, give her a roll model, and talk some sense into her." He has/had no idea what any of that meant. The patient wasn't married, so, maybe that had something to do with it? For him it just sucked that he was walking into a situation where people didn't want him right off the bat, when all he was doing was just trying to be professional and learn, ya know?

I've said it before, but if you are cool with the 1 male OBGYN in a practice full of women, you can always get an appointment right away. I LOVE that. Same happens with massages for some reason. haha

On 12/30/2016 at 3:59 PM, DaniLouisiana said:

@Adrienne83, I thank the powers that be for male nurses like your husband! I always have preferred to get a "murse"(Kiddo's word) when taking Kiddo to the ER. They always are less dismissive when I tell them how to deal with Kiddo's anxiety disorder. I'm not treated like a "hystronic" mother. I know my kid,  I've been dealing with his disorder for 20+ years now what works and what makes it worse-the male nurses always listen and do whatever they need to do to make it easier both themselves and my kid without getting pissy or bitchy.

Thank you! We call him that too. He even has a shirt with that on it, lol. :P

DFO just posted some new years eve pictures and Jill and Derick are in the background of some 

Jill doesn't look that big and Derick needs a haircut 

Derick looks like he wants to start talking about how awesome and with it Charles (Manson) is.

5 hours ago, nst said:

DFO just posted some new years eve pictures and Jill and Derick are in the background of some 

Jill doesn't look that big and Derick needs a haircut 

It's their annual New Year's Eve bash. I see Austin there, Jenny Hartono, and Dr. Paine holding a baby, possibly Brooklyn. No sign of JinJer which is a good thing.

22 hours ago, calimojo said:

So the idea that it's "illegal" is a bit of a misnomer because it's *never* illegal to just give birth at home, VBAC or not. That would make no sense because some babies just come out, people have babies on the side of the road or in a remote rural area with no insurance pretty regularly (god bless our insurance system, sigh), some people don't even know they're pregnant or would have no way of paying for care if they did-- trying to prosecute those "cases" would be a nightmare and put a ton of people into the system. It would basically just put a whole lot of impoverished women in jail.

It *is* illegal in some states/some hospitals and other medical practices for midwives or doctors to attend VBAC births. Unfortunately that doesn't always have the desired effect and sometimes results in a lot of unattended births and less medical care for people who are dedicated to attempting a VBAC. It's a weird, difficult set of policies.

I'm really curious about what Jill will choose. Maybe she'll even go to another state? I can't imagine her going conventional with her birth plan.

Jill and Derrick: the Velcro people. 

What's wrong with this picture? It made me smile. Derrick has been acting so strange that a picture of him still loving and being loving to his wife is a good thing imho. It's candid, they aren't making out, he's just hugging his wife. I see nothing inappropriate.

18 hours ago, feministxtian said:

The church I used to go to had this massive ongoing project where they would provide support and resources to women who were victims of sex trafficking in Cambodia(? or the Philippines, I can't remember). I recall being pretty impressed that they would be getting involved in something so heavy.

55 minutes ago, Destiny said:

What's wrong with this picture? It made me smile. Derrick has been acting so strange that a picture of him still loving and being loving to his wife is a good thing imho. It's candid, they aren't making out, he's just hugging his wife. I see nothing inappropriate.

I like seeing the candid photo of them seeming to act like a real, normal couple.  But the way he looks in the photo just screams "1970's porn actor" to me.  I am just being honest, not trying to slam his appearance or be a judgmental bitch.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived