IGNORED

The Invisible Jinger (and Her Preacher Man Jeremy)

choralcrusader8613

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I'm kind of on the fence about the Duggar girls having a lot to lose if they wore pants. I don't think there would be major repercussions if Joy decided To go with pants after she marries Austin and is always at their camp. It's just practical and I bet most would understand. Maybe Jinger would have more blow back since she's a pastor's wife and is used as an example. 

Did you watch that World's Strictest Parents episode with Austin's family?  That dad is something else, and that mom doesn't seem to have much happiness nor freedom.  They are involved in running Christian retreats for families at that camp.  Practical or not,  Joy will be wearing skirts for the foreseeable future.  

1) I'm surprised Jinger doesn't want an instagram considering she actually likes taking photos. 

2) whenever I see the Duhlard's cringey bedroom photo, I think of that post who wrote a quick 50 Shades of Grey version.

3) Jinger's hair looks so much like Mullet's in that picture. It's not a good look.

I wonder how Jessa has to be feeling right now to have her sister/best friend so far away and 'potentially' drifting away into an entirely different life? 

It can't be easy for Jessa, that's for sure. 

And I do feel badly for her, because I do think that if Jessa loves anyone, it's Jinger- maybe even more then she does Ben. 

I agree that pants don't change ideology by any means or make them better as people. But we know the duggars are all about public image. If a duggar daughter started publically posting in pants/tank tops/etc. I wouldn't think they are moving towards being "fundie light" or are having a better life (because they are still denied education, careers, personal identity). But it would mean making a public separation from their parents and upbringing and I think it would actually be a big deal in the media and among leghumpers, who would lose their shit over it. 

2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I know this topic has been discussed to death (but then that's true of a lot of topics here :pb_lol:) but I disagree with people who say that starting to wear pants means nothing. It definitely doesn't mean they have changed their whole belief system (I know multiple IBLP families where the women wear pants and don't dress noticeably differently than anyone else), but it is significant when those girls have been raised to only wear skirts. It shows, just a very tiny bit, that they are thinking for themselves and challenging the rules they were raised with.

Anecdotally I knew a fundie family that was skirts only. The first external sign that they were moving away from being strictly fundie was that the women started wearing pants. They are still conservative Christians but now they aren't as strict and the girls have actually gone out on their own and gotten jobs and further education. I was really surprised and impressed by the changes that family made because they had been one of the strictest fundie families I knew.

And I know the reverse. This was a couple that started coming to a church we attended for about 10 years. It was a plant church much like Jeremy has that met in high school gym, stated out with about 50 people in 20 ish families.  They had 2 small kids, like the rest of us, they were non practicing Catholics, so I had a lot in common with them & her & I became friends as well.  The church was/is E Free Non Denominational typical conservative christian church. They were both saved baptized  & quickly became very active in the church with in 3 years he was a deacon and she was pregnant with baby #4, and wearing nothing but skirts and dresses.  We stopped spending as much time together because I wasn't "Godly enough" meaning I swear, drink, read dirty books, watch TV & movies etc... She started homeschooling the kids they got rid of their TVs and radios and computers.  They eventually started arguing with the pastor and many other members & deacons & left the church for a Fundamentalist church, last I heard about 5 or so years ago they had 8 kids and had moved to southern Missouri. 

3 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I agree that pants don't change ideology by any means or make them better as people. But we know the duggars are all about public image. If a duggar daughter started publically posting in pants/tank tops/etc. I wouldn't think they are moving towards being "fundie light" or are having a better life (because they are still denied education, careers, personal identity). But it would mean making a public separation from their parents and upbringing and I think it would actually be a big deal in the media and among leghumpers, who would lose their shit over it. 

Then I guess it's possible Joy could wear pants but not post pictures of it. I honestly can't imagine working at that place day after day and always wearing skirts. It's just so completely impractical. 

I just want to point out that you can perm your hair at different levels of tightness. Just bc her hair isn't as curly as it was in like 2007 when we saw her getting permed on the show, it still could be permed.  They could just be using a thicker rod for looser curls.  To me, her hair still looks permed (and I get mine permed 1x/year).  I know hair changes over time, but not that drastically, from straight to super curly. Plus in that pic, she looks like she is still wearing the crunchy hair gel look.

8 minutes ago, RabbitKM said:

I just want to point out that you can perm your hair at different levels of tightness. Just bc her hair isn't as curly as it was in like 2007 when we saw her getting permed on the show, it still could be permed.  They could just be using a thicker rod for looser curls.  To me, her hair still looks permed (and I get mine permed 1x/year).  I know hair changes over time, but not that drastically, from straight to super curly. Plus in that pic, she looks like she is still wearing the crunchy hair gel look.

My hair went from stick straight to super curly in my early teens. At the time, I didn't realize it because I was perming my hair. One day i just realized the perm wasn't growing out and I stopped. It has been 20 + years since I have permed my hair and it is the curliest it has ever been. My oldest daughter's hair is doing the same, only hers was wavy as a baby and then went straight as she got older. She'll be 13 in 2 weeks and she now has soft curls.

So, based on the article, Jinger's husband may allow her to wear pants and maybe have alcohol? So another man will still be making the decisions as to what she can and cannot do. It drives me nuts that someone making decisions for her is seen as progress. It's like having a Daddy-husband. He may say he doesn't mind if she wears pants or drinks alcohol but he is still making the decision to allow her to do so because if he said no, she wouldn't be allowed to do it. She will always follow what he wants as a submissive wife. 

Interesting sermon. A lot of it is a nice change from the Duggars' legalism. Still...

“It is not your liberty, women, to wear sensual, seductive clothing that is designed to draw the attention of your brothers,” Jeremy said.

:pb_rollseyes:

It's my liberty to wear what I please and if my "brothers" can't control themselves that's their sin. Not mine! Sermons on clothes and alcohol pale in comparison to the sermons disregarding equal rights for everyone. It makes me sick. I am busy altering my mind and shall continue to do so. 

5 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

“It is not your liberty, women, to wear sensual, seductive clothing that is designed to draw the attention of your brothers,” Jeremy said.

Or I have a better idea, a woman can wear what she likes, what she feels good in, and men can stop being pigs. 

5 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

But does anyone get that slightly crunchy mechelle hair with Jinger's hair in this photo?

I don't anymore because I know how to care for my curls but I used to. Too much product. The curly girl handbook saved my hair. 

Regarding the line, "sensual, seductive clothing that is designed to draw the attention of your brothers," I think a lot of men need to learn that not everything women do is for them. I see so often where a man interjects his opinion on what is or is not attractive -- makeup, clothes, weight, whatever -- as if his arousal is what women care about most. Newsflash: when women get dressed often they're not thinking of men at all!

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

How about men not defrauding women? Guys can look pretty sexy too.

Pics, or it didn't happen! ;):D

One can only hope she will wear blue jeans and drink a glass of wine while she is sitting in class, soaking up all the world has to offer

56 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wow! Jinger has her headship's permission to wear pants and drink wine. I may never recover from this.

I'm stoked to hear this! I wonder if any of her sisters will follow suit if Jinger decides to take that message to heart, or if it will cause a rift (if her siblings decide they are "holier than thou" for instance and look down on her for it). But I like that Jeremy is cracking down on the petty judging in this family, it's about time a new headship made some waves in JB's world. 

Just thinking about how JB looked at Jerjinger with loathing in that video when they were engaged and draped around one another with an eff  you vibe about them... I think that's why he made that crack about Jer not being able to support Jinger's thrift store habit.

Also, just ftr I think Jeremy is a bit of an ass, and am not happy that he has any sort of religious influence over people... I'm just glad that he's causing waves for JB, who, in my opinion, is even more of an ass. An abusive, controlling ass. Anything that makes his life a bit more annoying the better.

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

And I know the reverse. This was a couple that started coming to a church ....

We stopped spending as much time together because I wasn't "Godly enough" meaning I swear, drink, read dirty books, watch TV & movies etc... 

This makes me laugh and smh at the same time. Fundie are soooo threatened by people who live life how they choose.

2 hours ago, socalrules said:

So, based on the article, Jinger's husband may allow her to wear pants and maybe have alcohol? So another man will still be making the decisions as to what she can and cannot do. It drives me nuts that someone making decisions for her is seen as progress. It's like having a Daddy-husband. He may say he doesn't mind if she wears pants or drinks alcohol but he is still making the decision to allow her to do so because if he said no, she wouldn't be allowed to do it. She will always follow what he wants as a submissive wife. 

I definitely don't think it would be seen as progress in the rest of the country. But for these people, at least it's a tiny bit of something. I am hoping Jeremy is basically going to "let" Jinger decide how she dresses. I mean, obviously he wants her to dress "modestly" and honestly, she probably prefers to be modest as well. (Which is perfectly fine. Many women prefer to dress more on the modest side even if they aren't in a freaky-deaky religion.) But maybe she has expressed interest in wearing pants and whatnot and his sermon is just a "heads up" to any of the people in her family or whatever that might criticize her for it.

I would love to know what JB and Michelle think of this sermon.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived