IGNORED

The Invisible Jinger (and Her Preacher Man Jeremy)

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, SHERA said:

Oh TFDW and Waller Wednesday! That was so much fun! Anyone know if FakeJoshDuggar is on FJ?

I don't think he is? I remember he started a wordpress blog after IG kicked him off but he never updated it. 

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goodwill is...not a good company. Besides everything you can find on the internet about them,  they don't keep things in the community. In our coastal, economically depressed town, we have some very wealthy people, some professional people who make a good living. So there are some nice things being donated, but Goodwill picks them off and sends them to the "fancy" Goodwill in Portland,  leaving locals to buy old Walmart shirts at about the same price they were when new. Grrrrr. End rant.

I've heard rumors that Goodwill jacked up their prices during the recession.

I have a fancy Goodwill in my neighborhood. They gave it a new name and it looks like any other consignment boutique, which are pretty popular around here. Locals were pissed when they realized it was a GW because they thought it was a bit underhanded to come in with a phoney cutesy fictional backstory for social media about two ladies, also fictional, who run the shop. Fictionally. :pb_lol:

I know the thing about Salvation Army being anti-LGBT, there was a huge fuss made when they recruited the Red Wings to do a red kettle fundraiser. Unfortunately nothing else in the area is even comparable to their selection and prices. 

On 12/25/2016 at 5:17 PM, Scribber said:

Yep, he seems like the average evangelical pastor to me. (And I worked for an evangelical mega church for a long time... I have met/interacted more of this type than I care to admit.)

For me what's squicky about Jeremy is what his intentions with Jinger might be. I am thinking it's growing his congregation, but who knows?

I don't see him as nasty Fundie as the Duggars. (I don't agree with 90% of the crap he says - but that goes for the church as a whole too.) sure those beliefs are dangerous, but so is about 1/2 of our society right now :(

I truly just wonder what his endgame is.

It just occurred to me that as a young evangelical pastor, he needed a wife and needed one asap. In my time in that world, I knew of churches that would not hire single pastors. I knew a few young men seeking ministry jobs that could not get hired anywhere, even with real educational credentials, because they were not married. If he wanted to continue to grow his congregation, being married would make it easier. And going and getting a girl from the no dating/courtship world is a lot faster and less complicated than dating, building a relationship for a year or more, then marrying in the more conventional way. Plus, he instantly got a pile of points for his devotion to purity and credibility to preach that to his congregation in spite of his past. 

What a weirdly awkward video. I wish we could have seen the genuine, behind closed doors, reaction from Jeremy's parents.  What an awkward conversation to have on camera. How much experience do his parents have with TV? The retakes and rehashing of these "genuine moments" has to be so tiresome for the Duggars, but for people who haven't done this for a large part of their life, it's got to be downright weird. 

RE: Goodwill - I used to love Goodwill when I lived in a place that had Goodwill. They tended to keep the stuff in the store that it was donated in, which was nice.

Salvation army shipped everything to a central location and parceled it out, plus they were a lot more expensive, and I hated that everything was organized by color, not size. Also, Salvation Army stores always seem to smell and don't have very good lighting; Goodwills tend to be cleaner and have nice bright lights and are organized in a manner that is pleasing to me. 

However, in the last 10 years, Goodwill seems to be going downhill. They started listing their nicer items online, the days of finding a vintage Lilly Pulitzer for $3 while a crappy old navy with tags had a $10 price tag is over. :( I also hate that Goodwill apparently employs people at well below minimum wage and then talks about all the "good" they do. 

3 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

What a weirdly awkward video. I wish we could have seen the genuine, behind closed doors, reaction from Jeremy's parents.  What an awkward conversation to have on camera. How much experience do his parents have with TV? The retakes and rehashing of these "genuine moments" has to be so tiresome for the Duggars, but for people who haven't done this for a large part of their life, it's got to be downright weird. 

RE: Goodwill - I used to love Goodwill when I lived in a place that had Goodwill. They tended to keep the stuff in the store that it was donated in, which was nice.

Salvation army shipped everything to a central location and parceled it out, plus they were a lot more expensive, and I hated that everything was organized by color, not size. Also, Salvation Army stores always seem to smell and don't have very good lighting; Goodwills tend to be cleaner and have nice bright lights and are organized in a manner that is pleasing to me. 

However, in the last 10 years, Goodwill seems to be going downhill. They started listing their nicer items online, the days of finding a vintage Lilly Pulitzer for $3 while a crappy old navy with tags had a $10 price tag is over. :( I also hate that Goodwill apparently employs people at well below minimum wage and then talks about all the "good" they do. 

Our local Goodwill was recently the subject of a series of investigative articles in the nearest large newspaper about extensive financial corruption. I will no longer donate there and will not ever buy there again. 

Just now, louisa05 said:

Our local Goodwill was recently the subject of a series of investigative articles in the nearest large newspaper about extensive financial corruption. I will no longer donate there and will not ever buy there again. 

I don't shop at thrift stores anymore, due to location (I hate how dirty the Salvation Army is, we JUST got a Goodwill this year, and Value Village has a really annoying parking lot, and it's the same price at all three places as shopping the clearance rack or ordering clothes online from discount singapore sites), so those were just my observations over the past few years. My mom loves to go to Goodwill when I visit though. 

My Kiddo works at Goodwill and whatever else they are they allow my son to be himself. The manager makes sure that the Kiddo's crew's name tags all have their preferred names. The manager has also thrown customers out of the store that use hate speech or hassle the kids. So whatever else...I appreciate that!

I donate to our local thrift stores because everything stays local, and I know what they do for the community.

(not so) Fun Fact:

Most of the clothing donated to charity (including Goodwill, SA and other local consignment stores) gets sent overseas to developing countries where they are resold to the local population for profit. This often negatively affects local textile and clothing businesses because they cannot compete with the cheap foreign clothing. 

Edited to say that the real problem isn't a clothing deficit per say but that we as a society consume way too much. All of these popular clothing donation business just make people feel like they're helping without really doing anything. It is a very effective way of alleviating guilt about how much we consume. 

If you really want to help people in need give them items that they have specified they need or send them money. 

3 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Fun Fact:

Most of the clothes donated to 'charity' (including Goodwill, SA and other local consignment stores) gets sent overseas to developing countries where they are resold to the local population for profit. This often negatively affects local textile and clothing businesses because they cannot compete with the cheap foreign clothing. 

I heard this a while ago and have not donated clothing since. Instead we do clothing swaps with friends/community and that way clothing basically get's used up until it's rags and then the clothing gets turned into literal rags. Also thanks to two self-employed entrepreneur parents I am a total locavore also and try(try being the keyword!) to only shop and buy local(although my definition of local is pretty broad mostly nothing from Asia/Africa. Not sure that makes me a horrible person but it works for me!) 

I almost bought a mink coat at Goodwill for $10 once.  This was in the fall of '73 and I felt kind of funny about buying it because "furs look better on their original owners'.  (I still believe that, btw, but I also liked the movie The World of Henry Orient where one of the characters ran around in her mom's old mink and a Chinese hat.  Yep, I was weird!)  The mink had a Strawbridge label in it.  I didn't get the mink, but I bought a pair of brown orthopedic oxfords, size 4 1/2.  I wore those shoes for years.  IIRC, I paid a quarter for them.

My favorite Goodwill score of many: I have been an Enid Collins (wooden box purses, 60s) fan for many years, and never thought I'd find one. There it was one day, behind the counter... a signed EC Collins of TExas box purse, Roadrunner II. Missing a few jewels, but the handle and most of the wood was GREAT!  I asked to look at it, sighed, and regretfully handed it back. It had a $25 tag on it. What I MEANT to do was to come back for it after I'd scoured the store for other stuff. The clerk, not in the know, or not a fan, said, "I'll give it to you for $5."

SOLD!! Within two hours, I'd bought replacement jewels on eBay!! This is now my craft/beading/jewelry repair tote!!

ETA: it's way too small to be a purse for me LOL!

I have a family member who works at goodwill after a run of bad luck due to mental illness. Goodwill has been a blessing to him and his wife and child. And the programs they have in our local community are amazing too.

So while they have their share of negative? I have also seen huge benefits of the organization.

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

We don't donate to the Goodwill anymore. We typically take donations to Hand Me Ups - http://www.angelguardians.org/Hand_Me_Ups.html

On 12/21/2016 at 3:43 PM, Stokstaartje said:

Happy birthday!! This makes us Duggar b-day triples! 

w are Quads!!  12/21 was my birthday as well!

3 minutes ago, awkwardblackchick said:

Pretty close to me...I'll be keeping an eye out for them...guess  they are visiting his parents

On 12/23/2016 at 8:24 PM, RabbitKM said:

I just want to point out that you can perm your hair at different levels of tightness. Just bc her hair isn't as curly as it was in like 2007 when we saw her getting permed on the show, it still could be permed.  They could just be using a thicker rod for looser curls.  To me, her hair still looks permed (and I get mine permed 1x/year).  I know hair changes over time, but not that drastically, from straight to super curly. Plus in that pic, she looks like she is still wearing the crunchy hair gel look.

Puberty did exactly this to my hair.  It was stick straight until I was 13, then it went crazy and got SUPER curly.  If I knew how to add pictures to this I would.  So...hair CAN change that drastically!

Bet we're gonna see a whole lot of photos cut off at the waist for Jinger now. For various reason: pants and baby bump speculation.

On 12/23/2016 at 8:24 PM, RabbitKM said:

I just want to point out that you can perm your hair at different levels of tightness. Just bc her hair isn't as curly as it was in like 2007 when we saw her getting permed on the show, it still could be permed.  They could just be using a thicker rod for looser curls.  To me, her hair still looks permed (and I get mine permed 1x/year).  I know hair changes over time, but not that drastically, from straight to super curly. Plus in that pic, she looks like she is still wearing the crunchy hair gel look.

Nah, she said that her hair is now naturally curly in that (terrible) hair straightening tutorial she gave

I'm grateful Jinger got to spend Christmas with Jeremy's family -- a different experience for her, fewer people, quieter I'm assuming.  Perhaps getting to know his brother and sister a bit, talk with them about their careers.   Also perhaps they got to explore fun things in and around Philadelphia in addition to the gardens (City, please!).  Happy for her on those counts.

I was just telling my family how I wanted to go to Longwood Gardens this week too, but I'm hoping he does take her around Philly as well as having the tiniest bit of hope that it may open her eyes?

About Goodwill...

Many of the people they hire that are disabled are often getting other benefits and if they make too much money, they can lose their benefits. So, Goodwill (among other places) will pay less than minimum wage so their workers can keep their benefits also. Goodwill has helped us during our time of broke-ass almost homelessness including paying for hubby's phlebotomy class, including his scrubs, background checks, license fees and gave us gas cards when we were running low on gas (and funds). Because of the program that hubby is in, they will help us for a YEAR to get us/him established and on our feet. 

So...folks might fuss about Goodwill, but without Goodwill, we'd have been screwed on numerous occasions. They also provide support including financial support for woman leaving DV situations, helping homeless get housed, etc. So...don't give a crap what anyone says, Goodwill does shitloads of good things for many people, including us. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived