IGNORED

Maxhell Part 6 - Boring you to death since...

samurai_sarah

We had an avocado fridge and stove. We also had gold carpet in the living room which my mother called "shit brindle", whatever that meant! 

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard the term shit brindle before, but I never knew what it meant. 

In 1981, my orthodontist's waiting room had black and yellow shag carpeting. My friend called it smashed bumblebees. 

@nomoxian, We looked at a house with an almost totally black bathroom.  Not only were the fixtures black, but the wallpaper was black with flowers.  It was made worse by the fact that it was an interior room with no windows.  Who is the hell makes a black bathroom with no windows or skylight?  I put the kibosh on that house just because of that bathroom.

On 12/20/2016 at 5:50 PM, Black Aliss said:

I think she's in her mid-20's. She wants to study to become a certified nursing assistant. I wish her nothing but the best.

I don't have her blog link anymore. Can you post?

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@nomoxian, We looked at a house with an almost totally black bathroom.  Not only were the fixtures black, but the wallpaper was black with flowers.  It was made worse by the fact that it was an interior room with no windows.  Who is the hell makes a black bathroom with no windows or skylight?  I put the kibosh on that house just because of that bathroom.

I would too. You can't see the spiders if everything is black. 

On 1/5/2017 at 8:58 PM, freejugar said:

dadandmom.jpg

this pic is so sad. none of their daughters will ever even get in a wedding dress

I have seen that pic before but never noticed it looks like Anna and John getting married. @johnhugh where are YOU???

On 1/7/2017 at 5:48 PM, formergothardite said:

They started out with IBLP and then branched out to do it on their own. I guess now that business is way down they are going to go back to the cult. 

And Gothard is "gone", too, so that might make it more palatable to Steeeeeve. Fewer patriarchs with which to tussle ala his Pearl bitch fight. They did attend some Duggar event or the other, a graduation maybe?? It was not that long ago.

On 1/7/2017 at 8:36 PM, HermioneSparrow said:

Still, Stevie will NEVER EVER let those girls marry, sadly that's never gonna happen. I do hope there's some fundie boy who will jump through hoops to get a Maxwell girl but the likelihood of that happening is none to zero.

ALSO, Why in the world are the Maxwells speaking at a IBLP conference??? They're not ATI.

They were involved years ago.

On 1/11/2017 at 9:27 AM, itsme said:

Oh Maxwells ... Or more precisely Steve, his new post is so very WEIRD. Not the first part (also weird, but not more than usual), but the addendum "Follow-on thought for Dads". I have several thoughts on this:

1. Is he trying to tell fathers they are bad fathers if they don't go to bed at the same time as they're children?

2. It sounds like he gets A LOT of letters from angry mothers who are complaining that they're husbands are not adhering to the kids schedule. 

3. It comes across as if he is taking the woman's side when talking about it, which is of course wrong. Since he is only doing it because wives are to be submissive and could not possibly bring this "problem"  with their husbands up themselves.

4. I love that he has an acronym for bedtime/wakeup time (BTWT) :D I'm sure he used to say: " NO Sarah BTWT is not debatable!"

5. Is he seriously saying that dads nat having an early BTWT is the reason for not having a "a peaceful and productive home"?

6. It is also funny that only dads have the issue of not following a strict BTWT, mothers of course do this anyways...

What i would give to see their bedtime routine :D (Do they call all the inlaws to make sure everyone is adhering to BTWT? Does Steve have a masterswitch with which he turns off all the lights for the house so there is no illegal reading? Do they have discussions about starting BTWT 5 minutes early/later?)

Steve would certainly take a wife's POV if he thought the husband was failing. These types of rules/religions/patriarchies are not as tightly defined as people seem to think.

On 12/01/2017 at 1:38 AM, bertnee said:

I say that Christians of his ilk value their time LEAST on earth. They spend their entire life hiding away praying fervently for a better life in heaven and being terrified of anything different than what they've been indoctrinated to believe. While I know some Christians actually get out and make a positive impact on the world, the Maxwells aren't doing that. They aren't doing anything. Talk about a waste of a life.

But hey, at least they find time to schedule scheduling meetings and picket abortion clinics. That's a great use of your limited time on earth, Maxwells.

And they fill shoeboxes with cheap junk to send overseas!

On 11/01/2017 at 2:07 PM, PennySycamore said:

Now they make black stainless.  At least, Kitchen-Aid does. I think other companies do as well.  Most major brands make white and black in addition to stainless.  If you have the money to spend , you can get a Blue Star, Viking, Big Chill  or a Lacanche in a variety of colors.  (I'd love to have a Lacanche in British Racing Green to match my Mini.)  Or you can go the vintage appliance route.  Rachael Ray has a vintage red Chambers on her 30 Minute Meals show.  It was gorgeous!

Not being American I don't know an of those brands.  That reminds me, I noticed the brand name on our kitchen sink yesterday, after having not noticed it right under my nose for ten whole years!  Unobservant, that's me!

@FloraKitty35Solomon!  The supersonic salamander, see me go! *triggered*

9 hours ago, WonderingInWA said:

My childhood home was built in 1971.  My parents had it built so they picked out all the fixtures.  Four bathrooms and the toilets were yellow -- 2 of them -- powder blue, and avocado green.  And toilet paper was always bought to match.

Whatever happened to colored toilet paper, anyway?

You can still buy it, super expensive, very plush though :)

https://www.myrenova.com/p/8/black-toilet-paper

@CyborgKin, Kitchen-Aid is known for their great stand mixers although the Hobart Kitchen-Aids were better than the current ones.  I think Kitchen-Aid is made by Whirlpool which also made or still makes Kenmore which is the Sears Roebuck brand of appliances.  (Who owns what is American appliances can be a bit murky right now.)  Viking was one of the first "pro-style" style ranges for the home although they are maybe not as well regarded right now.  Blue Star and Big Chill are made by Pritzer-Painter Stove Works which also makes restaurant stoves.  Big Chill is a retro-styled version of the Blue Star.  Lacanche is a French maker of ranges.  They are hand built of cast iron in Burgundy.  They are real workhorses in the kitchen and last forever.  Blue Star and Lacanche both have very minimal electronics which helps with their longevity.

ETA:  @jiggleromp, that colored TP is a bit brighter than old school colored paper.  The old stuff was more pastel.  Some brightly colored rolls would be fun though.

16 hours ago, crawfishgirl said:

Regarding appliance colors - in the 70's, a number of popular colors were available.  If I remember correctly, my parents had an avocado-green fridge for many years, and a gold one before that.  I think that the oven was brown.   I still shudder at the thought...  Wasn't pink available in the 50's?

Yep - for a few years, my mother lived in a 50s-built house that had kitchen appliances we described as "nipple pink."

Steve loves to go on and on about how people spend their time and how they shouldn't waste it. But isn't it a waste of time to clean a house that's already clean?

On 6.01.2017 at 2:58 AM, freejugar said:

dadandmom.jpg

this pic is so sad. none of their daughters will ever even get in a wedding dress

It is sad but also because of her striking happiness. I think I've never seen her smile reaching her eyes in any available pictures published here and there.

OTOH Steve looks happy too but his smile reminds me of Joe's smug smile.

And new post up: hot John is celebrating his 26th birthday. Nothing surprising as usual.

John and I share the same birthday, but unlike him, I get to go out and enjoy my day doing what I like. Poor John gets 2 animal crackers and prayer time...

@fish_ca Definitely nothing surprising - all religious overtones, 'look how great he is with kids!' and STILL no indication of how he likes his coffee, damn it!

Just makes me sad. My sister had her birthday recently; I could say far more nicer things than 'servant' and 'giver'. For example, we both love Seinfeld and she will share funny quotes with me because she knows I'll get them, she loves eating out and knows all the best places, and she always shares her mangoes with me because she knows I like them.

It's as if the Maxwells are a family of strangers and they don't really know each other, for Sarah to give John a description like that.

6 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

Steve loves to go on and on about how people spend their time and how they shouldn't waste it. But isn't it a waste of time to clean a house that's already clean?

A priest I knew years ago would say that Steve suffers from scrupulosity.  Scrupulosity is itself a sin, according to this priest.

15 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I have seen that pic before but never noticed it looks like Anna and John getting married. @johnhugh where are YOU???

And Gothard is "gone", too, so that might make it more palatable to Steeeeeve. Fewer patriarchs with which to tussle ala his Pearl bitch fight. They did attend some Duggar event or the other, a graduation maybe?? It was not that long ago.

They were involved years ago.

"Pearl bitch fight"? Not sure I know that story. Deets, please????

15 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Steve would certainly take a wife's POV if he thought the husband was failing. These types of rules/religions/patriarchies are not as tightly defined as people seem to think.

Also, I'm betting the vast majority of their books are sold to women.  Even that Redeeming the Time book he wrote for men had women reviewing it.  I'm guessing they read the books written for men in the hopes that their husbands will change.

I think Steve is a good enough salesman to know he shouldn't piss off his best customers. 

15 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Yep - for a few years, my mother lived in a 50s-built house that had kitchen appliances we described as "nipple pink."

Whose nipple? Not all nips are pink ;-)

14 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

So, what 3 words would FJ use to describe John?

Hot

run

now!

Hmm. John is 26 now. He should be close to buying his own house debt free soon. Nathan bought his at 24, Joseph at 23. (Chris bought his at 29, but still). 

On 1/12/2017 at 7:36 AM, crawfishgirl said:

Regarding appliance colors - in the 70's, a number of popular colors were available.  If I remember correctly, my parents had an avocado-green fridge for many years, and a gold one before that.  I think that the oven was brown.   I still shudder at the thought...  Wasn't pink available in the 50's?

We had a brown stove and an avocado green fridge. 

The kitchen floor had a wild linoleum with greens & golds in the pattern and my mom hung a wallpaper border with green, white and sparkly gold patterns. The walls were a lime green. The chairs had yet another green/brown/gold pattern. 

I still see that kitchen clearly and at the time I don't know that I thought anything about it. But now...holy hell, the 70's were a god awful time in interior decorating styles.

In the 80's my first apartment had harvest gold appliances and I thought they were such an upgrade from those at home. I was stylin'...clearly the 80's weren't much better than the 70's.

*We also had green shag carpet in the living room. I had to rake that shit after vacuuming.

What the hell was with all that green?

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived