IGNORED

Maxhell Part 6 - Boring you to death since...

samurai_sarah

25 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

We had a brown stove and an avocado green fridge. 

<snip>

*We also had green shag carpet in the living room. I had to rake that shit after vacuuming.

What the hell was with all that green?

My deep dark secret is that I love shag carpet. 

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first house I had with Mr. Four had an avacado refrigerator and sink, and a gold stove. The metal kitchen shelves were painted dark brown. The carpet was HIDEOUS shag, orange and green. It looked like someone just took ladlefuls of paint and threw it on the rug. Thankfully, under that carpet was hardwood! And do not mention the hideous brown paneling!

On 1/5/2017 at 8:58 PM, freejugar said:

dadandmom.jpg

this pic is so sad. none of their daughters will ever even get in a wedding dress

This reminds me of Winchell and Mahoney.  Especially Mahoney.

@catlady,  we were talking about shag rugs this afternoon at my daughters.  I told her that they do still make shag rakes.  My mother-in-law was talking about how horrid her shag carpet was, but I think my daughter likes her shag area rug.  

I realize this puts me firmly in the "terrible taste" category, but I would kill for one of these Viking ranges. Also, my house has stereotypical avocado and brown vinyl floors in the kitchen and I don't hate it. What can I say, too many Brady Bunch reruns growing up!

avocado.jpg

orange.jpg

2 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

I realize this puts me firmly in the "terrible taste" category, but I would kill for one of these Viking ranges. Also, my house has stereotypical avocado and brown vinyl floors in the kitchen and I don't hate it. What can I say, too many Brady Bunch reruns growing up!

I like them also! 

(Will never get them! The SO and I both love the smooth countertop stove that we have. Well, we like having the extra counter space and how easy it is to clean.)

But I do love the aesthetic of the Viking ranges! 

I'm not knocking Sarah or Jana for that matter for living with their parents. Hell, I lived with mine until I got married at 29. My parents actually encouraged me to stay home and keep putting money away for a down payment on a house for the future rather than throwing it away on rent. So I get the whole living with your parents into your thirties mindset and trying to be debt free.  

What bothers and saddens me is that my living situation was a choice. Jana and Sarah don't have that luxury. They've been brainwashed to fear the outside world and will never leave their parents side because they have been so crippled by their parents teachings. They'll never have the choice to just "move out". Ever. It really makes me sad. 

I'm trying to figure out how none of them have defected. I'm also following the Erika Shupe thread, where it's mentioned that she got her schedule ideas from the Maxwells. I feel like the Lockwoods also did Maxwell-type scheduling, and the Duggars used to either do it or pretend to do it? And all of the above have either had some kind of "scandal" or else (seems to be with Erika) left fundamentalism completely. But the Maxwells never seem to change in any way. I'm weirdly fascinated.

On 13/01/2017 at 11:47 PM, fish_ca said:

It is sad but also because of her striking happiness. I think I've never seen her smile reaching her eyes in any available pictures published here and there.

OTOH Steve looks happy too but his smile reminds me of Joe's smug smile.

And new post up: hot John is celebrating his 26th birthday. Nothing surprising as usual.

It's Johns birthday?! Time to visit the blog and leave my comment!

7 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@catlady,  we were talking about shag rugs this afternoon at my daughters.  I told her that they do still make shag rakes.  My mother-in-law was talking about how horrid her shag carpet was, but I think my daughter likes her shag area rug.  

i would think the deeper pile versions would be very hard to keep clean.  i love those Flokati area rugs, but i'm afraid to get one because they mostly come in white or ecru, and all of my pets are black or gray.  we currently have beige berber (cheap stuff installed by former owners). the puppy managed to get caught in the loops and pulled them in a dozen places, and everybody's shedding shows up everywhere.

Shag always makes me think of condos or offices or high-end suburbs; cozy and sheltered from the outdoors.  

@ladyamylynn and @Maggie Mae, i like the look of the Viking ranges too. the colors are pretty cool.  but i'm in Maggie Mae's camp on the smooth tops.  that's what my next one will be, because i'm so over cleaning both gas and electric burners. 

2 hours ago, catlady said:

i like the look of the Viking ranges too. the colors are pretty cool.  but i'm in Maggie Mae's camp on the smooth tops.  that's what my next one will be, because i'm so over cleaning both gas and electric burners. 

I have found that the smooth tops are much harder to keep clean.

@gustava, I've found that to be true as well.  They might have been easier to keep clean if a teenage daughter had not insisted to making ramen in a too-small  pan.  It boiled over every single time!.  You're also not supposed to use cast iron on smooth tops as you can break them.  I have used my cast iron on my smooth top, placing the pan carefully, but you're not supposed to.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

You're also not supposed to use cast iron on smooth tops as you can break them.

Thank you for this good reminder!  We've been looking at new stoves, and smooth tops are among the considerations, but I use my cast iron skillet quite a bit. 

@vspielman, I should have written that you can break the cooktop, but I think that is understood.  

If you smack a cast-iron Chinese wok (which are very thin) against a a countertop, you can shatter the wok.  You have to be careful with Chinese cast-iron woks which are great for cooking but do have to be handled with care.  American cast-iron is too thick for woks.  Chinese carbon steel is best for woks.  Unless you have a stove top where you can sit the wok down into the fire like a Blue Star or Wolf with a wok grate, your wok should be flat bottomed.

49 minutes ago, catlady said:

@gustava and @PennySycamore, that's really interesting.  this is the first i've heard that about glass tops.  i'll have to do some more research.  thank you!!

It's the first I've heard that as well. We use cast iron every day. 

I don't know how is harder to keep clean. You wipe up spills with whatever. A electric or gas burner requires disassembly to clean. 

Why the fuck are they sledding on concrete??? Icy concrete??? That's a disaster waiting to happen. 

Good grief.

Much as I like the idea of a Viking, I'll take my li'l ole Kenmore with contuous grating. The ones shown above are purty-purty, but lack continuous grates. No no say Mamo.  

2 hours ago, 16strong said:

New post up. Ice sledding. Downhill. Concrete. No helmets on kids.

Meh, I did lots worse without a helmet in my day, as did the JuniorJB's, FWTW. 

Fromwhat we've seen of the Maxcompound, the terrain is pretty dang flat.  I know it doesn't take a whole lot to injure a child, but the very few inches one would've fallen, off the adults' prone backs, would have a pretty low risk factor.  I'd think.  and I know freak accidents happen…I just don't think the family were being foolish in letting the kids go helmet-less.

What I noticed with pleasure were the genuine smiles on Anna, and on Mary.  

9 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

You're also not supposed to use cast iron on smooth tops as you can break them.  I have used my cast iron on my smooth top, placing the pan carefully, but you're not supposed to.

I can some produce every now and then, and using a canner on a smooth top isn't recommended either.

23 minutes ago, Granwych said:

I can some produce every now and then, and using a canner on a smooth top isn't recommended either.

Is there a reason why not? I've never had any issues. 

Just now, Maggie Mae said:
24 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Is there a reason why not? I've never had any issues. 

Both my canners (water bath and pressure)  are quite heavy when full and shouldn't be "slid" along a smooth top.  I have a gas range and wish I had the kind with a grate that covers the whole stovetop.

2 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Both my canners (water bath and pressure)  are quite heavy when full and shouldn't be "slid" along a smooth top.  I have a gas range and wish I had the kind with a grate that covers the whole stovetop.

I don't think I've ever slid my pans across the surface, come to think of it. Sometimes I lift it and sort of shake it, but to slide it around? Why? 

I'm not trying to argue or be rude, I'm really curious if I'm breaking my stove. Or if I'm doing something I don't notice. 

I noticed Abby has a skirt on over her snow pants :pb_rollseyes: but Bethany and Christina don't seem to be the same. 

Also think that Tina and Drew sliding on top of the reversals looks incredibly dangerous. The last photo of Mary and Drew sitting up is much better. 

Ok, maybe not dangerous, but not very safe. It'd be OK on a shallow slope but not on a steep one.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived