IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters, Part 2

Destiny

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I disagree with plenty of people's lifestyles. I have friends who have SOs I don't like. I have friends whom I think could stand to have a bit more ambition in their professional lives. I have friends who are white and thought getting dreads was a good idea. I disagree with their life choices. But I also don't actively try to prevent them from living the lives they choose to live (unless it's actively harming them or someone else), force them into damaging and torturous "therapy", tell them that Jesus doesn't like white-guy dreads and they should feel bad about themselves for having them, or act like I'm better than they are because I live my life in a different way.

Also, how does someone being gay in any way affect your life personally? I mean, the worst way homosexuality could affect my life is my sister picking out ugly bridesmaid dresses if/when she finds a cute lady to marry. But if two dudes or two ladies are both adults and want to be in a relationship with each other, what the hell is it to you? I just don't get it.

I actually don't actively try to prevent any people around me from living the lives they choose to live. If someone very close to me were to be headed down a harmful road (yes, I believe sin is harmful, even though it's not always obviously so), then I would compassionately counsel them, but that's it. The decision is theirs. You're comparing something that is obviously not sinful to something that the Bible calls sin, so it's really apples to oranges. I wouldn't tell people Jesus doesn't like white-guy dreads either.

And it is never my intention to act better than anybody. I have already said here that we all struggle with different things. A Christian knows that he/she is a born sinner. There is nothing about me that is better than anybody else. 

I also never said it affects me personally. There are a lot of things that the Bible calls sin that do not affect me personally. I was asked a specific, directed question and I answered it. 

19 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Plank, eye, mote, etc.

Not really. If I were gluttonous and going around to call someone out on a different sin without addressing my own then that would apply. 

That's not the case here. I was asked a directed question and I answered it based on Biblical teaching. That is all. I also readily admitted that I used that as an example because it's something I have personal experience with. I have struggled with emotional eating in the past, and yes I am a bit overweight due in part to thyroid issues and part to diet.  Go ahead and call me fat while you're at it. That's what you do here, right?

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, snarkysally said:

I actually don't actively try to prevent any people around me from living the lives they choose to live. If someone very close to me were to be headed down a harmful road (yes, I believe sin is harmful, even though it's not always obviously so), then I would compassionately counsel them, but that's it. The decision is theirs. You're comparing something that is obviously not sinful to something that the Bible calls sin, so it's really apples to oranges. I wouldn't tell people Jesus doesn't like white-guy dreads either.

And it is never my intention to act better than anybody. I have already said here that we all struggle with different things. A Christian knows that he/she is a born sinner. There is nothing about me that is better than anybody else. 

I also never said it affects me personally. There are a lot of things that the Bible calls sin that do not affect me personally. I was asked a specific, directed question and I answered it. 

Not really. If I were gluttonous and going around to call someone out on a different sin without addressing my own then that would apply. 

That's not the case here. I was asked a directed question and I answered it based on Biblical teaching. That is all. I also readily admitted that I used that as an example because I have struggled with emotional eating in the past. Feel free to snark on me if you want. Go ahead and call me fat while you're at it. That's what you do here, right?

Would you please explain to me how being gay is harmful? Other than, you know, the risk of being persecuted.

12 minutes ago, snarkysally said:

That's not the case here. I was asked a directed question and I answered it based on Biblical teaching. That is all. I also readily admitted that I used that as an example because it's something I have personal experience with. I have struggled with emotional eating in the past, and yes I am a bit overweight due in part to thyroid issues and part to diet.  Go ahead and call me fat while you're at it. That's what you do here, right?

My eyes are rolling so hard. I have never seen FJ members fat shame one another. Please don't try to put words in posters' mouths to play the victim.

16 minutes ago, snarkysally said:

Feel free to snark on me if you want. Go ahead and call me fat while you're at it. That's what you do here, right?

Lol yep, that's what we do! That's why there are multiple threads for weight-loss support that dozens of people post in. Difference is, none of us think it's a sin. Guess what, Christianist oppression of gay people has real-life consequences.  Glad you and your ilk feel free to sit in judgement though, while people in Russia and Uganda and even the US fear for their lives and freedom.

45 minutes ago, FleeJanaFree said:

I see your point...but I actually asked Gabe originally if he was comfortable with his wife's education/ leading education for anybody kids they have..

Ah, gotcha. In that case, statements are retracted. Thanks for clearing that up for me. 

28 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Would you please explain to me how being gay is harmful? Other than, you know, the risk of being persecuted.

Sin of any kind harms a person in various ways. Some are emotional, some are physical, some are seen immediately, others aren't seen until later and any unrepented sin separates one from God, so yes all sin is harmful.

21 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My eyes are rolling so hard. I have never seen FJ members fat shame one another. Please don't try to put words in posters' mouths to play the victim.

I was specifically called out by someone who said, "give me your measurements." That is absolutely shaming. 

20 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Lol yep, that's what we do! That's why there are multiple threads for weight-loss support that dozens of people post in. Difference is, none of us think it's a sin. Guess what, Christianist oppression of gay people has real-life consequences.  Glad you and your ilk feel free to sit in judgement though, while people in Russia and Uganda and even the US fear for their lives and freedom.

There is no reason for you to say, "I need to see your physical measurements." other than to shame someone if they are overweight. At no time have I said to you, "what is your sexual orientation?" and I wouldn't. Because it is not my desire to shame anyone. 

3 minutes ago, snarkysally said:

I was specifically called out by someone who said, "give me your measurements." That is absolutely shaming. 

There is no reason for someone to say, "give me your measurements before we continue." other than to shame someone if they are overweight. 

Soo... Nothing about the oppression of gays? 

Sin of any kind harms a person in various ways. Some are emotional, some are physical, some are seen immediately, others aren't seen until later and any unrepented sin separates one from God, so yes all sin is harmful.

That didn't answer my question. What is harmful about homosexuality specifically?

6 minutes ago, snarkysally said:

Translation - "I don't actually have an answer but this book says it's bad so it's bad".  Gotcha.

8 minutes ago, snarkysally said:

At no time have I said to you, "what is your sexual orientation?" and I wouldn't. Because it is not my desire to shame anyone. 

Unless you know them IRL and they happen to reveal to you that they're gay.  In which case they will be "lovingly" counseled not to be gay.

7 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Soo... Nothing about the oppression of gays? 

I have said nothing derogatory to anyone here. I have not called anyone out and asked their sexual orientation to, presumably, shame them for it. I would never do such a thing. 

If your goal is to "get me back" for my belief in the Bible about homosexuality being a sin, then you could say, generally (ALL of my comments have been general and not directed toward individuals) that the obesity epidemic is harmful, unhealthy, or even unattractive. Calling me out and saying that you want my physical measurements is for no other reason than to shame me personally, which I have not done to anyone here at any point. 

@snarkysally, why are you here on FJ?  

Also, please explain to me how and why homosexuality is a sin. Is there an eleventh commandment maybe?  Seriously. You have read a passage in an old book which is full of incredulous tales, and you decide that this is the truth and the way. It is astonishing that you believe these people are sinners because in this book there are a few passages calling them abominations. Have you met the lovely Pissing Preacher?  You and he would get along famously. Unfortunately.  

1 minute ago, snarkysally said:

I have said nothing derogatory to anyone here. I have not called anyone out and asked their sexual orientation to, presumably, shame them for it. I would never do such a thing. 

If your goal is to "get me back" for my belief in the Bible about homosexuality being a sin, then you could say, generally (ALL of my comments have been general and not directed toward individuals) that the obesity epidemic is harmful, unhealthy, or even unattractive. Calling me out and saying that you want my physical measurements is for no other reason than to shame me personally, which I have not done to anyone here at any point. 

Sounds like I've given you plenty to think about! 

11 minutes ago, dramallama said:

Translation - "I don't actually have an answer but this book says it's bad so it's bad".  Gotcha.

Unless you know them IRL and they happen to reveal to you that they're gay.  In which case they will be "lovingly" counseled not to be gay.

That's not what I said. I know plenty of people IRL who are gay. I already said I don't mention it unless it comes up (i.e. my opinion is specifically asked for as it was in this thread), and I wouldn't mention it unless it fit into a specific situation as I spelled out. 

8 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Sounds like I've given you plenty to think about! 

Yes, about how you think it's okay to fat shame people but not to say homosexuality is a sin. And how you are willing to shame individuals which is something I have not and will not do. Yet somehow I'm the bad guy. Got it. 

Just now, snarkysally said:

That's not what I said. I know plenty of people IRL who are gay. I already said I don't mention it unless it comes up, and I wouldn't mention it unless it fit into a specific situation as I spelled out. 

Lol you know plenty of people who are gay. Good for you? You must be soooooo accepting. I bet they have no clue that you think the love of their life is a sin. 

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Come to think of it, I don't know @CyborgKin's exact age, but he could give Gabe a few pointers on discussion and debate - and from a Fundie background too.  

And! I feel like CyborgKin has implied that he's an INTJ, too.

YASSSS INTJ deathmatch! I need for this to happen. :angry-boxing:

That's not what I said. I know plenty of people IRL who are gay. I already said I don't mention it unless it comes up (i.e. my opinion is specifically asked for as it was in this thread), and I wouldn't mention it unless it fit into a specific situation as I spelled out. 

Yes, about how you think it's okay to fat shame people but not to say homosexuality is a sin. And how you are willing to shame individuals which is something I have not and will not do. Yet somehow I'm the bad guy. Got it. 

By the way, you never replied to my question. 

Would you support a law banning gay marriage? 

9 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

@snarkysally, why are you here on FJ?  

Also, please explain to me how and why homosexuality is a sin. Is there an eleventh commandment maybe?  Seriously. You have read a passage in an old book which is full of incredulous tales, and you decide that this is the truth and the way. It is astonishing that you believe these people are sinners because in this book there are a few passages calling them abominations. Have you met the lovely Pissing Preacher?  You and he would get along famously. Unfortunately.  

No, I don't believe in what he does. Believing the Bible does not mean that someone treats people horribly. I have not said anything derogatory to anyone here. I am being attacked because of my religious beliefs even though my opinion on what is or is not sin doesn't affect anyone else. It's an opinion. Plenty of people think I shouldn't homeschool. Some even think it's child abuse. That is their opinion and their right to think that. I don't agree with it. It is what it is. Why does it matter to anyone else if I think homosexuality is a sin. I haven't been rude or shaming toward anyone. I haven't called out individuals and insulted them (although that has been done to me several times). 

11 minutes ago, snarkysally said:

When Christians start implementing legislation to discriminate against overweight individuals, you will have a point. I asked for your measurements not to shame you but to point out your presumed hypocrisy. Sounds like I touched a nerve.

4 minutes ago, snarkysally said:

Why does it matter to anyone else if I think homosexuality is a sin. I haven't been rude or shaming toward anyone. I haven't called out individuals and insulted them (although that has been done to me several times). 

Because if you're voting for laws or candidates seeking to prevent or dismantle equality protections for homosexuals, it's not just your opinion that you think inside your own head and never foist upon anyone who doesn't directly ask for it.  Of course, you've dodged that question so far.  Think whatever you want.  Think Grimace the purple McDonald's monster is your god and the name "Steve" is an abomination and whatever the hell else you want.  The moment you start trying to make the rest of us live according to your religious beliefs is the moment I have a problem.

9 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Lol you know plenty of people who are gay. Good for you? You must be soooooo accepting. I bet they have no clue that you think the love of their life is a sin. 

I don't know plenty of people who are gay. I have a few casual acquaintances (and facebook friends, people I graduated with, etc.) who are gay. It doesn't come up. I don't bring it up. It's none of my business. 

I had a close friend who was gay and she did know where I stood on the matter but only because she was a preacher's daughter so she knew generally the teachings of Christianity. She told me that she appreciated that I was true to my values without preaching at her. I generally don't discuss sexual habits of strangers at all. It's not really something that comes up in everyday conversation for me. The only reason I said anything about it now was because I was called out and asked directly. If I didn't answer, then I would have been mocked for not answering. If I do answer, then I"m judged and attacked for that. Lose/Lose.

No one here has claimed that homeschooling is child abuse. Not at all.  And, no, you haven't been derogatory - except for saying that being gay equals sinning. You know, I think your book is a sin. It has caused so much harm to so many people.  For eons. And it doesn't seem like it's ever going to stop as people indoctrinate their kids with the same harmful beliefs. It's just never going to end. Too many arrows flying around deciding that others are sinners and reprobates. It's sick if you really think about it. 

3 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

When Christians start implementing legislation to discriminate against overweight individuals, you will have a point. I asked for your measurements not to shame you but to point out my presumed hypocrisy. Sounds like I touched a nerve.

So if your close friend got married, would you go to the wedding? 

9 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

When Christians start implementing legislation to discriminate against overweight individuals, you will have a point. I asked for your measurements not to shame you but to point out my presumed hypocrisy. Sounds like I touched a nerve.

Please be honest with yourself--it was to shame me. Period. And it wasn't hypocrisy because I am the one who said from the beginning that I believe gluttony is a sin and later that I have struggled with emotional eating. I was abused as a child, raped as a teen, and spent 2 years in an abusive relationship.  I struggled with emotional eating as a result of the depression and anxiety that followed. It's not something that I'm proud of, but I readily admit it. I'm not trying to hide it. I am no better than anyone else. I have sins just like the next person and have never said otherwise. 

12 minutes ago, snarkysally said:

I know plenty of people IRL who are gay.

I don't know plenty of people who are gay.

Which is it?

2 minutes ago, snarkysally said:

Please be honest with yourself--it was to shame me. Period. And it wasn't hypocrisy because I am the one who said from the beginning that I believe gluttony is a sin and later that I have struggled with emotional eating. I was abused as a child, raped as a teen, and spent 2 years in an abusive relationship.  I struggled with emotional eating as a result of the depression and anxiety that followed. It's not something that I'm proud of, but I readily admit it. I'm not trying to hide it. I am no better than anyone else. I have sins just like the next person and have never said otherwise. 

Maybe you would feel better if you stopped hating gay people?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived