IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters, Part 2

Destiny

23 minutes ago, snarkysally said:

I'm not intolerant. I have an opinion about a behavior. I have thoughts and opinions about what the Bible calls sin, and you have thoughts and opinions about people who believe the Bible. I have not called out anyone specifically or said unkind things toward anyone. However, your (collective) opinions come with vitriol, mocking, and attacking comments. Yet yours are okay and mine are intolerant and hateful?

I'm out of votes but thank you for the kind and respectful response. 

Not all opinions are equally valid, but you don't seem familiar with the balance fallacy.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Balance_fallacy

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Bad opinion.jpg

Finally, something we can agree on.

8 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Not all opinions are equally valid, but you don't seem familiar with the balance fallacy.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Balance_fallacy

Right, my opinion that doesn't lead to personal attacks and vitriol is bad, but yours that leads to mocking, attacks, and hateful spewing toward people is okay. 

10 minutes ago, snarkysally said:

See that's the thing, I'm not trying to take away your rights...or mock you. 

Even though we disagree on this, I do appreciate your thoughtful and respectful response. Thank you for that :) Dialogue is a beautiful thing, even if no one's mind is changed. 

What is the basis of your disagreement? Gay people don't feel or deserve love? Serious question.

11 minutes ago, Meridae said:

I fall in love with him all over again. He is absolutely the most wonderful man I've ever met. He's kind, compassionate, resourceful, and most importantly makes me feel like the most amazing woman in the world. He makes me feel safe, appreciated; he boasts about me to his friends, he loves my smarts, he loves my laugh and the way I snuggle into him at night. I love the way he eats my food, I love the way he (tries to) dance, I love how he comes home after a long day and gives me kisses no matter how tired he is. I love how he treats others, how he encourages me in everything I do, I love how we are equal partners in everything.

THIS is love and would describe the MM household 100%.  Even if we were same sex.  And we are Christians.

6 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

What is the basis of your disagreement? Gay people don't feel or deserve love? Serious question.

No, absolutely not! I believe that the Bible calls homosexuality a sin. That's it. I have no ill will toward gay people or anybody else. 

6 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

@snarkysally, you really don't get FJ. It's almost like you are trolling now. Not every online community is for everyone, seriously.

You're right. I didn't "get" it at first, though I'm getting it now, and have requested for my account to be deactivated. I'm not trying to troll.  

I really don't understand how people on this forum can come here and be so mean spirited and mocking while saying that they uphold human kindness. And that is an honest question from me--how does that jive?

Because to me, it's not okay to be mean and mocking toward anybody. Not gays, not any nationalities or religions, yes that includes Christians. Even if we disagree, we can still be kind to one another.

10 minutes ago, snarkysally said:

Oh the irony! This is the exact how many on this board come across. Different foundation, same closed-mindedness.

No logic break, just an intentional nitpicky misreading on your end. Allow me to clarify further. I'm not trying to take away ANYBODY's rights. Do what you want. But yes, I'm allowed to have an opinion on things just like you are. 

Yeah - the tone policing because you're oh so civilized in your condemnation....seeking out people who are pretty much guaranteed to have views in large opposition and then sad face about not getting head pats.

willful ignorance - I answer to what you said I believe about 'fundamentalists' and your reply is as if I was talking about you taking away my birth control.

trolling 101 and not particularly amusing.  The troll with the constipated fish that cost her over $10 k and the baby who was reading the wall street journal st 9 months or whatever...  People still talk about her.  All the time.  Search constipated fish and you'll see.  But you're not original.  You do however sound very familiar.

11 minutes ago, snarkysally said:

No, absolutely not! I believe that the Bible calls homosexuality a sin. That's it. I have no ill will toward gay people or anybody else. 

But, the upshot of characterizing gays as inherent sinners is that they are denied the opportunity to experience love if they want to stop being a sinner. I have a problem with that.

Look, I am Christian and I don't believe that the bible, any of them, calls homosexuality a sin. I could write a thesis about how I arrived at my belief, but this isn't the place.

So, we have irreconcilable differences, thats all. No need to keep discussing it, really. Nothing productive will come of it.

34 minutes ago, snarkysally said:

See that's the thing, I'm not trying to take away your rights...or mock you. 

Even though we disagree on this, I do appreciate your thoughtful and respectful response. Thank you for that  Dialogue is a beautiful thing, even if no one's mind is changed. 

Of course! I have no problems with belief systems until they are actively harmful (abuse, neglect, extreme sheltering, etc) or encroach on the rights granted to other citizens of whatever country you happen to belong to. My boyfriend also happens to believe being gay is a sin; HOWEVER, he does support civil marriage for every couple and supports our gay friends and their partners. He believes the same as I do that sinning does not equal eternal hellfire and believes that gay people are just as likely as you or I to get into heaven. He's softened up on homosexuality in the two years we've been together and I enjoy discussing our opinions. He is a Pentecostal Christian and I am a former Catholic turned agnostic; he jokes that he's already sinning by dating me so he may as well go whole hog :) honestly wouldn't trade him for the world! Plus you have to agree, everyone needs someone to hold their hair back for them while they're blowing chunks into the toilet at 2 am due to bad sushi...now that's true love, brotherly or otherwise! What would we do without our loyal hair holders??? ;) 

15 minutes ago, snarkysally said:

I really don't understand how people on this forum can come here and be so mean spirited and mocking while saying that they uphold human kindness. And that is an honest question from me--how does that jive?

I know she deactivated but ftr I never agreed to uphold human kindness and if that's in the rules someone link me.  Pretty sure it's not.

im not the ghost of Christmss present overflowing with the milk of human kindness....just opposed to bigotry and dangerous belief systems while being occasionally bitchy.

Well, that was quick. Where does it say that we uphold human kindness? Yes, we have a group of some of the most good hearted people you will ever see online, but we don't suffer fools gladly. What did snarky expect? Another angry fundie bites the dust. And we go on, horrible people that we are.

31 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

@meridae, I feel exactly the same as the beautiful way you expressed it about love. So very well said.

The more love there is in this crazy world, the better! :)

I think I've figured out what's going on here -- and @snarkysally is right -- she doesn't wish anyone any ill will or want to deprive anyone of their rights.  

She appears to be a walking, talking example of "blind faith" -- meaning that she knows that her bible (which she pretends is so clearly specific and ubiquitous that it can be identified with only one name, like Cher or Liberace, because it's not like there are various translations or versions or interpretations that differ widely or anything)

where was I?  Oh yes, she knows that her bible presents ridiculous, nonsensical rules that harm real live people who do not deserve to be harmed -- but since she has chosen to believe it, she's got to just ignore all those annoying conflicts and contradictions and just keep repeating that this is what the bible says and therefore this is what she believes, but she promises not to vote (which is actually fine with me as it doesn't seem we'd ever be on the same side of anything anyway) and therefore isn't actually doing any harm, just believing in her beliefs which might be harmful when other people believe them, but not her, because she's not actually DOING anything, just holding her beliefs like little treasures to gawk at.  Or something.

Since she never told me where the bible actually says being gay is a sin (in the NT, but I don't believe it says that anywhere) I'm going to take that as a concession that it doesn't. I could swear one of her posts was verbatim to another I've read here before...

Hey, do we still discuss the Boyer sisters here?? :pb_lol:  Anyway, they posted a video asking Charlotte 30 quick questions and when asked what her dream job is, she replied, "stylist." I wonder if she'll actually pursue that or if it is only a dream. 

I believe @snarkysally deactivated her account, but I wanted to correct a minor error she made.

1 hour ago, snarkysally said:

snipped

I'm out of votes but thank you for the kind and respectful response. 

There is a daily limit on downvotes on FJ, but there isn't a limit on upvotes. Positive reinforcement is unlimited! (Good thing too. I'd have a really hard time limiting my upvotes. :my_biggrin: )

My IRL friends know where I stand on the matter as a Christian

That was what she said re people,being gay.  Got me thinking...

@church_of_dog please send me a picture of your linen closet.  As a lapsed Catholic I think my friends should know where I stand in the matter of your sheet folding abilities.

that's as much my business as the sexual orientation of strangers.

Oy vey. New video/blog post featuring Charlotte and 30 quick questions (based on a video from a overindulgent fashion/lifestyle blogger, who borrowed the idea from Vogue's 73 Questions, which in itself is a riff off the ol' Questions Tag that have been going around YouTube and other social media sites for years). It's just under three minutes long, and seriously, I had to pause the video a few times. 

While it's nice to see the sisters are trying to be more casual/relatable, the video came off as overly rehearsed and a bit stiff.

Good to know Charlotte hates chocolate and geeks out about healthy skin care. 

The two older sisters will be getting the same treatment in upcoming posts/videos. 

10 minutes ago, Mommit said:

Hey, do we still discuss the Boyer sisters here?? :pb_lol:  Anyway, they posted a video asking Charlotte 30 quick questions and when asked what her dream job is, she replied, "stylist." I wonder if she'll actually pursue that or if it is only a dream. 

I chuckled at that answer. She can do that from home, dontcha know? Skype fashion consulting sessions are totally a thing! I took a personal styling class at the local community college two years ago, and it was taught by a Mormon modest fashion blogger turned international fashion stylist/ebook writer. Easiest A ever, since all I had to do was appeal to her love of all things whimsy and twee (AKA anything that looked like it could be bought at Anthropologie). 

I don't think @snarkysally is here any more but her disclosure of abuse to the group was ignored so just in case she sees this I want to say that I am truly sorry that you had to experience that. No one, regardless of personal belief, deserves to experience abuse. 

14 hours ago, Gabe said:
14 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Gabe, since you down voted this, I would like to know why you disagree.

It's a load of hearsay and projection.

Beg to differ. It is not hearsay, but actual personal experience in a former church of mine, and the guest speakers they flew in, often pastors with churches of their own, expressed "likemindedness." We had one recurring guest speaker, for example, who was a former Catholic priest, and his mission field was to convert Catholics to "true christianity". (He has a website, so I expect he's still going about the same business. http://www.bereanbeacon.org/)

I also heard grumbling from those who regularly protested at the local Planned Parenthood over having to share the sidewalk with Catholics, charismatics, and maybe even Mormons. (I am not completely sure about the Mormon part--I might be remembering that wrong, as due to physical problems I never went on the protests but heard a lot about them at church and in social gatherings. It was quite the crusade.)

Baptists came in for their share of criticism as well. "How could they not baptize their children into the Covenant?" There was a huge discussion of paedocommunion, as well. I remember our kids had to stand before the elders and answer 20 questions orally to show their proper understanding of doctrine before the elders would allow them to take communion. (Whatever happened to "Let the little children come to Me, and do not hinder them..."?)

(Of course, baptizing babies into "Covenant families" has not stopped young people from leaving the church and the faith, it seems... That may sound smug, but I'm actually heartbroken at their pain and anger.)

2 hours ago, DaisyD said:

Since she never told me where the bible actually says being gay is a sin (in the NT, but I don't believe it says that anywhere) I'm going to take that as a concession that it doesn't. I could swear one of her posts was verbatim to another I've read here before...

I would imagine she got it from Romans 1, verses 26-27. That's one of the passages that got read aloud whenever the preaching topic was the Gay Agenda.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived