IGNORED

The Seewalds, Part 12: Baby

samurai_sarah

Chip and JoJo sound like names you'd choose for your pet Guinea Pig.

LOL. One my brothers is named Chip. Actually, it's Chipman and he is named for our grandfather. I don't know where the name came from as I've never found it used in our genealogy.

I have heard it is supposed to be a nickname for Charles, Jr. but now Charles in our family.

Should be 'no Charles' in above post. Couldn't edit. This past week , I'm constantly getting 'freejinger.org is not responding.'

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think "Chip" can also be considered and used as Junior, as in "chip off the old block". As always, this is not always the case. But I have heard that. 

3 hours ago, goldengrove said:

I'm with you on all you said.  I think, in 30 years or so, your son's generation will be viewing houses, and wondering what the hell we were thinking, taking down the walls. It's colder, drafty, barn-like, no privacy for anything (I lived in a mid mod house growing up).  Probably not all of the beams that have been installed to hold the huge weight in this situation have been done correctly, possibly causing major structural problems, something else that will concern those future home buyers.

But, everything old is new again, right?  I have lived long enough to see that that is really true...

Hmm...my house is pretty open on the main level. But it doesn't feel drafty or barn like at all.  The upstairs is where the bedrooms are so there's a lot of privacy there thankfully.

I actually really enjoy fixer upper, it's just a nice pleasant show thats easy to play as background noise. Chip and Jo are likeable enough (Chip definately plays to the camera), and their farm is basically my dream house. 

But Jessa watching this with spurge makes me kinda happy. Like I know it doesn't mean they are departing from fundie-dom or even going fundie light. Their beliefs don't get any less awful, or their personalities less annoying; but i don't know; its kind of normal and humanizing (which imo is probably what they are going for on social media). Like I know the duggars have watched non-christian family films in the past in small doses, so its nothing mind-blowing.

Watching Fixer Upper on her laptop probably means the seewalds have Netflix, which means probably watch other shows. I'd like to imagine that one night for movie night  and they start a binge marathon of something like The Office or Arrested Development. Or even something more serious like House of Cards. One of the things that saddens me most about the Duggars is how insulated they are to films, shows, music and novels because they are "too worldy". They miss out on so many great experiences and pieces of art. They can bring us happiness or cathartic experiences and help us understand and explore who we are a people. I think everyone deserves to have a piece of that. 

1 hour ago, ClaraOswin said:

Hmm...my house is pretty open on the main level. But it doesn't feel drafty or barn like at all.  The upstairs is where the bedrooms are so there's a lot of privacy there thankfully.

Doesn't have to be all those things...hmm...maybe I was describing the atmosphere there, for as much as I loved that house, it wasn't a very warm, fuzzy place in general.  Only the off limits to children living room was carpeted, the rest of the house was tile or cork. There were huge plate glass windows on the back side of the house, high windows on the front.  It would have been a wonderful house to grow up in, but terrible things happened there that will haunt me till I die. 

My mother always hated that house, talked my daddy into building her a "normal" one (heh...as if anything that happened in their world could be considered normal). I hated it, of course.  It did my heart good to recently learn that the old house appraises for a lot more than the new one, still owned by the family that was smart enough to buy it for a ridiculous $17K at the time :D I knew all along it was a cool house!

2 minutes ago, immodest_countenance said:

I actually really enjoy fixer upper, it's just a nice pleasant show thats easy to play as background noise. Chip and Jo are likeable enough (Chip definately plays to the camera), and their farm is basically my dream house. 

But Jessa watching this with spurge makes me kinda happy. Like I know it doesn't mean they are departing from fundie-dom or even going fundie light. Their beliefs don't get any less awful, or their personalities less annoying; but i don't know; its kind of normal and humanizing (which imo is probably what they are going for on social media). Like I know the duggars have watched non-christian family films in the past in small doses, so its nothing mind-blowing.

Watching Fixer Upper on her laptop probably means the seewalds have Netflix, which means probably watch other shows. I'd like to imagine that one night for movie night  and they start a binge marathon of something like The Office or Arrested Development. Or even something more serious like House of Cards. One of the things that saddens me most about the Duggars is how insulated they are to films, shows, music and novels because they are "too worldy". They miss out on so many great experiences and pieces of art. They can bring us happiness or cathartic experiences and help us understand and explore who we are a people. I think everyone deserves to have a piece of that. 

I still can't wrap my head around how they don't dance. I understand the "theory" behind it but I just hear music without wanting to tap my toes or dance a bit. Music is meant to be enjoyed by the whole person not just their ears. Especially the classical music they love so much, a lot of it was written to be danced too. 

Tangentially, I wonder if they have ever listened to opera. I assume SOTDRT doesn't teach French, Italian, or German since most countries that speak those languages don't have many missions. Well, they speak French in parts of Africa but anyway. Opera is FULL of "worldy" plots that would whoosh over their heads just like Jane Austen. Off the top of my head there is incest, kidnapping, premarital sex, rape, bastard children, murder, killing parents, killing siblings, killing children, falling in love with your step-son who is insane, etc. 

Can you tell I REALLY love opera?

I think houses with a lot of tile or hardwood always seem a bit drafty. I know most people love those but I honestly prefer a lot of carpet (except in bathrooms and the kitchen.) It's just more cozy to me. Though I'm sure my allergies would prefer hardwood or tile. Ha!

Just now, ClaraOswin said:

I think houses with a lot of tile or hardwood always seem a bit drafty. I know most people love those but I honestly prefer a lot of carpet (except in bathrooms and the kitchen.) It's just more cozy to me. Though I'm sure my allergies would prefer hardwood or tile. Ha!

I like area rugs, because wall to wall carpeting seems dirty for some reason. And I have a lot of pets so carpets just get hairy!

8 minutes ago, freedom_for_all said:

I still can't wrap my head around how they don't dance. I understand the "theory" behind it but I just hear music without wanting to tap my toes or dance a bit. Music is meant to be enjoyed by the whole person not just their ears. Especially the classical music they love so much, a lot of it was written to be danced too. 

JB in an episode of 17kids and counting said something along the lines of "scary how it can just control you like that" in response to one of the howlers (James maybe?) dancing to some music a toy was making. 

In all honestly most of what the duggars "personal convictions" are mostly parroted reasons they probably don't understand fully either and are as shallow as it gets. Like Michelle's response to that question was "I can think of better things to do with my time than dancing", like a complete non answer. 

Same for the things they approve. At one point they said they liked classical and jazz music. Yeah jazz... you know that thing genre of music that in the early 20th century was associated with sexual liberation, youthful defiance, and oh yeah promiscuous dancing. It was seriously the rap genre of the early 20th century. But the duggars are completely ignorant of that. It's old time-y, therefore good old-fashion family fun. Like I genuinely believe that if the duggars hear "I get a kick out of you" they would think it's a wholesome song. 

3 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I have no carpeting and I love it, just the original oak floors that I refinished. I have a mid century modern house, no open floor plan, and it is so cozy in here. I do have area rugs. Wood is much longer lasting and easier to clean. It's a preference.

10 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I think a lot (most?) of the furniture in the "reveal" is just staging furniture. So I'm sure they use a lot of the same stuff over and over.

I think and open floor plan has it's pros and cons. Right now, with a toddler, I love it. Because I can do other things while still keeping a close eye on him. When he's a teenager, I might change my mind. Ha!

Their houses are sold already, so no need for staging. I have seen Jo have custom pieces made for homes, so I think her design services are part of the deal.

I meant staging for the purpose of the show/reveal. It looks nicer to have their fancy stuff in there instead of most people's regular old crap. I believe she typically does one or two 'custom' pieces but that's it. I could be wrong though, of course. I've never actually researched this.

7 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I meant staging for the purpose of the show/reveal. It looks nicer to have their fancy stuff in there instead of most people's regular old crap. I believe she typically does one or two 'custom' pieces but that's it. I could be wrong though, of course. I've never actually researched this.

You're right; the furniture is staging for the show, most of which is from her shop. A big reason for the show is to advertise her vintage furniture shop. The couple CAN buy the furniture; but I think a house full of it is close to 20k. If you notice in the last part of the show where it shows the family settled in, most of the furniture is different. 

7 minutes ago, immodest_countenance said:

You're right; the furniture is staging for the show, most of which is from her shop. A big reason for the show is to advertise her vintage furniture shop. The couple CAN buy the furniture; but I think a house full of it is close to 20k. If you notice in the last part of the show where it shows the family settled in, most of the furniture is different. 

I have a friend who has a friend that was on the show. Anything custom they got to keep, think Clint's work, the rest was pulled out and replaced with their stuff. What I found interesting was many of the pieces that Jo used were very similar to what the family had. I haven't looked at Jo's online shop but if her prices are like Clint's 20k isn't going to cover it. 

3 hours ago, immodest_countenance said:

Same for the things they approve. At one point they said they liked classical and jazz music. Yeah jazz... you know that thing genre of music that in the early 20th century was associated with sexual liberation, youthful defiance, and oh yeah promiscuous dancing. It was seriously the rap genre of the early 20th century. But the duggars are completely ignorant of that. It's old time-y, therefore good old-fashion family fun. Like I genuinely believe that if the duggars hear "I get a kick out of you" they would think it's a wholesome song. 

Stay away from jazz and liquor! And the men who play for fun!

This is interesting, on Property Brothers, the furnishings are part of the deal. I wonder what the incentive is to allow Chip and Jo to use your house to promote their shop.

4 hours ago, immodest_countenance said:

I ADORE jazz music and find its history so fascinating. I'm guessing the Duggars don't go to a lot of live Jazz concerts though...

10 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

LOL. One my brothers is named Chip. Actually, it's Chipman and he is named for our grandfather. I don't know where the name came from as I've never found it used in our genealogy.

I have heard it is supposed to be a nickname for Charles, Jr. but now Charles in our family.

Should be 'no Charles' in above post. Couldn't edit. This past week , I'm constantly getting 'freejinger.org is not responding.'

Please post things like this in the tech support forum where it will be seen by someone who can address it.  We can't read every post and when people report tech issues in random threads they can easily get missed.  Thanks.

34 minutes ago, freedom_for_all said:

I ADORE jazz music and find its history so fascinating. I'm guessing the Duggars don't go to a lot of live Jazz concerts though...

Their feelings probably parallel those of people during the Jazz Age who thought the music was promoting promiscuity and immortality. Flappers would be quite Nike by their standards! :my_biggrin:

On 12/12/2016 at 9:54 AM, front hugs > duggs said:

MacPherson would have a nickname, Mac, which they already have for Macynzie. But do the Duggars ever care about logic or other people? Nah.

I'm going to say no as well - they wouldn't care.

This is the family that has Jana, Joanna and Johanna. Joseph and Josiah. I think two kids with nicknames that can be shortened to the same thing is par for the course. 

Plus, Ben and Jessa come up with horrible nicknames for their son - Spurgie for instance. So they would probably shorten it to something that's just as ugly, Phersie. 

Spurgie and Phersie. Oh good heavens that's so ugly that it just might be a plausible guess. 

2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

This is interesting, on Property Brothers, the furnishings are part of the deal. I wonder what the incentive is to allow Chip and Jo to use your house to promote their shop.

What the show offers is pretty hush hush. I know that the couple has to have 30k for their renovation budget. I suspect that production adds to that budget even if they don't say as much on the show.  Many of the homes that had smaller budgets end up with some pretty high end details that just can't be for the show only.  No one is going to donate countertops when you can't reuse them. 

As to Chip and Joanna,  One of the homes they did belonged to the daughter of Max Lucado, a well known Christian minister and author.  What I found interesting about this, is that Max Lucado came out against Donald Trump.  

I was sort of put off Chip and Joanna when they got their undies in a bunch over some of their past fixer uppers being put on AirBnB.  I mean, if these people had paid for their homes to be done, then once the work is done, then Chip and Joanna should no longer have any say in what the home owners do with the property.   

Overall all, though I don't hate their show for some mindless distraction

They seriously got upset over that? It just makes it seem like they think they have some kind of ownership of places the decorate, which is ridiculous. Nothing stops people who were on the show from destroying their home by throwing a rave or turning their home into a Satanic Temple.

Yes, this was a story a few months back.  I think moving forward, they are making people sign something in their contract that prohibits them from renting their house on AirBNB or VRBO, etc, for a certain period of time, like a year or two after having been on the show. 

I think it is dumb and how does it hurt them in anyway if someone decides to rent out their own private property. 

It wasn't because the house was put on Airbnb it was because they were using their names and the name of the show to advertise it. All the names are trademarks so it was illegal for the new owners to do that. Plus the new owners didn't have the usage permits from the city. No one was living there they were using it as commercial property and the city got pissy about that. 

On 12/14/2016 at 0:13 AM, Fluffypaws said:

Such a lovely name, but don't give them this idea! This is my first AND middle name and I'm not sharing it with them. :kitty-wink:

Aimee is too normal and MacPherson is too trendy, so if the theologically is OK with them I can see them naming the child Semple.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived