IGNORED

The Seewalds, Part 11: Future Baby Mama

samurai_sarah

Oooh, my bad. I thought the one on the end was Spurgy's. I thought MomOfBinjermin bought that for his first Christmas.

I've had no coffee today, 4 hours sleep, and spent 830-330 in the courtroom. Mela not brain good. 

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Isn't it too early to hang the stockings up?  We usually do it on Christmas Eve.

My family usually hangs them up a two or three weeks before Christmas. Since some people (including, perhaps, the Seewalds) put up and decorate their tree right after Thanksgiving (or even, uh, before, which seems very strange to me), they might have just put all the decorations up at once.

Our tree (if we do one-haven't since we got Remy) goes up on my birthday-one week before Christmas and stockings go up either on GrandGirl's birthday (23) or my dad's (Christmas Eve). That's the way bith sides of my family have done it and we adopted it when we started our family and got our own place.

I could see the Seewalds going with Martin Luther because they could subtly imply to their token black friends that the baby is named after Martin Luther King Jr. and attempt to score some points (not that it would work, but I could see them believing it would,) while assuring their white fundie circle that the name is completely about the Protestant figure. 

I don't know if Ben and Jessa are actually that cynical, but I think they might be.

I could see Benessa going with an S theme for the kids. How alliterative of them. 

eta: Just one extra stocking seems to blow her twin speculation to pieces. 

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

Isn't it too early to hang the stockings up?  We usually do it on Christmas Eve.

We hang our stockings when we put up the tree. :) 

The name looks like spurgeon, but the one with the S on it was definitely Spurgeon's from last year. So I guess the new baby is getting a hand me down stocking. The S could easily stand for seewald or the new baby's name. They definitely want people to speculate. 

11 hours ago, CuttySark said:

I know you didn't intend it this way - but please be careful with decrying absolutely standard Hebrew names as somehow 'kinda weird.' Tzipporah is an incredibly common name in Jewish communities, whether used as a ritual name or as a plain old everyday name, and little girls named Tzippie are exactly like every little Lizzie or Suzie out there. 

Sorry if I phrased it badly, I've just never known of a Tzipporah younger than 75 or 80 years old. Where I live we have a sizeable Jewish community, but only the elderly tend to use names with distinctively Hebrew spelling (or the younger people choose not to use them outside of their community, I really don't know). I do understand that would not be the case elsewhere, but to me, it's like imagining a young child named Ethel or Thelma or Herbert. Plus I was kind of taking the piss implying that Ben seems the type to choose a name from a culture he's never experienced and knows squat about having never left Buttfuck, Arkansas. :2wankers:

Semi-relevant digression: My own family came from Eastern Europe and some of them had so much trouble with their names being mispronounced and/or dealing with Red Scare era prejudice, so just using a name like John or Ed was much more convenient. The poor bastard named Semen (pronounced Sim-Yen, it's a form of Simon) had to take an especially large amount of crap from Americans. That was obviously not intentional, it was a quirk of the Russian alphabet, but it boggles my mind that parents are willing to purposely saddle their kids with some nonsense like Abcde, Little Sweetmeat, Felony Meth, or Charlie Willard Horse Dick. Really, I'm making none of these up.

Anyway, point being, Ben and Jessa could do a hell of a lot worse than using bible names or fundie names. I'm still curious what prompted M&JB to think of Jubilee Shalom, though.

ok because I am taking one for the team but the video J  & B posted a month after Spud was born - so xmas morning per say - they hold up the same stocking as is hanging for the new baby on the way - it looks like Spud got a brand new stocking this xmas 

So the S could well stand for his first name; they just didn't know where to have one specially made with that name on it. 

If this is the case, then my theory about the next one being an S could well be a thing. After all, it wouldn't be the first time this family used a single letter to name their kids. 

1 hour ago, TuringMachine said:

The name looks like spurgeon, but the one with the S on it was definitely Spurgeon's from last year. So I guess the new baby is getting a hand me down stocking. The S could easily stand for seewald or the new baby's name. They definitely want people to speculate. 

Or they could just not having a stocking for the baby yet since he isn't even born. 

23 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

Or they could just not having a stocking for the baby yet since he isn't even born. 

There are 4 stockings. If the 4th isn't for the baby then who?

I have a stocking for my dog, but I don't think the seewalds have started collecting/losing pets yet. Maybe Spud has two.

7 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I have a stocking for my dog, but I don't think the seewalds have started collecting/losing pets yet.

The only "pet" I remember is a cat that got plowed by an arse on a sled a while back.

There was Bubba, the family dog. I think he ran of with a bitch in the neighborhood and has his on quiver.

3 hours ago, marmalade said:

I could see Benessa going with an S theme for the kids. How alliterative of them. 

eta: Just one extra stocking seems to blow her twin speculation to pieces. 

They could have one and a half stockings for the maybe twins!!

Now I want one of the kids to go with the 7 Brides for 7 Brothers theme and go through the alphabet for names. That said, I don't want any of them to have 26 kids.

I noticed the stocking on the far right has a big bow on it. I know bows are on everything at Christmas, but for fundies like the Seewalds, wouldn't a bow on anything intended for a little boy be in violation of their Jinder roles? :2wankers:

A girl? Sarai Seewald maybe?

ETA: It occcured to me that if that stocking, Spurgeon's old stocking, had the bow on it, maybe it isn't a Jinder role thing after all. ::Shrugs::

11 hours ago, Chevreuil said:

Jill and jessa are just following the fundie trend, i think most prominate fundies have had or at least attempted an homebirth. 

11 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Answer) Lack of insurance, extreme cheapness and a level of laziness that affects common sense and reasoning. 

Has it ever been determined if Jessa even had prenatal care with either of her pregnancies? Was Spurgeon's birth attended by a professional?

Unfortunately it is a fundie trend that often comes with a lack of prenatal care and unprofessional supervised deliveries which make homebirths look like something only uneducated and ignorant people would try and that makes me mad. I haven't got any children yet, but when I imagine giving birth I always think of having a homebirth. I would, of course, only do that if all prenatal check ups were totally fine, if I had a professional midwive that I trust, if I still lived in an urban region where the next hospital isn't more than a few minutes away and my partner is okay and also feels comfortable about it. I don't really want to show off how brave or holy or whatever I am, it is just a feeling, a wish that I carry deep inside of me for several years now. Maybe, once I find out I'm pregnant, all these plans get irrelevant, I guess I'll see.

8 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Spurge and Luth. 

It sounds  like some Tarantino characters. It rocks. 

It totally rocks!! And I laughed way too hard. Spat coffee all over my keys :-(

8 hours ago, Fun Undies said:

Moody, Wesley, Whitefield, and Calvin.

Calvin and Wesley could never outdo Spurge. I have to admit I like both names.

6 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

It is never too early for christmas decorations!!!!1!1!!!!11!!

5 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

There are 4 stockings. If the 4th isn't for the baby then who?

Because Jessa liked the look of four stockings over three? Honestly, with the stockings up this early, I think they're there for decoration as much as actual Christmas stuffing. I'm not snarking on putting your stockings up early, just that the vibe I get from Jessa's picture is that it's very much a part of her Christmas decor - unlike, say, in my family, when we hung our stockings on our bedposts on Christmas Eve.

I know I'm in a minority, but I like Jessa most (dislike her least?) of all the kidults.  I like her DGAFness, I was surprised how well she backed up Jill in the shower rack video, and made it seem understandable, and I really like the way she's so damn good at publicity.  Just putting up an extra stocking and she's got the speculation bus racing, which I reckon was the idea. 

It's like I can weirdly admire Jill Rodrigues and John Shraders' grifting abilities - these 2nd generation Fundies, who despite being brought up in their parents' experimental lifestyles, and with the  terrible SOTDRT "education", have this in-born ability to have some amazing skills.  JRod and Shrader, it's grifting, Jessa it's PR and media manipulation.  I just wish they'd had real educations, and half the chance to be able to use them in other ways - imagine what they all could achieve (I mean, maybe they'd still have hateful beliefs, and still actively want to deny other people basic human rights, but maybe with more exposure to the world, they wouldn't)

Anyway, congratulations, Jessa, you a A1 at this game :clap:

9 hours ago, Sir Puddington said:

Where I live we have a sizeable Jewish community, but only the elderly tend to use names with distinctively Hebrew spelling (or the younger people choose not to use them outside of their community, I really don't know)

It's the opposite where I live (central and eastern Canada). Most people in my grandparents' and parents' generations changed their names or used anglo nicknames in order to assimilate a little better. One of my great-uncles changed both his first name and surname from the Yiddish to something very anglo in order to find work, because his name was 'too Jewish.' (Toronto in the 1930s + 1940s.) My grandmother grew up in the era in Canada when places would have signs saying 'No Dogs or Jews Allowed.' 

I've seen many more people in my generation (mid-thirties) and younger using Hebrew names and naming their children with our proper names because the danger of assault and discrimination has (until recently, anyway) been so much lower.  Our ability to use our names - how, when and where it's safe to do so - is very political, and always has been. 

I'm not fundie but when I was pregnant the (future) baby had Christmas presents because for us, it was a member of the family. So I understand Jessa hanging 4 stockings. Maybe she does it for being popular but as far as we know, she seems to enjoy motherhood and can be genuinely thrilled about the baby.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived