IGNORED

Counting On Season Two - Part 2

Coconut Flan

Just now, VelociRapture said:

Delayed reaction to this:

1. They have more than enough time to get the clothes back since SeaWeed the Second isn't due until February.

2. If they have a girl, they may not want the clothes back immediately. Because girls and boys obviously can't share clothes for any reason ever. Because Jesus. Or something. :pb_rollseyes:

i get that - but I got the impression (because there was one outfit she said she loved) why can't she take the outfits she loves that he doesn't fit into and make a quilt  

would this be a)defeating the purpose of this family - she can start her own traditions, 

B) does she want her next son to wear the exact same fun clothes her first son wore 

or maybe it was a PLOT point - I hated it 

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, nst said:

i get that - but I got the impression (because there was one outfit she said she loved) why can't she take the outfits she loves that he doesn't fit into and make a quilt  

would this be a)defeating the purpose of this family - she can start her own traditions, 

B) does she want her next son to wear the exact same fun clothes her first son wore 

or maybe it was a PLOT point - I hated it 

Most likely? They want to reuse the clothes Spurgeon has outgrown for any sons or nephews they have in the future. She isn't joking when she says it saves money - buying used from "Obce Upin a Child," is pretty awesome because it can be dirt cheap (got my daughter two outfits on clearance for just over $2.00 recently), but free hand-me-downs are even better.

That could be too practical an answer though.

12 hours ago, Chicken bones said:

Does Jeremy ever do any work? How can he be constantly on the phone with her? I'd think that would be rather annoying to him: his fiancee is acting like a high school girl needing constant attention.

I had a boyfriend who would CONSTANTLY text me when I was working, at family functions, going on errands, et cetera. It was cute for like a day. Then I wanted to strangle him. Needless to say, for that and a litany of other reasons, we broke up a couple months later. Clinginess to the point of lacking object permanence is a massive turnoff.

I remember hand me downs. One particular Baltimore Orioles kid jacket went from Mr. Four's nephew, to my nephew, to his brother, to my oldest, to my second, to my third, and then to another kid. When someone spent MLB licensing kind of money, you want to get a LOT of use out of something..

Didn't watch, per usual...And I agree with Buzzard, why would the boys who have attended ALERT (JD, Joe, Josiah and Jer) need to attend survival camp?  Does no one associate with the show from the players, to JB, the producers, writers, editors have a brain??? Maybe outside of the family, no one gives an EFFF.

The scene of Jessa giving outgrown baby clothes away did not ring true for me.  I only have two kids, but I saved all of my older daughter's clothes for my second child - it made it much easier and less expensive.  If I planned on being quiverful like Jessa, I would not be giving any clothes away, since they would definitely be useful for later kids.  However, I wonder if fans send her lots of baby clothes, so maybe she doesn't feel that she'll need to buy any herself.  It seems like many of their possessions were gifted to them, so clothes may not be an exception.

Just when you think nothing is duller than the Maxwell's here comes Counting on.... My thoughts

1. Derrick --oh barf on the letter and the ph.d Gag. Spouting crap like that most likely a story told in an ATI/IBLP men's seminar. Like Amyway people telling the same "touching" story as their own. Gag Gag Gag. And get a hair cut and shave.

2. Finger. Lord, I hope Middle School is over soon. Anytime now she'll be slamming her bedroom door and blasting a hymn .....

3. TLC--faking survival is stupid even for you. Idiotic. No one slept there. No one ate there. No one did anything but maybe change shirts to film another part of it.

4. On Spurgie and Izzy having nice clothes--they each have a normal Grandma, too, not just J'chelle.

5. Josiah and adventurous eater.....words fail......

6. Next week--Joyanna FLIES? OH, another "we can so do what we want" segment. Like when they showed one of girls driving the bus for ten minutes.

15 hours ago, Buzzard said:

JInger and Jana wont drink it.

Jer and Jed wuss out too.

/snip/

Josiah - I'm not a germaphobe, but my water is my water.

Didn't some of these boys go to ALERT?  Aren't these the same skills? Why are they playing so stupid?  

This is exactly what I was thinking, reading the recap.  ALERT is all about a Survivalist Militia of manly men, and look at them!  Josiah was banished there, and one of the twins, recently, so what were they doing?  And don't they go to Christian camps too, so would have had to be (gasp) OUTDOORS!!!!!!!!!1!11!!!!  before?

Derick - for any guy getting married,the biggest memories are what comes after the wedding

EWWWWWWWW!!!!

Also:  we've seen photos of them wearing leggings and workout gear under their skirts, so why wouldn't they do this on a wilderness weekend?  At this point they must be just trolling us, right??

I really can't add to anything that has already been brought up. 

The whole survivor camp was just a waste a time for everyone, especially Jinger.  I can't believe Boob let all his workers go for that long of a time.  Three of those boys are ALERT graduates, I doubt this city slicker camp taught them anything .... OR, this shows how wasteful ALERT is. 

I don't think the guide saying the women weren't dressed properly had anything to do with their skirts.  Of course, the Duggar girls made it out to be about their skirts, but honestly, who shows up for a 3 day survivor training in TOMS tennis and dress boots?  I'm sure the camp send out information on what to bring ... and in that information it  said to bring  good climbing, hiking, outdoor shoes ... and more likely even stated ....  "No Flip Flops or Sandals will be accepted".   I know a lot of women who hike and do outdoor activities in skirts or at least skorts (which is basically what Jana had on ... you could see her knee length leggings when she laid down in the lean to) so I doubt the guides cared about that.  The only people who care about that are the defensive Duggar girls. 

I agree 100% with the poster uptread who asked what kind of job Jeremy has that he can talk to Jinger all day/night every day/night.  It was constant and non stop conversation.  Honestly, even 13 year old girls in their first relationship don't act so sloppy.  They have school and activities to keep them busy.   And Jeremy at 28 with a full time job, is acting just as ridiculous as Jinger. 

The only nice thing about that whole survivor camp scene was seeing Duggar siblings doing something together without Boob or DQ there.  Have we ever seen the girls and guys do something together without their parents?  I remember when a couple of the older ones came home from Little Rock when Josies was in the NICU to clean up the house.  The guys had some chores to do and the girls put away Christmas décor.  They had to sleep at Anna and Josh's though, not in their own home and in their own bed.  That is when we met Chickeniti. 

To everyone mentioning Alert -

Survival camp was simply a good storyline they could use to make the unmarried adult offspring look interesting. They could have learned useful skills at Alert and just acted like they didn't know anything. Or Alert could just be a massive waste if money and resources. I'm leaning towards it being a massive waste, but you never know.

They aren't going to mention the boys attending Alert on the show either way. Ever. Because that's a way of acknowledging their ugly beliefs, which they'd probably really like the audience to forget about.

And did Jill/Derick really talk about their main goal for the upcoming year being to have another baby? I thought all these things were left up to God? Are they trying to usurp God's will? Coax God?

9 hours ago, Karma said:

*snipped*

What I've never understood is the quantity of washing.  When they pack to go away, it seems like they take a complete change of clothes for each day, and judging by how many loads they say they do a day (I can't remember how many, but it was a lot), it seemed like they do that at home as well. In Karma's home, people are expected to wear things like pjs,  jeans and jumpers a few times before washing once they've outgrown playing in the dirt or spilling their food on themselves,

Who washes their jeans after a single use? I love worn in jeans- I usually only wash mine if they are visibly dirty, smokey from a campfire, or if I did some kind of cardio in them like hiking where I would have sweat more than normal. 

I feel like in Jeremy and Jinger's case, one stage 5 clinger met another stage 5 clinger. So now, we are subjected to a stage 10 Klingon.

10 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

Who washes their jeans after a single use? I love worn in jeans- I usually only wash mine if they are visibly dirty, smokey from a campfire, or if I did some kind of cardio in them like hiking where I would have sweat more than normal. 

For a family that cant be bothered to wash dishes and doesnt really sleep with sheets, theres no way they do that much laundry.

We know they sleep in "day" clothes as well... so we're legit looking at one pair of undies, clothes, and maybe some towels (assuming they dont reuse) per person/day.

13 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

JD is quite the catch in and out of fundy land. He reminds me of a few of my cousins, they are OK looking (maybe I'm not seeing something since they are family and EW) but they work hard are handy are homebodies, some country/farm girl would be in heaven with a guy like him.  He may not be a man who dotes on his girl, I'm sure he'll be a misogynistic asshole but the girl who marries him will expect that and prefer that (at least she will be told to) but he will work hard to provide for her, make sure they want for nothing and would do anything for her.  Just because I would want to feed him snot infused dinner doesn't mean someone else won't think he's the bees knees. 

Ya know, I don't get this talk of JD being such a hard worker.  he's as smug and lazy as his older brother Josh.  Daddy pays his way for pretty much everything.  He got elected to an unpaid law enforcement position because nobody ran against him so he got to play cop.  He played at the tow business.  He likes to play with the large equipment his family owns (many guys would).  Daddy bought him a plane and started an 'airline'.  He doesn't do a damn thing really but screw around. The rich, fundie kid equivalent of playing video games and living in mom and dads basement.  He is lazy and seems perfectly happy with the status quo of screwing around on the family dime and having his sisters do his laundry and cooking.

10 hours ago, Karma said:

(snip)

What I've never understood is the quantity of washing.  When they pack to go away, it seems like they take a complete change of clothes for each day, and judging by how many loads they say they do a day (I can't remember how many, but it was a lot), it seemed like they do that at home as well. In Karma's home, people are expected to wear things like pjs,  jeans and jumpers a few times before washing once they've outgrown playing in the dirt or spilling their food on themselves,

I think they take a full change of clothes because they basically wear them for 24 hours. I've never seen a Duggar bigger than toddler-sized wearing actual pajamas, and they didn't pack any.

45 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

For a family that cant be bothered to wash dishes and doesnt really sleep with sheets, theres no way they do that much laundry.

We know they sleep in "day" clothes as well... so we're legit looking at one pair of undies, clothes, and maybe some towels (assuming they dont reuse) per person/day.

Those mattresses must be so gross.

This is to @VelociRapture, nothing will make the quote box move up so I can put this underneath. I got the distinct impression that whatever the "advertised" purpose of ALERT was, families were really sending the kids there to pray away the sin, in whatever form that might take for each child.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

To everyone mentioning Alert -

Survival camp was simply a good storyline they could use to make the unmarried adult offspring look interesting. They could have learned useful skills at Alert and just acted like they didn't know anything. Or Alert could just be a massive waste if money and resources. I'm leaning towards it being a massive waste, but you never know.

They aren't going to mention the boys attending Alert on the show either way. Ever. Because that's a way of acknowledging their ugly beliefs, which they'd probably really like the audience to forget about.

24 minutes ago, Swamptribe said:

Ya know, I don't get this talk of JD being such a hard worker.  he's as smug and lazy as his older brother Josh.  Daddy pays his way for pretty much everything.  He got elected to an unpaid law enforcement position because nobody ran against him so he got to play cop.  He played at the tow business.  He likes to play with the large equipment his family owns (many guys would).  Daddy bought him a plane and started an 'airline'.  He doesn't do a damn thing really but screw around. The rich, fundie kid equivalent of playing video games and living in mom and dads basement.  He is lazy and seems perfectly happy with the status quo of screwing around on the family dime and having his sisters do his laundry and cooking.

JD is the new standard bearer, the new Joshly.  JD has to be seen as everything Josh is not - hard working, skilled, humble... Whether its true or not is irrelevant, its all about perceptions for the Duggars.

so I watched the condensed version of last week's episode (shouldn't TLC realise that if they're able to condense a show into a half hour, they really don't have enough content for an hour?) and this week's. For a change I made notes.

in the scene at Ben & Jessa's, Jim Bob seems the most like a "normal" dad I think he's ever been. He's almost kind of funny, in a cringy dad way. It makes me worry that they're trying to show him as less of a freak and more of a normal dad.

the way Ben says "chaperone" makes me want to punch him in the face

i still don't see a fucking bear

"this is the first time we've had people show up in an RV" - i don't doubt it, buddy

"the girls' clothes aren't appropriate" - who's shocked?

i'm pretty sure Josiah just said "supposavely". Not content with butchering the english language, we're now mispronouncing the mispronunciations.

the "Too Close to Home" promo claims to be TLC's "first scripted show"... ah, the irony

I actually enjoyed Joy's story about the jean dress with the different collars. Everybody has something like that, that they couldn't wait to wear and thought was the coolest thing ever, that they now look back on and cringe. Jessa's point about wearing her older sisters' hand-me-downs is pretty relatable, too, I think. I don't like how they are getting better at making these freaks seem more normal

wait, what? That baby is ~2 months old, and the shower was at least six or seven months ago (Spurgeon and Sierra's baby were newborns). That's ridiculously early for a shower. In my family we err on the side of the baby being present for the shower rather than having it too early

Ben and Jessa are wearing long sleeves and long pants. they've dressed the baby in short overalls with no shirt.

28 minutes in and no one has said the "a" word. Jessa's talking newborns instead. Wonder if she'd already missed her period by then. (oh, what was I saying about seeming normal? never mind)

now we're doing THs by facetime. jesus.

"we don't want another bear encounter" - THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULD PUT AWAY THE FUCKING FOOD YOU NUMBSKULL

ah, sweet, anniversary letters. nice paper, you really went all out. [kind of BEC, i know]

WHY DID THEY DO THIS SURVIVAL THING?? did they think they'd be sitting around the campfire making smores and looking at leaves and singing kumbaya? Did they not research it? Find out what they'd be doing and plan accordingly?

why do these people sleep in their clothes?

"You're welcome back anytime" - because we'll happily take your money for you to not participate properly in half the activities. Tell your friends.

30 minutes ago, just...sare said:

wait, what? That baby is ~2 months old, and the shower was at least six or seven months ago (Spurgeon and Sierra's baby were newborns). That's ridiculously early for a shower. In my family we err on the side of the baby being present for the shower rather than having it too early

That was the scripted shower just for filming.  A storyline.   I think she had another shower in April which was for family and friends .

1 hour ago, JesSky03 said:

Some people never wash their jeans.  I was told by my son a couple years back that was a thing.  While I don't go that far, I most definitely don't wash my jeans every single time I wear them, unless they got particularly dirty (which is rare) or I took a hike through a bunch of poison oak.  In fact, I don't wash most of my clothes upon a single wearing - because I don't sweat much, am fairly neat, and work in an office. 

I watched two episodes on youtube.  I FF'd through most of the survival camp stuff.  I do believe Jill and Derrick are quite happily married and compatible.  They seem gentle with Izzy.  He is a normal, active little boy.  It would be hard to keep him entertained if Jill stays behind closed doors in the house all day.  

I notice that Josie still gets held and carried around a lot, as if she's a much younger child.  Glad to see so very little of JB and Mechelle.  No sign of Anna or Josh in the episodes I watched (unless they were in the parts I FF'd), which was a huge plus.

2 hours ago, Swamptribe said:

During 19K&C, JD was seldom seen, and I think that led many people to assume he was working on various projects behind the scenes. However, I think you do raise a good point that not being seen on screen doesn't translate to "working hard at a real job," especially since JD hasn't gone to any kind of trade school that would make him marketable outside the fundie bubble. Even assuming JD is really a hard worker, his skill set isn't any better than that of the average day laborer, and the latter individual has the advantage of not showing up on "Duggar time."

Is is just me or was this episode a new low in the valleys of inanity? I made the mistake of watching in the morning, from now on will try to watch in the evening with a glass of wine so at least the drinking game will ease the pain.  The directors must be scripting some of this... surely the Duggars are not really this dumb. Especially Bin and Jessa just seem like morons, saying dumb things and then laughing after everything as though they are cracking themselves up.  The whole thing just seems to be aimed at a dumber and dumber audience.  I want my hour back!

4 hours ago, Swamptribe said:

He doesn't do a damn thing really but screw around.

I sure hope he does!

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Even assuming JD is really a hard worker, his skill set isn't any better than that of the average day laborer, and the latter individual has the advantage of not showing up on "Duggar time."

JD has a pilot's license.  The math is challenging.  Assuming from your comment that you don't think much of day laborers, I'd say JD is a cut above.  He ain't dumb.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived