IGNORED

The Hodnett Family Converting Scotland

Palimpsest

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Except for the occasional piece of decent chocolate and I save that for desperate times.  I was practically mainlining Cadbury's Fruit and Nut on Tuesday night - the good imported kind not the Hershey-made inferior stuff

Chocolate is my preferred medication, too. I find that 70-75% pure dark chocolate, nothing in it, is the most effective. 

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

That sounds like my sort of place to hide out and eat Granwych. As long as gallons of hot tea are served. 

You can have the teapot left at your table.   Clam fritters, fried shrimp, broiled shrimp, the same for scallops, clams (with or without bellies) calamari, oysters, several different species of fish...and now I am seriously hungry for seafood.

Many Chicago neighborhoods and some of the inner suburbs are very pedestrian and bike friendly. Mr. PNC and I do not own a car as we live in a fantastic location for public transit.

Smaller cities are hit and miss. If it's a big Uni town like Madison WI or Lincoln Nebraska (places I'm intimately familiar with) it can be pretty easy to get around except for deepest darkest winter. But typically most of the US it's too spread out and not enough sidewalk to make it practical.

I live in a rural area of upstate New York(about halfway between Rochester and Syracuse).  We have a county bus system, but it stops running after 6pm, and doesn't run on weekends.

Well, with mixed sorrow and delight it appears I'll be making an unexpected trip to Glasgow in the next several days. Someone close to Mr. PNC has passed which necessitates said trip.

Mr. PNC mentioned a day trip out of the city, to which I replied Dundee lol.

Btw I did tell him about the Hodnetts and he thought it particularly hilarious a bible thumping family from Georgia move to Glasgow and preach to Neds.

23 minutes ago, Peas n carrots said:

Well, with mixed sorrow and delight it appears I'll be making an unexpected trip to Glasgow in the next several days. Someone close to Mr. PNC has passed which necessitates said trip.

Mr. PNC mentioned a day trip out of the city, to which I replied Dundee lol.

Btw I did tell him about the Hodnetts and he thought it particularly hilarious a bible thumping family from Georgia move to Glasgow and preach to Neds.

I'm sorry you have to make the trip for sad circumstances. 

BUT pleeeese go to Dundee. If you spot anything interesting report back ASAP.:wine:

I'm finding Jody Hodnett super-fascinating.  On one hand, some of his little video-ettes make him seem really likeable - interacting with his friend before church in Carlisle, messing around on this slide - he seems like he'd be a lot more fun to be around than the average Fundy. 

But then there's things like this - talking about his wife using American Sign Language to "minister to" a French Deaf man.  It's like, there's a clue in the name, different countries use different sign language, including France and the UK, both of which have their own sign languages.  It's so frustrating!

And then I remind myself of how they mis-used the story of Tressa Middleton for their fund-raising video, and my heart hardens again...

I'm finding Jody Hodnett super-fascinating.  On one hand, some of his little video-ettes make him seem really likeable - interacting with his friend before church in Carlisle, messing around on this slide - he seems like he'd be a lot more fun to be around than the average Fundy. 
But then there's things like this - talking about his wife using American Sign Language to "minister to" a French Deaf man.  It's like, there's a clue in the name, different countries use different sign language, including France and the UK, both of which have their own sign languages.  It's so frustrating!
And then I remind myself of how they mis-used the story of Tressa Middleton for their fund-raising video, and my heart hardens again...

I just learned recently ASL is actually derived from French ASL, so there maybe some commonalities. I'm not an expert so hopefully someone fluent in sign or Deaf culture can reply with a more fleshed out answer.

I agree Jody doesn't seem to have a stick up his ass like some of the fundies we see. But the lack of cultural awareness is definitely fundie (but not necessarily limited to them).

We have a couple of roundabouts around here.  There's one or maybe two over at the Center for Automotive Research, one between Columbus and Tryon, NC and Herron Circle in Spartanburg.  Herron Circle's been there for years.  None of them are complicated or scary in the least.  They are supposed to be better for traffic flow than regular intersections.

We have a couple of roundabouts around here.  There's one or maybe two over at the Center for Automotive Research, one between Columbus and Tryon, NC and Herron Circle in Spartanburg.  Herron Circle's been there for years.  None of them are complicated or scary in the least.  They are supposed to be better for traffic flow than regular intersections.

Do you have the multilane roundabouts with traffic lights over there, too? Those ones can be complicated if you're not familiar with the concept (or, sometimes, the specific roundabout!)

On 11/15/2016 at 4:52 AM, alba said:

Do you have the multilane roundabouts with traffic lights over there, too? Those ones can be complicated if you're not familiar with the concept (or, sometimes, the specific roundabout!)

There are no traffic lights, but I think Hearon Circle and maybe the roundabout near Columbus, NC are multilane.  Hearon Circle is a major interchange in Spartanburg, SC on Business I-85 and the one in Columbus is just off I-26.  Hearon Circle has been around for as long as I can remember.  I think it's weird to have a roundabout as an interchange on the interstate built in the 50s or 60s, but it seems to work well.

There are no traffic lights, but I think Hearon Circle and maybe the roundabout near Columbus, NC are multilane.  Hearon Circle is a major interchange in Spartanburg, SC on Business I-85 and the one in Columbus is just off I-26.  Hearon Circle has been around for as long as I can remember.  I think it's weird to have a roundabout as an interchange on the interstate built in the 50s or 60s, but it seems to work well.

Well in that case there's no excuse for Jody to have difficulty with the roundabouts in Dundee :pb_lol: They're pretty tame up there, although I did see from his photos that he was in South Queensferry recently. Bet he had fun on the narrow cobbled roads.

I live down in the south of England, and it's been cold and nasty, and dark and horrible, and the rain's that disgusting horizontal kind that soaks you right through, and makes leaving the house so unpleasant....  and it'll be colder, getting dark earlier, and generally more wintery for the Hods way up in Dundee - must be a huge shock to the system, after Texas, right?

7 minutes ago, Lurky said:

I live down in the south of England, and it's been cold and nasty, and dark and horrible, and the rain's that disgusting horizontal kind that soaks you right through, and makes leaving the house so unpleasant....  and it'll be colder, getting dark earlier, and generally more wintery for the Hods way up in Dundee - must be a huge shock to the system, after Texas, right?

Ooh, yeah. We didn't get snow here in Edinburgh (although from the Daily Fail you'd think the entire country was blanketed in 2m of snow yesterday), but we've had some heavy rain, and on Thursday it was so muddy on the dirt path from my office to the parking lot that I got mud splatters all the way up the leg of my jeans. Good thing I was wearing my Doc Martens!

@alba How different are Scottish winters from what you're used to in Canada?

(I grin at Scottish winters, as if it ever snows in London, the news is all OMG SNOWMAGEDDON!!1!!11!!!!11  when it's been blanketed all over Scotland and the North of England for months!)

Well, I've always lived near the coast in Scotland (St Andrews and Edinburgh), so it almost never snows, aside from that one winter of 2010-2011 that people still talk about, when there was a couple of inches of snow for - wait for it - a whole MONTH.

That being said, I tend to find it colder here compared to back home. Although we can get windchills of up to -40C in Canada, it's usually only around -10C to -15C, and it's a dry cold, so it doesn't seep into your bones like 1C and damp in Edinburgh does. Coupled with the darkness, the grey skies and the general dreich weather, I find Edinburgh winters much more grim than Ontario winters.

Well it seems Jody's now found his way to Turnberry and has been on the receiving end of some snow, based upon a recent video. Of course he's got no hat on or anything and has his coat open so must be freezing up there.

Funny how he seems to spend a lot of time away from Dundee. I guess one of the sponsoring churches must be in Carlisle as he seems to be visiting there every Sunday or so for church. Guess that's why he needed a car. I thought he was there to set up his own church. That doesn't seem to be going so well so far.

The good side of these nincompoops grifting their way over here is finding out just how many FJers either live or have lived in Scotland. I'd really like to set up an Edinburgh meetup, but I'm not too sure how to go about it -- ideas?

1 hour ago, FrumperedCat said:

Well it seems Jody's now found his way to Turnberry and has been on the receiving end of some snow, based upon a recent video. Of course he's got no hat on or anything and has his coat open so must be freezing up there.

Funny how he seems to spend a lot of time away from Dundee. I guess one of the sponsoring churches must be in Carlisle as he seems to be visiting there every Sunday or so for church. Guess that's why he needed a car. I thought he was there to set up his own church. That doesn't seem to be going so well so far.

That drive from Dundee to Carlisle every weekend must be fun with kids in the car. There's some beautiful scenery, but it'll be about 3 hours each way.

@sea_gale I'd be interested in a meetup, but I'm only going to be here another month; I'm moving back to Canada just before Christmas :D

@alba, somewhat interesting fact for the hour (which your post comparing winters in Canada and Scotland reminded me of).  -40C and -40F are the same temperature.

3 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@alba, somewhat interesting fact for the hour (which your post comparing winters in Canada and Scotland reminded me of).  -40C and -40F are the same temperature.

aka, "Too effin cold"? :pb_lol:

10 hours ago, Lurky said:

@alba How different are Scottish winters from what you're used to in Canada?

(I grin at Scottish winters, as if it ever snows in London, the news is all OMG SNOWMAGEDDON!!1!!11!!!!11  when it's been blanketed all over Scotland and the North of England for months!)

What I find funny is how EVERY YEAR newspapers predict "Arctic blasts" and x inches of snow and it hasn't snowed in London for years. 

10 hours ago, alba said:

That being said, I tend to find it colder here compared to back home. Although we can get windchills of up to -40C in Canada, it's usually only around -10C to -15C, and it's a dry cold, so it doesn't seep into your bones like 1C and damp in Edinburgh does. Coupled with the darkness, the grey skies and the general dreich weather, I find Edinburgh winters much more grim than Ontario winters.

I was shocked at how pleasant Quebec winters were compared to UK winters. I don't mind the dry cold but that damp....ug!

12 hours ago, alba said:

Well, I've always lived near the coast in Scotland (St Andrews and Edinburgh), so it almost never snows, aside from that one winter of 2010-2011 that people still talk about, when there was a couple of inches of snow for - wait for it - a whole MONTH.

This!

We go out to Alberta every year, usually in winter, and I always feel extra cold when I get back. Having said that, we were totally spoilt this year with the weather this time.  Got back from Calgary on Monday after 3 weeks of glorious fall days. (Snow hit 2 days after we left). Experienced None stop rain and hail in the North West of England since getting back.. Brrr

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived