IGNORED

The Hodnett Family Converting Scotland

Palimpsest

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has he tried deep fried mars bar though!!!?dance.gif

Classic! I had my first one at the chippy under Glasgow Central a few years ago. It's like eating warm, gooey cookie dough.

14 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

Lockerbie would be on the way to/from Carlisle.

Scottish cuisine isn't exactly known for fresh healthy options, but damn I can find ways to be reasonably healthy and not eat a burger a day.

I wonder if he has discovered fried pizza yet?

Btw - I've read southern cuisine derived from the food the Scots Irish brought to America. No wonder he is digging his rounds of the best chippys in Scotland!

Oi!  Sorry, but this really grinds my gears - there are plenty of healthy options in our food.  Just look harder instead of brushing aside an entire country's cuisine, all right?

Jody is snarfing down the bacon sandwiches because he likes them. SIN COUNT: Gluttony

He's probably too lazy to search out healthier options. SIN COUNT: Sloth

Don't have time now to re-read the Hodnett stuff and see where he is on the rest of the Seven Deadlies but the final score is probably higher.

Oi!  Sorry, but this really grinds my gears - there are plenty of healthy options in our food.  Just look harder instead of brushing aside an entire country's cuisine, all right?

It's not as easy compared to where I live by a long shot. Not that I don't enjoy the local cuisine, it's just harder to find what I consider to be fresh and healthy. Especially in small towns, but that is true in much of US as well.

Jody can buy Quacker instant grits from Tesco supermarket. £4.50 a packet. 

Was going to let him know but I don't want him near my Facebook.

I just got some Quaker Instant Grits at the supermarket because they were on sale and the oatmeal was full price. :pb_lol: I paid $2.11 for a box of 12 individual  packets. I need to start cooking real oatmeal, grits, and other cooked cereals again, instead of getting the instant stuff.

12 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

It's not as easy compared to where I live by a long shot. Not that I don't enjoy the local cuisine, it's just harder to find what I consider to be fresh and healthy. Especially in small towns, but that is true in much of US as well.

My point still stands - just because you can't find them easily, doesn't mean they don't exist.

12 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

I'm really intrigued - of course in the Highlands there aren't supermarkets - but then the USA has Alaska, and all those places FJers tell us are hours away from any big shop - and small towns are small towns everywhere in the world.  But in Dundee there'll be the same supermarkets as anywhere in the UK, with fresh food, veg, the ingredients to make healthy meals etc.

What is it that people can't buy in Dundee that they could in an equivalent-sized USA town?  I know that some particular vegetables/fruit are hard to find because they're local to areas (eg people who can't find pawpaws in the UK, but are amazed that raspberries are so relatively cheap, or whatever) but between the supermarkets, Dundee farmers' market, and other shops, there's plenty of places people can buy healthy food.  And Dundee's definitely not one of the big UK cities.

In terms of traditional Scottish foods, porridge for breakfast is about as healthy as anyone can get.  I get that F&C isn't healthy, but then neither are the USA equivalents like McDonalds, KFC, Taco Bell etc etc.  Fast food is fast food, but while there are issues with, eg very poor housing estates on the edges of cities having a kebab shop, but no actual food shop, I'm pretty sure that's not unique to the UK, but the same everywhere - while eg poor inner city areas have tons of little corner shops selling all kinds of vegetables, just like in big cities everywhere.    

I lived in St Andrews for 2 years (so near Dundee, traveled there often when I did a Masters at Dundee Uni.)

Dundee has way more supermarkets than St Andrews! They have a 24 hour Asda! (Or did, not been in many years lol) You can find fresh food. Yeah, stuff you're getting from the takeaway has never seen a vegetable but that's the same at any fast food joint.

We totally should have an Edinburgh meetup. The Christmas Market has started and I've yet to venture to Princes Street for it (or is it in that other location again?)

My point still stands - just because you can't find them easily, doesn't mean they don't exist.

I never said you can't, but whatever you read into it what you want to read into it.
I'm really intrigued - of course in the Highlands there aren't supermarkets - but then the USA has Alaska, and all those places FJers tell us are hours away from any big shop - and small towns are small towns everywhere in the world.  But in Dundee there'll be the same supermarkets as anywhere in the UK, with fresh food, veg, the ingredients to make healthy meals etc.
What is it that people can't buy in Dundee that they could in an equivalent-sized USA town?  I know that some particular vegetables/fruit are hard to find because they're local to areas (eg people who can't find pawpaws in the UK, but are amazed that raspberries are so relatively cheap, or whatever) but between the supermarkets, Dundee farmers' market, and other shops, there's plenty of places people can buy healthy food.  And Dundee's definitely not one of the big UK cities.
In terms of traditional Scottish foods, porridge for breakfast is about as healthy as anyone can get.  I get that F&C isn't healthy, but then neither are the USA equivalents like McDonalds, KFC, Taco Bell etc etc.  Fast food is fast food, but while there are issues with, eg very poor housing estates on the edges of cities having a kebab shop, but no actual food shop, I'm pretty sure that's not unique to the UK, but the same everywhere - while eg poor inner city areas have tons of little corner shops selling all kinds of vegetables, just like in big cities everywhere.    

Nothing as good for breakfast as Scottish porridge. It keeps you full and warm too!

I guess since we stay in hotels or with family we tend to eat out a lot when we are over, which makes it hard the inlaws have pretty traditional tastes and aren't going to go for a grilled chicken quinoa bowl lol. But I'm spoiled and used to vending machines that have salad and local restaurant chains that list out all the calories, fat etc. And salad cream on any salad is ugh.

But back to Jody he maybe has the ability to cook in his home, and should be taking advantage of it.

1 hour ago, Peas n carrots said:

I guess since we stay in hotels or with family we tend to eat out a lot when we are over, which makes it hard the inlaws have pretty traditional tastes and aren't going to go for a grilled chicken quinoa bowl lol. But I'm spoiled and used to vending machines that have salad and local restaurant chains that list out all the calories, fat etc. And salad cream on any salad is ugh.

Ah, yeah, in-laws/friends with awful food choices - mine are all about really nasty theme pubs, with TGI Fridays as "fancy" - but sounds like that's more about where they're taking you, rather than Scotland as a whole.  Completely agree re lack of calorie mentions etc, that's not a UK thing - and salad cream is the devil's tears, it's nasty stuff!

2 hours ago, kassie said:

I lived in St Andrews for 2 years (so near Dundee, traveled there often when I did a Masters at Dundee Uni.)

Dundee has way more supermarkets than St Andrews! They have a 24 hour Asda! (Or did, not been in many years lol) You can find fresh food. Yeah, stuff you're getting from the takeaway has never seen a vegetable but that's the same at any fast food joint.

We totally should have an Edinburgh meetup. The Christmas Market has started and I've yet to venture to Princes Street for it (or is it in that other location again?)

Christmas market on Princes street. Skating ring in St. Andrews square. Cathedral of lights on George street, also some stalls. The market is well done this year. Very busy though!!

My goodness, have y'all never heard of urban food deserts?  Here is how the USDA defines it:  

The United States Department of Agriculture defines a food desert as a location where people live more than 10 miles away from a large grocery store in rural areas or more than a mile away in urban ones

I live in the foodie capital of Texas, with food trucks and hipster restaurants co-existing with infesting food deserts.   This would be the rapidly gentrifying East Austin,  where there are still many people who are too poor to own a car and public transportation (buses) are much more expensive than they should be and just a few grocery stores in a very large geographic area. 

A lack of access to healthy food is part of the reason Austin’s Sustainability Office reports 25 percent of the people living in and around the city are food insecure, or they do not know where their next meal is coming from. A report from the office in June 2016 lists four barriers to food access: availability, affordability, awareness and a lack of transportation.

“The City of Austin recognized that while the city is booming in a lot of ways, there’s a significant percentage of the population that’s still really struggling with some very basic things like whether to pay rent, whether to pay utility bills or whether to buy healthy food,” said Office of Sustainability Food Policy Manger Edwin Marty.

But back to the Hodnetts.  

Gluttony and sloth have been checked off the list, which leaves pride, covetousness, lust, anger and envy.  Aren't covetousness and envy kissing cousins?  It's certainly possible to covet food and envy others who are eating the coveted food, or to be proud when one eats the coveted food, knowing others envy you for the same reason.   

Cooking real oatmeal (the kind that comes in pellet form) is daunting, and the clean up kinda messy, but it's good.  

On 12/10/2016 at 1:49 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

he is availing himself of Plexus to lose weight.

Is someone grifting him Plexus?  It's quite expensive and certainly not affordable on their budget. 

Thanks, @Howl.  I was about to hold forth on US food deserts too.

I'm going to convict Jody on the sin of pride too.  It is extremely proud and self-satisfied to believe that your's is the only true path to God.

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Is someone grifting him Plexus?  It's quite expensive and certainly not affordable on their budget. 

Actually ... we don't know what his "budget" is and he may be rolling in donated cash.  He and John Shrader don't publish a budget - they just grift for needs that seem more like wants.

56 minutes ago, kunoichi66 said:

What is Plexus?

Plexus is some miracle "natural" health supplement mixture that will cure all your ills.  It's a MLM scam that a lot of Fundies are into these days, most notably the truly obnoxious and genuine genius at grifting "missionary" Jill Rodrigues.

The Rodrigii rabbit hole can be found here:  http://www.freejinger.org/forum/413-rvfull-of-grifting-rodrigues-family/

I'll ready the rescue ferrets.  For beverages - do you think you will need booze, and do you prefer sweet or savory snacks?

10 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Plexus is some miracle "natural" health supplement mixture that will cure all your ills.  It's a MLM scam that a lot of Fundies are into these days, most notably the truly obnoxious and genuine genius at grifting "missionary" Jill Rodrigues.

The Rodrigii rabbit hole can be found here:  http://www.freejinger.org/forum/413-rvfull-of-grifting-rodrigues-family/

I'll ready the rescue ferrets.  For beverages - do you think you will need booze, and do you prefer sweet or savory snacks?

Aaaaah, I see...

Actually, I don't, but hey!  They are fundies.  I don't think we're supposed to understand them.

I don't drink, so sweet and savoury (can I have both?) for me, please!!

Just now, kunoichi66 said:

I don't drink, so sweet and savoury (can I have both?) for me, please!!

Alcohol consumption is not required.  I usually ask for hot tea but sometimes coffee is better.  I've loaded the ferrets with fish and chips, bacon butties and fried Mars bars in honor of this thread.  

Perhaps I should have added some Plexus.:lol:

13 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

It's a MLM scam that a lot of Fundies are into these days, most notably the truly obnoxious and genuine genius at grifting "missionary" Jill Rodrigues.

Shoshanna Pearl Easling, her sister & in-laws are all into this bullshit, complete with wildly extravagant claims of health & miracle cures.

Just now, Palimpsest said:

Alcohol consumption is not required.  I usually ask for hot tea but sometimes coffee is better.  I've loaded the ferrets with fish and chips, bacon butties and fried Mars bars in honor of this thread.  

Perhaps I should have added some Plexus.:lol:

Wonderful!  Can we exchange the deep fried mars bars (never tried one, but not really a fan of deep fried things) with some nice hot tea then?

Maybe!  It might help, us you never know  :56247953c05d2_32(6):

Just now, kunoichi66 said:

Wonderful!  Can we exchange the deep fried mars bars (never tried one, but not really a fan of deep fried things) with some nice hot tea then?

Maybe!  It might help, us you never know  :56247953c05d2_32(6):

Done!  I've never tried a deep fried Mars bar either.  So hot tea and Dundee cake? :)

11 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Done!  I've never tried a deep fried Mars bar either.  So hot tea and Dundee cake? :)

*laughing* yes, Dundee cake is definitely appropriate for this subject.  Can I also recommend sponge cake?  Plain sponge tastes amaaaaazing with tea (also milk).

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, kunoichi66 said:

Can I also recommend sponge cake?  Plain sponge tastes amaaaaazing with tea (also milk).

I recommend my Scottish Granny's lemon sponge cake recipe with tea, but I just loaded a plain sponge onto a third ferret.  Seriously, you need lots of sustenance to tackle the Rodriguii. 

For example, Jill is so obnoxious that she held a "memorial service" for her still living but disabled in a car accident younger sister.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived