IGNORED

Lori Alexander 10: Fickle Brained Woman (and she would know)

Can someone explain to me why oh why do Lori and her fangirls think it's so so wonderful to brag that they are SAHM with 6, 7, 10 children and a husband who makes less than #30K/ yr.

I read one brag post about 10 children and less than $20K for the entire marriage.  Another who bragged that hubby worked all day ( military) and then delivered pizza at night. Another who bragged about re-usable sanitary cloths and cloths for the toilet (instead of TP). 

Why is this something to be proud of and brag about?

These women are living at poverty level (without any ebil gubmint help I'm sure) having more children than they can pay for, Probably without any medical or dental care. Possibly in insufficient housing and possibly with food insecurity.

Do they just pray no one gets sick, breaks a bone or has appendicitis?  Do they all just use the wonders of Dr. Black Salve and hope for the best?  Do they have the basic needs of life -- heat, clean water?

Don't they want a better life (on earth) for their children -- which usually means getting an education and making enough money to cover basic needs.

Because I just don't understand any parent who willingly puts their children through all this.

I grew up in the south, went to school with sharecroppers' children who lived in this kind of poverty.  Every single one of them had parents who pushed and pushed them to get up and out via education -- evil public school education at that.  And truthfully i would characterize them as somewhat fundamentalist Bible-believing Christians -- although I guess not by Lori's definition,

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because it is more godly to be an underemployed grifter:

Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they

Guest poster:

After high school I unwisely set off, wasted money on college and had no choice but to settle on a job that paid well

Well, bless her heart.  I am sure she really envied all of those lucky girls who didn't have the luxury of a college education or a job that paid well.  Can you imagine having to "settle" for a good paying job??  

Now, watch her flip flop when she's trying to explain why working makes absolutely no sense (keep in mind, her parents watched her child, so no daycare):

It was astounding to discover how much it cost me to work even without daycare; I earned pennies per hour. 

So she goes from the "burden" of a job that paid well, to asserting she earned "pennies" per hour.  How does that work?  

Now, perhaps she was wasting the money she earned, but I can't really figure how she was making pennies.  Lori kind of implies that she was a nurse, and the hours she gives matches that scenario.

She goes on to say:

I visited several banks. I drained my hoarded savings and paid off both auto loans. I released the small remnant of money into our joint account and under my husband's care. 

So her "pennies" added up to enough cash to pay off 2 car loans and still have some left over.  

Look, I have no problem with sahms.  I am one.  But call it what it is.  Say you want to stay home with your kids.  Say you want to be a sahw/sahm.  But don't sit there and act like education for women is a bad thing and a well paying job is a burden.  Don't lie and say your job paid "pennies" (right after you said it paid well) and then immediately refer to the gobs of cash you had "hoarded" away.

The problem with Lori and women like her is NOT that they want to stay home.  It's that they want everyone else to be forced into that same position.  If they don't want an education, then education is evil.  If they want to stay home, then a job is the mark of a bad mother who doesn't care about her children.  It's ridiculous.  No normal person would care that they stayed home if they'd just stop trying to force everyone else to do the same thing.

10 minutes ago, Koala said:

Guest poster:

Well, bless her heart.  I am sure she really envied all of those lucky girls who didn't have the luxury of a college education or a job that paid well.  Can you imagine having to "settle" for a good paying job??  

Now, watch her flip flop when she's trying to explain why working makes absolutely no sense (keep in mind, her parents watched her child, so no daycare):

So she goes from the "burden" of a job that paid well, to asserting she earned "pennies" per hour.  How does that work?  

Now, perhaps she was wasting the money she earned, but I can't really figure how she was making pennies.  Lori kind of implies that she was a nurse, and the hours she gives matches that scenario.

She goes on to say:

So her "pennies" added up to enough cash to pay off 2 car loans and still have some left over.  

Look, I have no problem with sahms.  I am one.  But call it what it is.  Say you want to stay home with your kids.  Say you want to be a sahw/sahm.  But don't sit there and act like education for women is a bad thing and a well paying job is a burden.  Don't lie and say your job paid "pennies" (right after you said it paid well) and then immediately refer to the gobs of cash you had "hoarded" away.

The problem with Lori and women like her is NOT that they want to stay home.  It's that they want everyone else to be forced into that same position.  If they don't want an education, then education is evil.  If they want to stay home, then a job is the mark of a bad mother who doesn't care about her children.  It's ridiculous.  No normal person would care that they stayed home if they'd just stop trying to force everyone else to do the same thing.

I believe she was a teacher. So that pays a lot less than nursing. 

I once got paid 5 cents an hour to direct the competitive one act play. I'm not kidding. My co-director kept track of the hours we spent and figured it out. We each got paid a nickel an hour that year. 

But I have a feeling Lori is just exaggerating for effect. And we know she has expensive tastes, too, so she may have been pretty excessive in what she spent for work clothing and for the classroom supplies and stuff that all teachers end up buying out of their own pockets. 

2 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

I believe she was a teacher. So that pays a lot less than nursing. 

I once got paid 5 cents an hour to direct the competitive one act play. I'm not kidding. My co-director kept track of the hours we spent and figured it out. We each got paid a nickel an hour that year. 

But I have a feeling Lori is just exaggerating for effect. And we know she has expensive tastes, too, so she may have been pretty excessive in what she spent for work clothing and for the classroom supplies and stuff that all teachers end up buying out of their own pockets. 

Lori was a teacher (the irony!), but this particular person is a guest poster.  

There's no telling at all what Lori wasted her money on.  Black salve, vitamins, and a household staff come to mind.  Lord knows what else.

22 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

This is a sincere question for my fellow FJ-ers, especially if you grew up fundie or had close contact with those who did.   

Lori and her fundie guest bloggers go on and on and on about being completely debt free on 1 income, ideally from the start of the marriage,  But they never give advice on how.  How does a couple start out completely debt free from Day 1?

Do they mean debt free except for rent/ mortgage and utilities?  Do they assume that the couple both worked and saved every dime for years and years before getting married and then bought the house for cash and the wife quit work? 

Where do these people live that they can save enough to buy a house for cash that isn't a complete wreck/ former crack house?  And if the house is a wreck even DIY renovations, especially for a wrecked house, cost money, assuming the couple are good at DIY.  Do they assume that the couple will live in this wreck of a house doing a little at a time over years and years? 

Or if the couple marries without having mega savings is the assumption they will live rent free with parents until they do have enough savings?

And even if the woman doesn't have school debt (because women don't need education and can just be at home waiting for Mr Godly Right) the guy usually does. So do fundies expect people to pay off school debt prior to marrying? 

Or do fundies have parents that gift them with a generous mortgage down payment (or house), a house full of furniture, and a completely paid for college education so there is no debt?

I'm all for not accumulating credit-card debt if one can help it, but sometimes it's unavoidable; same with mortgage debt.

And do fundies understand about taking things off their taxes -- like mortgage interest for example or business expenses since so many of them seems self -employed?  Or is that just bad, bad, very bad and an ebil gubmint plot and not godly at all?

They make choices that would not work for everyone, and they make A LOT of assumptions. 

Most of them are or were supported by their parents as young adults. At the very least, they are allowed and encouraged to stay at home as long as possible, so that they don't have to spend money on things like rent. Most of them live in the middle of nowhere, where housing is cheap and cost of living is low. I live in a low-moderately priced city, and here's an example of a perfectly decent house priced at $40K. It's not perfect, but it's livable and in an easily commutable area. Move further away from the city, and you could potentially go lower. http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1021-Benton-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15212_M34830-40785#photo2

Most of them are self-employed, working low-skill niche businesses (like Gil Bates' tree service), or have an innate skill that lends itself to self-teaching (like the M is for Mama chick who has a thread right now, whose husband works in IT). That way you can skip the college expenses. Those types of jobs are not an option for everyone. Also, many of the people touting debt-free living are basing their perspective on conditions 20-30 years ago, when it was easier to get a decent job without college and college cost a lot less. 

Many of them neglect their kids' needs to the point that it's almost criminal. Kelly at Generation Cedar used to take her kids to the vet for things like stitches, because the vet was a family friend and they couldn't afford a doctor. The Jeubs provided clothes and shoes for their kids by waiting for handouts to be left at their house, because they couldn't even afford thrift store clothes. They do things like homebirth whether it's safe or not, because homebirth is cheap, and if it's unattended you don't even have to pay a midwife. They use programs like Samaritan Ministries, which encourage reckless medical behavior in the name of cost savings. 

You can bet they will take every single deduction they are entitled to, and lobby the government for more if possible. Jim Bob either campaigned on a platform or supported a candidate who wanted to give tax refunds to homeschooling families who didn't use the public school system. If the Earned Income Credit gives them a tax refund larger than what they actually paid, that doesn't count as a government handout because reasons. 

TLDR, there are 2 camps. People like Lori, Abigail, and Abbie from M is for Mama, who come from wealthier backgrounds, with families who can and will help them out with any conceivable expense. Don't hold your breath waiting for them to acknowledge their privilege, it will never happen. The others, like Kelly Crawford, the Coghlans, and the 7xSunday crowd, end up living in poverty conditions and forcing their kids to do the same, but it's noble because DEBT-FREE.

4 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Can someone explain to me why oh why do Lori and her fangirls think it's so so wonderful to brag that they are SAHM with 6, 7, 10 children and a husband who makes less than #30K/ yr.

I read one brag post about 10 children and less than $20K for the entire marriage.  Another who bragged that hubby worked all day ( military) and then delivered pizza at night. Another who bragged about re-usable sanitary cloths and cloths for the toilet (instead of TP). 

Why is this something to be proud of and brag about?

These women are living at poverty level (without any ebil gubmint help I'm sure) having more children than they can pay for, Probably without any medical or dental care. Possibly in insufficient housing and possibly with food insecurity.

Do they just pray no one gets sick, breaks a bone or has appendicitis?  Do they all just use the wonders of Dr. Black Salve and hope for the best?  Do they have the basic needs of life -- heat, clean water?

Don't they want a better life (on earth) for their children -- which usually means getting an education and making enough money to cover basic needs.

Because I just don't understand any parent who willingly puts their children through all this.

I grew up in the south, went to school with sharecroppers' children who lived in this kind of poverty.  Every single one of them had parents who pushed and pushed them to get up and out via education -- evil public school education at that.  And truthfully i would characterize them as somewhat fundamentalist Bible-believing Christians -- although I guess not by Lori's definition,

I saw the comment about the husband delivering pizzas at night and then another woman replied that when she was a kid that dads got side jobs so moms could stay at home. I think they are bragging to show that their husbands/fathers are so "righteous and godly" for doing anything for mom to stay at home. I've known people who have taken on overtime, night or weekend jobs for extra money for their families, but in those situations it was usually to get themselves out of debt or to get extra money for specific things and once they got what they needed they quit extra those jobs. My cousin and her husband had their first baby in April. For the past few years, they had been working weekend jobs like waiting tables and refereeing high school soccer and basketball to get extra money to pay off student loans at a quicker pace. My cousin has kept her Monday-Friday job at a property management company and doesn't plan to work weekends again.  Her mom is retired and is babysitting for free. My cousin's hubby is a social worker and still plans to ref soccer and basketball games for extra money for a few more years.

I don't have kids and my boyfriend and I are on the fence about having kids if we marry. I work mostly from home, but if I was working somewhere else I could quit and we would be ok raising a couple of kids on one salary. Lori's fangirls on Facebook sound like women whose husbands' main job earnings aren't enough to comfortably support a family especially if they are having bigger families. Prior to those Facebook comments, a woman commented on Lori's blog about how her husband worked multiple jobs so she could stay at home. In a way  I feel bad for those husbands having to work more than one job just so their wives could stay at home. That's too much pressure and stress people deserve to relax here and there.

The women who commented about having a family of 10 on 20k salary sounds crazy and like I said before they have be cutting a lot of corners and maybe they depending on handouts from various groups. There is nothing wrong with taking help when you are going through job loss or medical issues. But, when fundies set out to have large families when the husband can't afford it, it's hard to sympathize with them.

I'm a former military officer's wife. The enlisted members do make less than officers but are provided housing and family medical care. I don't see why a military man would need to have a second job even on enlisted pay unless there was previous debt.  

I guess women are supposed to let their husbands work themselves into an early grave and miss out on seeing their children. Do these people even realize children miss their dads too?

There is no way I would let my husband work two jobs so I could stay home for a few hours of cooking and cleaning.

1 minute ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

I don't see why a military man would need to have a second job even on enlisted pay unless there was previous debt.  

Try being an E-3 with 2 kids...base housing is full (and run down, full of bugs) and in town is expensive. 

Hubs retired E-6. Even with pay/allowances, I still worked so we could live somewhere other than housing. 

2 hours ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

I'm a former military officer's wife. The enlisted members do make less than officers but are provided housing and family medical care. I don't see why a military man would need to have a second job even on enlisted pay unless there was previous debt.  

I guess women are supposed to let their husbands work themselves into an early grave and miss out on seeing their children. Do these people even realize children miss their dads too?

There is no way I would let my husband work two jobs so I could stay home for a few hours of cooking and cleaning.

I would never let my husband take another job (while he was not on deployment) HELL NO. What would be the point to have him be away from me (and if we had kids, the kids) even more than he has to? Are you kidding me? I would feel absolutely selfish and guilty to my core if my husband had to work a job on top of his military job that makes him leave on deployment 6+ months out of the year so that I could stay home. For us, it would be useless and just us taking on more hardship than necessary. Perhaps that was an only option for that family, but I would be looking into every. single. avenue. to make sure my husband didn't have to do that.

Do other branches not have Basic Allowance for Housing? If we lived on base, they take all of our BAH, but we live in town and thankfully found a place that is cheaper than BAH. So we would be losing about $350 a month including paying for utilities if we lived on base housing.

The base close to me also has childcare that amounts to something ridiculously cheap. I don't remember how much, but I know it was cheap enough that she would drop her toddler off when she needed to do a huge day of errands while her husband was gone.

3 hours ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

35 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

I would never let my husband take another job (while he was not on deployment) HELL NO. What would be the point to have him be away from me (and if we had kids, the kids) even more than he has to? Are you kidding me? I would feel absolutely selfish and guilty to my core if my husband had to work a job on top of his military job that makes him leave on deployment 6+ months out of the year so that I could stay home. For us, it would be useless and just us taking on more hardship than necessary. Perhaps that was an only option for that family, but I would be looking into every. single. avenue. to make sure my husband didn't have to do that.

Do other branches not have Basic Allowance for Housing? If we lived on base, they take all of our BAH, but we live in town and thankfully found a place that is cheaper than BAH. So we would be losing about $350 a month including paying for utilities if we lived on base housing.

The base close to me also has childcare that amounts to something ridiculously cheap. I don't remember how much, but I know it was cheap enough that she would drop her toddler off when she needed to do a huge day of errands while her husband was gone.

The husbands being away from their wives and children a lot is what I find sad about those situations. I totally get that in some situations a family might need one spouse might to work multiple jobs if there was a lot of previous debt. If they don't have a lot debt or not, but can't afford on the husband's salary it's awful that husbands have to be away working multiple jobs.

12 hours ago, louisa05 said:

she may have been pretty excessive in what she spent for work clothing and for the classroom supplies and stuff that all teachers end up buying out of their own pockets. 

I dunno, I find it hard to believe that Lori spent a dime on classroom supplies or anything like that.  Her clothes, her car, maybe, but $$ spent on the poor kids who had the misfortune of being in her classroom?  I sincerely doubt it.   She did not want to be there and she most likely disliked her students.

4 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Try being an E-3 with 2 kids...base housing is full (and run down, full of bugs) and in town is expensive. 

Hubs retired E-6. Even with pay/allowances, I still worked so we could live somewhere other than housing. 

I live near a naval base.  For the last 40+ years that I've been in the work force in this area, I've worked beside so many military wives (with children and without) who worked in order to provide better for their families.  I have nothing but gratitude and heartfelt thanks for every single service person, his or her family, and the sacrifices they make to defend our country.  

13 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Oh yikes!  Sorry to hear that.  The housing any place we lived was pretty good (enlisted and officers).  One even included washers and dryers.  The one thing that sucked was my hubby was a Lt. and you had to be a Major or above to get a dishwasher. 

My husband did work a second job while our kids were little and I still stayed home full time (hanging head in shame). BUT....it was a Saturday job at which he taught a review course for a specific professional licensing exam, and he was paid fifty dollars an hour. We decided that a couple of those six-week stints for such excellent money (and half a day a weekend) was much better than my taking a retail job with unpredictable hours, etc. That was a very unusual circumstance but it was so SO helpful to us. Another great thing was that he was able to match other young professionals up with the same kind of job. It really was an opportunity that was too good to pass up in that specific field and if they could get their foot in the door it was easy to pick up a cycle of classes when they wanted and take a break when they wanted or needed to. 

If he had not found that opportunity, I would have gladly worked at the mall or found a waitressing job - anything that allowed me some part time hours. 

My fundie-lite sister often wears her "poverty" as a badge of honor. I think these people think they are more righteous in their sacrifice than we are in our security.  The thing is, her husband has a very good job and it is often more a case of they choose not to spend their money rather than they don't have the money. But that doesn't sound as Godly, I guess. 

30 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

My husband did work a second job while our kids were little and I still stayed home full time (hanging head in shame). BUT....it was a Saturday job at which he taught a review course for a specific professional licensing exam, and he was paid fifty dollars an hour. We decided that a couple of those six-week stints for such excellent money (and half a day a weekend) was much better than my taking a retail job with unpredictable hours, etc. That was a very unusual circumstance but it was so SO helpful to us. Another great thing was that he was able to match other young professionals up with the same kind of job. It really was an opportunity that was too good to pass up in that specific field and if they could get their foot in the door it was easy to pick up a cycle of classes when they wanted and take a break when they wanted or needed to. 

If he had not found that opportunity, I would have gladly worked at the mall or found a waitressing job - anything that allowed me some part time hours. 

My fundie-lite sister often wears her "poverty" as a badge of honor. I think these people think they are more righteous in their sacrifice than we are in our security.  The thing is, her husband has a very good job and it is often more a case of they choose not to spend their money rather than they don't have the money. But that doesn't sound as Godly, I guess. 

Don't hang your head in shame. It was a Saturday job. I felt bad for the husband of the woman who was delivering pizzas at night after his Army job.

Just now, lilwriter85 said:

Don't hang your head in shame. It was a Saturday job. I felt bad for the husband of the woman who was delivering pizzas at night after his Army job.

Oh I got your point completely. I agree with you that it's jut silly for a man to work two or more jobs that wear him out and keep him away from his family. Of course, in Lori's world kids don't need their fathers to actually be present. She'd rather those kids see their daddy walking out the door all the time than have a working mother. 

In my sister's case, her husband would rather spend time away from the kids, sadly. Maybe that's how many of these families are. 

On 8/14/2016 at 8:52 PM, smittykins said:

"Rythmns"?

I'll be the first to admit I often have trouble with that word, but...

Rhythm Helps Your Two Hips Move! (That's the only reason I know how to spell it every time!)

55 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Oh I got your point completely. I agree with you that it's jut silly for a man to work two or more jobs that wear him out and keep him away from his family. Of course, in Lori's world kids don't need their fathers to actually be present. She'd rather those kids see their daddy walking out the door all the time than have a working mother. 

In my sister's case, her husband would rather spend time away from the kids, sadly. Maybe that's how many of these families are. 

In Lori's world, her children's daddy thinks incest is normal and child molestation is no big deal, so maybe I can't fault her thinking there (well, once she's made the disgusting decision to stay with a man who espouses those views "keep dad out of the house" seems preferable to "have dad spend more time with the kids").  

You know, Lori likes to brag about how godly her kids are, and all thanks to her stellar parenting (naturally).  When you look at how she describes their childhood though, it paints a really sad picture.

I met a woman in this neighborhood who had one child and decorated her home beautifully. She invested hours and hours and a lot of money into her home. She kept it perfectly clean. I wanted to have a home like hers so I went about creating my home as close to hers as possible.

It was during this time that Ken and I argued about money. I finally asked him to give me a budget and he did. However, instead of waiting patiently for the time I could buy something new, I would buy it on “credit” and have to wait a long time to be able to pay it off with the budget I had been given. I had fallen for the trap of having a gorgeously decorated home that cost a lot of money – the America dream.

During this time, Ken was gone from home traveling half of the year and my children needed my undivided attention but I was too busy painting, shopping for, and fixing up my home. 

When you compile this with everything else she's said about raising her children, it's just heartbreaking.  

Infancy:

-Left to CIO from 3 weeks on.  Lori didn't even check on them, for fear that it would make them cry longer.

-Flicked the cheeks of nursing infants hard enough to make them cry.

-Swatted their legs if they wiggled during diaper changes.

-Swatted their hands when they learned to crawl.

-Ken found them boring, so he paid them little attention.  Because basketball.

Toddlerhood:

-Leather strap was introduced.  

- 4 hour long discipline sessions because of spilled raisins.

-Nanny held Lori's baby for hours a day because she couldn't stand the fact that Lori just left her to cry.

School Years:

-Mix of Christian & homeschool.  Homeschool consisted of math, reading, and spending mandatory time in their rooms daily, so as not to disturb The Godly Mentor.

-Ken was gone for over half the year.  Lori was too busy decorating the house and spending money to be there when they needed her.

-Sometime during this time frame, Ken left a bruise on one of the kids while "disciplining" them. He also pushed one of the boys down.

-Ken encouraged them to continue games, despite sports injuries-  he believed this would prepare them for war.  Seriously.

-Big salads were served and force fed on a nightly basis.  Ken brought in his own food, and the kids wanted it.  This irritated Ken.  One child sometimes sat at the table for hours, refusing to eat the salad.

Highschool years-

-Mix of Christian school and public school.

-Lori was sick.  

-Marriage problems were probably reaching their peak at that point.

-Ken noticed their daughter was carrying 5 lbs. of extra weight.  This was an issue for both Ken and Lori.  They set about telling the girls that being overweight is sinful.  Both girls struggled with body image/eating issues.  

-Ken learns to dye their hair.  Because?  No clue.  

Current:

-Lori spends her days gossiping on the net and advising women how to be Godly wives/mothers.  For real.

-Ken becomes a member of FJ.  He occasionally rides in on his Gold Mercedes Horse of Truth to assist Lori when she has no idea how to respond to the intelligent questions of her readers.
-Lori goes viral.  The internet cries.

2 hours ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

Oh yikes!  Sorry to hear that.  The housing any place we lived was pretty good (enlisted and officers).  One even included washers and dryers.  The one thing that sucked was my hubby was a Lt. and you had to be a Major or above to get a dishwasher. 

Thanks for this new insight! Now, I picture a freshly promoted Major in his dress uniform, all shiny and proud, secretly dreaming of his new dishwasher :my_angel:...

Oh Koala, this is a thing of beauty -- and all of it is info easily gleaned from LoriKen's own posts.

if you would only post this on her FB --  and maybe at least one of the fan girls would see the light about Lori's duplicity and ... hypocrisy?  I'm not sure hypocrisy is a strong enough word but can't think of another one.

Does anyone know when in the timeline the housekeeper showed up?  I imagine in toddlerhood and probably stayed through all the years Lori was sick.

I suspect the housekeeper is still there given the hours and hours and hours daily Lori is godly mentoring on the interwebz.  

2 hours ago, usmcmom said:

Given how some of these women describe their husbands, they might prefer their husbands out of the house, too.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived