IGNORED

Kaci Lynn is here - Whitney and Zach's 2nd baby

Mrs. Figg

3 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

That particular person is a doctor so they 1.couched it in terms of medical concern and 2. got their spouse believing their crap so they started to say it all the time too.

So not happening again.

You are so vulnerable to pressure around the time you give birth. I know I was completely zoned out and in a bit of a daze for days before, during and after birth, and not at all in the frame of mind to be defending myself against that type of subtle pressure. 

Your husband sounds great, it is good to have a non hormonal person that can be alert to what is really going on.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, jas said:

You are so vulnerable to pressure around the time you give birth. I know I was completely zoned out and in a bit of a daze for days before, during and after birth, and not at all in the frame of mind to be defending myself against that type of subtle pressure. 

Your husband sounds great, it is good to have a non hormonal person that can be alert to what is really going on.

At the hospital I go to they call this a Patient Advocate. They always want you to have someone with you when you go in, no matter what the procedure is. Even if you're not hormonal from pregnancy, you're still stressed or anxious about the impending procedure. It's easy to be talked into something that you don't want to do if the doctor sounds nice enough.

I've read about a lot of horror stories of women's birth experiences not being taken seriously while they were GIVING BIRTH and that is just so disgusting that they can't even make decisions about their own bodies. I think my hospital does a great thing when asking everyone to bring in an Advocate.

• 1 month later...

I guess this is the Whitney thread so I will repost what I posted in the main thread since I know people have certain threads they read and don't read. Whitney wears jeans! LOL very excited about it. It was on her Instagram "story" which is like a snapchat but doesn't stay on the page permanently. You have to click on her picture to see it. Here's w screenshot 

image.png

I'm surprised it's taken this long to go public with the tank top and jeans wearing. I guess it was only a matter of time.

I came here to post this!My heart was so happy since I always felt she was pressured into wearing skirts. I kind of wonder if Zach's secular job has anything to do with the switch. My husband is a police officer and let's just say they aren't the quiver full havin' skirt wearin wives type.  

Wearing pants not equal stepping away from fundamentalism. It doesn't even indicate taking baby steps.

It's just nice to see. She has been able to retain this personal autonomous choice. Even if it means nothing more than that, it's nice to see. Her daughter will wear pants, unlike the Bates girls as of now.

I remember in fourth grade when girls were allowed to wear jeans to school, my mom got me a pair, but they weren't really denim; they just looked like it. It was kind of her concession to the whole thing, but by a couple years later, she was wearing jeans, too. This has nothing to do with what the Bates do; it was just called to my mind.

I saw the "snap/story" last night and didn't even notice. Good for her! She looks lovely and perfectly modest to me. I do wonder if the Bates are being more lax with their clothing choices, or if Whitney feels as if she can only wear pants when it's just her and Zach together alone. Hopefully we will start seeing her wear them around the whole fam.

2 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Wearing pants not equal stepping away from fundamentalism. It doesn't even indicate taking baby steps.

That's absolutely true.  Just glad to see her wearing what she wants and not feel like she has to wear skirts only to fit into his family. The horrible beliefs are probably still there though.

Seriously, nobody said anything about her taking baby steps away from fundie land. I just said I was happy that she had other wardrobe choices because I never felt she really wanted to give up her pants in the first place. 

17 minutes ago, crazysnark said:

Seriously, nobody said anything about her taking baby steps away from fundie land. I just said I was happy that she had other wardrobe choices because I never felt she really wanted to give up her pants in the first place. 

It's been said a lot by other posters in the past. I think it was meant more as a reminder in general than directed at you (or anyone) in particular - that way people who don't know learn something new and those who do don't forget if they get a bit excited about it.

That said, she looks nice and perfectly modest. The outfit is actually very similar to what I usually wear, so I'm probably a bit biased in that regard. And Kaci is adorable as always.

27 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

I saw the "snap/story" last night and didn't even notice. Good for her! She looks lovely and perfectly modest to me. I do wonder if the Bates are being more lax with their clothing choices, or if Whitney feels as if she can only wear pants when it's just her and Zach together alone. Hopefully we will start seeing her wear them around the whole fam.

I think both are likely. I don't really see Kelly and Gil being ok with unmarried daughters wearing pants anytime soon. I think they've made too big a deal out of skirts and dresses only for too long to really backtrack on that all at once - but they do seem to be loosening a bit on other aspects of their daughters' fashion choices. Still well within the IBLP guidelines, but at least they aren't stuck in frumpers all the time.

I feel like at least it's one tiny step away from being a legalistic holier-than-thou type. Christians who act like they are better than other Christians (and everyone else) are a big pet peeve of mine (and are not acting very Christ-like). And she and Alyssa might show the younger girls hey, you can still be a good person even if you wear pants and watch movies. We will just have to see how Zach and Whitney turn out, if they go more or less fundie. 

The only thing that shocked me about Zach and Whitney was the HUGE movie collection at their house. I saw some rated R ones in the background when some of the kids came over for a movie night. I think Bradley will get to watch a whole lot more than pooh bear. Even John and Alyssa don't have a tv and they are the ones people think are moving away from being fundie. 

However I am fully aware that you can watch R rated movies and still be anti choice and against gay marriage. (Sorry I had to :) ) 

I won't hold my breath waiting for any Bates kid/in-law to espouse non-fundie beliefs beyond superficial ones about attire, but good on Whitney for wearing what she likes. After all the rumors that she was pressured into fundie-wear, it is nice to see that she's dressing outside of the fundie box. Gives me a bit of hope that Kaci Lynn and the two Webster girls might have broader horizons than their mothers were allowed to have. Not a lot of hope, but a bit.

1 hour ago, crazysnark said:

The only thing that shocked me about Zach and Whitney was the HUGE movie collection at their house. I saw some rated R ones in the background when some of the kids came over for a movie night. I think Bradley will get to watch a whole lot more than pooh bear. Even John and Alyssa don't have a tv and they are the ones people think are moving away from being fundie. 

However I am fully aware that you can watch R rated movies and still be anti choice and against gay marriage. (Sorry I had to :) ) 

Do you remember the titles of any of them? Now I'm nosy.

I wonder if she put those pants on and song "at laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast" in her head.

Of anyone wearing jeans, Whitney is the one I'm least surprised by.  She wore normal clothes until she & Zach got serious, to my mind it was a matter of time before she wore them again, the question was when she'd let herself go public in jeans.  I was a bit surprised it took so long especially once one of her sisters in law (Alyssa) started wearing jeans, thus meaning she wasn't the rebell who married into the family and didn't stick to dress code.  Plus having a girl could well make her & Zach re evaluate clothing choices - are they going to want their toddler running around being active in skirts only?  Allie & Kasi will get jeans as they get older, note Kasi's leggings and no overskirt, and Allie has been in leggings as well.  The question is which of those two will get shorts & a normal bathing suit?

15 minutes ago, imokit said:

Of anyone wearing jeans, Whitney is the one I'm least surprised by.  She wore normal clothes until she & Zach got serious, to my mind it was a matter of time before she wore them again, the question was when she'd let herself go public in jeans.  I was a bit surprised it took so long especially once one of her sisters in law (Alyssa) started wearing jeans, thus meaning she wasn't the rebell who married into the family and didn't stick to dress code.  Plus having a girl could well make her & Zach re evaluate clothing choices - are they going to want their toddler running around being active in skirts only?  Allie & Kasi will get jeans as they get older, note Kasi's leggings and no overskirt, and Allie has been in leggings as well.  The question is which of those two will get shorts & a normal bathing suit?

Given a picture which was later removed I have a strong suspicision I know but since it was removed I am not going to say more than that...

It's been said a lot by other posters in the past. I think it was meant more as a reminder in general than directed at you (or anyone) in particular

That's exactly what I meant. Thanks for the clarification@VelociRapture.

4 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Do you remember the titles of any of them? Now I'm nosy.

I wonder if she put those pants on and song "at laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast" in her head.

I know that had the action movie Taken, which I think is PG-13, but it has plenty of bad words and killing and I think some nudity. 

I'm glad to see Whitney is back in pants/jeans.

No, it doesn't mean she is going to start fundraising for planned parenthood and start publicly standing up for LGBT rights or anything, but I am glad to see she has 'taken something back' from her extended family. She started wearing skirts/dresses only to fit in and now she's decided she wants to go back to them. It's a small step, but one that shows she is able to 'stand up' to her in laws a little which is a great sign. It also shows Zac is comfortable with it (which shouldn't matter, but this is a patriarchal headship culture) which could mean the rules are relaxed a little for Kaci, which can only be a good thing. 

I think Whitney in jeans is an important step, but not because it makes her less fundie, but because she changed her clothes in order to fit in Bates family, and now she's coming back to her usual clothes. For me, it means that:

1.-She feels loved enough in he family so she feels free to use wordly clothes without the fear of being scolded (maybe not directly scolded, but I think Kelly can be very passive-agressive in her opinions and can easily hurt someone as insecure as Whitney).

2.-Zach met Whitney when she wear pants and modern clothes and obviously he liked it. Probably it was Whitney herself who decided to use skirts only, just to please Kelly and Gil. If zach had been looking for a mega-fundie wife, he had never dated Whitney, so I don't think jeans were a huge problem to him. I've always thought that Zach is OK with wordly things and a fundie modern way of life. He's probably happy with Whitney in jeans and tank tops, and has always been.

15 hours ago, imokit said:

Of anyone wearing jeans, Whitney is the one I'm least surprised by. 

I'm surprised because Whitney made a lot of changes just to please her parents-in-law. She's a person that has suffered a lot (she was abused, then fostered as a teen...). She seemed so insecure and grateful for having Zach and being accepted in Bates family that I'm sure she was willing to do whatever to fit,  including wearing a burkini hahaha. 

I mean, Alyssa could know that Kelly would be pissed of because her in jeans. But she also knew that Kelly loved her and clothes are not such a big deal to change that. But when the attachment is weaker and you need to fit in a family, it's more difficult to break a rule. That's why I think it was easier for Alyssa to wear jeans and it was harder for Whitney.

This said, I would be far more suprised if I see Michael in jeans. 

What makes everyone think she just threw out all of her pants once she married Zach? I always just figured she wore them privately at home and kept up the charade of dresses and skirts for filming/visiting the in-laws. Just because they weren't photographed, doesn't mean she didn't wear them over the last few years. 

Heck, if you saw me every time I went to my extended families' houses, you'd think I was a dress-only fundie (but a heathen fundie because you can see my knees.) We just happen to be one of those families who dresses up for holidays and then it stuck even for casual get togethers. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived