IGNORED

Kaci Lynn is here - Whitney and Zach's 2nd baby

Mrs. Figg

52 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I'm gonna try to be as delicate as possible:

Great job! :lol:

That is very clever.  I have to admit that my arthritic knees make al fresco nose powdering a little tricky these days.  I'm wondering whether it would negate the only piece of decent advice that I was ever given - if on a slope face down-hill!  Opinions?

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Great job! :lol:

That is very clever.  I have to admit that my arthritic knees make al fresco nose powdering a little tricky these days.  I'm wondering whether it would negate the only piece of decent advice that I was ever given - if on a slope face down-hill!  Opinions?

That makes sense. Yes, positioning yourself so that your feet are facing downhill helps a bit as well. Definitely don't want your feet facing uphill. And watch out for strong winds...

9 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I'm gonna try to be as delicate as possible:

You pull your pants and underwear down around your ankles. What I used to do was squat and direct the stream in front of my ankles, more the way a guy would do it. But towards the end when pressure was lower, the urine would hit my underwear/pants. Instead, when you squat, shift your weight back a bit and direct the urine behind your ankles and your bunched up clothes. Some women have to go completely into a crab position, others can tilt their hips enough behind them that they can do it without putting their hands on the ground. You still have to make sure you angle enough back that you don't pee on the back of your shoes, especially if you really have to pee and the pressure has built up a lot. When you're done give a little shake and pull up your clothes. Voila. Takes about thirty seconds total.

I run on trails a lot and have done this tons of times and it's foolproof for me. I'm also faster than guys when peeing now. I know because a dude friend and I tested it. 

It works with shorts, pants, and short skirts. Maxis can be a bit trickier, but it still can be done.

You're welcome lady FJers. :tw_glasses:

I had to pee in the woods starting at a very young age and this is always how I peed or pooped in the woods.

Here is a tip for when you are drunk. If you are a little wobbly, lean your back against a wall if you've got one handy. Or if you're peeing between cars, hold onto the car handle for support so you don't drunkenly fall over.

Looks like Taryn Yager was there to document the whole birth - zack and whit posted a video. Some lovely pictures, but I don't think I'll ever understand the "let's make it a family event" approach to birth...

5 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

Looks like Taryn Yager was there to document the whole birth - zack and whit posted a video. Some lovely pictures, but I don't think I'll ever understand the "let's make it a family event" approach to birth...

Personally, it's not something I would ever choose. The only person I want at the Hospital during and immediately after I give birth is my husband. I'll probably ask him to take a few pictures of me with baby right after the birth (and I'll do the same for him) - everyone else can come by a few hours later when I feel ready for visitors (especially since the Hospital I'll give birth at is in the city right next to our hometown - no one will have to drive more than 30 or so minutes to get there.) And even then, if baby winds up in NICU for some reason then no one will be invited to visit until they're released. My sister and BIL did that when their son was born and it allowed them time to focus on their baby without being distracted by excited relatives.

But I can also see why some couples may want to document it more fully or may want extra support from close family or friends. Especially Fundie couples - I mean, their entire job in life is to provide more blessings for Jesus. Why not have extra people there to support you and document the entire miraculous special snowflake experience?

I think I'd want labor and delivery to be just between my husband and I. I'm thinking about not even telling anyone I'm in labor until i've had the baby. 

I've considered having a photographer there. I'd have to meet a few and determine if it's something I'd be comfortable with. Now, I really don't think I'd want actual birth pictures... at least showing the baby coming out... but it'd be nice to document the experience. 

23 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

I think of it this way: I think cows are cute, funny animals. I also like to eat hamburgers. While I know the process by which one becomes the other is a key part of it all, I don't feel the need to watch the process unless I'm actively participating. If I were in labor, I'd tell family members that they can come back when the hamburger is dressed and ready for presentation and consumption.

On 7/17/2016 at 5:40 PM, Casserole said:

For those of you who haven't mastered the right squat angle: https://go-girl.com

Amazon even has it with an extension tube to aim like a penis https://www.amazon.com/Go-Girl-Package-Extension-Lavender/dp/B00PURWY7U/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1468791676&sr=8-1&keywords=go+girl

What a time to be alive. 

Stopping back and finding a thread drift is simultaneously perplexing and delightful. 

Ok, this is wayyyy too much information, but since we are drifting to squat angles, I'll put my 2 cents worth in.  Having just stayed in 8 different places in North America on my recent holiday, one common theme was that the toilets were noticeably lower than in Australia, hence a deeper squat was needed.  I actually noticed that my bms were better than at home.  Coincidence? I don't think so.

Also, someone up thread said that they pee facing downhill when in the bush.  I do lots of bushwalking and camping and I've always done the opposite, so that it doesn't roll downhill into my shoes!

14 hours ago, Karma said:

Ok, this is wayyyy too much information, but since we are drifting to squat angles, I'll put my 2 cents worth in.  Having just stayed in 8 different places in North America on my recent holiday, one common theme was that the toilets were noticeably lower than in Australia, hence a deeper squat was needed.  I actually noticed that my bms were better than at home.  Coincidence? I don't think so.

It's definitely a thing. http://www.squattypotty.com/

Also, if you do not like literal toilet humor, I would not go to that website.

On 7/19/2016 at 4:06 AM, ladyaudley said:

I'm really glad that my brother and sister-in-law wanted us at the hospital. We're a very close family. We see each other, at minimum, twice a week but there are frequently weeks where we spend time together 3, 4, even 5 times in a week. My parents watch the kids a few days a week. I watch them a few days a week. With extra babysitting thrown in. We're all extremely involved in the children's lives. So it made sense for us all to be there together to greet our newest family member. We weren't all in the delivery room, but we were all at the hospital. We also visited every day for the first 2 weeks after the baby was born before returning to our normal routine of seeing each other every 2-3 days. If we ever went longer than that, my sister-in-law or brother would call us up and ask us to come or they would come see us. 

I know that approach isn't for everyone. But everyone in the family is happy about this approach and wants it to be that way. 

I'm really glad that my brother and sister-in-law wanted us at the hospital. We're a very close family. We see each other, at minimum, twice a week but there are frequently weeks where we spend time together 3, 4, even 5 times in a week. My parents watch the kids a few days a week. I watch them a few days a week. With extra babysitting thrown in. We're all extremely involved in the children's lives. So it made sense for us all to be there together to greet our newest family member. We weren't all in the delivery room, but we were all at the hospital. We also visited every day for the first 2 weeks after the baby was born before returning to our normal routine of seeing each other every 2-3 days. If we ever went longer than that, my sister-in-law or brother would call us up and ask us to come or they would come see us. 

I know that approach isn't for everyone. But everyone in the family is happy about this approach and wants it to be that way. 

The bolded is the crucial difference here!

1 hour ago, ladyaudley said:

The bolded is the crucial difference here!

Oh sorry, I was kind of responding to that poster and the one after, who said they weren't going to have the family even at the hospital. I just don't know how to do multiple quotes. I probably need to go over to the tech area and learn. 

We were all invited to be in the delivery room. But my Dad, sister, and I all said "no thanks." Both of the Grandmothers were in there. 

2 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

Oh sorry, I was kind of responding to that poster and the one after, who said they weren't going to have the family even at the hospital. I just don't know how to do multiple quotes. I probably need to go over to the tech area and learn. 

We were all invited to be in the delivery room. But my Dad, sister, and I all said "no thanks." Both of the Grandmothers were in there. 

Probably referring to me. Husband and I are both in complete agreement on not having any family at the hospital - everyone lives pretty close to where I'll give birth anyway, so it's not like people would he driving hours to be here (30 minutes tops for immediate family). We want to enjoy the first hours with our child as a family of three without the chaos of having people popping in and out constantly. It would be highly stressful for us both, but especially me (particularly because I intend to breastfeed if possible and I want a bit of time to try and start figuring that out without an audience present.) 

My sister and BIL did the same thing and it worked out well enough for them - his parents showed up anyway, but left pretty fast because the baby was in NICU for the first night and because I think they realized my sister wasn't happy they ignored their request.

Some families, like your's, work differently and having family at the Hospital works best. For us, it's definitely not the right option though. :pb_lol:

@VelociRapture: I understand that. I wasn't trying to imply that our way is the only right way. I hope my post didn't come across that way. I've just noticed a lot of posts lately of people talking about how close the Bates family members live to one another and how it would drive them nuts. And I totally understand that perspective. I was just sharing a perspective from the other side from someone who sees their family all the time and celebrates all the big and little milestones together and who loves having it that way. We all go to take my niece to visit Santa, most of us went to her first haircut. It's odd to most people, but we like it this way. 

On a sort-of-related note: I read a blog once by this woman who was always bragging about what a good Christian she was. And she posted a letter on her blog to her friends and family members that said they weren't allowed to visit them or the baby for the first 2 weeks after it was born, but that they would still appreciate people dropping off casseroles and presents, just so long as they understand that they would have to leave the food/presents on the front porch and go. I can understand asking people to not visit (my brother and sister-in-law don't let anyone visit for the first 2 months unless they've had the whooping cough vaccine) but wow I just can't imagine telling people they can't come and then still expecting then to drop off food and presents. I wish that woman's blog still existed because I bet my fellow FJers would have found it really entertaining. 

My step-sibling did not ban everyone, but instead published a list of rules if you were planning on being within a 10 foot radius of the baby. I don't remember them all (OVER 25 things) but the highlights: Absolutely cannot wear anything scented; no perfumes, deodorants, lotions, etc. Must be wearing 100% organic cotton top if you're going to hold the baby. (Yes, she checked.) No jewelry. Must warm hands prior to touching baby. Must be seated next to her to hold baby. And it went on...... 

@Casserole: I need to know more. Did anyone meet her criteria? 

My cousin doesn't want to celebrate birthdays with family members because she doesn't want to have to buy presents for other people (this is after bragging about all the money she has.) But when her first child was born, she wanted to show the baby off to everyone, so she decided to come to my party (without being invited, and without even calling me to ask if it was okay to come.) I found out she was planning on coming when one of my invited guests called and said, "I'm confused because I thought I was invited to your party but your cousin just called and asked us not to come because she doesn't want our kids around her baby." I then called my cousin and informed her she was not allowed to uninvite my guests. When my cousin showed up to the party, she told us she didn't want the baby exposed to loud noises, so while she and the baby were at the party she didn't want anyone to talk loud, cough, laugh, sneeze or sing happy birthday. My Mother, who was hosting the party, was livid. She told my cousin they could either deal with the noise or leave.

Needless to say, my cousin is not included in the family members I hang out with on a regular basis. I haven't seen her in 2 years and it's been a glorious two years!

1 minute ago, RoseWilder said:

My cousin doesn't want to celebrate birthdays with family members because she doesn't want to have to buy presents for other people (this is after bragging about all the money she has.) But when her first child was born, she wanted to show the baby off to everyone, so she decided to come to my party (without being invited, and without even calling me to ask if it was okay to come.) I found out she was planning on coming when one of my invited guests called and said, "I'm confused because I thought I was invited to your party but your cousin just called and asked us not to come because she doesn't want our kids around her baby." I then called my cousin and informed her she was not allowed to uninvite my guests. When my cousin showed up to the party, she told us she didn't want the baby exposed to loud noises, so while she and the baby were at the party she didn't want anyone to talk loud, cough, laugh, sneeze or sing happy birthday. My Mother, who was hosting the party, was livid. She told my cousin they could either deal with the noise or leave.

I didn't attempt to go. I dropped off an organic cotton outfit and called it a day until she chilled out a bit. I think her mom was the only one allowed in. I know she made her husband shave all his facial hair so he wasn't "scratchy" to the kid either. 

She now has four kids and lets them play in the mud and everything so it's all going to be okay. Those first time mom fears are real lol

During my pregnancy I had told my mom I l love you, but I just want my husband and medical staff during delivery to be in the room. She said she was fine with it. Flash forward to when I was induced and she drove down to the hospital. So there I am with my husband, my mom and my brother since my sister in law sent him. She said trust me you'll need him to keep your mom from driving you nuts. Anyway at one point the nurse needed to check my dilation. My brother left the room so fast his sneakers were on fire. My mother on the other hand was all don't worry I won't look. I must have mumbled something under my breath loud enough for the nurse to hear. She really politely asked do you want me ask/tell her to leave. I was so grateful and she was able to get her out of the room. The same nurse also later told me after I ultimately had a c-section how to lessen the pain if I needed to cough.

Cultural differences... In Sweden you are allowed to bring two people to the delivery room and people are not allowed to wait outside or anything like that. Most bring the father or their spouse and it is even rare to bring that second person, I don't know anyone who has. The birth is totally private which of course can be problematic for those from cultures where it is more a common event. 

A midwife friend of my mother told her about the time a family showed up with 50 people including a traditional band for their daughter's birth. She had to threaten to call the police to get them to move to the common areas of the hospital when she told them about the rules. The daughter chose to have her husband and mom present and every time there was any development the husband would open a small window used for ventilation and scream what had happened to some of the family members waiting outside and the band would play a celebration song. She said it was surreal. 

The same is true afterwards, no visitors except the father/spouse and siblings of the baby. If other people want to come you have to meet them outside the ward. Usually people only stay 1-2 nights so there is plenty of time to meet relatives once you get home. 

7 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

Needless to say, my cousin is not included in the family members I hang out with on a regular basis. I haven't seen her in 2 years and it's been a glorious two years!

I don't understand the whole obsession with EVERYTHING MUST BE COMPLETELY SILENT AROUND MY BABY. Won't a baby get accustomed to noise and learn to sleep through it and not be as frightened of loud noises if they're exposed to noises early on? I don't mean that people should take their baby to a thrash metal concert, but insisting on complete quiet and inconveniencing other people because you want your baby to exist in an anechoic chamber seems counterproductive.

@CasseroleI can understand some of the rules - strong scents can really piss a newborn off. Or asking people not to visit if they're feeling sick - which, sadly, we'll have to specify since BIL's fiancée never stays home when sick (and Velocibaby will arrive in the middle of Flu season.) Or asking people to call or text to see if a visit is ok, before just showing up.

But organic cotton and her husband having to shave his face? Yeah, that's a bit much. It's good she's loosened up a lot over the years.

@ellihaI think I'm secretly Swedish because that sounds perfect to me! :pb_lol:

@RoseWilderNo worries. Just explaining my view a bit more. I'm a fairly private person when it comes to my body abd health, so the idea of all our family showing up immediately after I give birth is horrifying to me. :pb_lol:

My mom and her side of the family are crazy. They pretty much did everything they could to ruin my wedding day (her parents hit our car in the church parking lot and drove off without telling anyone) and my mother called me on my wedding night to tell me I was a bitch and posted on Facebook that my wedding was a joke, etc. We didn't speak for months and months after that and only then because she wore me down by calling me harassingly every single day and threatened to show up at my house, and so on. 

We've begrudgingly moved on. I haven't forgotten that fresh hell though. 

SO I have been treating this pregnancy on eggshells. I do not want to fight with her, I don't want her to stress me out, I don't want drama. I just want to have a baby. My solution is to say yes to everything that doesn't matter, and then put my foot down about things that do. For instance, she wants to throw me a shower in another state with people I've never met? Okay cool. Wanna say that "we" are having a baby? Okay, that's annoying but I'll ignore it. She wanted to drive all the way up here to be at the anatomy scan, I didn't really want her to, and thankfully she changed her mind, but I would have let her. Why? 

Because there is no way in hades I would let her come into the room while I'm giving birth. She stresses me out, she is insane, and I don't have that kind of relationship with her. 

To keep her out of there I just said no one but my husband. Someone on my bump board pointed out that birthing with you alone might be more than some husbands are able to handle, depending on how your husband deals with you in pain and how strong their stomach is, etc. Not knowing how my husband can handle it, I might have liked my best friend who's had a baby, or my grandmother (dad's side) if she were able, which she isn't anyway, or even my little sister (no relation to my mother) would be nice. Having anyone else in there but not letting her would definitely cause WWIV (wedding was WWIII). But one more crazy fight with my crazy mother is just not going to cut it for the birth of my much longed for and wanted child. So sad I have to go that route, but it'll be worth it for not fighting with my mother when I need to be focusing on the happy moments with my new baby.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived