IGNORED

Donald Trump- Part 2

samurai_sarah

Donald Trump accepts Christ as his savior? In the immortal words of Bender B. Rodriguez, allow me to say, "Oh, you were serious? Let me laugh even harder!":pb_lol:

I am a Christian. I'm not innocent as a lamb,but I realize that certain situations call for a different approach. If the "road to Damascus" conversion was genuine, I believe we would see Trump look at every problem not that it was a nail and his only tool was a hammer.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my Christianity:

Matthew 6:6 -

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Both James Dobson, and also Donald Trump, if he professes Christianity, would do well to read, then to live, this scripture. Less talk, more living the teachings of Jesus. I will not judge whether or not anyone is actually a Christian. That should be between that person and God.

Despite all of the crap and abuse in my world, I am a born-again Christian and still identify as such.  Just definitely not fundie. More evangelical-lite skeptical.  Or something.

Regarding Trump -- I'll believe it when I see it.

Anybody can put kittens in the oven and call 'em biscuits, but that don't make it so.

Well, yes, Jesus may very well be his "personal" savior.  As in, saving his campaign. 

You know, Jesus as one of his HUGE supporters. 

Like others, I really doubt this is about anything more than getting votes, but I also don't think that becoming a Christian makes someone a better person either so even if he did truly become a Christian I wouldn't necessarily expect any changes for the better either.

6 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

But I'd like to hear from others (especially people who formerly/still ID as Christian): what are some of the outward signs that might make you believe DJT has had a change of heart, is exploring a new walk in faith, and is trying to amend his ways?  (And if you've had experience with very-newly-converted folk, especially those having a lot going on in their lives, please chime in.)  What triggers this sort of turnaround?

I still identify as a Christian, just recently joined the Anglican church.  Honestly, I might believe DJT has had a change of heart if he donates all his wealth to the poor (a very Biblical concept, Jesus told the rich young ruler to do just that), and stepped out of politics to study a little more about his suddenly new-found faith.  After all, most new converts I know (there have been many, missionary parents and all that) cannot get enough of Bible studies and learning about the Bible and it's teachings - and nobody on the campaign trail has time to do that properly.  Most of them also cannot wait to get out there and start doing good deeds.  No Christian has enthusiasm like a new convert.  I see that kind of change in the Donald, I may just believe this.   

However, at this moment... I am firmly in the "it's good for votes" camp.  

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Well, yes, Jesus may very well be his "personal" savior.  As in, saving his campaign. 

You know, Jesus as one of his HUGE supporters. 

Exactly. Coming at this point in time, it reeks of using religion to get votes. And it'll work on plenty of people, though maybe less so at this moment than it might have earlier on. 

I'll be very interested to see what stunts he does in the coming weeks to build up his cred in the eyes of evangelical voters. Last I saw Hillary was leading, Trump's camp must be testing out new strategies. 

Another important question is what's in it for Dobson that he'd make such an obviously absurd claim?

Anything for that evangelical vote, eh, Donny?

Man, back when Republicans were just trying to shut down everything Obama tried to do, I said that Obama should start proposing legislation about totally ridiculous shit just to watch Republicans try to spite him. Now I wish I could organize Donald Trump's target voter markets into claiming to hold utterly absurd views and cultural mores to try to get Donald Trump to make an even bigger ass of himself. Ah, yes, we will only vote for a candidate who does the Chicken Dance in nothing but Matt Damon's spangly Speedos from Behind the Candelabra at the party convention.

He's definitely pandering. I'm pretty sure the only thing that can make him MORE obnoxious is him evangelizing us from the bully pulpit. 

4 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Another important question is what's in it for Dobson that he'd make such an obviously absurd claim?

It is a bit odd, isn't it? 

I think I am probably more born again than Trump. 

5 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

My former neighbors used to be in lockstep with Dobson.  Since they moved away, I haven't really thought of him in years.  I do wonder what his motivation is in hanging onto Trump's shirttails.  Was he paid for the endorsement?  Hmmmm.

Didn't Dobson split from Focus on the Family? Maybe he is trying to use Trump to get back some of the fame and glory he had during the 80's. 

12 hours ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Anybody can put kittens in the oven and call 'em biscuits, but that don't make it so.

:Bazinga:

This article describes Trump's meeting with the Christian leaders (and confirms that Dobson is not affiliated with FotF.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/06/20/how-can-trump-win-the-many-undecided-evangelicals-we-asked-them/

I find this op ed by Michael Farris to be interesting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/06/23/i-helped-start-the-moral-majority-trump-is-the-opposite-of-what-we-wanted/

"Trump is the opposite of what we wanted."

I saw a headline that George F. Will has left the GOP over Trump.  To me, a principled Christian voter would never consider Trump.  "But he's going to allow me to be more religious," - yeah, no.

18 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Didn't Dobson split from Focus on the Family? Maybe he is trying to use Trump to get back some of the fame and glory he had during the 80's. 

I wondered the same thing.  And it's "I know the person who brought Drumpf to Jebus" not Dobson doing it.  I think it's Dobson trying to insert himself into politics, trying to make himself relevant.

13 hours ago, doggie said:

Maybe the Donald can buy a piece of heaven and rent it out. 26a7f7218d7aecf0f84a4b4662fb8cd3.jpg

Hmmm, chia Donald has better hair then real Donald.

And as to the OP's question, nothing would convince me Drumpf had become born again, short of his quitting the race and entering a monastery.

It's spin.

Somehow, somewhere, someone has started to media train 'The Donald'. He's starting to sound more statesmanlike, he's stopped swearing, and he's gained a filter. And atheists don't get into the white house, so he's found Jesus. How fortunate for him that his epiphany has come just at the right time ;) 

He's full of shit, but I think the far right is desperate to buy it so they can justify voting for him.

I'm sure Trump really thinks Jesus was a Huge Loser. 

30 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

It's spin.

Somehow, somewhere, someone has started to media train 'The Donald'. He's starting to sound more statesmanlike, he's stopped swearing, and he's gained a filter. And atheists don't get into the white house, so he's found Jesus. How fortunate for him that his epiphany has come just at the right time ;) 

I wonder if his people hired the poor souls who tried to media train Sarah Palin.

Actually, that's a job I'd totally do, as cynical as it would be -- My Fair Lady-ing utterly insane, monumentally stupid, or Column A/Column B candidates to prepare them for a national election. I could also lend my services to troubled pop stars who want to do a redemption tour.

41 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I'm sure Trump really thinks Jesus was a Huge Loser. 

1. Middle Eastern, so Trump would have deported him.

2. Poor, so not worth Trump's time.

3. Charitable, so not something Trump could even wrap his tiny fingers around. (h/t John Oliver)

4. Respected women, so HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I can't even finish that sentence.

Donald Trump is a born-again Christian the same way I'm Queen Margaret of the planet Shaltoon.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived