IGNORED

Sister Wives 3 - Collective in Crisis?

I don't think it's tacky to have as many baby showers as you have children at all. Personally I wouldn't have a registry for multiple ones, but...meh.

I don't think they're going to legalize polygamy. Way too logistically nightmarish. Wish they would, though, because it would bring a lot of the child abuse happening to light, IMO. 

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind "sprinkle" showers for additional kids.  I mean, no two babies are exactly the same, and even if you have MOST of the stuff from your first, there's always going to be things that you can't reuse.  Like seasonal clothes in different sizes, more diapers, or stuff that your first is still using (like nightlights, stuffed toys, etc.).  Plus, parties are fun, and I am more than willing to get you a small gift and celebrate another baby.

But, it's like a $20 gift max. The few large things that you can't re-use from your first, I do expect you to be able to afford since, you know, you can afford another kid.  

On 5/14/2016 at 5:22 AM, Blueruin said:

And what is up with SWC since sobbin is in reproduction mode? They should have gone with Janelles idea it had more sale ability, does anyone actually buy that jewelry ? From what I've seen online it's poorly managed web page and over pricedness has me thinking people want to see it but definatly not buy it.

I bought one of the Christmas ornaments once. I'm a sucker for anything Christmas, you see, and since it was the cheapest thing on the site and I have no real interest in jewelry, I picked up one the first year they had them. But I didn't like the design the second year, so I didn't bother getting it. I don't need another collection of ornaments; I'm already overflowing.

On 5/14/2016 at 2:11 PM, daisyd681 said:

I believe Kody does gun show sales. There are a few posts on Tumblr with pics of him selling at gun shows. Janelle got into real estate. I have no idea what the others do.

Christine also obtained her real estate license. Janelle and she both work with Mona Reiki (spelling?), the woman who helped them find their rental homes and was the agent who got them the cul-de-sac. Meri has gone back to school , so I don't know how much time she spends on the business, as I know she used to do the bulk of the mailing of orders for MSWC. Since Robyn designs, I guess that's her "job" in the group.

15 hours ago, Chicken bones said:

Of course....Robyn had to insert her own all about me-Ness into Garrison's enlistment.

Eta... gee, I wonder if Robyn being "fiesty" and not holding back her opinions has more to do with her being the legal wife than her pregnancy?!

I don't blame her for inserting herself into the Garrison situation. She had an experience, and she's technically one of his mothers, so she gets an opinion, much to everyone's chagrin. The face she made when she said she would just have to grin and bear it and keep her mouth shut was unattractive and hilarious.

As soon as they began to discuss Robyn's newfound feisty-ness, that was my immediate thought.

As for baby showers, I find it more acceptable with the second child if the baby is a different gender. And if someone loves you enough to throw you a baby shower - surprise or not - and if people want to gather, then I would probably find it very sweet that people cared enough to do it. Ultimately, to each their own. Do I think someone like Michelle Duggar should be having a big baby shower for #19? No, I find that kind of excessive, but some people just want to gather and throw parties and shit. It's harmless, and if someone doesn't want to go because the mother hasn't met some kind of time-between-babies quota then that's their choice and I respect that, too.

My two cents on the court case is that the Court won't even grant cert, so they won't even hear it. They don't have standing, since they've never even been charged with a crime. Also, there are compelling reasons to continue with the status quo (as stated above abuse, taxes, probate, etc.) 

IMHO, I don't think more than one shower is tacky, though I'd make it known that it a gift isn't necessary after that first baby. I think it's nice to have people come together to celebrate a new baby. I'd be more excited to celebrate with friends and yes, play those annoying games haha. I currently have a friend who is pregnant with her 2nd and is planning on having a gender reveal and at least one baby shower. That is way too much in my opinion. Her first isn't even done being a toddler. 

1 hour ago, mstee said:

IMHO, I don't think more than one shower is tacky, though I'd make it known that it a gift isn't necessary after that first baby. I think it's nice to have people come together to celebrate a new baby. I'd be more excited to celebrate with friends and yes, play those annoying games haha. I currently have a friend who is pregnant with her 2nd and is planning on having a gender reveal and at least one baby shower. That is way too much in my opinion. Her first isn't even done being a toddler. 

Gender reveal and "at least" one baby shower does seem excessive to me as well. Especially if the first is still a toddler. Unless the new baby is the opposite gender, then I could see a baby shower where you ask for some clothes or something. Both though... :my_dodgy::my_dodgy::my_dodgy::my_dodgy::my_dodgy:

There was no mention of using Truely's hand-me-downs. Since Christine was always made out to be the most sentimental wife, I doubt she got rid of items from her last baby.

Sobbyn was always insufferable, and now she's smug, too. I thought she should've kept her mouth shut in regards to Garrison. She made that situation all about herself.

Mykelti seems to have gotten a sweet deal with her boss also being her landlord. I highly doubt she had to cough up first, last, and security.

I still don't get why Christine and Sobbyn need nannies. Christine has only 1 preschooler. The rest don't need constant hands-on care. Is Robbyn niece being paid now that she has a TH?

How are these houses not in foreclosure yet?

Truely is six.  Christine doesn't even have and hasn't had for a year a pre-schooler.   She shouldn't need special help any more.  Gwendlyn will be 15 this year and Ysabel is 13. 

Jannelle is down to a 15 year old and a 11 year old. 

I thought it was interesting that Aspyn is moving into Robyn's house.  I understand not wanting to live with your own mother at that age, but she is moving into a house with 5 kids.  It seems that Meri's house would have been a logical choice, since she lives alone and has many available bedrooms.  Aspyn would probably have more freedom and space there, while still having the rest of the family next door.  There must be some major bad feelings toward Meri if she would rather live with Robyn than her.  

4 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Truely is six.  Christine doesn't even have and hasn't had for a year a pre-schooler.   She shouldn't need special help any more.  Gwendlyn will be 15 this year and Ysabel is 13. 

Jannelle is down to a 15 year old and a 11 year old. 

I don't think of it as special help in the case of Christine. Her mother chose to move in, and she must not mind watching Truely while Christine is at work. My grandparents watched me after school for years when my parents worked. Granted, they didn't live with us, but I can see how that's something Christine's mom would do for her daughter. Robyn's "helper" is strange because I can't pinpoint an specific job she has that requires her to be away from home often.

I'm surprised Chrstine' mother is still living there, to be honest. She doesn't seem to like Kody at all.

4 minutes ago, crawfishgirl said:

I thought it was interesting that Aspyn is moving into Robyn's house.  I understand not wanting to live with your own mother at that age, but she is moving into a house with 5 kids.  It seems that Meri's house would have been a logical choice, since she lives alone and has many available bedrooms.  Aspyn would probably have more freedom and space there, while still having the rest of the family next door.  There must be some major bad feelings toward Meri if she would rather live with Robyn than her.  

Aspyn has always seemed a bit more mature and motherly, but I know she got along great with Christine. So I wonder what she found so difficult about living with her mother the previous summer. People do change, though, so I can see how she might want something different.

I'd like to know how each of the older kids feel about the catfish thing. I know we aren't entitled to know their feelings, and I wouldn't want them to talk about it if they didn't want to, but I do wonder if they'll be asked to speak on it at some point this season. Mariah might because there's a rift that they're exploring as part of a plot this season. Maybe the other kids will be asked, too?

What does Christine work at except the show?  She quit real estate because it required weekend work.  Did she go back to it?

1 minute ago, Coconut Flan said:

What does Christine work at except the show?  She quit real estate because it required weekend work.  Did she go back to it?

She's still at it. At least, her name is listed on the real estate website for Mona's real estate business, as is Janelle's.

I think especially the elder children of Janelle and Christine strongly dislike or barely tolerate Meri.  They are old enough to remember the lean times when their families were barely getting fed while Mariah got everything.  They remember Meri throwing her weight around and getting everything at the cost of them, their mothers, and their siblings.  It would be like if you had a step mother that insisted on spending tons of money on her bio-kids all while you and your siblings went without.  Kids see that stuff and remember.  

And while the adults may have made nice for the TV cameras, I think a lot of the kids still have anger or resentment towards Meri for her behavior in their childhood.  

At least, her name is listed on the real estate website for Mona's real estate business, as is Janelle's.

I think that's all it is that her name is there.  I don't think there are any transactions that she's handled.

1 hour ago, crawfishgirl said:

I can kind of understand not wanting to live with Meri if no one else is there but Meri.  It sounds like she's missing her busy family life, and living with Meri would be pretty much the same as on her own - no kids, no noise, completely independent.  To be fair to Meri, despite her differences with Janelle, she seems like she would probably be one of the best with teenagers.  She seems to be more relaxed than Christine and Robyn and also more likely to participate in something the older kids would want to do than Janelle.  

3 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I think especially the elder children of Janelle and Christine strongly dislike or barely tolerate Meri.  They are old enough to remember the lean times when their families were barely getting fed while Mariah got everything.  They remember Meri throwing her weight around and getting everything at the cost of them, their mothers, and their siblings.  It would be like if you had a step mother that insisted on spending tons of money on her bio-kids all while you and your siblings went without.  Kids see that stuff and remember.  

And while the adults may have made nice for the TV cameras, I think a lot of the kids still have anger or resentment towards Meri for her behavior in their childhood.  

From old episodes, I remember the teenagers or Meri or someone saying that the teens liked to spend time with Meri late at night, that they could gather in her part of the Utah house after parties or just because and stay up talking. A lot of that changed when Meri was more than a mile away from all the other rental homes. She began her isolation after the first month in Las Vegas. I'm not putting all the blame on her, though. It was shitty that she was taken advantage of, and her home situation (though one she chose for herself) kind of sucks. Polygamy doesn't have all the perks they believed it did.

5 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Truely is six.  Christine doesn't even have and hasn't had for a year a pre-schooler. 

My bad, time flies. I haven't watched the show regularly since that season Truely was in the hospital.

5 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

That was my impression as well.

The new season starts in the UK  Sun 29th May on TLC for any of our Brits who are interested in snark watching. I can't wait to see what you all have been talking about.

16 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I think that's all it is that her name is there.  I don't think there are any transactions that she's handled.

I don't know about that. Mona was a business owner before the Sister Wives rolled into town. I don't think she would feature anyone on her website that isn't actually working at least part time. But you could be right. They could have given her some kind of stipulation that said she could appear on the show way back when but she had to "employ" Christine. Kind of a "We did you a favor by exposing your business to the world, so now you return the favor by putting her on the site." It could be either.

I worked as a receptionist for a real estate office while I was in college. I could be wrong, and regulations by state certainly vary, but I think to be listed as an agent on a website, one has to be a licensed real estate agent--and there are expenses associated with that designation. In addition, at least in the office I worked in, agents were considered to be self employed, so there were expenses associated with that designation as well. 

Christine is not listed as an agent, but as a "salesperson."

17 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

At least Christine is trying. She was out of the workforce for twenty years and worked exclusively as a stay at home mom and teacher (not that that's an easy job), so I can understand if she's not a "real" real estate agent yet (or ever). What's Meri doing to help support the family? 

1 hour ago, HowsMolly said:

At least Christine is trying. She was out of the workforce for twenty years and worked exclusively as a stay at home mom and teacher (not that that's an easy job), so I can understand if she's not a "real" real estate agent yet (or ever). What's Meri doing to help support the family? 

I think Meri wanted to go back to university to finish her degree so she could go back to working with at risk youth (what she did before in Utah).  I think she was all ready to go, and then Robyn guilt-tripped her into not going back because she wanted someone else to work on Sister Wives Closet with her.

19 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Usually the same thing. For example, Coldwell Banker companies nationwide refer to their agents as "Sales Associates"  and not real estate agents or REALTORS(R), despite the fact that they are also both of those things.

38 minutes ago, Natalie22 said:

I think Meri wanted to go back to university to finish her degree so she could go back to working with at risk youth (what she did before in Utah).  I think she was all ready to go, and then Robyn guilt-tripped her into not going back because she wanted someone else to work on Sister Wives Closet with her.

Meri is eternally working on degrees that never result in employment. Wasn't she talking about going back to school in the pilot episode? :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived