IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Counting On, Regular Season 1 - Part 2

Coconut Flan

12 minutes ago, jas said:

Coincidentally I brought my son to collect his new glasses yesterday. He was excited about how the new ones looked on him and how they improved his vision compared to his old ones (his prescription had changed slightly). He insisted I take a picture immediately to send to his Dad, he loved posing for this. The contrast between his enthusiasm and Jenny, who clearly hates her glasses for whatever reason, is huge.

None of the family seem to wear glasses, there must be a little bit of vanity there as I doubt JB & M have 20/20 vision (maybe they've paid for laser surgery - Oh, wait, they would've filmed it).

Maybe they made a vow to God to only have the vision he wanted for them :562479514c500_32(1):

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

None of the family seem to wear glasses, there must be a little bit of vanity there as I doubt JB & M have 20/20 vision (maybe they've paid for laser surgery - Oh, wait, they would've filmed it).

Maybe they made a vow to God to only have the vision he wanted for them :562479514c500_32(1):

Michelle, Jana, Jill and Joy wear glasses.  They just don't wear them often on camera.

56f3e8a958cf9_0glasses.jpg.520486f6a85fe

8 hours ago, somanybooks said:

I love reading everyone's comments because there's no one around here I can talk with about the Duggars without them thinking I'm completely crazy.

You get a +1 just for that  statement :)

7 hours ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

A little off topic: Anyone else heard about the rumors of JB-Michelle divorce? I seriously doubt this and I know tabloids are tabloids, especially when it comes to reporting about the Duggars, but I've seen this rumor for quite a while now and I gues there has been a recent wave of this rumor in the news. 

http://www.inquisitr.com/2920769/jim-bob-michelle-duggar-divorce-rumor-tension-over-joshs-return-from-rehab-tearing-couple-apart-leading-to-major-fights/

I don't know the source and hiw accurate it is. 

image.jpeg

Off topic, but Angelina Jolie is not looking that good here.  For the last 10 years she looked like she never aged a day, now I guess it is catching up with her.  But I have to admire her for taking on all those kids.  People snark at her and say well she has all the maids and nannies, but in a way isn't that the same as Michelle?

re: calling a sister for help picking new glasses...I'm guilty of that haha! I have zero fashion sense (is anyone familiar with the old show "What Not to Wear"? I'd have paid to be on it lol), and my sister has awesome sense, so anytime a glasses place is trying to convince me to try a new frame shape I usually take a picture of it and send it to my sis to get her opinion. In my case, I know I could pick glasses on my own, but I trust her opinion of the way they make my face look more than my own!

1 hour ago, DuggarWatch said:

The viewing numbers are in for Tuesday's episode.  Viewership plunged to 1,551,000.  This is lower than any 19 Kids and Counting episode for all of 2014 and 2015, with the one exception of "Amy's Nashville Dreams", which bombed.

That's a loss of 19% and counting, from Episode I. 

:crashh:

Hey, I watched Nashville Dreams! :)

What's interesting about this new show is that TLC is going hard at mocking the Duggars, who don't even realize it. They make them look like fools and strange people in general. Jana and her comment that she isn't one of the younger kids but not one of the older married kids? It made her sound stupid because it shows that she actually had nothing else going on in life. Not to mention, everything thing they showed that she can do that is not babysitting is for the betterment of everyone else but herself. They didn't highlight anything she does away from the family because she isn't allowed to do anything else.

Showing that eleventy future homemakers in a kitchen couldn't cook anything from scratch other than a turkey and sad mashed potatoes, while still needing a recipe for the latter, was just TLC making them look even sadder because this was the only thing they were "trained" to do. 

Showing Jill, the number one Kool-aid drinker, living in a sty when there are two unemployed people living there, just makes Jill look pathetic. TLC is full of sophisticated, worldly people, they know they are going to make the Duggars look foolish using the Duggars own stupidity. It's easy money for TLC. 

Lack of access to television, movies, books, logic, allows the Duggars, especially the young adults, to not realize how badly they come off on tv to the rest of the world. Some of the stuff they did may have been weird and interesting when they were kids. Now, it's just sad to see so many adults with no education, jobs or future other than jumping on the TLC train until it details. 

8 hours ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

A little off topic: Anyone else heard about the rumors of JB-Michelle divorce? I seriously doubt this and I know tabloids are tabloids, especially when it comes to reporting about the Duggars, but I've seen this rumor for quite a while now and I gues there has been a recent wave of this rumor in the news.

If Michelle and JB ever divorced (and they won't, but if they did), the only scenario I can imagine is JB initiating. He would blow some sort of minor indiscretion of Michelle's out of proportion as an excuse to the public, and then promptly find a young fundie woman to marry (barf). I don't think Michelle has the level of agency to initiate a divorce or even vocally disagree with JB.

31 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

They do have that thing about your "countenance" being your most important feature. They use massive amounts of makeup and hair products and make a big deal about their teeth. Lol, they would have definitely have got at least one episode out of eye surgery!

21 minutes ago, anotherone said:

You get a +1 just for that  statement :)

Off topic, but Angelina Jolie is not looking that good here.  For the last 10 years she looked like she never aged a day, now I guess it is catching up with her.  But I have to admire her for taking on all those kids.  People snark at her and say well she has all the maids and nannies, but in a way isn't that the same as Michelle?

Except nannies and maids are paid to be there helping out. And maybe they go home at night and she takes care of her own kids when she's there. 

29 minutes ago, anotherone said:

Off topic, but Angelina Jolie is not looking that good here.  For the last 10 years she looked like she never aged a day, now I guess it is catching up with her. 

Who cares?

24 minutes ago, jas said:

NowThey do have that thing about your "countenance" being your most important feature. They use massive amounts of makeup and hair products and make a big deal about their teeth. Lol, they would have definitely have got at least one episode out of eye surgery!

Now that you mention it, I have always thought that all the older Duggar kids have absolutely perfect teeth! Not trying to be weird, but I wonder what their stance is on body hair (especially for the girls). Are they allowed to shave their legs, peach fuzz mustaches?

52 minutes ago, anotherone said:

She had her ovaries out fairly recently because she's got that BRCA-1 gene.  I highly doubt she's on hormone replacement therapy because that would defeat the purpose.  That could make a difference. 
Plus she turned 40.  Doesn't look bad for 40.

45 minutes ago, socalrules said:

Showing Jill, the number one Kool-aid drinker, living in a sty when there are two unemployed people living there, just makes Jill look pathetic. TLC is full of sophisticated, worldly people, they know they are going to make the Duggars look foolish using the Duggars own stupidity. It's easy money for TLC.  

That's it and nothing else.  They don't care how the Duggars come across.  They don't care if they look like fools or saviors.  They just want the bucks coming in.  Can you blame them though, they are just a business trying to make a buck. They have no moral obligation to avoid showing grifters or whatever.  It's really up to the viewers - if they (us) stopped watching, they would drop the duggars like hot potatoes. 

Now on the other hand, you'd think the actual Duggar girls would care how they come across.  They can be out for a buck too, but their integrity is at stake.  It's their personal life that is out there in public, you'd think they'd feel some shame.   They're the ones that are selling themselves out, not TLC's  impersonal executive decisions on what to air on a cable station.

1 hour ago, anotherone said:

Off topic, but Angelina Jolie is not looking that good here.  For the last 10 years she looked like she never aged a day, now I guess it is catching up with her.

Based on the headline, I'd say they picked the photo for that very reason.

2 hours ago, Rescinded and Mended said:

I keep wondering why Jessa feels the need to bring up a possible adoption on a regular basis. At first, I thought she was just saying it to shut people up because she hadn't gotten pregnant yet, but now she's done it. She's successfully reproduced. And there's no reason at this point to think that more blessings won't come to her and Ben in the future. 

If Jessa's even half as irritable with her husband, siblings, and everyone in general as everyone here has claimed, based on last night's episode, then why would she want to add more people to her household in a hurry?

This is me being pessimistic, but perhaps Jessa feels like with a bigger brood Jim Bob would upgrade her to a bigger house? Or she thinks it's good PR for herself or a storyline? Whatever the reason, I do feel like adoption is unlikely to actually happen anytime soon - there will probably be some dramatic BS reason why it didn't work out (with Jessa and Ben "devastated").  

24 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

Based on the headline, I'd say they picked the photo for that very reason.

Right? They do the same things with politicians- pick the most unflattering picture to post in a negative story. 

So, I watched this episode last night with a friend who had never seen any Duggar show before and only vaguely knew of them.

And we have Closed Captions on and at one point she goes, "Spurgeon is a really weird typo".

"That's the baby's name."
"...no."
"Yes...it is."

And she hit pause and started scream-laughing-crying and goes, "HOW COULD YOU LET ME WATCH THIS WITHOUT WARNING ME ABOUT THAT?"

Since being on FJ so much, Spurgeon doesn't shock me like it did. I guess I've got used to it. I need to get back to real life.

Jessa and Ben have always talked adoption.  I think it is one way for Jessa to have more kids but not having to birth them all.  They have also indicated that they are interested in domestic and international adoption.  But maybe they think it is the Christian thing to do.  I have a hard time taking Jessa and Ben seriously, but I think if they really want to adopt like they say then let them try. 

21 minutes ago, Snarkylark said:

Right? They do the same things with politicians- pick the most unflattering picture to post in a negative story. 

Indeed :my_biggrin: Poor Ed.

ed-miliband-bacon.jpg

It seems to me that tlc is trying really hard to make this show different from 19 kids and counting.   The problem is that leghumpers want the same show.  The more tlc tries to make them seem normal, the odder (is that even a word) they seem.   Leghumpers have to be disappointed.  The core audience is being alienated.  Of course the hate watchers are enjoying it.  I wonder what tlc is thinking.  

Just a random thought but.....those adult kids are missing a golden opportunity to break away.  The only way this family can sustain a show, and get new viewers, is to show a kidult on their own.  If only those Jkids would realize it. They could make a break and make money at the same time.  This opportunity may not be available in the future.  

I do wonder what TLC is doing. Close ups of Jennni looking miserable, Joy driving without glasses, Ben and his gaping hole, and close ups of him eating tacos, does not show the Duggars in the best light. Are they trying to sabotage the show? BTW, the queen will never be shown eating. Wise woman

1 hour ago, Julifornia said:

She had her ovaries out fairly recently because she's got that BRCA-1 gene.  I highly doubt she's on hormone replacement therapy because that would defeat the purpose.  That could make a difference. 
Plus she turned 40.  Doesn't look bad for 40.

It's a SAD sad sad day when the Duggars are gracing the covers of magazines and not Angelina Jolie...
Also, at least Angelina Jolie hasn't been doing what Reese Witherspoon has been doing. Reese Witherspoon just turned 40 and she has so much botox that her forehead doesn't move anymore.  I say this as a Reese fan. I'm just shocked every time I see her pictures at how much botox she's had done.

3 hours ago, Rescinded and Mended said:

I keep wondering why Jessa feels the need to bring up a possible adoption on a regular basis. At first, I thought she was just saying it to shut people up because she hadn't gotten pregnant yet, but now she's done it. She's successfully reproduced. And there's no reason at this point to think that more blessings won't come to her and Ben in the future. 

If Jessa's even half as irritable with her husband, siblings, and everyone in general as everyone here has claimed, based on last night's episode, then why would she want to add more people to her household in a hurry?

Maybe Jessa is irritable because she is bored.  The life assigned to her by birth is BORING. Maybe she talks about adoption because she thinks it makes her sound interesting.  Maybe she is impatient because the things in her life so far have never satisfied her.

Jessa may have seen through Michelle's selfishness more clearly that Jana or Jill.  She is not a people-pleaser like Jill. she is not a "first-born-daughter" who actually got some mothering like Jana. Jessa is selfish, the way JB and Josh are selfish, but she doesn't have a penis, so she follows Michelle (whose type of selfishness is closer to Jill's people-pleasing style) but she is still Jessa with yearnings for more in her life --just as Josh probably did.

Jessa would probably have enjoyed being the missionary wife more than Jill does.  She might even have enjoyed organizing things for the poor pagan Catholics.  She would have felt important.  Jill, on the other hand, wants to feel safe and coddled more than she wants to make an impact on others.  I think she sees an adopted child as a chance to have an impact.

Of course, she is wrong. But she has been told that the only power and status a woman can have is through having a lot of children to control and delegate her tasks to.  And she doesn't want umpteen pregnancies. Adoption will maker different and special and give her the larger family and the kids to boss around without actually having to give birth to all of them.  It must seem like a win-win. :(

• Criscat locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived