IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Counting On, Regular Season 1 - Part 2

Coconut Flan

20 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Hmm...that may be what they are.

Of course, none of it matters to me since we're (sadly) likely not having anymore children.

There are the types of things I've seen in restaurants...

kb115_baby_01.jpg

Look at this stupid thing....my car seat was so heavy, I can't imagine...

41tihOUF%2BvL._SY355_.jpg

Oh my goodness! that looks so heavy and uncomfortable.  i'll take a decent baby carrier any day.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, YourGodIsNotMine said:

And exactly how would the separate bedrooms by jender work in a two-bedroom house? 

How did the Duggars do it before they moved to the big house? 

I think it was a small 3 bedroom house, but some of the little boys slept with the girls. I guess the older girls were their buddies.

5 hours ago, Antimony said:

The biggest concern I can see is an agency may not want the child filmed or otherwise promoted at least until after the adoption is finalized. It is my understanding, at least, that with some Foster children (depending on circumstances) parents are not allowed to post photos on Facebook, online, etc of their fostered children. The TV filming aspect is the biggest one to me. I can however, see them trying to time it such that they finalized while the filming season is over and coming back next season and being like LOOK WHO WE ADOPTED!!!!

(I know adopting and fostering-to-adopt have different rules. Also, if they have an open adoption I believe the birth parents could request that images not be shared or try to strike a contract to that effect. Whether or not that would be legal or effective, I don't know, but it seems like a thought they might have if they did open.)

Indeed, you are correct. You can't share photos or video of foster children due to privacy reasons in most states, anyway.

Once the adoption is finalized... and this is the case in both foster care adoption and domestic... adoptive parents are the child's parents so they can make their own decisions about whether to share photos, etc. An open adoption agreement wouldn't change that... the agreement is more about what will be shared between birth parents and adoptive parents. Sometimes open adoption agreements restrict birth parents from posting photos online, but I've never heard of one having the restriction the other way around.

I just watched part of the Fox interview with JB and M again. When  Boob says that they talked to other families and this happens a lot, M's jaw dropped. It seemed like she hadn't heard that before. Old news, I know, but it just struck me as strange.

Nothing new, just another mildly curious sofa spud who tuned to "J&J" for a quick minute -- hoping that looking at it for <60 seconds wouldn't count as a viewer. 

I couldn't believe the DULLNESS of it! Jessa with her Repeating the same idea over, using slightly different words, and snips of videos of people with infants. 

I taught my kids that claiming boredom was the refuge of the lazy mind, but egads, that program was seriously b o r I n g !!!

I just watched part of the Fox interview with JB and M again. When  Boob says that they talked to other families and this happens a lot, M's jaw dropped. It seemed like she hadn't heard that before. Old news, I know, but it just struck me as strange.

Sorry, didn't mean to unlike, was trying to quote! Sorry sorry!

That surprised me too when I heard that. Maybe she was surprised he admitted it on TV because perhaps they'd only talked to people in their community and he admitted a dirty secret? Not sure, but it did surprise me.

28 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I totally blame Bad Wolf for dragging me into this youtube rabbit hole... but oh well, Mr. J is out of town tonight.  ;) 

I know this has probably been discussed ad nauseum before I even joined FJ but holy cow, what is up with Michelle's bizarre affect in this interview?

I can't decide if it's a cult thing or something else...

And her 911 call on the Spurgeon birth episode sounded seriously weird.

5 minutes ago, Jucifer said:

I totally blame Bad Wolf for dragging me into this youtube rabbit hole... but oh well, Mr. J is out of town tonight.  ;) 

I know this has probably been discussed ad nauseum before I even joined FJ but holy cow, what is up with Michelle's bizarre affect in this interview?

I can sleep soundly tonight, knowing I have lured someone down the rAbbit hole.  :tw_smirk:

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I can sleep soundly tonight, knowing I have lured someone down the rAbbit hole.  :tw_smirk:

So, I guess....you don't feel guilty at all?!?!?!? :content:

1 minute ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

So, I guess....you don't feel guilty at all?!?!?!? :content:

Not one tiny little bit. :my_tongue:

3 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

Look at this stupid thing....my car seat was so heavy, I can't imagine...

41tihOUF%2BvL._SY355_.jpg

Where's the cupholder?

38 minutes ago, Jucifer said:

I am under the impression she doesn't care or is that is her real voice 

1 hour ago, scribble said:

Indeed, you are correct. You can't share photos or video of foster children due to privacy reasons in most states, anyway.

I wish all states had the same rule against it.  I have a former co-worker show recently has been fostering 2 tweens, boy and a girl, I think with intent to adopt.  She constantly posts pictures of them daily calling them her "son and daughter", etc...  Then recently, the boy has been out of the picture.  Apparently he had to go back to his bio-parents...  I don't know any of the story, and it's not me to judge what you call your foster kids, etc.  I just wish it was kept off social media...

I'm a nurse and I recently transitioned from being a hospital nurse to now being a nurse liaison between the public school system in a large, low income city and the states's Department of Health.  I'm assigned to a just a few elementary schools and I've gotten to know a lot of the at-risk kids really well. And they break my heart.  So many of them have amazing potential and they have Extraordinarily kind spirits.  Many of them are in the foster care system but most upper/middle class people don't want to adopt kids of other ethnicities or from troubled backgrounds, or who are both of things plus being a school-aged kid and not a baby.

So as much as it pains me to write, if Jessa and Bin and are willing to adopt a child like that, a kid who truly needs a family to love them and feel wanted, then okay. Because as screwed up as their belief system is and the patriarchal shit and the subpar education shit, it is still hands down better than what a lot of these kids have.  Legally, I can't even write the horrible things some of these kids have experienced.   And I see these children, who just want to be loved by a family, and it breaks my heart.  After giving any of these kids, 5 minutes of undivided attention, they almost always ask me if I can them to my house to live.  So, I hope Jessa and Bin are open to adopting one of these kids and not just a white, newborn baby.   Because most of the kids who are minorities and in the foster care system, they ultimately end up in a group home and the cycle soon starts all over again.  

5 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I wish all states had the same rule against it.  I have a former co-worker show recently has been fostering 2 tweens, boy and a girl, I think with intent to adopt.  She constantly posts pictures of them daily calling them her "son and daughter", etc...  Then recently, the boy has been out of the picture.  Apparently he had to go back to his bio-parents...  I don't know any of the story, and it's not me to judge what you call your foster kids, etc.  I just wish it was kept off social media...

She probably is violating regulations by doing so, especially if she is mentioning they are foster children. (Assuming the kids aren't somehow related to her... rules for kinship families are different.) Obviously, I'm not familiar with the laws in every state, but I think that's the general rule. Some parents in a foster parent group I belong to say their agencies allow posting of photos as long as they never mention the kids are in foster care but even that is a huge no-no in my state.

50 minutes ago, Jucifer said:

Regarding the 911 call -

Some posters theorized (and I agree) that she may have sounded weird to keep Jessa from getting really scared by everything happening. It was a high stress situation and the last thing they needed was the new mom panicking. And that she used the words she did to keep anyone who may have heard the recording  from finding out anything (like the sex of the baby) too soon.

there was eight minutes of the new episode and it was all about Jinger buying auction cars and JD and Joe discussing her calling to be a photographer 

two things WE ALREADY know about  - so Tuesday should be riveting 

8 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Jane AUSTEN (Austin is a city in Texas) was a great caricaturist.  

Of course. I don't know what I was thinking (or rather not thinking). I'd like to blame the spell check on my phone, except that my phone has no spell check. And I cannot otherwise claim ignorance, since I get paid to teach English literature. Maybe typing secretly under the covers at night while my headship is asleep is not a good idea after all. 

As for the Duggars having less personality than AustEn's boring characters, that is something I wonder about. I am sure they have their thoughts, their honest likes and dislikes, and desires for the future. If they were only allowed felt free enough to show it. We know their father will not want them to say anything truly original or surprising. But TLC certainly does nothing to draw it out either.

Since you seem to be familiar with the book, do you remember Mr. Bennet's first interview with Mr. Collins over dinner? Although Mr. Collins was the most boring and predictable character in the book, he takes credit for some of the funniest passages. I would love to see a good interviewer get to the bottom of JB and really draw him out. But the sad difference of course is that Collins was not real and could not control the way he was described. But JB is real and pulls the strings of what gets to our screens and what not.

Thinking about it, Mr. Collins and JB have more than one thing in common. But whereas Austen's readers know the sad reality of Charlotte Collins' life, the TLC viewers still get served the 'JB the exemplary husband with his super wholesome family' crap. 

There was more reality in her fiction than in TLC's 'reality' TV.

19 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Regarding the 911 call -

Some posters theorized (and I agree) that she may have sounded weird to keep Jessa from getting really scared by everything happening. It was a high stress situation and the last thing they needed was the new mom panicking. And that she used the words she did to keep anyone who may have heard the recording  from finding out anything (like the sex of the baby) too soon.

right because that could have been a problem

the general public finally finding out the gender of the child 

I see riots start because of that 

riots 

1 hour ago, foreign fundie said:

Of course. I don't know what I was thinking (or rather not thinking). I'd like to blame the spell check on my phone, except that my phone has no spell check. And I cannot otherwise claim ignorance, since I get paid to teach English literature. Maybe typing secretly under the covers at night while my headship is asleep is not a good idea after all. 

As for the Duggars having less personality than AustEn's boring characters, that is something I wonder about. I am sure they have their thoughts, their honest likes and dislikes, and desires for the future. If they were only allowed felt free enough to show it. We know their father will not want them to say anything truly original or surprising. But TLC certainly does nothing to draw it out either.

Since you seem to be familiar with the book, do you remember Mr. Bennet's first interview with Mr. Collins over dinner? Although Mr. Collins was the most boring and predictable character in the book, he takes credit for some of the funniest passages. I would love to see a good interviewer get to the bottom of JB and really draw him out. But the sad difference of course is that Collins was not real and could not control the way he was described. But JB is real and pulls the strings of what gets to our screens and what not.

Thinking about it, Mr. Collins and JB have more than one thing in common. But whereas Austen's readers know the sad reality of Charlotte Collins' life, the TLC viewers still get served the 'JB the exemplary husband with his super wholesome family' crap. 

There was more reality in her fiction than in TLC's 'reality' TV.

Oh, typing on a phone is the devil.  I can't do it at all for more than a few sentences, not even in full light.  I apologize for the snark about Austin/Austen, but it was becoming contagious. (You weren't the only one spelling it with an "i".)  And thinking of Mr. Bennet made me rude. ;)

Mr. Bennet is very witty, but he enjoys making fun of others too much.  Mr. Collins deserves it of course.  I agree there are a lot of resemblances between him and JB.  Alas, there is no Mr. Bennet in today's media to expose JB to the public.

Totally agree with the bolded.  Unfortunately, there are too many people who just want to watch the humdrum Duggars.  

16 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

Da Bin-man

This makes me think of Binners (aka Dumpster Divers), which is appropriate considering the Duggar maxim of 'Buy used, save the difference.' Problem is that as the Duggars have become more famous, they've moved for thrifters to grifters, so i don't know if that maxim even applies anymore.

5 hours ago, punkiepie said:

I'm a nurse and I recently transitioned from being a hospital nurse to now being a nurse liaison between the public school system in a large, low income city and the states's Department of Health.  I'm assigned to a just a few elementary schools and I've gotten to know a lot of the at-risk kids really well. And they break my heart.  So many of them have amazing potential and they have Extraordinarily kind spirits.  Many of them are in the foster care system but most upper/middle class people don't want to adopt kids of other ethnicities or from troubled backgrounds, or who are both of things plus being a school-aged kid and not a baby.

So as much as it pains me to write, if Jessa and Bin and are willing to adopt a child like that, a kid who truly needs a family to love them and feel wanted, then okay. Because as screwed up as their belief system is and the patriarchal shit and the subpar education shit, it is still hands down better than what a lot of these kids have.  Legally, I can't even write the horrible things some of these kids have experienced.   And I see these children, who just want to be loved by a family, and it breaks my heart.  After giving any of these kids, 5 minutes of undivided attention, they almost always ask me if I can them to my house to live.  So, I hope Jessa and Bin are open to adopting one of these kids and not just a white, newborn baby.   Because most of the kids who are minorities and in the foster care system, they ultimately end up in a group home and the cycle soon starts all over again.  

I doubt they would be open to adopting a non-white, non-infant child (at least not domestically, maybe if they could adopt the child from some "dangerous" place). Maybe I'm being cynical, but I don't believe Jessa wants to adopt out of the goodness of her heart. Also, ATI-ers are against adoption generally which makes me think the Duggars would be pre-disposed to only adopt young children who wouldn't have memories of life outside their weirdo fundie bubble.

I know you can't legally write the things you have seen, and that is fine, but do you really believe that being raised in and indoctrinated in a cult is better than being in the foster care system? I don't know, you have more experience than me (although I did some volunteer work with a children and families shelter for a while and I got some exposure to the kinds of situations you are alluding to, and I would never downplay the tragedy or seriousness of what children in those situations face) but I feel like children who need to be loved by a family need to be loved by a family unconditionally, not the kind of love where you get ostrasized if you don't toe the party line. I can't see Jimchelle or Jessa loving a child who didn't fit their extremely narrow world view. I also don't really buy that Jessa would have the knowledge or the will to see to it that an older adopted child was getting the psychiatric and social services they are at a higher likelihood to need, because they believe that depression, mental illness, anything beyond cheerful contentment, is rebellion against god.

Plus if these children are so hungry for love doesn't it kind of make them ripe for exploitation by ATI-ers looking to fill their quiver at any cost? Not to mention, I'm not sure Jessa and Ben will be able to provide for a whole quiver full of little blessings if the TV show goes south.

That said, a lot of these concerns really apply to them adopting any child, of any age. I'm very anti-ATIers adopting and think its a stroke of good luck most of them won't. But I am interested to hear your perspective, I know its a very heavy and loaded question because of course I also know how incredibly difficult the foster care system can be.

• Criscat locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived