IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Counting On, Regular Season 1 - Part 2

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, ThunderRolls said:

This is me being pessimistic, but perhaps Jessa feels like with a bigger brood Jim Bob would upgrade her to a bigger house? Or she thinks it's good PR for herself or a storyline? Whatever the reason, I do feel like adoption is unlikely to actually happen anytime soon - there will probably be some dramatic BS reason why it didn't work out (with Jessa and Ben "devastated").  

I think jessa has just decided to show even more of her rude and irritating thoughts and it's coming out in droves.

the wedding prep eps made her seem not carefree or relatable but controlling and empathetic. But these episodes are making her seem neurotic, self indulgient and dare I say arragont..

her obsession with bringing up adoption at every turn is just nauseating. And she should be ashamed for that Sierra scene

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CoveredInBees said:

None of the family seem to wear glasses, there must be a little bit of vanity there as I doubt JB & M have 20/20 vision (maybe they've paid for laser surgery - Oh, wait, they would've filmed it).

Maybe they made a vow to God to only have the vision he wanted for them :562479514c500_32(1):

I am thinking they may wear contact lenses.  I am unusual among my nearsighted friends that I preferred glasses to contacts.  Lots of people I know who need glasses wear contacts and would not dream of surgery. 

11 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

At least she hasn't been doing what Reese Witherspoon has been doing. Reese Witherspoon just turned 40 and she has so much botox that her forehead doesn't move anymore.

You know, in the end I think the difference was she seems to have no makeup on.  Or at least a lot less.  That is probably why I thought she didn't look so good.

14 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

It's a SAD sad sad day when the Duggars are gracing the covers of magazines and not Angelina Jolie...

But not like it's Time or the New Yorker.  It's gossip magazines, which means the duggars are just moving in the realm of past-their prime celebrity stars, showing up in non-flattering pictures in gossip magazines.  (Not trying to dis Angelina, I do like her.)

@EmCatlyn--Yes, they were in England at the time. That level of ignorance about the book on which they base their entire lives is unbelievable. I'm sure they are equally ignorant about all the words that have completely changed their meaning in the last 400 years unless they use good study Bibles that would explain all that.  So they're likely reading 17th century language through a 21st century lens. What could possibly go wrong with that approach??

This reminds me of one of David and Pris' videos where he is nattering on and on about creation and the verse about the heavens declaring the glory of God and the firmament singing His praise or something like that.  He then explains to Pris that the heavens are the sky and the firmament is the earth so the Bible is saying that all of creation glorifies God and Pris is just nodding along and beaming at him. Hey David--firmament is just another word for heavens and does not mean the earth. Sad to think this is probably typical of their general level of Biblical study.

5 minutes ago, anotherone said:

You know, in the end I think the difference was she seems to have no makeup on.  Or at least a lot less.  That is probably why I thought she didn't look so good.

That's what I was thinking. Makeup is a wonderful thing, although the DuggerGirls are wearing too much. Maybe a makeup artist should be arranged for them. 

27 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

I am thinking they may wear contact lenses.  I am unusual among my nearsighted friends that I preferred glasses to contacts.  Lots of people I know who need glasses wear contacts and would not dream of surgery. 

I know a few people who have had it. Two went really well and a decade on still have perfect vision, the third went wrong and all they could do was get her sight back to where it had been before (the surgeons didn't even attempt the second eye). It took her months to recover from it. That was enough to put me off, I like my funky frames anyway :) when I can find them ;) 

43 minutes ago, somanybooks said:

@EmCatlyn--Yes, they were in England at the time. That level of ignorance about the book on which they base their entire lives is unbelievable. I'm sure they are equally ignorant about all the words that have completely changed their meaning in the last 400 years unless they use good study Bibles that would explain all that.  So they're likely reading 17th century language through a 21st century lens. What could possibly go wrong with that approach? <snip>

Ah, but do they really "base their lives" on the Bible or on some interpretation of the Bible by someone else which somehow fits with their prejudices?

The biggest irony about most fundies is that that aren't really reading the Bible for themselves. They claim that the liturgical branches of Christianity (especially the Catholic and Orthodox) have perverted true Christianity because they let others interpret the Bible instead of the individual. But when push comes to shove, they rely on some preacher's reading.

And if the Bible doesn't say what they want it to say, they come up with some far fetched explanation or "interpretation."

Wine is mentioned all over the Bible.  People get drunk in the Bible.  But when the fundies read the Bible, most of the wine is really grape juice.

Masturbation is not mentioned in the Bible.  But when Christians want to use the Bible to say that masturbation is wrong, they dig up Onan, who is "guilty" not of masturbation but of coitus interruptus with the goal of depriving his brother's widow of a son which would inherit ahead of Onan.

StPaul wrote letters to Christian communities that were clearly led by women, and he seems to have recognized their authority and influence as legitimate in those letters.  But there is another letter where "Paul" argues that women should be silent and not take positions of leadership.  "Christians" focus on this letter to the exclusion of the others which at least suggest that Paul approved female leadership.

And so on.  These people don't read the Bible.  They selectively quote and refer to various passages without really understanding the wider context... And sometimes (as your David and the firmament story shows) they don't even understand the words.

I would bet that most of that crowd thinks that "thou" and "thee" are terms of respect, the formal way to address God instead of the familiar form.  ("Thou" is the equivalent of "tu" in Spanish, French, and Italian or "du" in German.).  

They "read" only one book, and they read it badly.  So sad.

This post on Daily Fail came out after the show started  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3506736/TLC-advertisers-REFUSING-air-commercials-new-Duggar-post-pedophile-scandal-reboot-Jill-Jessa-Counting-drops-ratings-second-week.html  

Companies are upset that their commercials were shown during this.  They either hadn't meant them to be shown or didn't realize.  A bunch of advertisers have already dropped out, you can just search for Duggars advertisers  and a bunch of links pop up.

I tried to watch this week's episode.  I just can't stayed tuned into all the mundane activity.  Sisters go grocery shopping and Jessa loads up on butter because now she can do whatever she wants with her hunter-gathering.  Whoo-eee!  That's some autonomy showing her chops right there with all that butter buying!  (I'm still alert at this point.)  The sisters cook a meal and act like a bunch of clueless ejits.  Sigh. Then there's Jessa Chat Head:  I don't know nothin' 'bout baking turkeys, Miss Scarlett!  Seque to Jana, who shows off her problem-solving prowess with adding light fixtures to the bedroom while Jessa looks on.  Crimeny.  Yawn.  Cut to Jessa Chat Head talking about her childhood relationship with Jana....zzzz...wha?  Oh, there's sad-sack Jana going on about her reluctance to jump at the only option she has for leaving home....(I wake up for a few minutes)....something about role conflict and repression...,(now I'm dozing off) as Jessa Chat Head burbles,  ha ha ha. blah blah blah.

Did I miss anything?  Oh yeah.  I slept through the trip preparations, air port departure and subsequent arrival in dangerous El Salvadore.  Lions and spiders and narcotrafic, oh my!  

Did you all already talk about the white van that Jessa drove to see Sierra? Here is a screen shot I took. What do these stick figures mean? 

image.jpg

5 hours ago, Hera said:

You can't really sell "wholesome" after all of this. You can sell "trainwreck," but you have to show the actual trainwreck. No one wants to watch these people change lightbulbs and eat tacos. 

Actually, I would like to see Ben change a light bulb.

56f42ee28e43d_0light.png.5aef88fe6005764

2 minutes ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Did you all already talk about the white van that Jessa drove to see Sierra? Here is a screen shot I took. What do these stick figures mean? 

image.jpg

They usually represent members of the family that owns the van. There only seem to be 6 though ...

Just watched, and I have many of the same thoughts about it as the rest of you.  BORING.

It was so sad that Jana has no goals for herself in five years.  I was actually surprised that she had absolutely no answer to that. 

The shots of Jessa staring adoringly at Spurgeon for a few seconds were strange and uncharacteristic.  Also, it is gross that Jessa never cleans under the furniture.  Good God, even just watching that made me want to go do a clean-through of my apartment.  And, why was there just a pile of crap taking up the majority of floor space in Spurgie's room??? Did anyone else notice that? Just like boxes and gift bags and random nonsense that could be thrown out, are literally inhabiting the baby's room.

I'm surprised they didn't have any footage of the Duggars over in scary Central America.  And for everyone saying Jana should have been allowed to go, maybe she doesn't like going on mission trips to convert heathen Catholics?

35 minutes ago, jas said:

They usually represent members of the family that owns the van. There only seem to be 6 though ...

Perhaps it is Josh's white van.  4 M'kids

4 hours ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

Now that you mention it, I have always thought that all the older Duggar kids have absolutely perfect teeth! Not trying to be weird, but I wonder what their stance is on body hair (especially for the girls). Are they allowed to shave their legs, peach fuzz mustaches?

Finally watched the show.  They really do come off looking, well, stupid.  Ben cant put a sentence together.  Jessa is so full of herself.  Jana seems kind of over the whole thing. (and she did not install those lights, the boys did.)  All she did was stand there and pretend to supervise and holding a tape measure a couple of times.  I'm sure they had plenty of help from the crew.  Suspect it will be the same thing with building the tree house.

Actually, the girls have perfect teeth.  Perfect bright white, identical, teeth.  Probably veneers.  The boys, most particularly JD, do not.  His teeth were stained, almost like a smokers. 

At least Jinger is less orange colored.  Seems they are reading here (and other critical sites) and playing to the critics.  It's funny how the Duggars 'lifestyle' can be manipulated by the critics.  And yes, it really does seem the crew is mocking them with these new episodes.  All their doing is making them look worse.

Edited to add.   What the hell is up with all the "really dangerous place" nonsense?  Repeated over and over and over again ad nauseum.

12 hours ago, Stoned Fundie said:

She is rather annoying, however I do appreciate her simply because she makes me feel like I look so young for my age. She's going to look terrible after her quiver is full.

That's true. She definitely looks way older than she is. I can't figure out if it's just because of the way she dresses or what.

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I do wonder what TLC is doing. Close ups of Jennni looking miserable, Joy driving without glasses, Ben and his gaping hole, and close ups of him eating tacos, does not show the Duggars in the best light. Are they trying to sabotage the show? BTW, the queen will never be shown eating. Wise woman

BAHAHAHA! Thank you for that.

LOL..In the fundie Bible wine is really grape juice. Remember when the family went to to a vineyard owned by an Italian family and picked grapes?  JB&M explained that the family grew grapes to make grape juice and grape jelly. I'm sure that's exactly what those Italians did with all those grapes.

17 hours ago, doubleT said:

Doesn't Michelle always side hug her daughters?  And Anna too? 

I feel like that might be more of a force of habit. You can front-hug your same-gender friends. Because gay people don't exist or if they do they just need to pray and get right with the lord to be straight. But no godly woman would ever be tempted by hugging her female friends, and I think the men mostly handshake or do the bro-hug with the fists in the middle. You know, the masculine way.

I'm pretty sure that in the earlier seasons of the show, when they went to DANGEROUS Central America, one of the girls was even shown holding hands/touching hands with a female friend they had made there (Jill or Jinger, if I recall correctly).

I wonder if Jessa is talking up adoption because she wants to be on birth control?  She might have decided that birthing babies every 5 minutes is not something she wants to do, but not birthing babies every 5 minutes is going to bring on questions from her friends and fans.  So she can tell everyone that in order to adopt she has to be infant and fetus-free!  And oh gosh darn!  The adoption fell through but we are still on the list.....

1 hour ago, Swamptribe said:

Actually, the girls have perfect teeth.  Perfect bright white, identical, teeth.  Probably veneers.  The boys, most particularly JD, do not.  His teeth were stained, almost like a smokers. 

No, the girls do not have identical teeth or veneers. They all had braces and probably whitening. 

3 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Ah, but do they really "base their lives" on the Bible or on some interpretation of the Bible by someone else which somehow fits with their prejudices?

The biggest irony about most fundies is that that aren't really reading the Bible for themselves. They claim that the liturgical branches of Christianity (especially the Catholic and Orthodox) have perverted true Christianity because they let others interpret the Bible instead of the individual. But when push comes to shove, they rely on some preacher's reading.

And if the Bible doesn't say what they want it to say, they come up with some far fetched explanation or "interpretation."

Wine is mentioned all over the Bible.  People get drunk in the Bible.  But when the fundies read the Bible, most of the wine is really grape juice.

Masturbation is not mentioned in the Bible.  But when Christians want to use the Bible to say that masturbation is wrong, they dig up Onan, who is "guilty" not of masturbation but of coitus interruptus with the goal of depriving his brother's widow of a son which would inherit ahead of Onan.

StPaul wrote letters to Christian communities that were clearly led by women, and he seems to have recognized their authority and influence as legitimate in those letters.  But there is another letter where "Paul" argues that women should be silent and not take positions of leadership.  "Christians" focus on this letter to the exclusion of the others which at least suggest that Paul approved female leadership.

And so on.  These people don't read the Bible.  They selectively quote and refer to various passages without really understanding the wider context... And sometimes (as your David and the firmament story shows) they don't even understand the words.

I would bet that most of that crowd thinks that "thou" and "thee" are terms of respect, the formal way to address God instead of the familiar form.  ("Thou" is the equivalent of "tu" in Spanish, French, and Italian or "du" in German.).  

They "read" only one book, and they read it badly.  So sad.

Well, you see, "drunk" in the Bible was actually referring to the slurred speech and disorientation of the insulin rush that occurred after drinking large quantities of grape juice.  

(Let's see how long it takes for a fundie to co-opt that interpretation :wink:)

58 minutes ago, somanybooks said:

LOL..In the fundie Bible wine is really grape juice. Remember when the family went to to a vineyard owned by an Italian family and picked grapes?  JB&M explained that the family grew grapes to make grape juice and grape jelly. I'm sure that's exactly what those Italians did with all those grapes.

Well, what else would they do with them? I'm relieved to find out that those bottles we have, only contain grape juice. Whew.:evil-laugh:

On 3/19/2016 at 8:09 PM, Lillymuffin said:

Just finished watching Tuesday's episode on dvr. Did it seem to anyone else like they kept saying "Spurgeon" an awful lot? I kept thinking, "It doesn't matter how many times you say it, it will never be a good name!"

Sorry, this reminds me of my mother-in-law. She wanted us to have a girl SO badly because she absolutely hated our boy name and when we found out it was indeed a boy she spent about 48 hours just repeating his name over and over and over...

Didn't change my mind. Still named him what we planned and I just deal with the fact that she hates his name to this day.

• Criscat locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived