IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Counting On, Regular Season 1 - Part 2

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, RabbitKM said:

Just watched, and I have many of the same thoughts about it as the rest of you.  BORING.

It was so sad that Jana has no goals for herself in five years.  I was actually surprised that she had absolutely no answer to that. 

I actually am not surprised that Jana has no goals for herself. Their ideology is that their purpose on this earth (besides converting the masses) is to seek out God's will for their life and to follow that. To express her own hope or goal would mean she wasn't seeking His will and was instead seeking her own fulfillment which goes against everything those kids have been raised to believe.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

Actually, I would like to see Ben change a light bulb.

How many Duggars (or Duggar-inlaws) does it take to change a lightbulb?

Spoiler

One to find the ladder in the storage shed

Another to find the light bulb In a messy closet (2)

Two to bring the ladder (4)

One to take pictures of them moving the ladder without bumping into any little kids (5)

Five to make a prayer circle around the ladder after it has been set up under the dead bulb (one of these to lead the prayer: "Hear us Jesus and protect our Brother as he gets ready to begin this very Dangerous Climb up the ladder [ insert five more empty sentences of religious cliches] and keep us always under Your Protection, Dear Lord. amen") (10)

Two more to steady the ladder (12)

One to go up the ladder and unscrew the old light bulb (13)

Another to hand up the new light bulb and take away the old--a multitasker! (14)

Two (you know which two) to take selfies of themselves while their brother balances precariously on the ladder screwing (Nike!) in the new bulb. (16)

One to take pictures of the returning hero after he climbs down from the ladder. (17)

Another to start a prayer of thanksgiving for the safe descent (18)

And the nineteenth one to go tell Jim Bob that the task is done and that the TLC crew is ready to wrap up for the day. (19)

1 hour ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

I wonder if Jessa is talking up adoption because she wants to be on birth control?  She might have decided that birthing babies every 5 minutes is not something she wants to do, but not birthing babies every 5 minutes is going to bring on questions from her friends and fans.  So she can tell everyone that in order to adopt she has to be infant and fetus-free!  And oh gosh darn!  The adoption fell through but we are still on the list.....

Well if that's the case she needs to bring Ben on in her plan. Because he looks terrified every time it's mentioned.

9 minutes ago, doggie said:

no it only takes one. one to pray to god to fix it for them.

That may be what they think.  And that may explain why they just sit in the darkness.:handgestures-thumbupright:

10 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

That may be what they think.  And that may explain why they just sit in the darkness.:handgestures-thumbupright:

yes because god works in his own time.

1 hour ago, Playagirl said:

I actually am not surprised that Jana has no goals for herself. Their ideology is that their purpose on this earth (besides converting the masses) is to seek out God's will for their life and to follow that. To express her own hope or goal would mean she wasn't seeking His will and was instead seeking her own fulfillment which goes against everything those kids have been raised to believe.

Too bad she can't spin her own hopes and desires as divine inspiration or something like that.

On 3/23/2016 at 7:46 PM, bella8050 said:

New game for TLC: Donate a dollar to the families you are filming while showing Jill and Derick's "mission trip" (and NOT through the Dillard Ministries) every time someone on the show says Central America or dangerous.

I like this game. 

But if they can donate a dollar for someone says "like" as in I'm like, he's like.... 

2 minutes ago, SingingBaritone said:

Too bad she can't spin her own hopes and desires as divine inspiration or something like that.

I thought the Duggar and others like them believed that God only speaks to men. The men then tell the women what God said, as the spiritual leaders of their family. The only time God speaks to a woman is to tell her who to marry.

Now, I will extract my tongue from my cheek.

4 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Did you all already talk about the white van that Jessa drove to see Sierra? Here is a screen shot I took. What do these stick figures mean? 

image.jpg

Considering that they buy and sell cars, it may have been put on by the previous owner.

2 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

I wonder if Jessa is talking up adoption because she wants to be on birth control?  She might have decided that birthing babies every 5 minutes is not something she wants to do, but not birthing babies every 5 minutes is going to bring on questions from her friends and fans.  So she can tell everyone that in order to adopt she has to be infant and fetus-free!  And oh gosh darn!  The adoption fell through but we are still on the list.....

I was thinking of this too. 

If, in order to adopt, she can't have a newborn or young baby, how is she going to pull this off? 

She isn't supposed to use birth control - including telling Ben to go shower and take his time with his soaping up.    She has to be available to him sexually - so there is a good chance she is going to get knocked up again soon.    Adoption agencies aren't going to be too willing to place a child in with someone who has a baby and is pregnant again herself.  

So - how the hell are they going to pull this off?    I'm sure it's a pipe dream - or TLC is going to buy her a baby to adopt. 

I also wonder if Jessa has noticed how rapidly Sierra seems to be aging from having so many children so close together. If Jessa enjoys her looks, she may not be so eager to reproduce every 18 months on average, without much time to get enough sleep, work out, eat right, lose the baby weight, etc. Adoption would be easier on her looks than numerous pregnancies.

Plus, she's already completed the legal adoption of her first child, which was when she married Ben.

46 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

If, in order to adopt, she can't have a newborn or young baby, how is she going to pull this off?

Secondary infertility could actually help her family grow! Adoption takes longer than the making babies from sex, though, so it might be slower nonetheless.

The cars were interesting in this episode.  One had the stick figure family, the other had the "drink plenty of juice" scrawled on the back window of the SUV joy was driving without glasses.

What Easter eggs are being planted by TLC? 

I know tacos are messy, but Ben was eating like a pig. He turned his head with that damn backwards cap all the way to the left and took as big a bite as he could. It looked disgusting. Have some fucking manners. 

Just now, YourGodIsNotMine said:

I know tacos are messy, but Ben was eating like a pig. He turned his head with that damn backwards cap all the way to the left and took as big a bite as he could. It looked disgusting. Have some fucking manners. 

He's a RAPPER, why cant you understand that??? His hat is backwards and sideways because he's famous, and a trendsetter, and AWESOME.  He's like vanilla ice, but cooler and hipper.  Damnit, we need to come up with a rapper name for Bin.

Razorpraizer?

I didn't like the fact Ben was wearing a hat while eating. Take it off! 

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

He's a RAPPER, why cant you understand that??? His hat is backwards and sideways because he's famous, and a trendsetter, and AWESOME.  He's like vanilla ice, but cooler and hipper.  Damnit, we need to come up with a rapper name for Bin.

Razorpraizer?

Hats-Ben (as in has been)

The older J girls start to remind me of the Bennet girls in Pride and Prejudice somewhat. The same pointless existence, full of visiting, dinner parties, gossip and with finding a husband as main persuit. 

There are other familiar elements. The hypocritical and dumb religious leader, the lazy and silly mum, the immoral sibling that is returned to the fold but never repents, all the time spent on finery and hair-do, the emphasis on proper behavior and so on.

Jane Austin's book has the same simple ingredients as 'counting on'. And yet, she could make all this so fascinating to read about that millions through the centuries enjoy her story.

TLC however, takes the simple ingredients of the Dugger life and make it into microwave chickenetti. A dish that will give their viewers the clogged arteries of lethal boredom.

3 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

The older J girls start to remind me of the Bennet girls in Pride and Prejudice somewhat. The same pointless existence, full of visiting, dinner parties, gossip and with finding a husband as main persuit. 

There are other familiar elements. The hypocritical and dumb religious leader, the lazy and silly mum, the immoral sibling that is returned to the fold but never repents, all the time spent on finery and hair-do, the emphasis on proper behavior and so on.

Jane Austin's book has the same simple ingredients as 'counting on'. And yet, she could make all this so fascinating to read about that millions through the centuries enjoy her story.

TLC takes the simple ingredients of the Dugger life and make it into microwave chickenetti. A dish that will give their viewers the clogged arteries of lethal boredom.

Lydia Bennet runs off and gets married  and then shows up with her loser husband, she's suddenly considered an adult in the houeshold and has a loftier position than her three older sisters.  Just like Jill and Jessa being adults and queing up ahead of Jana as "adults".

It just occurred to me to think.....so, do the J'slaves think that this is right? That they should be so subjugated in every aspect of their lives. 

I guess they do. Or they know nothing else, or they don't allow themselves to think about it. We don't see any rebelliong other than Joshley. And he is male. No hints of any female rebellion at all. 

On March 23, 2016 at 4:50 PM, ClaraOswin said:

I can't stand Sierra. I hope she's not on anymore.

I finally put my finger on who her crazy expressions remind me of...

image.jpg

2 minutes ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

I finally put my finger on who her crazy expressions remind me of...

image.jpg

That's a good one.

36 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

TLC however, takes the simple ingredients of the Dugger life and make it into microwave chickenetti. A dish that will give their viewers the clogged arteries of lethal boredom.

A major difference is that the Bennet girls (especially the two older ones) are reasonably well educated by the standards of their time.  Another major difference is that they are allowed to dance!  

The Duggars don't do or say anything interesting.  Even Josh's recent scandal is rather banal.

I don't think even Jane Austen could make an interesting story out of the Duggars.  

Maybe Dickens could do something with CinderJana, though.

3 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Razorpraizer?

Benye

• Criscat locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived