IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Counting On, Regular Season 1 - Part 2

Coconut Flan

I finally put my finger on who her crazy expressions remind me of...

image.jpg.006752212d946ca209fcff7bc479f058.jpg

She looks especially desperate in that photo...

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

59 minutes ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

I finally put my finger on who her crazy expressions remind me of...

image.jpg

And "precious" is one of their favorite words!

1 hour ago, EmCatlyn said:

A major difference is that the Bennet girls (especially the two older ones) are reasonably well educated by the standards of their time.  Another major difference is that they are allowed to dance!  

The Duggars don't do or say anything interesting.  Even Josh's recent scandal is rather banal.

I don't think even Jane Austen could make an interesting story out of the Duggars.  

Maybe Dickens could do something with CinderJana, though.

And while Mrs. Bennet was constantly trying to play matchmaker for her daughters, Mr. Bennet appreciated their intellect and independence (at least Elizabeth's) and let them marry the man whom the daughters chose.

6 hours ago, Buzzard said:

He's a RAPPER, why cant you understand that??? His hat is backwards and sideways because he's famous, and a trendsetter, and AWESOME.  He's like vanilla ice, but cooler and hipper.  Damnit, we need to come up with a rapper name for Bin.

Razorpraizer?

Sinus Rhythm

11 hours ago, Buzzard said:

He's a RAPPER, why cant you understand that??? His hat is backwards and sideways because he's famous, and a trendsetter, and AWESOME.  He's like vanilla ice, but cooler and hipper.  Damnit, we need to come up with a rapper name for Bin.

Razorpraizer?

MC Dummer

10 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

Jane Austin's book has the same simple ingredients as 'counting on'. And yet, she could make all this so fascinating to read about that millions through the centuries enjoy her story.

That's because you could see the depth in the main character who wanted more out of life than that kind of life.  Unfortunately we don't see someone like that in this family.  We try to see it in Jana but it never quite materializes. 

What if Jane Austin's story was just about the three younger sisters?  That would be the Duggars

13 hours ago, YourGodIsNotMine said:

I know tacos are messy, but Ben was eating like a pig. He turned his head with that damn backwards cap all the way to the left and took as big a bite as he could. It looked disgusting. Have some fucking manners. 

He's probably starving since Jessa can't (or doesn't cook)  DIdn't she say that they eat yogurt and snacks and just go over to her folks when they want a meal?    After all, she is SO busy not cleaning the pig sty they live in because she is lounging in that unmade bed - just in case Ben needs sex.    

As for the damn backward hat, why the hell doesn't he just cut the brim off the thing and wear a beanie cap?  He looks like a friggin idiot.   But we all know that. 

1 hour ago, anotherone said:

That's because you could see the depth in the main character who wanted more out of life than that kind of life.  Unfortunately we don't see someone like that in this family.  We try to see it in Jana but it never quite materializes. 

What if Jane Austin's story was just about the three younger sisters?  That would be the Duggars

That is a good point. Though I think the bigger difference is the fact that Pride and Prejudice is in essence one big snark fest on the morals of the upper class British society of her days. It is merciless in its criticisms of the limited options for women, the silliness of the spoiled rich women who just sat around and gossiped, religious hypocricy, and general shallowness of people's persuits. Even Jane, the saintly elder sister gets exposed for being guillable. (She does remind me of Jana in the way she takes over from her silly and nervous mum, looks after her little cousins while Lizzie holidays with her aunt and is in charge of the mail!)

It is not the limitedness of the characters that makes 'counting on' boring. But the format TLC chooses which prohibits critical reflection on their life style. Or maybe I should say, the format JB demands, where the show is all about how wonderful his family is. He would not allow TLC to picture his family in the realistic way Jane Austin painted her characters.

So we have characters that have limited individuality to begin with, that are only allowed to say what is expected of them in a show where critical questions are not allowed. It is not the boringness of their lives that is the problem (Austin's characters lives were far more boring) but the demand that their boringness is held up as an ideal, rather than being ridiculed or rigerously criticised.

But that's what fj is for. Making the Duggars interesting like Austin did with the Bennet girls.

14 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Razorpraizer?

OK, last one I promise.........

BenJAMMIN

How is Ben getting away w/this?! Jessa must have told him that ANY kind of rhythmic anything is VERBOTIN

in the Duggar world.

This was the most boring Duggar episode ever, and that's saying something. ;)

I tried to pay attention, I really did, but I ended up texting my sister and washing dishes instead. I think I might be over the Duggars for good. :)

From what I did see, it seemed like TLC was editing out most of Bin's stupid comments  I remember a scene of Jessa and Bin sitting on a couch and Jessa blathering to the cameras. Bin looked like he really wanted to say something but he couldn't get a word in edgewise. ;)

I saw a promo for the next episode. Bin is on it. He says half a sentence and then kind of drifts off into the ether. :/  These people are being filmed for hours and hours. Surely TLC has lots of footage to cherry-pick from and the best they could find from Bin was half a sentence.... Ugh!!!

7 minutes ago, Jucifer said:

This was the most boring Duggar episode ever, and that's saying something. ;)

I tried to pay attention, I really did, but I ended up texting my sister and washing dishes instead. I think I might be over the Duggars for good. :)

From what I did see, it seemed like TLC was editing out most of Bin's stupid comments  I remember a scene of Jessa and Bin sitting on a couch and Jessa blathering to the cameras. Bin looked like he really wanted to say something but he couldn't get a word in edgewise. ;)

I saw a promo for the next episode. Bin is on it. He says half a sentence and then kind of drifts off into the ether. :/  These people are being filmed for hours and hours. Surely TLC has lots of footage to cherry-pick from and the best they could find from Bin was half a sentence.... Ugh!!!

I have wondered if TLC is trying to throw the Duggars under the bus. The show is boring, and they are not showing these people in the best light. Maybe the show will get cancelled due to lack of advertising, and TLC will give us a show with all the outtakes. Michelle screaming at her kids, Anna telling Josh he's a pompous prig, etc. Won't happen, but I would definitely watch that.

11 hours ago, somanybooks said:

And "precious" is one of their favorite words!

Preshhhhusss season of life we purposesssses to walk through.

On the storyline about lights in Jessa and Bin's bedroom:

I laughed when Jessa said she'd been looking at the ceiling a lot. My thought was, Wow, has sex become that boring  for you so quickly??

And I understand that a light in the middle of a ceiling can look very dated, and can make the room look horrible. But it's a bedroom, for gawd's sake. Wouldn't a table lamp or a floor lamp be better? Why do they need those (we call them "pot lights" here). How much illumination do you really need in a bedroom?

It makes me wonder if the real goal is to be sure the room is well-lit for filming purposes.

What exactly does TLC want to show us in there? (After seeing their unmade bed, I'm grossed out by their slovenliness.)

4 minutes ago, Analytica49 said:

I laughed when Jessa said she'd been looking at the ceiling a lot

I didn't watch the special so I'm currently laughing so hard about that...I wonder if she doesn't know that the rest of the world knows that as slang for how much sex they're having bahahaha

13 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

She looks especially desperate in that photo...

She WAS desperate. The ice cream all just had melted!!

Last night I dreamed Jinger had been accepted to Harvard and Joy was also college-bound and, as a gag, was gifted with a gazillion boxes of feminine supplies.

I need to take melatonin more often.:pb_biggrin:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you not supposed to let your baby sleep in the car seat once you are out of the car?

On 2016-03-24 at 1:15 AM, somanybooks said:

I love reading everyone's comments because there's no one around here I can talk with about the Duggars without them thinking I'm completely crazy.

So true. I feel as if keeping track of the Duggars is my secret flaw. No one else in my family has any interest.

However, my son-in-law once commented that population control is doomed, because people like the Duggars who have huge families will simply crowd out those who have small ones. Plus their propaganda for ultra-large families will be passed on to succeeding generations, whereas a couple who decides to have no children has no one to whom to pass on their views about limiting population growth.

3 hours ago, YourGodIsNotMine said:

Sierra in Gollum's whisper voice: "My Duggars! We wants you. We needs you."

My own tv show! We wants it. We needs it.

• Criscat locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived