IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel part 14

Boogalou

@ClaraOswin seeing Izzy lick and chomp on the fan made me cringe, too. I get that the metal was probably nice and cool and the vibration felt good against his teething gums (poor little dude) but that should have been a clue for mom or dad or anyone to go get him something else instead (if you don't have a store nearby that sells those (because..you know...cintral america) stick a piece of fruit in the freezer for a bit or what not).

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What first caught my attention in the Izzy/fan scene was the teething child gumming the fan pole dangerously near the electrical cord - WTF? Then I noticed that Izzy was able to make the whole fan assemblage sway making me to wonder how soon before the whole thing toppled over onto Izzy. Finally I noticed the whirring fan blades and shuddered at the thought of Izzy reaching a curious tiny toddler finger up and sticking it through the metal fan protector cage and having it chopped off.

I wonder if we see photos of a bruised Izzy so often because his parents are too stupid to see when their toddler is in harms way and thus fail to remove him from dangerous situations.

Is their thinking so stunted that they can't look at the fan w/ toddler and imagine the possible negative outcomes from that situation and make the fan inaccessible to Izzy before he's electrocuted, smooshed and bruised by a falling fan, or minus a finger?

9 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I guess they hope they can lecture at churches about their time in OMGDANGEROUSCINTRALAMERICA?  But after they do that for a month or so--then what????

My guess is go back over the summer for the SOS missions. They could also stay put for the show ratings

On March 30, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Mercer said:

Wait... Derrick is drawing a salary for paid ministry and soliciting donations without willingly disclosing that fact to potential donors? That's incredibly dishonest.

I realize some organizations require missionaries to raise a portion of their own support, and I don't necessarily have a problem with that (it may not be the most efficient division of labor, but that's neither here nor there) as long as the missionary is fully open with their supporters about the arrangement. If the donors are aware and still choose to give their money, that's their own business.

What's very much not okay is portraying yourself as needing support for your full living expenses while also cashing a paycheck. Jill may not be bright enough to realize that - though you'd think she'd have heard enough of the Bible to pick up the idea of basic honesty - but surely someone with an accounting degree would grasp that money needs to be accounted for, so Derrick really has no excuse.

The one silver lining is for Izzy, that it means his parents will have somewhat of a stable income to provide for him even if they hit a slow donation month. I was worried about that, with the uncertainty of donation revenue, because I didn't know Derrick was also getting paid.

I'm sure the family lawyers have gone over the wording of their donation appeals to make sure they aren't technically committing the legal definition of fraud, but I really find this the moral equivalent. The Dillards must be really desperate for other people's money, to stoop that low.

I would also think with the on again off again nature of the show they might have bamboozled people into thinking the TLC money had dried up. 

Either way they're getting several revenue streams, they're Grifters Gone Wild.

5 hours ago, sndral said:

What first caught my attention in the Izzy/fan scene was the teething child gumming the fan pole dangerously near the electrical cord - WTF? Then I noticed that Izzy was able to make the whole fan assemblage sway making me to wonder how soon before the whole thing toppled over onto Izzy. Finally I noticed the whirring fan blades and shuddered at the thought of Izzy reaching a curious tiny toddler finger up and sticking it through the metal fan protector cage and having it chopped off.

I wonder if we see photos of a bruised Izzy so often because his parents are too stupid to see when their toddler is in harms way and thus fail to remove him from dangerous situations.

Is their thinking so stunted that they can't look at the fan w/ toddler and imagine the possible negative outcomes from that situation and make the fan inaccessible to Izzy before he's electrocuted, smooshed and bruised by a falling fan, or minus a finger?

:my_cry: Pretty much the only time I've been glad not to be able to see the episodes!  That sounds terrifying!  I guessed they were crap parents but that's such needless danger!

18 hours ago, Jucifer said:

When I see the word boob these days I immediately think of Jim Bob. :)

I found myself snickering in the supermarket when I passed the bags of frozen Tater tots.

9 hours ago, sndral said:

I am sad to say I know of a LOT of parents who just seem completely oblivious to dangers in the home. It disturbs me.

Then there are others who basically are anti-baby proofing for various reasons.

I am a better safe than sorry person. We baby and toddler proofed our house like crazy.

I remember finding these GREAT outlet covers. Basically, in order to plug something in, you had to partially insert the plug, then turn it a bit, then continue to push the plug completely into the outlet. We were installing them when Two became mobile. TWo had them figured out before we completed one room, basically. We knew then that the force was strong with that one... who is also the one who (daily) loosened the screws of a park bench in his room... what happened while Two was supposed to be napping.. Daily, I tightened those nuts with tools, and daily, they got loosened. Sometimes, the baby is stronger than the proofing... 

However, I agree Izzy should not be gumming an electric appliance, nor should he be standing and rocking on it..

9 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Sometimes, the baby is stronger than the proofing... 

As a kid who, in the same year, figured out electric outlet covers, had to go to the ER because she cut herself on glass, and broke her crib from pulling the dresser down on me (that old stand on the bottom drawer trick), yes. My parents were so glad when I turned 3 and stopped most of that stuff.

27 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Then there are others who basically are anti-baby proofing for various reasons.

My curiosity is trumping my fear of another mommy war: what are the reasons people have for being anti-baby proofing? I mean, is this like an organized ideology? 

7 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

My curiosity is trumping my fear of another mommy war: what are the reasons people have for being anti-baby proofing? I mean, is this like an organized ideology? 

If I have to turn this thread around one more time...

:) 

I never heard of being against baby-proofing, but I got some advice when my eldest was a toddler not to put any of the good crystal/fragile things away - just smack their hands whenever they go to touch and they'll learn.  

I chose to ignore the crazy people and followed my mom's maxim of "people are more important than things" and put breakables out of reach until they were older.  As a result I had toddlers without needless injury and my good crystal is still intact.

If people are opposed to baby proofing to the extent of not covering outlets, locking up cleaning products, sharp objects out of reach etc.  that's not an ideology, it's neglect.  

Kids will find ways to hurt themselves in the most baby-proofed of homes.  I was obsessive about it and still have a kid with a scar on their eyebrow from losing a fight with the coffee table while learning to walk.  I lunged to grab them but not fast enough.  With my fearless kid I wanted to get rid of all the furniture and cover our house in those foam mats they use for gymnastics.  

And just to put your minds at ease, my kids are now in college and do not go thorough life knocking all breakable objects off tables...thing is their coordination and understanding developed just fine without hitting them.  

42 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

i've heard that it you're over coddling them making every where they go a safe place so when they go. We baby proofed: Outlets, moving household cleaners to high cabinets, and TV stand. Other then it is common sense.  

8 minutes ago, Wenny said:

i've heard that it you're over coddling them making every where they go a safe place so when they go. We baby proofed: Outlets, moving household cleaners to high cabinets, and TV stand. Other then it is common sense.  

There's also the argument that it's their house too. Most people who are not into "baby-proofing" are still reasonable people who anchor furniture to walls and such, they just aren't into buying every product on the market with a promise to make everything "safer." 

1 minute ago, Maggie Mae said:

There's also the argument that it's their house too. Most people who are not into "baby-proofing" are still reasonable people who anchor furniture to walls and such, they just aren't into buying every product on the market with a promise to make everything "safer." 

It just the extremist on both ends that ruin it for everyone. I think you gauge it by child, like Nephew was a quiet child who never wanted to more then 5 feet away from you. My daughter is the reincarnation of the Tazmaina devil.  Nephew could be told no to touch something and 4 out of 5 times, he isn't going to touch it. Daughter is more of a battle because she wants to know why can't you touch it, why can't you do that, why can't she do that, if she does this can she touch it? Oops she touched it already. 

I did the basics and then when son #3 exhibited extraordinary powers of gleeful wildness, went further than that. I've explained previous, but they were wild powers. Lol. 

17 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Totally agree with this.  To me baby proofing is moving the poisonous stuff/dangerous items out of reach, outlet covers, making sure they can't kill themselves.  

But, what's with the outlet covers anyway? I just can't understand why a kid would decide to stick something on it. I barely even noticed plugs until i was like 4. Does anyone have a child that had a fixation with it?

3 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

But, what's with the outlet covers anyway? I just can't understand why a kid would decide to stick something on it. I barely even noticed plugs until i was like 4. Does anyone have a child that had a fixation with it?

From very personal experience, children with metal scissors tend to have a fascination with electrical outlets.

10 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

The outlets are typically down at their level when they are crawling or walking. In my experience, between 8 and 14ish months, some babies are highly interested in outlets! 

14 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

My first child has never shown any interest in the outlets. Somewhere around 2/3 she tried plugging something in, maybe a lamp, and her daddy and i explained that was ONLY for adults. She's left them alone since.  Very few of our outlets aren't behind furniture (which is kind of a pita), so that's part of it.  When I worked preschool state law didn't allow outlet covers because of the danger of kids getting them off and then being a choking hazard. So all outlets had to be the safety kind.

I baby proofed and my 3 1/2 year old managed to move a chair, climb on a counter, open an upper cupboard, open the "childproof" container and eat some of my vitamins in the brief period that I changed her sisters diaper--two rooms away.   Shit happens--thank God for poison control--to the best of us, which is why you don't encourage your toddler to climb a friggin fan!

1 minute ago, Mothership said:

I baby proofed and my 3 1/2 year old managed to move a chair, climb on a counter, open an upper cupboard, open the "childproof" container and eat some of my vitamins in the brief period that I changed her sisters diaper--two rooms away.   Shit happens--thank God for poison control--to the best of us, which is why you don't encourage your toddler to climb a friggin fan!

I'm going to say- we're pretty lax about child proofing. We did the big stuff, and then fixed what we needed to as my kid started exploring. We also watched her carefully though, and try to teach why things are dangerous. And we got a few minor scrapes and bumps on the way, but so far she's been super cautious.  To a point where I have to push her to take safe risks.  

BUT I never let her chew on cables. And if I saw the risk izzy was taking with the fan I'd redirect and make a new plan for the fan. Seriously. It's one thing to have it happen in the moment, and then fix it. It's another to be like "oh, it feels good on his gums" and just let him keep on keeping on.  You can't possibly predict every thing that could go wrong in your house, but you use your kid's behavior to learn, hopefully before anything major happens. So maybe yesterday he couldn't reach the fan, now he can. So move it jill. not that hard.

Also, your kid sounds like a good problem solver :) And childproof bottles just make the challenge all the more fun for them.

My friend once told me about his son- when he was around 3 he wanted to go to his grandma's house. His dad said no. Dad went for a bathroom break only to find son missing. He was discovered a few blocks away at grandma's. Within a  couple of minutes he pushed a chair up to the counter, climbed up, opened a window, and climbed through it, jumped down and ran to grandma. like you said, shit happens.

Hubby insisted we baby proof... When we adopted our then 10 month-old puppy... :pb_lol:

To be fair though, we had my sister's beagle puppy over a few times and he gets into everything. Seriously, he even taught himself how to open cabinets! Hubby was worried ours would be the same so the outlet plugs and cabinet locks were brought out.

Of course, our dog would have no interest in outlets or cabinets... But at least we're prepared when my sister eventually brings her newborn son over (and, you know, he learns to move.)

1 hour ago, Fundie Bunny said:

In the United States, they look like a face and are at the perfect height for toddlers.

When I was a toddler, I managed to pull up a chair, break into the medicine cabinet and almost "OD" on grape-flavored children's Tylenol. I still remember my mom freaking out and forcing me to throw up in the bathtub. I remember that I didn't even like the grape flavor of the Tylenol. I was eating them because I could. Kids always find a way lol.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived