IGNORED

They're back! Counting On is now an official show!

TheSilverTongue

15 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Speaking of Josh and trash, I read an article yesterday about trash collecting and sanitation in general, and it's a very well-paying job, especially if you're driving the trucks. In NYC, the can make over $100K a year, no high school degree required (no snark here, I like that such a hard, dirty job pays so well).

Very familiar with this situation - the wages are incredibly good, for the most part, for little to no extended education. 

Most of the larger organizations/cities have unions involved, and management fights them hard on wages, or drags their feet on even negotiating a contract.... Drivers max out in Los Angeles about $26 an hour (based on seniority). 

My favorite part of working for very large waste company was getting to occasionally ride in the garbage trucks!  So bouncy!  Lots of fun.  4 am start time is brutal, however.

I am a fountain of fun garbage-waste-recycling information, if you ever want to know more.  SNORT....

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Whoosh said:

I don't know if this has been confirmed or not, but if it is true it really, REALLY makes me wonder what the moving forward plan is and makes me very concerned about Anna and the M kids and even Josh (unless there is an actual plan that Josh won't be in the same physical location as them when there is filming taking place (and even that is weird unless they are planning to spend a lot of time apart with or without filming )).

Do we know that Anna is going to be a "regular" on the show?  We know she will be in some episodes that have already been shot, but I am guessing she will only be appearing in scenes where Josh would not be expected to appear.

18 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

That should get him far, I have a B.S. in Poly Sci, you know what you do with that degree?  Yeah me either. :my_dodgy:  I did spend 10 years as a stay at home mom and now I'm Office Manager/Personal Assistant for a local business man and one of his many small businesses. 

The problem is that because of Gothardism, they have no choices. Hard work is honorable. Having choices about what work to do makes for a more satisfying experience and personal growth. La la

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I can't help but remember Anna talking about how glad she was that she had a husband because otherwise she'd have to take the trash out by herself. I have to say, if taking the garbage out by myself is the price I have to pay for not being married to a Josh Duggar, I'll drive the freaking garbage truck.

Yeah the only problem is, the trash comes back in.

4 hours ago, Whoosh said:

I don't know if this has been confirmed or not, but if it is true it really, REALLY makes me wonder what the moving forward plan is and makes me very concerned about Anna and the M kids and even Josh (unless there is an actual plan that Josh won't be in the same physical location as them when there is filming taking place (and even that is weird unless they are planning to spend a lot of time apart with or without filming )).

Well but he can just stay out of the shot, go to the toilet just when the cameraman scans their family table?  If the audience doesn't see him it doesn't count. 

5 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Well but he can just stay out of the shot, go to the toilet just when the cameraman scans their family table?  If the audience doesn't see him it doesn't count. 

This is exactly what I think they will do.  My question is what message does that send and how does that impact the thinking of Anna, Josh, the M kids, etc.

I mean, the situation is horrid anyway, so what's one more layer of total lunacy I guess.

28 minutes ago, Whoosh said:

This is exactly what I think they will do.  My question is what message does that send and how does that impact the thinking of Anna, Josh, the M kids, etc.

I mean, the situation is horrid anyway, so what's one more layer of total lunacy I guess.

Their thinking is already all kinds of screwed up so I don't see this having any impact. I think Josh will just not be at a lot of the "events" as they will most likely be manufactured for the show. It isn't as though they are regularly having huge parties. They bought what, $2k worth of lumber to build a tree-house? Jim Bob is a tightwad, he would never spend that amount of money for that. It's for the show. Everything is for the show. Josh will likely just hang around on non-filming days where they are doing nothing as always.

7 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I kind of feel guilty that as I was reading that the guy from the cleaning service was in here emptying the garbage in my office.  

And I didn't even have to marry him.

Well why marry the cow when you can get the milk for free?

16 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

A promo I read...came in an email from the Duggar blog...Anna will be included, minus Josh. Boy, he really screwed himself out of a sweet deal, didn't he. And look Josh, your wife is WORKING and IS THE FAMILY'S MAIN BREADWINNER!  That's gotta hurt.

That was mean. I'll go tell Jesus I sinned.

While is may be demasculating to have Anna be the family breadwinner, Josh is lazy. Did he screw himself, or did he gain more time to be lazy? Then again, I can't imagine he'd be allowed to surf the internet on his free time, or go anywhere alone. Does this mean somebody will have to be Josh's accountability buddy while Anna is filming? I guess when Anna's filming, Josh could sit somewhere off camera playing MakaziVille on his flip phone of shame. 

15 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

yeah, they'd have to read secular passages for the English and Reading sections, as well as read charts and graphs about real Science in the Science section! In the ACT book there's even a passage about dinosaurs and mentions of australopithecus, an early human species from 3 million years ago! :pb_eek:

I think about them while playing Trivia Crack sometimes. I have a friend I play with that was homeschooled. She admits her mother was not a very good teacher and she always bitches about some of the questions in history because she never learned about them. 

On 2/26/2016 at 6:54 AM, CoveredInBees said:

Counting On?

Counting on TLC's money.

Also, counting on the public forgetting the Josh molested his sisters and cheated on his wife, Jill and Derick misusing their donations and not being honest with their donors, and Jim Bob and Michelle failing to educate their children. The list could keep going.

At least Jana looks happy in the promo for the new season.

Spoiler

tumblr_o30v46IkhT1r9t2zdo5_1280.jpg

Promo Video Posted 2 Days Ago:

Spoiler

A promo I read...came in an email from the Duggar blog...Anna will be included, minus Josh. Boy, he really screwed himself out of a sweet deal, didn't he. And look Josh, your wife is WORKING and IS THE FAMILY'S MAIN BREADWINNER!  That's gotta hurt.

That was mean. I'll go tell Jesus I sinned.

While is may be demasculating to have Anna be the family breadwinner, Josh is lazy. Did he screw himself, or did he gain more time to be lazy? Then again, I can't imagine he'd be allowed to surf the internet on his free time, or go anywhere alone. Does this mean somebody will have to be Josh's accountability buddy while Anna is filming? I guess when Anna's filming, Josh could sit somewhere off camera playing MakaziVille on his flip phone of shame. 

That needs to be a post count title: playing MakaziVille on the flip phone of shame

Jana's laugh in the preview sounds so sweet [forgive me for not finding a better adjective:pb_redface:] and I think it's because I don't know that I remember Jana ever laughing or even seeming genuinely happy before. I hope this show does wonders for her.

I've never seen Jana that happy.  I wonder if there's a secret boyfriend that will be revealed on the show.

13 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

That should get him far, I have a B.S. in Poly Sci, you know what you do with that degree?  Yeah me either. :my_dodgy:  I did spend 10 years as a stay at home mom and now I'm Office Manager/Personal Assistant for a local business man and one of his many small businesses. 

For what it is worth, people with bachelor's degrees in business sometimes end up wIth jobs like yours.  College degrees may make you more likely to be employed in one field or another, but a bachelor's degree doesn't have enough specialization that you are slotted for a particular career.  

An associate degree (which is what Ben has, whether it is in political science or business) is even less specialization and even less marketable.  He can aspire to an office job--if his degree is in business he might get hired to keep accounts and data bases-- but most of the jobs that an AA or a AS can get are also open to people with no more than highschool.

I haven't had time to re-read the old thread about Ben's credentials (I do remember skimming it back in June) but I don't think it matters much whether his associates degree is in business or poli sci. The real question is not what jobs would hire him but rather what jobs is he likely to look for.

The school he went to offers AA degrees that are "transferable" as the first part of a BA or BS and also AA degrees that are an end in themselves, with credits that will only partly transfer to a bachelor's degree.  The business curriculum is one of those that only partly transfer. Someone who went with that degree to a four-year college would have to take more of what are termed "general education courses" and would not get all of the business courses to count because they are 200 level or below.

If he was thinking of continuing to seminary or some other full-college degree, the smart thing to have done was to take the AA in social sciences. (As others have pointed out, the school does not offer an AA in political science.)  Within this AA program, there are choices of courses, and it is possible that he took these choices in poli sci, since the school is secular and apparently doesn't offer courses in religion.  That may be the origin of the statement that he got his degree in poli sci.  On the other hand, the report that he took the business degree could be correct instead.

Either way, with an AA or AS you are not really that much more employable than with a high school diploma and on-the-job experience.  A BS or BA is stronger, but it doesn't really guarantee a specific career path.  A bachelor's in business, unless it specializes in accounting or a similar skill-specific aspect ("management" is not skill specific enough) is not much better than a bachelor's degree in poli sci or any other liberal art.  An MBA, on the other hand, still opens doors, though not as many as it used to.

I am posting at length about this because there seems to be a misconception about Ben's employability and ability to support a family with just an associate's degree.  Though the business AA might give him a slight advantage at an entry level job, it won't get him a higher salary than a social science AA.

I think it's funny Jessa said during the trainwreck interview that In Touch is owned by a company that has a history of exploiting women.

...so...what is your own father doing?

Oh right I forgot. It's not exploitation if JEEBUS tells him to.

42 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

For what it is worth, people with bachelor's degrees in business sometimes end up wIth jobs like yours.  College degrees may make you more likely to be employed in one field or another, but a bachelor's degree doesn't have enough specialization that you are slotted for a particular career.  

An associate degree (which is what Ben has, whether it is in political science or business) is even less specialization and even less marketable.  He can aspire to an office job--if his degree is in business he might get hired to keep accounts and data bases-- but most of the jobs that an AA or a AS can get are also open to people with no more than highschool.

I haven't had time to re-read the old thread about Ben's credentials (I do remember skimming it back in June) but I don't think it matters much whether his associates degree is in business or poli sci. The real question is not what jobs would hire him but rather what jobs is he likely to look for.

The school he went to offers AA degrees that are "transferable" as the first part of a BA or BS and also AA degrees that are an end in themselves, with credits that will only partly transfer to a bachelor's degree.  The business curriculum is one of those that only partly transfer. Someone who went with that degree to a four-year college would have to take more of what are termed "general education courses" and would not get all of the business courses to count because they are 200 level or below.

If he was thinking of continuing to seminary or some other full-college degree, the smart thing to have done was to take the AA in social sciences. (As others have pointed out, the school does not offer an AA in political science.)  Within this AA program, there are choices of courses, and it is possible that he took these choices in poli sci, since the school is secular and apparently doesn't offer courses in religion.  That may be the origin of the statement that he got his degree in poli sci.  On the other hand, the report that he took the business degree could be correct instead.

Either way, with an AA or AS you are not really that much more employable than with a high school diploma and on-the-job experience.  A BS or BA is stronger, but it doesn't really guarantee a specific career path.  A bachelor's in business, unless it specializes in accounting or a similar skill-specific aspect ("management" is not skill specific enough) is not much better than a bachelor's degree in poli sci or any other liberal art.  An MBA, on the other hand, still opens doors, though not as many as it used to.

I am posting at length about this because there seems to be a misconception about Ben's employability and ability to support a family with just an associate's degree.  Though the business AA might give him a slight advantage at an entry level job, it won't get him a higher salary than a social science AA.

Bottom line, you have to get out of the house and knock on doors before ANY job opportunity will present itself. Maybe Ben sits on online all day searching for jobs, but since neither he nor Jessa have ever mentioned him doing such, and as far as I can recall, he was never filmed doing such which would provide proof, we have to assume that he is not doing such.

Is he still on his baby leave?

These folks want the easy money and fame for doing nada.

Work is for suckers.

On 2/24/2016 at 8:21 AM, Hera said:

TLC would have had to individually contract with each of the kids over 18.  They're not legally incapacitated nor are they minors under the law.  Therefore, generally speaking, JB has no authority to contract on their behalf or be paid on their behalf.  Now, they could have signed over a power of attorney to JB or have some other agreement that allows JB to represent them, like an agent or whatever, and then they may owe him some money under that scenario, but that is most likely a separate agreement from any agreement that TLC has with them.  

Oh, and it's one thing for your dad to take all of your money when you're doing a show as a family and the network negotiated with him.  It's another when you are doing all the work and you are the draw, but your dad keeps on trying to steal the spotlight and take all of your money.  This is how those "you stole my money, momager and dadager" lawsuits get started.  

I'm getting caught up, so maybe this has been addressed already, but it occured to me that the new show is made up of kidults only, which could be a way for TLC to imply that JB&M aren't getting any money from them.

On 2/24/2016 at 9:58 AM, freethemall said:

Is TLC even trying to making it look like this is a different show? With a name centered on two women and only one of them is in the promos around about 10 other people?

I predict lots of speaking engagements, lots of cloying Southern Women Show ladies drooling.

Also Jessa's bangs look really dumb on her. It's been said but needs to be said again. I'm glad she seems to be clipping it away now, it must mean this promo was filmed a while ago....how old does Sturgeon seem?

Here's a pic from Amy's ig taken 3 weeks ago in which Jinger is wearing the same outfit as the TLC promo, down to the necklace.

brb, looking at Jessa's ig for Spurgeon in the blue cardigan. Yep, this was taken three weeks ago, too:

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Bottom line, you have to get out of the house and knock on doors before ANY job opportunity will present itself. Maybe Ben sits on online all day searching for jobs, but since neither he nor Jessa have ever mentioned him doing such, and as far as I can recall, he was never filmed doing such which would provide proof, we have to assume that he is not doing such.

Is he still on his baby leave?

These folks want the easy money and fame for doing nada.

Work is for suckers.

not only is work for suckers - but it is for the people who are not elite according to his pre-ordained religion 

and what an episode that would be - ben online and sending in resumes - seriously that would be fun to watch :D

and then he gets to go on the interview 

Riveting television 

bring back the dentist episodes 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived