IGNORED

They're back! Counting On is now an official show!

TheSilverTongue

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 7:01 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

I can't say that I'm surprised. Twenty years ago, a network show needed 20 million viewers per week to be considered mildly popular and today 3 million viewers on cable is considered a hit. The Duggars clearly have enough leghumpers to reach that goal,

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the types of people who are fans of the Duggars are also the types of people who pay for cable TV versus streaming or downloading TV,

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, withaj said:

I wonder if there is such a thing as a strict form of Messianic Judaism that follows Orthodox traditions? Haha.

I knew a Messianic Jewish family who did, but as far as I know they were just one individual family doing their own thing and they weren't closely associated with any sort of larger movement.

12 minutes ago, nomoxian said:

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the types of people who are fans of the Duggars are also the types of people who pay for cable TV versus streaming or downloading TV,

I always assumed that the more fundie fans of the Duggars were the sorts who didn't have TV and just downloaded the show so as not to be exposed to commercials for birth control or other things they found offensive. Then again, hard-core fundies were probably not the main audience for the Duggars. More like mainstream Christians who wanted something "wholesome" to watch. Whether this demographic comes back will be the million dollar question.

It is not clear to me anyway, how many people have really taken the time, or were exposed to, the lovely effects of Gothardism. Maybe people just watch because the kids are cute/attractiive. 

I have seen a couple of movies on UP. I don't think the channel is about being perfect Christian or religious person. They aren't hiding what is out in the world. What I have seen is a lot of stories about redemption and hope. People may have made mistakes but they grow from them and come out on the other side a better person, just like Gilmore girls. Mom may have had a baby as a teenager but she worked hard to raise an amazing daughter. 

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I always assumed that the more fundie fans of the Duggars were the sorts who didn't have TV and just downloaded the show so as not to be exposed to commercials for birth control or other things they found offensive. Then again, hard-core fundies were probably not the main audience for the Duggars. More like mainstream Christians who wanted something "wholesome" to watch. Whether this demographic comes back will be the million dollar question.

Yeah, I remember some homeschool vlogger joking about homeschooled kids only plugging in the TV when the Duggars were going to be on, or something like that. I'd rather leave the thing unplugged, personally, but I guess when you haven't seen the face of another human being in several months, seeing 19 of them at once is super entertaining.

16 hours ago, nst said:

nice cast

you should binge watch the affair

as for Anna saying that - I hated when she said that - I will take out my garbage every day 

Did she have any other good reasons for being married? Like he kills the spiders and picks up heavy things?   I mean those are legit reasons to get married! 

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

I knew a Messianic Jewish family who did, but as far as I know they were just one individual family doing their own thing and they weren't closely associated with any sort of larger movement.

It wouldn't shock me if all the Duggar's or a few or just Jessa and Bin started their own religion.  Boob doesn't exactly follow Garthard and or the bible as closely as he follows what ever the hell he wants. 

On 2/23/2016 at 0:44 PM, Piano gal said:

All I can say is at least I'll have snark to read while I'm sitting around recovering from a double mastectomy. :56247958af296_32(20):

That's a hell of a thing to go through, Piano gal, I hope you are on the mend and doing well.

And just...no. I can't believe the shit show is going to continue. Will the Duggar train ever derail and the show just die?! 

I'd kick in for a gift certificate to a winery for Buzzard. At the rate the Duggars are going, she's going to be recapping forever!

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Did she have any other good reasons for being married? Like he kills the spiders and picks up heavy things?   I mean those are legit reasons to get married! 

It wouldn't shock me if all the Duggar's or a few or just Jessa and Bin started their own religion.  Boob doesn't exactly follow Garthard and or the bible as closely as he follows what ever the hell he wants. 

Sex. She got marriedso she could have sex. That is what fundie-ism is all about - linking sex and marriage completely, unlike we heathens who get married as a life partnership completely separate from lust.

Well, maybe not completely separate, but it's not why I got married, I could have sex all day long if I wanted, without marrying him.

On 2/24/2016 at 1:45 PM, nickelodeon said:

People are saying that the show will feature a baby shower (to which randos from all over town were invited but told not to post about on social media.) Does anyone have an idea whose it might be? Or do you think these testimonies are very belated reports of the Spurge shower from the specials?

I think this is the baby shower being referred to, Justin and Kristen Young.

1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

The first thing I noticed was the Arrow cookies and started singing "Follow your Arrow" by Kacey Musgraves 

2 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

The first thing I noticed was the Arrow cookies and started singing "Follow your Arrow" by Kacey Musgraves 

does Justin own Tacos for Life restaurant that the Duggars are always IGing about?  

21 minutes ago, biblelandjunkie said:

does Justin own Tacos for Life restaurant that the Duggars are always IGing about?  

i just did some facebook sleauthing 

and 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our Fayetteville Store Leader, @justinleeyoung! He's a fun addition to our Tacos 4 Life family

looks like he manages it - but doesn't own it 

is it a fundy thing to support everything through pictures - it's exhausting how much networking these people do 

7 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

7 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

I don't know why it quoted twice, But I starting singing Kacey Musgraves too! 

and I think the cookies are super cute

8 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

My first thought on seeing those cookies was that it is such as shame a new baby is reduced to a bloody arrow for it's Daddy's quiver and not as a person in it's own right.  It might not be what they are thinking (probably is) but that's how it comes across me.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:31 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

That should get him far, I have a B.S. in Poly Sci, you know what you do with that degree?  Yeah me either. :my_dodgy:  I did spend 10 years as a stay at home mom and now I'm Office Manager/Personal Assistant for a local business man and one of his many small businesses. 

I was a paralegeal and then went to law school with my BA in poly sci.  I wouldn't recommend the law school route, though.  And oh dear god, I just thought of Bin trying to get through his first year of law school and choked on my coffee.

FYI, spider-murderer was an actual requirement on my internet dating profile, and my resulting headship and I had it put into our wedding vows. It is a totally okay reason to get married.

On 2/28/2016 at 11:44 PM, Jingerbread said:

Why can't they just get jobs...

On 2/28/2016 at 11:44 PM, Jingerbread said:

You know how they feel about four-letter words.

How appropriate that this "four letter word" is a "J" word

On 2/27/2016 at 11:50 AM, zadie said:

I think it's funny Jessa said during the trainwreck interview that In Touch is owned by a company that has a history of exploiting women.

...so...what is your own father doing?

Oh right I forgot. It's not exploitation if JEEBUS tells him to.

Does InTouch even do anything to exploit women ever? I look at their page and it's almost completely fluff and what celebs post on twitter. Them finding something out and doing investigative journalism seems to be pretty out of character for them. It seems more like needless character assassination. 

On 2/28/2016 at 4:37 AM, missegeno said:

Am I the only one who thinks they aren't going to put much effort to hiding Joshley? I think we will first see him tangentially, and he'll slowly become more prominent. I also think there will be a redemption speaking tour to explain how God's love can reform a sinner. At that point, showing him will just be part of the "ministry," so viewers can see "faithful life after sin." I predict he'll be back at his old ways throughout. News of his sinning may break again, and TLC will just find a way to capitalize on the drama. That's my prediction, at least.

Me neither. Look at the Counting on Mini series. They didn't interview the parents, but they were clearly visible on the show. We'll start by seeing Josh in the background and he'll creep into a central role. Be prepared to hear all about how Josh has "truly changed". Again. Just like last time. 

12 hours ago, August said:

Sex. She got marriedso she could have sex. That is what fundie-ism is all about - linking sex and marriage completely, unlike we heathens who get married as a life partnership completely separate from lust.

Well, maybe not completely separate, but it's not why I got married, I could have sex all day long if I wanted, without marrying him.

Yep. Sure shows how much they care about the sanctity of marriage they talk so much about. 

10 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

Fuck am I crazy or are these arrows for Quiverfull, where the arrows symbolize children. 

24 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I see teepees so I'm wondering if its some screwed up cowboys and indians thing? Not sure whats up with the squirrels and is that a fox?

I bet you anything that's the reason why they choose that semi-racist cookie set to begin with. 

"Oh look, this one has little arrows for God's children. Let's get this one." 

I doubt they were thinking Cowboys and Indians with the arrows. You are giving these people too much credit for having critical thinking skills. 

35 minutes ago, TheSilverTongue said:

Does InTouch even do anything to exploit women ever? I look at their page and it's almost completely fluff and what celebs post on twitter. Them finding something out and doing investigative journalism seems to be pretty out of character for them. It seems more like needless character assassination. 

Me neither. Look at the Counting on Mini series. They didn't interview the parents, but they were clearly visible on the show. We'll start by seeing Josh in the background and he'll creep into a central role. Be prepared to hear all about how Josh has "truly changed". Again. Just like last time. 

Yep. Sure shows how much they care about the sanctity of marriage they talk so much about. 

Fuck am I crazy or are these arrows for Quiverfull, where the arrows symbolize children. 

on his facebook account him and his leader are clear about what they are trying to empower and I use empower as a loose word 

in some pictures it's a little creepy 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived