IGNORED

Sarah Maxwell took a plane trip and Mary posts OCC

Seven Severn

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kpmom said:

It's funny, we've been discussing how things might be lightening up just a little bit in Maxwell world.  Now Steve posts a Seriously Dad that talks about how the worst thing to be is "Worldly minded".

He goes on to quote a scripture that calls people adulterers and adulteresses who are friends of the world.

So, I'm guessing no lightening up for Steve.

I can only imagine how crazy-making it must be to live under Stevehovah's ever-watchful gaze: "Let's have a family barbecue on an unusually warm day, kids, and watch the cute little girls eat cupcakes! But don't you DARE enjoy these worldly things, because that would make you adulterers and adulteresses!!!" 

That's our Stevie, all right - always the little ray of sunshine. 

Jesus wept. And with good reason.

What cracks me up about the latest post is that there are 10 comments.  I was surprised because the post isn't very interesting and there are no big announcements calling out for a congratulations.  Surprise.  Almost all of the comments are about the local weather.  Sarah asked, "What about you all? Enjoying the unseasonable weather or are you having snow?" and people told her.  Riveting.

My husband and I have a FB page for our dog and we always double check ourselves to make sure the pictures are interesting and visually appealing.  Could the picture be cropped?  Is it too dark?  Is it too samey, and so on.  Not Sarah.  It never ceases to amaze me what crappy pictures she posts.

On 2/13/2016 at 3:59 PM, usmcmom said:

I am skeptical that Sarah really went alone. If Elissa is friends with Tiffany, maybe she and Josepeh (or another Maxwell sibling) went with Sarah. The Maxwells like to keep the lines a little blurry when it comes to facts but I hope I am wrong. 

Sorry to put a damper on the party. 

I doubt she went alone.  Joseph and Elissa went away too.  They probably all went on the plane together. 

2 hours ago, kpmom said:

It's funny, we've been discussing how things might be lightening up just a little bit in Maxwell world.  Now Steve posts a Seriously Dad that talks about how the worst thing to be is "Worldly minded".

He goes on to quote a scripture that calls people adulterers and adulteresses who are friends of the world.

So, I'm guessing no lightening up for Steve.

That is the conundrum for me.  Are the followers so stupid that they cannot see the difference between what Steve says and what his offspring are doing? 

13 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

I doubt she went alone.  Joseph and Elissa went away too.  They probably all went on the plane together. 

I think this has been debunked.

Wow,  the Dad's corner was quite the rant. Steve slithered back down into the rabbit hole, just when I thought he was loosening up a bit.    Maybe it's time for  Steve to do another long fast.  

On February 21, 2016 at 2:10 PM, salex said:

Ok, this is going to be very bitchy but, but please-- if you are going to have a batch of kids petting a dog in baggage claim, for GOD's SAKE move away from the baggage carousel so people can get up to it, get their bag and get out of the way without stepping over a woman kneeling on the floor, a gaggle of kids petting a puppy and the puppy itself.  (I wonder, did they also hand out tracts?)  

Sorry, my travel curmudgeon just saw the pic and hated the situation.

COMPLETELY agree with you.

Also, as a pet-parent to an nervous dog, I do hope they are instructing those children to *always* ask before petting any animal.  It makes me so angry when children's parents just allow their kids to run up to any dog without asking if it is ok.  Of course, a puppy is unlikely to hurt a child but it's a great time to teach little ones good manners/safe behavior around unknown dogs.  

Right! And then you get dogs like mine who sometimes act friendly but then will bite when the kids come closer. I am not just being a bitch when I tell kids to stay away from her, she doesn't like strangers.

She was abused before we got her, so she doesn't tend to like most people right away. Hang around long enough to prove you're not a threat, and she might warm up to you. Maybe.

34 minutes ago, bionicmlle said:

COMPLETELY agree with you.

Also, as a pet-parent to an nervous dog, I do hope they are instructing those children to *always* ask before petting any animal.  It makes me so angry when children's parents just allow their kids to run up to any dog without asking if it is ok.  Of course, a puppy is unlikely to hurt a child but it's a great time to teach little ones good manners/safe behavior around unknown dogs.  

I have a sweet Golden who is 2, and she is a people and especially child, magnet. I have yet to have 1 person, including children, approach without asking first. Yesterday, I even mentioned this to my hubs- 

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

I have a sweet Golden who is 2, and she is a people and especially child, magnet. I have yet to have 1 person, including children, approach without asking first. Yesterday, I even mentioned this to my hubs- 

I am a dog walker. I love dogs even at my age & what I do for a living I ALWAYS ask if I can pet someone's dog. 

18 minutes ago, Trynn said:

Right! And then you get dogs like mine who sometimes act friendly but then will bite when the kids come closer. I am not just being a bitch when I tell kids to stay away from her, she doesn't like strangers.

She was abused before we got her, so she doesn't tend to like most people right away. Hang around long enough to prove you're not a threat, and she might warm up to you. Maybe.

This is one of many reasons my husband and I are trying to teach our son not to run up to dogs. He still does, because he's 4 and doesn't listen, but hopefully it will sink in eventually that some may see a person running up as a threat and react defensively. You just don't know how a dog will behave, even a normally friendly one. 

It's a work in progress, but I promise, some parents are trying to teach their kids proper behavior around dogs. :)

Even when my kid is pretending to be a dog I'll ask my husband or he'll ask me, "May I please pet your dog?" And then we model holding out a hand for her to smell, and then gently scratching her ears.

11 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

@ncb This is being discussed in the Sarah took a plane by herself thread.  Melanie is not pregnant, Sarah just wishes she were.

More likely, Sarah wishes that Sarah was married and pregnant.

6 hours ago, PsyD2013 said:

Wow,  the Dad's corner was quite the rant. Steve slithered back down into the rabbit hole, just when I thought he was loosening up a bit.    Maybe it's time for  Steve to do another long fast.  

Let him do a fast, a nice long one, all by his lonesome,  and not give it any air time. 

Maybe Stevie allowed Sarah to have a friend and travel is because he's realizing, that at 34, chances are pretty slim for Sarah to find a husband and have her own children. (Slim in "fundie standards.)

11 hours ago, PsyD2013 said:

If you read the Dad's Corners over the last year, and  then the blog, there seems to be an inverse relationship between them.  Steve has become more harsh and restrictive at the same time the blog gives the impression that the family are loosening up. Not quite sure what is going on there...

If you read the Dad's Corners over the last year, and  then the blog, there seems to be an inverse relationship between them.  Steve has become more harsh and restrictive at the same time the blog gives the impression that the family are loosening up. Not quite sure what is going on there...

Early stages of Alzheimer's /dementia/ other mental illness?

Mmmm maybe not

Is It a Time Waster?

Reading novels? Watching TV? Watching movies? Those are all activities that we can live just fine without doing (likely a mom is better off without them anyway). For the busy mom, I would wonder if they fit into the top part of her priorities. They rob her of time that she desperately needs for the priorities the Lord has given her.

Teri sounds so cheery.

I've been woefully behind on Maxwell adventures and Free Jinger updates, so imagine my surprise when I log on and see... A dog!  A plane trip!! Maxwellian time rarely allows for so many extraordinary events in just a few short months/years/decades.

Granted Sarah's posts are still quite Sarah in their repetitive, cautiously "sweet" way, but there was definitely some positive energy and even some happiness radiating from those updates. I did see that she was careful to mention how the nieces and nephews are cuter than the puppy (which stinks of Steve and has my cat rolling her eyes), but it was amazing to see 3+ consecutive posts not centered around the excruciating exploits of the siblings and their children.  Get it Sarah! (Maybe even Steve is worrying about Steve, which could explain the extra curmudgeonly and cranky corner.)

15 hours ago, PsyD2013 said:

Dang. I hadn't read any of the corner articles in awhile. He has been going on good old fashioned Steve rants lately, hasn't he? It's all focus, this, and evil worldliness that! I enjoyed this gem from January 27:

For a time or timeless?

Day-timers
Agape love
Pagers
Faithfulness
Pay phones
Self-discipline,
Land lines
Purity
Sears catalog
Hard work
Holiness

“While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.” (2 Corinthians 4:18)

Sears Catalog? But, didn't that have pictures of ladies modeling sensible undergarments? Surely such evil never crossed the Maxwell threshold?

I just popped out to my email and checked on the Dad's Corners or whatever they are called. .... I love how he pitched his home organization books as perfect valentine day gifts. 

Nothing says love more than "Here, read these, you've been seeming overwhelmed fulfilling your God Ordained household management lately.

In reference to the pics from Sarah's trip:

If these fundies are going to insist on having so many children can they at least take 5 minutes to learn to use a car seat properly? Ugh!

1 hour ago, Screamapillar said:

I enjoyed this gem from January 27:

For a time or timeless?

Day-timers
Agape love
Pagers
Faithfulness
Pay phones
Self-discipline,
Land lines
Purity
Sears catalog
Hard work
Holiness

“While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.” (2 Corinthians 4:18)

Sears Catalog? But, didn't that have pictures of ladies modeling sensible undergarments? Surely such evil never crossed the Maxwell threshold?

I understand what he's getting at, but the whole argument is kind of dumb. The sears catalog has mostly been replaced by shopping websites, but even in the bible people went to markets and bought things, or bartered with their neighbors. Cell phones have mostly replaced pay phones and land lines, but that doesn't mean people don't need to communicate with each other. Did his family not release a book about being a great communicator? If communication between people is only relevant "for a time", why should anyone buy his book?

I hold my breath slightly when I click on the Titus 2 blog, I expect big things, then I see a niece or nephew playing or another happy anniversary to a Maxwell brother and I sigh... another day in Maxhell. 

Archived