IGNORED

Sarah Maxwell took a plane trip and Mary posts OCC

Seven Severn

1 hour ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

So much for the "My children don't read" edict from Steve.  So they do read books other than the Bible.  I wonder what else they do that they pretend otherwise? Put meat in their burritos?  Watch the news?  Have FUN?!  Maybe Steve's grip is not as tight as we thought.

I wonder if Sarah is getting any ideas about becoming a missionary like her character in the Moody books?  You say that Katie wasn't married when she started?  Hmmm

Maybe when he read our comments here that it's hard to be a  good writer if you don't read, he decided Sarah needed to read a book.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/22/2016 at 7:38 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

It has "cross" in it, so it's probably Steve-approved. #reps4jesus

QIj6T9m.jpg

Sorry I couldn't help it...

I hadn't noticed the caption "This is the life!" accompanying the photo of Sarah lounging with her puppy reading a book.  So life is about stretching out on a comfy sofa with a cuddly puppy and a book.  How seemingly un-Maxwellian!  I wonder how many seconds she was scheduled to relax for while the photo was taken between chores.

4 hours ago, goldbu said:

I commented asking what book it was and got no response. Weirdos. 

Maybe your post will get "rewritten" (and then answered) so badly that you won't recognize it.  

19 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Maybe your post will get "rewritten" (and then answered) so badly that you won't recognize it.  

I asked about the book the day the post went up so I've given up on any type of answer by now. 

22 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Trynn, I don't know about pagers as I suppose most people would just use their smartphones for that.  (I just have a dumbphone and I need it mostly because there are so few pay phones around.) I still have a landline for my primary phone which I prefer.

There is a reason you've not seen a Sears catalogue since the 90s. The big catalogue ceased publication in 1993 although smaller specialty catalogues were still produced.  (I wonder if the Farm Catalogue is among them.  IIRC, my dad ordered his first bees from Sears and yes, I picked them up from the letter carrier.)  The Christmas "Wish Book" was re-introduced in 2007, but it's not as big as it used to be.

I'm not sure what if any Sears stores the Maxwell's visit? Is it in a more rural area?

Where I live we have a small Sears and if you want something they still have a catalog to look through to order. It is the similar at our small JCpenney's. I know when I go to Sears for Christmas gifts for my husband in the tool department guy goes through a catalog. It is so weird that he double checks prices online but has the catalog out with the tools. This is also the case in the electronics and appliances area at Sears and all clothes for kids are catalog only. In the Jcpenney my husband like a certain type of carpenter jeans. They still look them up in a paper catalog. I guess the same jeans are very popular with polygamist men so they have the tab of the page folded down.

I also miss payphones! Not only is cell service bad where I live my teenage daughter does not want a cell phone. It is hard to believe they have no payphones in schools. It is fine during school days, she goes to the office but she stays after school to prepare for competitions and the events are held on weekends and the office is closed. Incredibly in 2016 not one of her friends that competes (these are science and math events, not sports) has a cell phone either. I was just complaining about this and my older child spotted a payphone near walmart so all the kids went to check it out. It was like a UFO had landed!

Maybe since Mary is now officially an adult, they are allowed to have one new book in the family. Maybe they pass it around to everyone, even the extended family. 

Sarah posted today about a dinner of beef pies made by Mary and NR-Anna.

Honestly, they don't look all that appetizing to me, not to mention quite small.  How many pies (which look more like dinner rolls) is each person allowed, I wonder? 

Also, the link to the recipe Sarah provided does not lead to the recipe.

ETA: I searched for the recipe on the Taste of Home web site where Sarah said they got the recipe, and got the same error message I got from Sarah's link.

As pictured on the Maxwell's site, these "pies" look about the size of appetizers.  I was curious if that's what they actually are.  Not to mention the teeny, tiny amount of ground beef.

18 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Sarah posted today about a dinner of beef pies made by Mary and NR-Anna.

Honestly, they don't look all that appetizing to me, not to mention quite small.  How many pies (which look more like dinner rolls) is each person allowed, I wonder? 

Also, the link to the recipe Sarah provided does not lead to the recipe.

ETA: I searched for the recipe on the Taste of Home web site where Sarah said they got the recipe, and got the same error message I got from Sarah's link.

As pictured on the Maxwell's site, these "pies" look about the size of appetizers.  I was curious if that's what they actually are.  Not to mention the teeny, tiny amount of ground beef.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/muffin-cup-cheddar-beef-pies  

Equal amounts frozen bread dough and ground beef.  (2 lbs each) the blog picture looks pretty bread heavy.  

2 meat pies (calculated without spaghetti sauce) equals 482 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 850 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein.

Does that seem high cal high carb to anyone?

12 minutes ago, salex said:

Equal amounts frozen bread dough and ground beef.  (2 lbs each) the blog picture looks pretty bread heavy.  

2 meat pies (calculated without spaghetti sauce) equals 482 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 850 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein.

Thanks salex.

Yes, very high calorie for two small rolls.  And a ton of sodium.

The Maxwell version seems quite bread heavy compared to the recipe picture, but then this is the Maxwells who don't add beef to their burritos we're talking about.

There's a trick to making stuffed breads like that and it involves making the edges of the dough round thinner than the center. That way, when you gather up the dough around the filling, the thinner edges make it so you don't end up with a mass of bread at the bottom. Dough heavy or not, the Maxwell version looks gray and unappetizing. 

I wonder if the Maxwell's know about the shooting in Kansas today.   BTW most Meals in max hell are grey and unappetizing

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

BTW most Meals in max hell are grey and unappetizing

Just like Steve

15 hours ago, salex said:

I do low carb, and 45 carbs for two muffins/rolls is about right. The meat itself would not have very many carbs at all, so that's all for the bread.

Looks very meh and not amazing. I mean, I'd eat and probably like it, but I've certainly had better meat pies before. I'm not even sure those really count as pies. And yeah, they look like an apetizer or maybe, as in the link, a side with some soup. 

Hey, has anyone noticed how the Maxwells area always wearing puffer vests and jackets in doors? Do they not allow heat in their home? 

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

Looks very meh and not amazing. I mean, I'd eat and probably like it, but I've certainly had better meat pies before. I'm not even sure those really count as pies. And yeah, they look like an apetizer or maybe, as in the link, a side with some soup. 

Hey, has anyone noticed how the Maxwells area always wearing puffer vests and jackets in doors? Do they not allow heat in their home? 

Exactly. It looks like a bread roll/muffin with meat at the top.

February 21: "We’ve had some amazing weather for February"

February 25:  "Anna and Mary treated us to an amazing dinner this evening"

Time to break out the thesaurus, Sarah.

I know I'm supposed to be amazed by this recipe but honestly it is crap.  You use frozen dough, ground beef, Italian seasoning,  and shredded cheese.  Whoo hoo.  And it took 2 people to make this?  They sound very bready and flavorless.  When I make similar pies I use my own bread recipe which is rolled out very thin and made the size of a pasty.  Plus I cook shredded cabbage in with the beef so that the inside is moist and flavorful. Or you could just make traditional Cornish pasties with potatoes and carrots which would also be more flavorful.  If I HAD to make Sarah's recipe for some reason, I would season the meat heavily so it could compete with all of that bread-- Moroccan style perhaps with garlic, cinnamon, turmeric, and saffron.

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

I think fundie women like those zip up vests. It covers everything up. 

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

When they built the house, they installed a wood-burning furnace in the basement, as I recall.  I'm not sure if that was the primary source of heat, but I believe it was.  It's possible they don't keep the house warm because the furnace isn't efficient.  I don't know.  I remember a blog-follower asked him about the furnace since Stevie only posted a couple of photos without much detail, and he said he would come back with more information "as time allows" and then he never did.

2 minutes ago, WonderingInWA said:

I remember a blog-follower asked him about the furnace since Stevie only posted a couple of photos without much detail, and he said he would come back with more information "as time allows" and then he never did.

"As time allows" :pb_lol: 

If they're making beef pies then what got dropped from the meal rotation? Sarah got a dog, is taking solo plane trips, and now the two-week meal rotation is in total disarray. What's gotten into these people?

24 minutes ago, Seven Severn said:

If they're making beef pies then what got dropped from the meal rotation? Sarah got a dog, is taking solo plane trips, and now the two-week meal rotation is in total disarray. What's gotten into these people?

I know. It's scaring me a little bit. If we find out next that Jesse is now sleeping in until 8 am on Saturdays, I'm gonna lose it. 

I've made similar snacks before (because I do consider those meat pies a snack).  But I use canned biscuit dough, form each into a thin cup in a muffin tin and fill it with pizza toppings.  There is less bread in each one than what the Maxwells are showing.  These "Pizza Cups" are nothing fancy but the kids loved them. They were something fun for junior high girls to whip up during sleepovers or whatever.  Interestingly, I think my recipe came from Taste of Home as well.  I used to subscribe to that magazine until I realized most of the recipes were different versions of the same thing.  Ten or twelve issues is all you need for plenty of very simple ideas. 

I wonder if the Maxwell women get the magazine or just look at the website.  Would Steve allow a magazine in the house??

49 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I think fundie women like those zip up vests. It covers everything up. 

LOL, I'm sure. But I've also seen John, Jesse and Joseph in them, so I was wondering if they just don't heat the house. 

45 minutes ago, WonderingInWA said:

When they built the house, they installed a wood-burning furnace in the basement, as I recall.  I'm not sure if that was the primary source of heat, but I believe it was.  It's possible they don't keep the house warm because the furnace isn't efficient.  I don't know.  I remember a blog-follower asked him about the furnace since Stevie only posted a couple of photos without much detail, and he said he would come back with more information "as time allows" and then he never did.

Their house is pretty big, I can't imagine a wood-burning stove would be sufficient. Typical of Steve to never actually update on a question. 

Perhaps they keep the heat low to save money - I can see Steve being cheap about that. 

4 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

LOL, I'm sure. But I've also seen John, Jesse and Joseph in them, so I was wondering if they just don't heat the house. 

Their house is pretty big, I can't imagine a wood-burning stove would be sufficient. Typical of Steve to never actually update on a question. 

Perhaps they keep the heat low to save money - I can see Steve being cheap about that. 

No, this wasn't just a stove, it was a full-on furnace, and it was in the basement.  Stevie has an engineering background so I would have thought the design would have been sufficient for heating the entire house.  My inlaws had something like that in their 4000 sq. ft. house, so I know it can be done, but of course Stevie never explained any of it to anyone.

Archived