IGNORED

Sarah Maxwell took a plane trip and Mary posts OCC

Seven Severn

37 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Didn't she use marshmallow fluff in that? I'm pretty sure that's not kosher. 

She just uses regular old marshmallows.  There are pareve marshmallows made with gelatin derived from fish and there are vegan marshmallows made with plant gelatin.  With ordinary marshmallows, they've got gelatin from a mammal source and thus can't be eaten with diary. 

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:my_huh: It's temperatures *in* the 70s, Poor Sarah; it's not temperatures *of* the 70s.

Or maybe it is, in Leavenworth these days. I don't know! Heck, Steve's got *me* doubting myself.  Egad.

19 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

She just uses regular old marshmallows.  There are pareve marshmallows made with gelatin derived from fish and there are vegan marshmallows made with plant gelatin.  With ordinary marshmallows, they've got gelatin from a mammal source and thus can't be eaten with diary. 

Why couldn't she take 5 minutes of thought and get pareve marshmallows?

I just remember watching that scene and thinking "wait... that's not kosher is it? And this is for Hannakuh?"

Oh my god and I forgot the pearls!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj89Ax60DEI&noredirect=1

We talking Sandy Lee in here?! The Food Channel was the first time I hate-watched a show. I can still feel those snark feelings rumbling inside me for the first time. Was it Talk Soup that always ragged on her show? 

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@Hane, it wasn't the Hanukkah cake, but once she made a dish for a Jewish holiday with bacon in it.  That seems a bit inappropriate, no?

Not if you don't keep kosher---

On 2/28/2016 at 6:49 PM, Lady Grass Lake said:

I make something like those I call Grobrucks - my Mom's name for them.   I use thawed frozen dough dinner rolls for the bread part, then you don't have to divide it out evenly.   I use slaw mix that has carrots and red cabbage.  You could do a pound each of beef and ground turkey, or leaner beef like ground sirloin, but I like to have it a little greasy to soften down the cabbage.  

I brown about 2 pounds of ground chuck and then drain off extra grease.  Then I add chopped onions and shredded cabbage, Cook the onions and slaw, salt and pepper to taste in the browned meat until the onions are clear and the cabbage is cooked and reduced way down.  I use more onions that most people so about a cup or more and possibly more slaw.  Let it cool down so it's easy to handle.

I flatten down each thawed roll until it's a 1/4 inch thick, size of a small saucer.  Put at least a half cup of the meat cabbage mix in the center of the dough and tn bring all the edges together on the top of the meat and lay them seam side down on a cookie sheet lined with no stick Reynolds foil. Avoid getting any meat mixed or grease on the outside 1/2" or so of the dough circle so you press the edges together.   I let them rise a little bit, to about the size of a hamburger bun and bake them at 350 degrees until the dough is browned.   They are good hot, or cold and make a good lunch.   Store cooked pies in the fridge.  

Sounds like what they call a Runza in Nebraska. So good!

Maybe the seventies had really warm winters? :P

I'm sad no one got my "September with the Moodys" Fringe reference, oh well.

*imagines Sarah meeting an alternate universe Sarah*

11 minutes ago, CyborgKin said:

Now do you really want her poor head to explode?

28 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Now do you really want her poor head to explode?

In a metaphorical way... maybe?

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

:my_huh: It's temperatures *in* the 70s, Poor Sarah; it's not temperatures *of* the 70s.

Or maybe it is, in Leavenworth these days. I don't know! Heck, Steve's got *me* doubting myself.  Egad.

Steve's pretty darn good at getting grown people to doubt themselves.

47 minutes ago, CyborgKin said:

:clap:

17 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Didn't she use marshmallow fluff in that? I'm pretty sure that's not kosher. 

Yes, and she decorated it with the piece de resistance: an eight-pointed star.

Marshmallow fluff, the kind you see in any grocery store (white canister with blue writing) is kosher OU. Great for Whoopie Pies. 

her recipes would only make sense if they were based on the concept of someone high off of their gourd wander around the grocery store and create random food combos. like supermarket sweep meets top chef meets cheech and chong. 

Anna and Mary took a selfie of all the nieces and nephews.  How come the uncles don't take selfies

Teri's latest Mom's Corner is up.  Sorry Teri but you failed at being a Mommy.

That's an old Corner, isn't it??? The most recent one I've seen is about guarding priorities. Unless you got a mommy-related corner in your email??

42 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

That's an old Corner, isn't it??? The most recent one I've seen is about guarding priorities. Unless you got a mommy-related corner in your email??

I just got an email on it

49 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

I just got an email on it

Ah

On March 1, 2016 at 5:18 PM, CyborgKin said:

I think August with the Moodys would be better since August had the capacity for love and the willingness to sacrifice himself for it. The Moodys/Maxwells could only be so lucky. 

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 3:09 PM, WonderingInWA said:
12 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Anna and Mary took a selfie of all the nieces and nephews.  How come the uncles don't take selfies

Perhaps the uncles have a modicum of self respect?

On 2/28/2016 at 2:54 PM, twin2 said:

She says acorns, but my money has always been on corn nuts.

I remember watching that episode when it was on TV (I luved hate-watching that show).  She did the same cake 3 times!  Store-bought angle food cake, frosting where she mixed something and some kind of add in.  That episode was epic.

The one thing, well one of many things, that makes me scratch my head while watching that episode, who puts frosting and angel food cake?  Any angel food cake I have ever had or made has a glaze, or nothing and is just served with fruit and whipped cream.  It is such a light cake, all you would taste is that heavy frosting.  Also, it has to be hard to frost and angel food cake, it is so spongy and wobbly...

For the record, I used to eat frosted angel food cake as a kid, like for birthday parties, etc. It's relatively easy to frost if you use a lightish frosting and swirl it on.

Nowadays if I make it I'll just add a strawberry compote/drizzle, but I loved it with tinted frosting when I was in elementary/middle school. 

Archived