IGNORED

Erika Shupe *glower pout* Large Families on Purpose Part 5

keen23

FWIW, have been hanging around with Seriously Kinky People for years, where the common rule for bathrooms and shower space was "all genders, all the time".

Biggest issue (advantage!) I found was that when cis-female-types REALLY had to pee, the line for the "originally male" bathrooms was a whole lot smaller.

(Back in nursing school, where female-cis-critters outnumbered males with Dangly Boy Bits by a 10:1 ratio, we used to routinely seize the male bathrooms. Hey, if you have 10 minutes between classes, make it happen!)

Even for non-nursing-trained critters, you can get very casual and comfy about whatever parts are exposed--but, of course, in most US bathrooms I've seen, there are private toilet stalls, so NOT a big issue.

FWIW, I've had a whole LOT more concerns about being aggressively and offensively sexually harassed on the public streets of Washington, DC, than I've had in kinky settings....just a thought. (Of course, most kinky people I know truly believe "no means NO!", and they don't call privilege because Penis.)

*where's the eyeroll emoticon?*

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also have no problem using male restrooms if the only distinction is the label on the door. I've darted around many women to do that. You have to gauge your setting obviously...but yeah. ...They can be messier though. Not my first choice. :)

I remember using a men's room at a concert years ago...I had to GO...and there was an outrageous line for the ladies' room nearest our seats...no line at the men's room so in I went. They had stalls w/doors so I did my thing...having to go was WAY more important than thinking about some guy maybe looking...

Oops...guess I'm not "ladylike" enough for Erika...who the fuck cares!

7 hours ago, December said:

Well, he didn't pose as a woman (and from the article, didn't apparently identify as a woman or trans person), but this happened in Seattle earlier this week. It seems like it was maybe an attempt to protest the law, while not grasping that the law isn't meant to defend males who identify as men just waltzing into the locker room where little girls are changing?

http://komonews.com/news/local/man-found-in-womens-locker-room-cites-new-transgender-bathroom-rule

that rule...i don't think it means what he thinks it means...

There's a gay bar near me that has only a unisex bathroom and a men's room.  I've had to use the unisex one before and let's just say there's less privacy there than the typical public bathroom (we're talking glory holes in the stalls).  

Was I the most comfortable?  No, but I went in, did my business, and then left.  Was it an appropriate setting for families?  No, but legally you can't enter this establishment if you are under 21.

On 2/17/2016 at 9:32 AM, browncoatslytherin said:

but couldn't a creep like that just pose as a woman and do the same thing before?

Or, you know, just walk into the bathroom. They're not exactly Ft. Knox. If a predator wanted to go into a women's room to attack someone, there's nothing actually stopping them.

Erika loves linking to "aholyexperience" blog, which has got to be one of the most repetitive blogs ever. The latest one is "when you're stressed, who can you trust?" JESUS! That's literally the point of EVERY post. Feel stressed? Feel sad? Feeling uncertain about life? JEEBUS JEEBUS JEEBUS. Not to mention that you have to scroll through like a zillion enormous photos with every post. 

50 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Erika loves linking to "aholyexperience" blog, which has got to be one of the most repetitive blogs ever. The latest one is "when you're stressed, who can you trust?" JESUS! That's literally the point of EVERY post. Feel stressed? Feel sad? Feeling uncertain about life? JEEBUS JEEBUS JEEBUS. Not to mention that you have to scroll through like a zillion enormous photos with every post. 

Her writing style makes me want to poke my eyeballs out. 

On 2/9/2016 at 5:19 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

I'd love to see her and Michelle Duggar on a Wife Swap style show.  She'd have a heart attack when she sees the Duggar pantry and I'd love to see her clean up their diet.

I want this so much. I'm sorry to interrupt thread flow, but omg, I really want this to happen. :56247951a4b60_32(2):

I'm curious, does anyone know the history of why in the US, bathroom stalls have these gaps at all? It just seems highly inconvenient.

43 minutes ago, nellautumngirl said:

I'm curious, does anyone know the history of why in the US, bathroom stalls have these gaps at all? It just seems highly inconvenient.

It's less money (less material), easier to clean between stalls, and makes it easier to see if people are engaging in illicit activities (taking drugs, having sex) in the stalls. Though I've noticed in wealthier areas the bathroom stalls in restaurants and such tend to be more private.

On 2/15/2016 at 3:23 AM, elliha said:

. I have also seen some bigger toilets with a "urinal room" and the rest are stalls. The urinal room has a door that closes but are not labelled as a "men's room" so I could technically go in there but I assume it would be creepy as I wouldn't be able to use it. 

Just have to say that my adult daughter can totally use a urinal. When we are at fairs she walks right in, hikes up her skirt (no underwear, btw), props her foot on the wall and pees in the urinal.  I don't know how she does it!  That is all.

6 hours ago, gibbsgirls said:

Just have to say that my adult daughter can totally use a urinal. When we are at fairs she walks right in, hikes up her skirt (no underwear, btw), props her foot on the wall and pees in the urinal.  I don't know how she does it!  That is all.

Impressive. I know that a friend of my father who was an aid worker in Peru in the 70s said that the women there peed standing up but they were wearing long skirts and just spread their legs a bit to not pee on their feet. At first he had wondered why the women sometimes just stopped dead in their tracks in the middle of the road but soon he realized that they always left a puddle of something when they did. Some would even poop like that, just stop and poop where they were standing. Men on the other hand where expected to retreat into a more secluded area since they had to pull their pants down to poop.

1 hour ago, iweartanktops6 said:

Yeah, I remember that post. :roll:

And cheese and nuts are fats, not proteins. 

I'm sure they get the big breakfasts on the weekends just because Bob refuses to starve. 

They do contain protein.

3 hours ago, umsami said:

We have "chip day" once a week where we all share a single bag of chips with our salads (compared to munching on chips all week or buying them as a staple food item for the pantry - too expensive and not healthy).

Okay, what does that even mean? "Bag" is not a unit of measurement; bags of chips come in a large variety of sizes. And a salad and chips is a weird meal. Not that I have a problem with weird meals by any means, but I'm not the one claiming to be the perfect homemaker. If I was, I sure wouldn't serve salads and supplemental chips once a week for the "fun" meal.

6 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I can't stand that blog. It's as bad as kelly crawford's dear weary mama bullcrap but in the middle of the post there are big artistic pictures of teacups or some other unrelated to the topic non-sense. 

@gibbsgirls, it's possible to do with a little practice.  I've lived in several older barracks that had urinals in the women's rooms (because the buildings predated us) and we may have experimented with it...

So Erika's linked to some post about how long a homeschool day is. Sure, OK, homeschoolers have a different way of doing things and can get the day done faster. However, the author's highschoolers do 5-6 hours a day. Erika's highschoolers do about 2, 2.5. Biiiiiiiiiiiiig difference. Literally all Erika's highschoolers seem to do are English, Math, Science and History/Geography (I think) in 30-min increments. Man, I swear even the Maxwells spent longer on school per day!! 

On 2/11/2016 at 4:03 PM, samira_catlover said:

Folks, can I go off on a major cyberbinge over here about basic healthcare providers? Pretty please?

Chiropractors MAY have some usefulness regarding neck/back problems (and that's phrased pretty generally--don't have any faith in subluxations and such).  The same for osteopaths (although a few might be able to do good things). 

Is it a total surrender to BigPharma and Organized Medicine to actually take the kids (or even adults) to a reasonably competent physician's assistant, a licensed nurse practitioner (FWIW, our choice for basic health care), or even a RealDoctor?

Look: I firmly believe in some real basic herbs to temporarily relieve VERY simple symptoms. (Have made a WHOLE lot of Menstrual Tea for people, not to mention stomach-soothing brews and stuff for Cranky Teething Babies, and plenty of chamomile/skullcap tea for nice sleep.) But that does not address the basic issues, and for endometriosis and similar, that's WAYYYY working above my pay grade.

We have lots of very skilled providers (here in the USA): why not use them?  Are they ALL in the Thrall of Big Pharma, and never have kinfolk who can use the latest and best that (*whimper*) Organized Medicine might provide?

Osteopaths (DOs) in the US have the same training as MDs plus similar training to chiropractors in osteopathic manipulation.  DOs are board certified in many of  the same specialties as MDs (plus neuromusculoskeletel medicine)...and often pass ABMS boards as well as osteopathic board exams.  These days, DO and MD medical students apply for the same residencies and fellowships.  They are not on the same level as chiropractors.  It is rare to find a DO who only does OMM...but even if he does, he still completed four years of medical school, one year of internship, and a two year residency.  Usually, the specialty is an add-on to a family practice residency. 

As for Erica and her diet, I remember reading on her blog that they actually supplement the salads and smoothies somewhat.  Not as much as I would like...though.  Hold on...looking for it...http://www.largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2011/09/large-family-meal-planning-shopping.html

"We then also supplement our smoothies with our favorite Whole Wheat Bread Rolls, or 10-Grain Muffins, or Breakfast Cookies, or whole wheat bagels (but as a supplement it is a very small quantity compared to being the whole meal)."

They get wholewheat pancakes on Saturdays and Bob makes eggs and turkey bacon/sausage on Sunday. 

"We supplement our salads during the week with one of a few different items. We either purchase or make home-made one of these recipe ideas that lasts us about a week, and then we change to a different supplement for the next week. Here are some of our favorites.

We enjoy Ausie Bites (whole grain mini-muffins) with our salads.

We have "chip day" once a week where we all share a single bag of chips with our salads (compared to munching on chips all week or buying them as a staple food item for the pantry - too expensive and not healthy).

Whole grain crackers such as Wheat Thins or Triscuits. Sometimes pretzels.

And if they're still hungry I offer them nuts or cheese for additional protein."

I would definitely lose weight at the Shupe house, especially if I didn't have my own car to escape for supplemental food with.

I'm sure they get the big breakfasts on the weekends just because Bob refuses to starve. 

10 hours ago, iweartanktops6 said:

Not to mention that when Bob does the camping breakfast, it's scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, that kind of thing. When Erika does it, it's instant oatmeal. I know oatmeal's healthy and all, and I like it, but god dammit it's a holiday! Loosen up a little, will ya?

14 hours ago, desertvixen said:

@gibbsgirls, it's possible to do with a little practice.  I've lived in several older barracks that had urinals in the women's rooms (because the buildings predated us) and we may have experimented with it...

You are awesome, and I think you should do a post about how that move is executed, because all I can picture is a messy scenario. 

@iweartanktops6 Now I'm going to be calling you "Olivia" in my mind.  Hope you're okay with that! 

@mango_fandango Her short school days are so tragic.  Those kids could be doing so much more, and learning so much more.  Have we ever heard of her taking the kids to the library?  

12 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

So Erika's linked to some post about how long a homeschool day is. Sure, OK, homeschoolers have a different way of doing things and can get the day done faster. However, the author's highschoolers do 5-6 hours a day. Erika's highschoolers do about 2, 2.5. Biiiiiiiiiiiiig difference. Literally all Erika's highschoolers seem to do are English, Math, Science and History/Geography (I think) in 30-min increments. Man, I swear even the Maxwells spent longer on school per day!! 

I think Erika likes to go find other mothers talking about homeschooling so she can use their experiences to boost her own, but ignores some key facts. First off, most homeschooling parents are not trying to teach so many kids at so many different grade levels. Generally, the ones that have more than 2-3 kids will supplement mom's teaching with a tutor or co-op. My mother is a retired public school teacher and spent a year tutoring 2 homeschooled brothers and some of their friends so that the mothers could focus on the younger children.

Secondly, there may be perfectly good homeschoolers who only "do school" for a couple hours a day, but they are probably spending more of the day doing other things that are educational. Or maybe they're doing other things that help them grow/develop and foster their interests, like team sports, music lessons or part-time jobs. Erika has mentioned taking the kids to the library, but we know their other outside activities are severely restricted.

Finally, most reasonable parents who homeschool are doing it because they genuinely believe it is the best way for their kids to learn. Maybe the local schools are not up to par, maybe the kid has learning difficulties, maybe the parents just want to play that role for their kids and have the financial means to do so. But I've never known a homeschooling parent who expects their kids to follow the same schedule/rotation all the time, and expect that their kids will all do the exact same things through their education. In Erika's case, it's like she's sticking her homeschooled kids into a public school mode, but she's not trained to deal with that and doesn't look for outside resources.

So many people I've seen who homeschool recognize that they may need to look for alternatives as their children get older, especially for high school. There are so many more opportunities and things to learn for kids these days that their parents would never have been exposed to. There is no way Erika is qualified to teach more than the bare minimum to her high-school age children, but they will never be given the opportunity to choose anything else.

42 minutes ago, slickcat79 said:

There is no way Erika is qualified to teach more than the bare minimum to her high-school age children, but they will never be given the opportunity to choose anything else.

Of course they won't. Bob and Erika aren't interested in higher learning. Just enough education to get by plus the Bible. I'm not sure if they do Bible time like the Maxwells come to think of it... Hmm...surely that is part of any good fundies schedule.

19 hours ago, Coy Koi said:

Okay, what does that even mean? "Bag" is not a unit of measurement; bags of chips come in a large variety of sizes. And a salad and chips is a weird meal. Not that I have a problem with weird meals by any means, but I'm not the one claiming to be the perfect homemaker. If I was, I sure wouldn't serve salads and supplemental chips once a week for the "fun" meal.

One regular bag of chips divided by 10 people is going to be just enough chips to keep you wanting more. Contrast it with the salad, and the kids are going to think, "Salad bad, chips good."

All she's doing is making junk food appear highly desirable and scarce. Once those kids get out of the house, when they find that chips are cheap and easily available, they are going to go nuts.

Why not offer the kids a nice, hot vegetable soup with some homemade or high-quality rolls or maybe some maple-syrup sweetened yams? Serve that along with some chips. The chips won't seem nearly as wonderful when paired with these delicious and healthy foods. THAT would be teaching the kids to eat healthily. Not, "here's a terribly boring salad (that you have every day) along with just a very few chips, since your 8 brothers and sisters get some too." 

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived